Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
My '64 Overlander Adventure

Took our maiden voyage this weekend. Photo below: My namesake on the left and the AS on the right!

Check out this thread for a couple pictures of our trip.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/may-photo-contest-22430-3.html#post234196

I've been working nonstop it seems trying to get her in camping shape since we hauled her home about 7 weeks ago. I actually started my vacation last Thursday in order to "finish" in time for this weekends annual trip to Priest Lake with a group of friends. "Finish" didn't make it. BUT...... we are in the great northwest, and we went camping anyways, a shorter trip from home.

I've posted on a few threads, mostly questions but have contributed a few answers also. Thought I better start my own thread to document our adventures with and in our Overlander.

I've got to say that UWE and JCFERGUSON's threads have been very inspiring. They both have done remarkable jobs on completely rebuilding their airstreams. I won't be doing such an extensive renovation, but they have definitely provided some inspiration, and answers to my questions. This forum is great - I've been reading and researching for some time prior to our find.

Anyways here's what I've done in the short time I've had her:
  • Replaced split rims
  • New tires, bearings packed
  • Ripped out the old rotten carpet, exposing the asbestos tiles
  • Scraped up all the old asbestos tiles
  • Replaced floor rot under jalousie window extending to the door 2'x5'
  • Rebuilt rotten bottom portion of gaucho above floor rot
  • Pulled out the old Dometic RM25? "Icebox" (all parts removed, so it no longer qualified as a refrigerator!)
  • Removed the pile of rust that used to be a furnace
    • Temporarily pop-riveted in a .032 aluminum panel to cover the hole to the outside. (I used the existing pop-rivet holes from the furnace shroud) I'm thinking of fabricating an acess door....or I'm open to other ideas and suggestions, how-to's?
  • Removed the chest of drawers and wardrobe
  • Removed rotten canvas? folding doors - saved hardware to rebuild/recreate later
  • Removed add-on AM radio set-up some P.O. had added under the hanging cabinet
  • Sanded and re-stained all the original oak woodwork
  • Replaced the cabinet front by the entry with new 1/4" oak
  • Replaced the fridge bulkhead wall/end panel with new 1/4" oak
  • Rebuilt the kitchen bulkhead wall separating the bedroom area form the kitchen
  • Built new bulkhead wall to cover backside of shower
  • Covered existing wheel well plastic enclosure with new plywood
  • Built new twin bed where wardrobe and chest of drawers were located
  • Cut new plywood top support for the gaucho using cardboard templates and trial & error
  • Ordered new foam for gaucho - still have to sew the new cushion covers
  • Removed & replaced the shelving in all cupboards that had rot and were covered with nasty foam backed carpet
  • Removed all the frozen & split copper piping - including the bronze check valves! That's one hard freeze!
  • Replaced all plumbing with PEX. Works great, but I think if I did it over I would use copper as all the junctions would fit better in the trunk and take up less space. BUT... no leaks in the PEX, very simple to use and the JACO fittings were great.
  • Did not replace the original pump - MISTAKE! It leaks
  • Installed new maple "pergo" flooring from http://lumberliquidators.com There's an actual store 1-1/2 hours south of us. It's a great contrast to the oak woodwork throughout
  • Removed the rusted stove/oven combo and replaced with a new Atwood 3 burner cook top
  • Rebuilt the rotten countertop, installed new Formica in a granite pattern
  • Replaced the chipped 2 bowl porcelain/steel sink with a single bowl stainless steel model. I've saved the original in hopes of getting it refinished in black
  • Installed a "new" Hadco 600 refrigerator. Cut a new front panel out of the countertop Formica to match - Fridge doesn't work. Sellers claim it did. It heats up under 110V AC and under LP - but no cooling at all! Any ideas? There is no smell of ammonia, or yellowing on the coils.
  • Made final connection from copper supply line to the fridge with flexible coiled pipe - I'm now reading in the threads that this was a mistake and I need to replace?
  • Scrubbed (wife actually) all the interior walls with the "purple power" from Wal-Mart - it worked great (although it did take off some of the paints texture. The dirt just ran off the walls
  • Removed all the knobs. Polished the aluminum headed ones. Need to re-chrome the other twist-n-lock heads or replace - I haven't seen any like it here on the forums, but they are OEM.
  • Got the tanks re-valved and recertified.
  • Rebuilt the 2 headed reading lights. See this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...der-22066.html
  • Sandblasted the overhead lights. Repainted and rebuilt with new pigtails and switches - Need new covers
  • Sandblasted and repainted the stove hood. Still need to find a replacement squirrel cage for the fan.
  • Replaced all outlets and covers
  • Re-installed the Mansfield Traveler 910 toilet duplicating the P.O.'s misguided attempt at installing a toilet that was to short. MEMO TO SELF - This must be fixed correctly!
  • Installed new Everstart Marine battery 850 Amps
  • Clamped new sewer hose to the THETFORD drain fitting. How do I drain the tank? Just gravity? The P.O. left quite a few little doggies behind - the good news in that is it shows that the tank doesn't leak!
I'm sure there's more, just can't think of it right now. I'll be posting my to-do list soon, both immediate needs and future goals. The wife says running water and curtains are immediate or we won't be going to the Silver Falls Rally http://www.airforums.com/forum...4-a-19792.html

Hope to meet some of you there
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Whoops - picture didn't load, try that again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreatPumpkin.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	21302  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Auburn , California
Nice to start seeing the fruits of your labor pay off! I too am working on many of the same things on your list. I am pushing to get mine ready for a week long trip in mid june. I think the best way to get to know my new trailer will be to spend a little time in it. Glad to see others doing the same!
CaravelBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello GreatPumkin ,

Wow ,lots of hard work and worth it ! Your out in your airstream using it and thats what its all about!Im ready to go on a weekender here soon myself.

Happy trails and camping,

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
WOW! You and your Mrs. deserve a vacation! You have inspired me to post the progress on our '66 Tradewind. Bought it home from Oregon 3 weeks ago and I had to deal with split copper too among other items. Now I am preparing my tow car, a '71 Buick convertible. I have to be carefull as since December I have had both my hips replaced. It has been 6 weeks since the last surgery and I can't (not supposed to) drive for 8. Anyway enjoy that vacation but I suspect you will have some tools handy to continue your upgrades. Sure you are.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Fridge help!

I bought and installed a used Hadco 600 fridge (manufactured in ’88) that fit almost exactly in the original Dometic's spot. It allegedly worked. Real world testing proves it does not. It heats up under 110V , and Propane, but does not cool – at all. There is no smell of ammonia, no yellow on the coils…… any ideas? What can I check, adjust, fix?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Partial list of upcoming (soon) repairs and or projects:
  • Sew the new cushion covers - need source for long zippers.
  • Finish sewing the curtains
  • Replace the roll pins and re-install the rest of the cabinet latches.
  • Put another coat (or 2) on all the woodwork. It just soaks it up!
  • Replace wall to floor trim - need source.
  • Seal the vent stacks and other areas - need best source for Vulkem.
  • Rebuild the refrigerator vent - gotta find that thread again where someone else rebuil their existing one.
  • Media blast the tanks and repaint
  • Media Blast the bumpers and exposed framework. Repaint. What's the best source for POR 15?
  • Remove the silicone caulking from P.O. past "fixes"
Lots more to come, but these are the immediate fixes that I need to accomplish prior to the Silver Falls rally in Oregon.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Greatpumpkin looks like you have been very very busy. Just think not long you will have everything done.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Greatpumpkin looks like you have been very very busy. Just think not long you will have everything done.
Are we truly ever done???

That's the short list, there's even more on the long list - so much I haven't even made that list yet
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
How true!!!

I've already started thinking about pergo floors although the po had just installed carpet (white) but before we do that we have to have some plumbing done. Before we do that we have this to do and then that and the list get's longer and longer. Your right it never is done. But that's what we all like about our trailers.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Vintage Trailer Supply carries Vulkem, now called Pro Tem. I just got a tube from them.

And yes, I know that your valve may be different than mine, but gravity is the source of removal.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Vintage Trailer Supply carries Vulkem, now called Pro Tem. I just got a tube from them.

And yes, I know that your valve may be different than mine, but gravity is the source of removal.
Is there a Thetford power flush type device available - I bought one from Wally-World, but of course it will not fit.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I've already started thinking about pergo floors although the po had just installed carpet (white) but before we do that we have to have some plumbing done. Before we do that we have this to do and then that and the list get's longer and longer. Your right it never is done. But that's what we all like about our trailers.
Are you going to replumb with PEX? I've got a multitude of JACO brand "T's" , "couplers" and "MPT adapters" (Available cheap!) They worked great for me, not a single leak!
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
I bought and installed a used Hadco 600 fridge (manufactured in ’88) that fit almost exactly in the original Dometic's spot. It allegedly worked. Real world testing proves it does not. It heats up under 110V , and Propane, but does not cool – at all. There is no smell of ammonia, no yellow on the coils…… any ideas? What can I check, adjust, fix?
First, how long are you letting it work before checking? It should be left on overnight to see if it gets cool.
Second (you are going to love this one), some folks have found that their fridges have sat unused for too long, and the ammonia has separated from the other compounds in the cooling unit. The fix seems to be removing the fridge and gently setting it upside down for a few hours, then righting it and trying it again.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
First, how long are you letting it work before checking? It should be left on overnight to see if it gets cool.
Second (you are going to love this one), some folks have found that their fridges have sat unused for too long, and the ammonia has separated from the other compounds in the cooling unit. The fix seems to be removing the fridge and gently setting it upside down for a few hours, then righting it and trying it again.
Thanks,

ELECTRIC: I left running for a couple days - Nothing.

GAS: Left running overnight 12-16 hours - Nothing.

My next level of attack will be the "burping" trick of removing it, turning it upside down, and then try again. I'm also going to check the chimney and make sure that is clear.

Fortunately the seller refunded my purchase price - worst case scenario, I'm only out the shipping and have an icebox instead of a fridge.

Hopefully your suggestion will work.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
A "shocking" discovery..

I thought I knew enough about electrical to deal with anything the AS could throw at me, but now I am absolutely perplexed.

There was a cable with a 3 prong male plug at my TT tongue. It was old and broken. I did not anticiapte needing it for anything, so I was planning on cutting it off and removing the wire (it runs under the belly skin to the rear). There were three wires attached - one ground to the frame, and two other wires. One was red and the other appeared to be white. Upon closer inspection I determined they were both red, one had just had sun fade so bad it was now white. Following me so far? Three wires, each attached to a prong on the plug. Now the confusing part. The two red wires (copper) were actually a splice into the original cable. It's a single ALUMINUM cable! I'm guessing about a #6 stranded? I traced the wire back and became even more confused. It (single cable) goes to the back where it enters the trunk. The cable at this end has a copper lug on it where it hooked to the battery via an add-on fuse block!

There was no battery when I bought the AS, I've since put one in, but obviously I did NOT hook up this contraption. I was a little confused as to why I had three wires that appeared to hook to the battery when I first looked back there. Now I know what the three wires are/were, but I'm still confused.

What in the world was this hookup? and what in the world would it do other than create a little 4th of July situation in the AS?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It was probably something the PO concocted for a second battery, to extend their boondocking capacity. They may have had a very large battery in the back of the tow vehicle, and plugged into it for extended stays without 120 volts.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
But it had a 115v male plug end? It's the aluminum wire that still stumps me - leads me to believe the wire was original? and the rest was some P.O. concoction? The clamps are all riveted and look original - but I gues if it was really original it would have been in the belly pan?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
... It's the aluminum wire that still stumps me - leads me to believe the wire was original? and the rest was some P.O. concoction? The clamps are all riveted and look original - but I guess if it was really original it would have been in the belly pan?
GP:

Airstream did not use aluminum wiring until a few years later, beginning around 1966 or thereabouts. A 1964 Airstream should not have had aluminum wiring from the factory. This sounds like a wholly PO modification, and who knows what kind of mix n' mismatch elctrical wiring and connectors the PO may have used.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
47WW:

Thanks, I'm going to completely remove it. The only other wiring modifications that I've found so far is UF (underground feed) Romex also attached underneath the trailer, running to the refrigerator area. It then enters the trailer and runs up the fridge vent inside, exits at the fridge vent and goes over to the Duo Therm A/C. The A/C doesn't work, but I'm not planning on tackling that project until much later. I don't anticipate using it anyways - it would be nice if I could get it working, but if not not a big loss.
2001 Honda XR650R