Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #141
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I thought I would gain a few inches in height with the new axles, but I didn't. I had to double check the weight rating stamped into the axles to make sure. 2800#'s as ordered, and as the originals were. I've slightly reduced my weight load, shouldn't I see more tire than this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0826.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	45162  
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think you're fine with the height - it's the actual down angle that is what you need to look at. From your "before" pic, the old axles looked like they were frozen in a down position... You should now have travel that you didn't have before. : >
Nice job! Them's some fancy NASCAR rims you have there! I like!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #143
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I think you're fine with the height - it's the actual down angle that is what you need to look at. From your "before" pic, the old axles looked like they were frozen in a down position... You should now have travel that you didn't have before. : >
Nice job! Them's some fancy NASCAR rims you have there! I like!
Marc
NASCAR / LES SCHWAB - same thing right? Just don't look to closely at the lug nuts or you'll see 10 new ones and 2 old ones.

How's the argosy coming along - got a blinding polish yet?
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
heh heh... well, PART of it is shiny... does that count? Just don't look at the front or rear roof of it.........

I just have to stop using it to actually DO something to it - I also wish it was in my backyard, but alas, tis not. I'm loving the Overlander - looking and riding well!
Take care, see you all soon!
Marc
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Great Pic's Great Punkin
What did we ever do wif out WD 40 and air powered cut-off wheels. I do however have YE OLE FIRE WRENCH if needed I will be doing alxes in the spring. Your info gives me encourgement I do think I will have a problem
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #146
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Wow - I have definitely been remiss in updating my thread .

Well here's some pictures of my newsed fridge. If you are counting, this is the 4th fridge in my saga - I think Terry (Overlander63) and I were trying to see who could replace theirs the most times

I am happy to report this one actually works - and quite well at that. I picked up a used Dometic RM 2801 gas and electric. I found it semi local on Craig's list and picked it up this winter. It was a price I couldn't pass up.
When we got the AS out of storage, I had to work feverishly to get it in place before our first outing of the year. The fridge turned out to be a little wider (and obviously taller) than the original or the previous replacement attempts, so I ended up having to scrap the existing cabinets.
In order to center it fairly well around the original chimney I had to lose 3 inches from the kitchen drawer areas. (Those drawers and others are available). I'm pretty happy with the results. I was able to re-use the existing doors from the original cabinets, just had to trim 3 inches and then match the stain.
My wife was happy with the drawers, and thought they were too nice to cover up, but the door is what keeps them in place while in transit.
I used 5/4 stock for the face frames and drawer fronts. The hidden framework is out of lightweight white wood.
The fridge's raised oak panels were cracked, and didn't match the rest of the cabinet style, so I replaced them using the same formica as the countertops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0985.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	62971   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0986.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	62972  

Name:	100_0987.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	62973   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0988.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	62974  

2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Drawer detail

Heavy duty drawer glides on the sides.

For the drawer fronts I cut them taller than needed, then drilled a 1" hole with a Forstner bit through the front. I then cut the boards to actual height which cut directly though the middle of the drilled hole. Then because of the thickness of the drawer front, I routed out the back side of the hole and additional 1/2" width and about 1/2" depth. The result is a nice finger pull open drawer front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0990.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	62975   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0989.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	62976  

2001 Honda XR650R

Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Nice work and some clever solutions. It fits in beautifully with the existing cabinetry.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #149
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
The best laid plans...

Well I kept the Airstream home this winter instead of putting it in storage. The plan was to replace the hot water tank with the bargain unit I picked up at an estate auction this past summer.

As usual, I decided it was just to cold to be out there working this winter. Unusually though, was the high number of days in the negative temps this year.

Needless to say, the water heater hasn't been installed. But... due to the Airstream sitting out in the weather under a couple feet of snow I lost the refrigerator vent, the Astrodome, and the Solardome.

They were on their last legs anyway, so no big loss, just forced me to have to replace them on a timetable not of my choosing.

Ordered a "Camco" (Part # 40159) 14" x14" from Amazon for $10.59? Installed it yesterday and it fits/works perfectly! Saved close to $60 there!

Ordered the Refrigerator vent and Astrodome from Inland Rv. Their perpetual "sale" prices beat VTS.

I was hoping to install the Astrodome without drilling through the outside shell (IIRC Markdoane or UWE did that on their install). Unfortunately the thermal barrier is too close to the outer shell to give the rivet enough room to grip. I very briefly toyed with the idea of installing it exactly like the original, with 1/4" screws, but picturing my high priced piece of plastic blow off running down the highway quickly vetoed that idea.

In the end I followed the directions and drilled all the way through. Utilized the provided rivets and backers to install it. Instead of using Vulkem to seal the rivets/holes, I used a clear epoxy. I put some in the hole before inserting the rivets, underneath the backers, and finally completely covered the backers and rivet ends with the epoxy.

Overall I don't think the quality of the Astrodome matches the price paid. The thermal barrier is just a flat piece "glued" into the top of the outer shell. The "glue" (looks like some kind of hot melt process?, lots of air bubbles) doesn't completely seal all the way around. On my original, the outer shell had broken and water had gotten into it, but it did not leak through the inner thermal barrier. This one would leak if the outer shell were to develop a crack or break.

The aluminum refrigerator vent replaced the tattered remains of the original thin green plastic one. The new one is slightly longer so I plugged the original holes with Olympic rivets liberally covered with Vulkem. Centered the new vent cover over the vent, drilled new holes and also liberally applied Vulkem before riveting in place with Olympic rivets.

Here's some pics of the new vents installed. Sorry for the quality, my wife had the camera so these were taken with my cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0519091658.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	80547   Click image for larger version

Name:	0519091658a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	80548  

Name:	0519091659.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	80549  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
The end of an adventure...

Well, 3+ years and over 1,000 posts and it's time to bring to an end My '64 Overlander Adventure. It has been a journey. We've had some good times, and met many new friends here online and at rallies. I'll continue to lurk here and probably even post once in awhile, but will have to change my status to currently looking...

Tonight we sold the Overlander to forums member Kidless.

We are looking for an Avion truck camper (at least it's still aluminum!) to allow us still to camp while pulling either the boat or the motorcycle trailer.

~ A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfying, but a life in which adventure is allowed to take whatever form it will is sure to be short. ~
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Toys, Toys, Toys it all makes choices so complex. We ended up buying a small 14' sailboat and trying to figure how I can get it on top of the 68 Ford.
Good luck in your surch Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post
We are looking for an Avion truck camper (at least it's still aluminum!) to allow us still to camp while pulling either the boat or the motorcycle trailer.
There was a nice one on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. It was in Indiana and sold for around $2700. I was looking at it because it was a C-11, and ours is a C-10. The C-11 has a larger bed and there doesn't seem to be as many around. Back in January there was a C-11 near Cleveland, OH for around $3000 on Craigslist. These campers seem to be all over the place on price. I've seen them advertised for less than $1000 (but never near me) and for more than $6000.

Ours was damaged by a tree last December before we even had a chance to use it. It was pretty much perfect on the exterior until then. Right now I've got it covered up to protect it from the weather - another job for after I've finished the Sovereign.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Well . . . Tonight we sold the Overlander. . . We are looking for an Avion truck camper (at least it's still aluminum!) to allow us still to camp while pulling either the boat or the motorcycle trailer.
Dear Great Orange Orb:

I'll miss your adventures and helpful posts as a fellow '64 owner on the Forum.

Here's a thought. Will you have enough vertical clearance underneath the rear overhang drop-down section of an Avion truck camper to install a 2' or 3' receiver extension to tow a trailer? I've never really looked into it, but it often seemed to me the receiver hitch on a pickup truck is typically mounted higher off the ground than the bottom of the Avion camper's rear overhang, leading to incompatible interference (it looks like any receiver extension would have to go through the drop-down overhang part of the Avion camper).

I towed for years with a 1968 Dodge W300 that had a 9' utility body and a 10' Alaskan camper in it. But the floor of the Alaskan was level with the floor of the utility box; there was no drop-down rear end of the camper to interfere with my 14" receiver extension, so I could easily tow a trailer. But the Avion campers I've (only) seen photos of have a rear section that overhangs the truck bed by 2' or 3' and drops down quite a bit, perhaps lower than the receiver hitch on a typical truck?

Anyway, its just a thought about something to check out before a purchase. Have fun with your "new" camper.

Best regards,
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well, I'm honestly sorry to lose you as an Overlander brother, but I wish you well in your new endeavors.

I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to you for all of your help with advice, free parts, and inexpensive parts. You've been a tremendous help and I appreciate it. I just finished plumbing my trailer last week, and the fittings you sent me worked great, no problems at all (at least, none that were not associated with operator error! ).

Please don't be a stranger around here, I'd love to see you start a restoration thread for your Avion truck camper once you get it. As you noted, it's still aluminum, and thus worthy of respect and admiration.

Best,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Here's a thought. Will you have enough vertical clearance underneath the rear overhang drop-down section of an Avion truck camper to install a 2' or 3' receiver extension to tow a trailer?
GreatPumpkin,

I think you'll be fine for height. The rear section of the Avion is about 6" by 26". The top of the receiver on my F-350 is about 16" below the floor of the box.

Good luck with your search!

Grant
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avion-Overhang.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	85279  

Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Toys, Toys, Toys it all makes choices so complex. We ended up buying a small 14' sailboat and trying to figure how I can get it on top of the 68 Ford.
Good luck in your surch Don
Thanks Don. I've seen your ingenuity, I'm sure you figure out a way to get it up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
...These campers seem to be all over the place on price. I've seen them advertised for less than $1000 (but never near me) and for more than $6000.
That seems to always be the way it is. There was one on a Craigslist somewhere back east about a month ago for a giveaway price, but I wasn't really contemplating getting rid of the airstream then. Foresight would have come in handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Dear Great Orange Orb:

I'll miss your adventures and helpful posts as a fellow '64 owner on the Forum.

Here's a thought. Will you have enough vertical clearance underneath the rear overhang drop-down section of an Avion truck camper to install a 2' or 3' receiver extension to tow a trailer? ...

Anyway, its just a thought about something to check out before a purchase. Have fun with your "new" camper.

Best regards,
Fred - Nothing like dashing a guys dreams by throwing a dose of reality at him! (Just kidding!) Thanks for the info, as I hadn't even thought about that. I have noticed they seem to hang low so I will definitely look into that before purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Well, I'm honestly sorry to lose you as an Overlander brother, but I wish you well in your new endeavors.

I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to you for all of your help with advice, free parts, and inexpensive parts. You've been a tremendous help and I appreciate it. I just finished plumbing my trailer last week, and the fittings you sent me worked great, no problems at all (at least, none that were not associated with operator error! ).

Please don't be a stranger around here, I'd love to see you start a restoration thread for your Avion truck camper once you get it. As you noted, it's still aluminum, and thus worthy of respect and admiration.

Best,
-Marcus
Glad to be able to help Marcus. I'm following along in your resto. I can still live vicariously thru others restoration threads.

Too bad they can't be polished
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
GreatPumpkin,

I think you'll be fine for height. The rear section of the Avion is about 6" by 26". The top of the receiver on my F-350 is about 16" below the floor of the box.

Good luck with your search!

Grant
Grant - Thanks for the picture and info. Very helpful. The top of my receiver is about 13" below the floor of the box on my Dodge 1/2 Ton. So it looks like it should be good.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Grant - Thanks for the picture and info. Very helpful. The top of my receiver is about 13" below the floor of the box on my Dodge 1/2 Ton. So it looks like it should be good.
Will your Dodge be up to carrying the weight of the camper? I think the 1965 C-10 weighs around 1800 pounds dry and the C-11 is around a ton.

Grant

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Will your Dodge be up to carrying the weight of the camper? I think the 1965 C-10 weighs around 1800 pounds dry and the C-11 is around a ton.

Grant
Another dose of reality. Nope. They weren't built like a lightweight Airstream I guess!
On top of the weight limitations, mines a shortbed also. Add the weight of 5 people, gear, etc...

Ratings on my Quad Cab 4x4:

Payload 1480
GVWR 6600
Front GAWR 3850
Rear GAWR 3900
Max Trailer Weight 7150
Max GCWR 12500
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 08-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
What! GP, say it's not so! Another solution to having something silver and your boat... how about an AS MH? Or Argosy?
Marc