Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Hi,
Enjoying your thread, interior looks like it's in pretty good condition. I have a '60 Tradewind (2' shorter) and it looks a lot like yours inside. I'm sure you're aware that there are many items that have value (even if they're not working).

Since my refrigerator works just fine, I'm going to guess yours does too. If it doesn't and if you're going to replace it - don't throw anything away, 'cause there are people out there (me) who would be willing to pay thru their nose for certain parts and pieces.

Good luck w/your trailer, the early 60's are great. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
MarkR

(here's a link to a photo of what my table looks like (actually it is my table), i think they were still using this design in '62: 1960Tradewind6)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Hi,
Enjoying your thread, interior looks like it's in pretty good condition. I have a '60 Tradewind (2' shorter) and it looks a lot like yours inside. I'm sure you're aware that there are many items that have value (even if they're not working).

Since my refrigerator works just fine, I'm going to guess yours does too. If it doesn't and if you're going to replace it - don't throw anything away, 'cause there are people out there (me) who would be willing to pay thru their nose for certain parts and pieces.

Good luck w/your trailer, the early 60's are great. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
MarkR

(here's a link to a photo of what my table looks like (actually it is my table), i think they were still using this design in '62: 1960Tradewind6)
What was said is all true, there are people that are willing to pay thru the nose. However, there are some out there that practice "Airstream Spirit" They send others the extras, sometimes at no cost so that others can get their projects rolling. On http://www.thevap.com/ we discussed this thing called "Airstream Spirit" on episode 74. I have been very fortunate to have received many items I needed, sometimes out of the blue. The ability to reach out to someone with something you do not need and help them without any expectations is a wonderful feeling. I hope that somehow I can help you with your project.
My reefer broke down and if not for the help of a fellow forums member and a VAP fan, it might still be. I was however saved with the part I needed and now it works perfectly. These obsolete parts can be hard to find. I talked about the problem on episode #73 and talked about the solution on episode #74.
I guess what I am trying to get at is by giving you may in turn receive. Yin and yang. If you are not your brothers keeper, who will care for you, type thing.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Frank is a genuinely nice person, and the Airstream community is really fortunate to have him. The Airstream Spirit is strong in this one.

62-Lander-- I don't know the answer to your question about changing out the valves to the new OPD style, and getting tanks recertified, but here is one thread on the sub-forum for LPG and tanks and such where this topic is discussed, and there are probably more.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...new-40613.html

Seems like Ace is the place, and it should be fairly inexpensive. And, if problems are found, well then, you have found your excuse to buy the new shiny aluminum ones and your wife will certainly have to agree because it's a safety issue, right?

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Lucky

I feel so lucky to have found so many new friends in the Airstream world. I can't wait to get this toaster down the road so I can meet some of you! Thanks to everyone for posting helpful information and teaching me about the Airstream Spirit. I will take the sage advice here and save everything in the hopes that I can help someone out in the future and pay it forward. This is going to big a big project but the information here is remarkable.

Thanks again,

Barry
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Table

Hey MarkR,
Does the table attach or just sit flush against the street side? If it doesn't attach, I may try to go back to the previous owner to see if they still have it. I know they have the owners' manuals and some old pictures they said I could have. Luckily they don't live too far away.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up Early 1960s Airstream Tables

Greetings 62-Lander!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Assuming that your Overlander has the front lounge arrangement, it would have been provided with a small, drop-leaf dining table that typically stored between the street-side cabinet and sofa for travel. There also typically would have been a pair of Leg-O-Matic chairs as well -- in my Overlander, there is a storage space for the chairs in the rear wardrobe. The photos below are of my restored table (the top is new, the original was Formica that matched the countertops); the chairs are reproductions that I purchased several years ago from Camping World.

(The table with leaves dropped ready for travel.)

(The table opened ready for dining.)

The Leg-O-Matic chairs are below.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
Attached Images

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Table and Chairs

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the pictures. They are very helpful.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My table looks exactly like that except it has a white formica top. The legs are aqua that was the same color as the bathroom tub and walls. I bought my leg- o- matics on E Bay. They have a fan shaped back and are 1961 chairs. I have been told a hook was used to hold the table in place, but have seen no evidence of where it was mounted.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Hi Mark,
I'm not sure if the refer is working or not. I have only had the 110 plugged in a couple of times due to the weather beaten look of the power cord to the trailer. I have purchased a new one and hope to have it installed soon. I also do not have the keys for the Bargman (sp) locks so I have not had access to the back of the fridge. All of the interior lights and fans work. I have not checked the water or LP appliances out yet but I can't wait to see if they work or not.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
What was said is all true, there are people that are willing to pay thru the nose. However, there are some out there that practice "Airstream Spirit" They send others the extras, sometimes at no cost so that others can get their projects rolling. On Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast we discussed this thing called "Airstream Spirit" on episode 74. I have been very fortunate to have received many items I needed, sometimes out of the blue. The ability to reach out to someone with something you do not need and help them without any expectations is a wonderful feeling. I hope that somehow I can help you with your project.
My reefer broke down and if not for the help of a fellow forums member and a VAP fan, it might still be. I was however saved with the part I needed and now it works perfectly. These obsolete parts can be hard to find. I talked about the problem on episode #73 and talked about the solution on episode #74.
I guess what I am trying to get at is by giving you may in turn receive. Yin and yang. If you are not your brothers keeper, who will care for you, type thing.
I guess I already figured he's got "airstream spirit" . . . which I think you can have and not realize that the stinky, moldy, rusty . . . refrigerator that you're throwing out might have a door handle thumb peice that would make someone's world go 'round . . . that was the only point I was trying to make.
peace and love.
MarkR

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I totally agree with that. I was given a Klixson tongue for my Dometic. That is a totally obsolete part. There is no one out there stocking that stuff anymore. The gratitude for that jester is great let me tell you. A follow up to the Klixson tongue is that a guy in Chico Ca sent me the literature for how to care for and maintain the burner. It is like a big wheel and we all have to opportunity to help each other. The prices now on E Bay has gotten out of hand.
Mark, Is your fridge a gas only Dometic? Mine is the most favorite part of my trailer. It makes great ice, though in small quantities.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I totally agree with that. I was given a Klixson tongue for my Dometic. That is a totally obsolete part. There is no one out there stocking that stuff anymore. The gratitude for that jester is great let me tell you. A follow up to the Klixson tongue is that a guy in Chico Ca sent me the literature for how to care for and maintain the burner. It is like a big wheel and we all have to opportunity to help each other. The prices now on E Bay has gotten out of hand.
Mark, Is your fridge a gas only Dometic? Mine is the most favorite part of my trailer. It makes great ice, though in small quantities.
Yes, gas only. Cosmetically it looks a little rough but it seems to work fine. One thing a little unusual is I can't get the klixson valve thingy to open w/ a match or even a cigarette type lighter, I have to use one of those blow torches that plumbers use . . . I can't tell you how happy I was when I finally got it to "click".

Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
62-Lander, Sorry to highjack your thread, I think it is because we are all owners of sibling trailers so maybe it will help you....

Mark, when you push the button before the temperature adjuster, does the flame light below the Klixson tongue? It is kind of like a pilot light, except it goes out once you let go. Does that flame shoot into the end of a tube that runs to the front of the fridge? That tube is a mystery to me, I think it draws air to force the flame up and over the Klixson tongues eye surface. If you look at the june 18 entry on my blog, you will see a good picture of my assembly. The lower copper tube is the pilot and it has no orifice to come out of, it is just the tube. That flame shoots forward into the thing going forward, but the flame is curled up and over the Klixon valve. Once that gets hot, it allows the gas to flow. Maybe that pilot flame is not strong enough or not directed correctly to get the tongue hot enough. I do not think you should need a blow torch to light it. Once it is lit, does it stay lit? Even when towing? Even when filling up with gas at the gas station?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
One Small Step for Mankind

Well, I know it is just a step but doesn't it look good? I treated the step with a chemical rust preventative before applying a silver top coat. I have the tongue sandblasted, rust treated and ready to paint. I'll have those pictures posted tomorrow. I ordered a bunch of parts on line from Inland RV and VintageTrailerSupply.com so the fun (and spending) have begun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0613.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	64109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0652.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	64110  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0656 copy.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	64111  
Old 07-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am curious, how is the floor? have you stuck your head way back into the vanity and pulled up a tile? Have you stuck anything into the plywood along the perimeter of the back wall? It is a 1962 and every 1962 owner I have ever talked with was very surprised by what they found. The step looks great, but you need to look deeper in the cabinet. When I bought Anna, I thought that I had bought the one and only pristine trailer out there. I thought I was going to just clean her up and camp off in the sunset. Then it rained, and drops started to appear at every window and I followed the drops down and then I found the spot where the water was going. Not trying to pee on your campfire, just want you to be sure to find that stuff before you ice the cake. The end caps actually make it more convenient for the rain to flow in, in some areas. That double walled construction will often keep you from seeing that water leaking in. The "c" channel also will hide what is going on under it. Please check that area out. I hope later today you PM me or post a nasty one here about what a fool I am or how wrong I am and how I had you searching for no reason at all. I think how ever you will be surprised by what you find.
If you look at my january 3, 2008 posting to my blog you will see what I am talking about. Or this one... 1961 Airstream Restoration. It is inherent, but can be overcome.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Floor

I'm fairly sure what you are saying is going to be the case although I hope not nearly as bad. The floor is a bit soft around the front door but I assumed that was because the seals were bad on the door and the curb side windows near the front door due to the design look like they would leak even when new. I'm really hoping that I don't have to do a full frame off restoration since I don't have a shop tall enough to work inside. I have all of the tools and know how to do the frame repairs if necessary.

I did the step and I'm working on the tongue area so it isn't such an eye sore for the neighbors although everyone is very supportive. I only have an acre and a half and no privacy fence!

Thanks for the post and from what I can tell, I'm going to be counting on folks like you for advice and encouragement when I get down from finding some bad news like bad 40+ year old rotten plywood.

Regards,
Barry
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am saving the front half for this winter. I plan on doing a rally early October then go out one last time in mid October. Right after that, the front half gets gutted down to the frame and rebuilt from there up. I did this last winter on the back half. I did it all out doors, in my drive way. My lot is a half acre. I suspect your winters may be a little harsher than ours though. If there is any questions you have I probably have encountered it now. You picked a great year and model. I think you will be very happy with the layout. It is very functional for my family of four.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Can the floors be replaced without doing a frame off? While they are out, I would plan on sandblasting and POR 15'ing the frame.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes "frame off" mean doing it from the frame, from the very foundation. You are confused by "shell off" and "shell on" both are frame off restorations. but one requires lifting the shell and rolling it out. The other means releasing the shell in stages while you do all the work. I did a shell on. Check out my blog, it might give some insight as to how I did it. I am not banging my drum or claiming to be an expert here. Any of the tasks you are about to tackle require you developing what works for you. If you can, removing the shell(Shell off) is the best way to do it. It allows you to treat the entire frame and floor as one. The way I did it requires more effort, but can be done in a much smaller space, even in stages. There are many threads here that you should read, Uwe's 63 overlander, Norcal bambi, pizzachop.... they were some that stuck out in my head. Shari has great info out there about their restoration of 2 trailers. I prefer the blogs and you will find some of the best linked up on mine. Spend the next 2 months camping and don't look too hard. Enjoy her, get to know her and read up about what you have gotten yourself into. can you post a photo of your name plate for me? And think about starting a blog, some off us really get into reading them.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Floor Question

Hey Frank,
I have read your blog through January of this year. It is very interesting reading and I can see why you think I should start one. I'm sure I will enjoy reading the rest of your blog and also learn a lot along the way.

Cheers!

Tags
1962, 1962 overlander