Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the AS forum. You've come a long way in a short time with your Airstream. It only gets better. Thanks for keeping us updated.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Vacation

Hi all you alumiheads out there. I just got back from the Black Hills and all that area has to offer with my wife Jennifer, and three sons, 11 and six year old twins. We kept track of all of the license plates from the various states and we saw 38 states. The other fun game we played to pass the time was that I gave a quarter (sorry I'm cheap) to whoever spotted the first Airstream for each day. I was surprised to only see 8 in 5 days and only one was in tow. Is this normal? Is my 1962 Overlander or other vintage models getting to be fairly rare? There was no shortage of ginormous RV's towing ginormous trailers on the way to Sturgis for Bike Week which starts this weekend.

I sure wish that I would have found Gerti (our AS) last year so I would have had her done in time for this vacation but we did have a wonderful time anyway. The kids are excited to have our first sleep in the backyard but she needs a bit more cleaning. The mysterious foul odor is getting better every day. I placed a box of baking soda and a box of dryer sheets in the AS per my brother Brad's suggestion. Running the air conditioning every now and then helps too.

Well, today is the last day of my vacation so I hope to hit it hard today and get a few things knocked off my LONG list.

Good times!
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is the smell kind of medicinal. Sort of hospital surgery room disenfectant like? A little piney mixed with spoiled(rotten) apples? I think you know that smell well. What is it like? Describe, please.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks - it is enjoyable to see the Airstream come to life. Can't wait to see more.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Rear Vent

Cross these off the list!

1. Finally got the rear vent all painted, polished, old motor reinstalled, new astrodome and seal installed, etc. Thanks to my brother Bob for coming over and checking out the wiring with his multimeter. Also, thanks to Louis for the fan and motor!

2. Vintage hitch lock key made and installed.

3. Rear plumbing stack Vulkem'd and polished while I had it apart. My brother Brad is a sneaky one. He told me to polish the area around the vent stack so I wouldn't have to take it apart later during polishing. Well, now I totally have the polishing bug. That one tiny area looks SO perfect.

Tomorrow I am going to have the front window glass cut and hope to get it installed. I also would like to get going on the front astrodome but I'm short a lifter. I thought I had one but it is missing the top part the attaches to the dome.

Bye for now. Friends are coming over for Mojitos (and, of course, a progress report on Gerti.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0805.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	64878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0798.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	64879  

Name:	DSCN0806.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	64880  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Smell

The smell is hard to describe. It is not pleasant. Smells old, musty, dusty, a bit medicinal like you mentioned. Every repair, new paint, etc. helps a little bit. I haven't yet removed all of the soft materials since I'm hoping to use them for patterns. Once I do, I expect the smell will mostly give up. Also, I'm fixing all of the leaks one at a time and once I get that handled, I'm hoping to assess the floor rot and figure out whether I can get away with some sort of resin fix or a total floor replacement. No matter what, all of the leaks need to be dealt with first.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Great pictures, love to see the progress and keep it up. I think you've managed to get a great deal done in a short time. And you have TWO useful brothers, how fortunate you are!

Looking forward to more whenever you get the chance.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #68
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wish I could send you a sample of what mine smelled like before. The medicinal smell is of rotting floor. As the fungus breaks down the plywood it produces some alcohol and releases the formaldehyde in the glue keeping the layers of the plywood together. It is a very unique smell that will suddenly be gone when the plywood gets replaced. I can detect that smell hidden by many things now for my nose is trained to the smell if rotting Airstream floor. At the Trailer Jam, I went in more than one trailer and detected that smell.
That vent stack looks good, but you will be breaking the seal once you remove the black tank to fix what's going on under it.
The windows... little hint. If the glass is good, when you replace the rubber seals and gaskets, and the buythal tape under the glass has still got a seal to the glass, just let it be. I tried on every window to get the glass out, and you can, if you break it. With exception of one, all my glass is new. I learn slowly.
You biggest leaks are on the end cap seams. The sad part of these leaks is how long it takes before you start to see the evidence. Sometimes you smell it before you see it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Window

Hi Frank,
I'm off to the hardware store to get a new piece of glass for the large front window. The PO had put in a terrible piece of plexiglass in there poorly and it blew out in a bad storm we had a few weeks ago. And by the looks of the rotten groucho upper area, it had been leaking for some time. I'm also going to try to get the new pigtail put on so I can check out my lights.

I'm not really looking forward to the floor replacement but when I bought the trailer, I was expecting the worst. I am looking forward to the result of having fresh floors and knowing what is under the floor. What are your thoughts on the torsion suspension? Did you replace? I have read a number of blogs and I can't remember if I read that or not.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2020 30 Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
We learned a good lesson when restoring all of the windows on our AS. A few popped right out because the PO used the wrong product to adhere the glass to the frames. On the ones where the original sealant was used, they were all sealed on the top and two sides, the bottom of each was not. After breaking three windows trying to get them out, we discovered that using the steamer we had been using to clean out the window frames and grooves for the bulb seal to heat the outside of the glass and slowly slide a blade to cut the old sealant, we were able to get the windows out without breaking them. The steamer was also useful in loosening up the old sealant stuck to the frames making it easier to scrape off.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2020 30 Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62-Lander View Post
Cross these off the list!

1. Finally got the rear vent all painted, polished, old motor reinstalled, new astrodome and seal installed, etc. Thanks to my brother Bob for coming over and checking out the wiring with his multimeter. Also, thanks to Louis for the fan and motor!

2. Vintage hitch lock key made and installed.

3. Rear plumbing stack Vulkem'd and polished while I had it apart. My brother Brad is a sneaky one. He told me to polish the area around the vent stack so I wouldn't have to take it apart later during polishing. Well, now I totally have the polishing bug. That one tiny area looks SO perfect.

Tomorrow I am going to have the front window glass cut and hope to get it installed. I also would like to get going on the front astrodome but I'm short a lifter. I thought I had one but it is missing the top part the attaches to the dome.

Bye for now. Friends are coming over for Mojitos (and, of course, a progress report on Gerti.)
That looks great!! I am now going to have to polish the parts on our rear fan. I did not even think of doing that. I am glad everything we sent worked out for you. Those parts look much better in your AS than in a box in our garage.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #72
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62-Lander View Post
Hi Frank,
I'm off to the hardware store to get a new piece of glass for the large front window. The PO had put in a terrible piece of plexiglass in there poorly and it blew out in a bad storm we had a few weeks ago. And by the looks of the rotten groucho upper area, it had been leaking for some time. I'm also going to try to get the new pigtail put on so I can check out my lights.

I'm not really looking forward to the floor replacement but when I bought the trailer, I was expecting the worst. I am looking forward to the result of having fresh floors and knowing what is under the floor. What are your thoughts on the torsion suspension? Did you replace? I have read a number of blogs and I can't remember if I read that or not.
did you buy all the seals and the buthayl tape? VTS has all the right ones for our trailer. The buthayl he sell, fits the frame perfect and even aligns itself into the groove before you pull back the backing paper.

My axles are still holding some angle, but will need to be replaced soon. I will be doing it within the next 6 months.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Window

The corner welds are broken so I'm dealing with that. I also just ordered the round shaped seal and enough of the other to do the rest of the windows. Looks like I'm going to have to plastic up again for a couple of days!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2020 30 Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Here are some posts on your window issue. Hope they help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post505860

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
New Pigtail

Ladies and Gents,
I have lights! There is something mysterious, frightening, but exhilarating about lights. It's pretty cool to see the lights come to life after being parked and neglected since 1992. The pictures show the wiring underneath the trailer pulled through and access panel. I was able to cut the old plug off and as I pulled it out through the access panel I pulled through a wire. I was then able to attach the wire to the new cord and pull it through the boxed frame. I used this incredible forum to pull up a wiring diagram and it worked great. My neighbor, Big Al, came over and tested the different wires together to figure out the brake lights and turn signals. Three side marker lights and one clearance light are burned out but I ordered all new aluminum base side and clearance lights from VTS. Can't wait to get them on. That does mean that I'll have to polish around them while they are off and my brother suggested that I rivet them on. I agree.

If anyone is interested in going relic, I have some sort of old round adapter plug. I can post a picture if there is interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0810 copy.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	64997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0811 copy.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	64998  

Name:	DSCN0812 copy.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	64999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0813 copy.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	65000  

Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #76
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Congratulations! I'll bet that feels like a big hurdle has been accomplished. What's next on your list? How's the propane system progressing? You'll be camping in her soon at this rate.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 AM   #77
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
that looks exactly like mine does.... except now yours is neat and orderly and mine still looks like the photo...

Did yo get the buthayl seal for the glass too? VTS has that also.... are they in your speed dial yet?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Windows

Yeah Frank. After re-reading your thread on windows, I went ahead and ordered enough of all of the seals to do the entire trailer. They are all pretty shrunk and it doesn't make sense to have any more rot going on. I'm hoping to get the new front window in this week.

Calling all Airstreamers 59-63. Does anyone have one extra lifter I can purchase? I don't need the T handle ( I have two extras). If so, I can get my front astrodome installed this week.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #79
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
send me you address in a PM again... just one? I guess it needs to be totally refurbished too, in perfect working order...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Front Window Frame

I was fortunate enough to have a friend weld up all four corners of my front window frame. Although very square, one corner is not 100% flush. I hope that the butyl tape will take care of this. If not, I'm going to have to break the weld and redo.

Tags
1962, 1962 overlander