Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
For insurance purposes, does anyone have a ballpark on what I should insure it for? (I realize this is not what I could/would sell it for - I just want to put a policy on it in case a tree falls or it's destroyed when we travel with it)

Also, any recommendations on who to insure it? I have state farm now, and since I've been with them forever, my policies are pretty reasonable.
Aloha.

One of your photo's appears to show that a check of the axles might be in order, since the top of the tires are hidden.

The following willl help you in checking them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Mahalo,

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
The only change I'd make is to add an air conditioner or heat pump. I suspect there is 120 volt AC routed to the center vent already for optional air conditioning.

When my AC unit died I replaced it with a heat pump unit so in cooler weather I don't burn up expensive propane by using the furnace.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robwok

Sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice here so far.

Your solution to the AC problem is unusual, but I think it is reasonable and I would try it. If this does not work you can always put an AC unit on the roof. My 66 TW has an Armstrong unit that I believe came from the factory. I don't know if AC was an option in 64 or not.

Good luck dealing with the fever. They are easy to buy, but then the hard work starts and that is not so easy. I agree. Finish what you have first. Having said that, if it looks like it may be the right trailer for you, I would have a hard time not buying it (cuz I got the fever too).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Limit on ten pics, so I decided to add a couple more on my own post.
Your Airstream, is your "home" away from home.

Accordingly, what you can or should not do, is a matter of taste, and what you may enjoy.

Certainly, replacing worn out or inoperable appliances are just a few of the things that can and should be done.

As an example, the original furnace, made by "International Oil Burner", even though it used LPG, has a bad habit of exploding, because of it's horrible design, and the burner log falling apart along with the main gas valve not completely shutting off. If you still have it, DON'T even try to fire it up.

The water heater, if original, would be 47 years old. They normally fail after about 25 years or so.

You "Univolt" system, was simply a transformer that supplied 12 and 19 volts AC for the trailer when plugged into city power. The 12 volts AC are for the lights and the 19 volts AC are for the fans, which are DC types, but function very well with the 19 volts. However, the orignal univolt, cannot charge the battery. There are different types of charging systems available, and are easily installed in a couple of hours. CAUTION. A "battery charger" should never be used as a permanent charger, in that they do not have a brain and will overcharge the battery in a day or two, causing the battery to overheat and fail.

You can use the current type Univolt that Airstream has used for several years, if you wish to keep the trailer, true "Airstream".

Upgrading the exterior lights to "Leds" still keeps the trailer, if you wish, "original or with current Airstream systems". All of those changes would increase the trailer value.

Adding an AC to the roof, using a top brand, will also add value to the trailer. The wiring is already in the roof for it, but a drain line would have to be added, which is easy to do.

Changing all the original exterior gaskets, to new types, will help keep the trailer "waterproof" and certainly enhance it"s value, provided of course proper gaskets are used as well as being correctly installed. Most owners install those gaskets themselves as it's easy to do, with a little instructions.

Adding good upgrades, properly, will always add value to the trailer as well as making it more saleable to a true Airstream lover.

Andy
Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Actually, I was looking at just getting one of those small portable AC's. I can just plug it in, and make a small plate for one of the windows. That way I don't have to worry about roof penetration, and if it goes bad, it's just another $100 off Craigslist.
Something to think about.

Should you make that plate, and install a small AC, what will you do with the window?

Next an adequate, small AC for your 26 foot Airstream, should be 10,000 or better yet a 12,000 BTU AC, or even more if your going to be in hot weather.

Next, how will you move the air, from the back to the front, or from the front to the back of the trailer? That's in part why the AC's are installed near the center,

If you install the AC in the side of the trailer, you will be over width.

If you want to install it in the rear, how will you support it? If you add vertical supports from the frame, you will then create, in short order, "rear end separation", which becomes an expensive issue to correct.

Then, if the AC is in the rear window, the axles better be in pristene condition AND the running gear "MUST BE" properly balanced "always".

But, if the AC is installed in the rear window, you could remove it each time you wanted to move the trailer, and set it on the floor up front.

Then, finally, if you want to keep the Airstream "original" then why a window AC? That certainly will lower the trailers value.

Andy
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Yes, it is wired with AC. I do like the heat pump option, and that is definitely the way I would eventually go, but to save a little cash, I can get a portable ac for about $75-100. Also, a small space heater plugged into the outlet will heat the whole camper. We've tent camped at a good sam place not too far from here, and like that setup.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #27
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Yes indeed!!! You have got the ALUMINUM FEVER!!!
ENJOY,ENJOY,ENJOY!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Didn't know about the explosions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your Airstream, is your "home" away from home.

Accordingly, what you can or should not do, is a matter of taste, and what you may enjoy.

Certainly, replacing worn out or inoperable appliances are just a few of the things that can and should be done.

As an example, the original furnace, made by "International Oil Burner", even though it used LPG, has a bad habit of exploding, because of it's horrible design, and the burner log falling apart along with the main gas valve not completely shutting off. If you still have it, DON'T even try to fire it up.

The water heater, if original, would be 47 years old. They normally fail after about 25 years or so.

You "Univolt" system, was simply a transformer that supplied 12 and 19 volts AC for the trailer when plugged into city power. The 12 volts AC are for the lights and the 19 volts AC are for the fans, which are DC types, but function very well with the 19 volts. However, the orignal univolt, cannot charge the battery. There are different types of charging systems available, and are easily installed in a couple of hours. CAUTION. A "battery charger" should never be used as a permanent charger, in that they do not have a brain and will overcharge the battery in a day or two, causing the battery to overheat and fail.

You can use the current type Univolt that Airstream has used for several years, if you wish to keep the trailer, true "Airstream".

Upgrading the exterior lights to "Leds" still keeps the trailer, if you wish, "original or with current Airstream systems". All of those changes would increase the trailer value.

Adding an AC to the roof, using a top brand, will also add value to the trailer. The wiring is already in the roof for it, but a drain line would have to be added, which is easy to do.

Changing all the original exterior gaskets, to new types, will help keep the trailer "waterproof" and certainly enhance it"s value, provided of course proper gaskets are used as well as being correctly installed. Most owners install those gaskets themselves as it's easy to do, with a little instructions.

Adding good upgrades, properly, will always add value to the trailer as well as making it more saleable to a true Airstream lover.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I am very capable of performing most of the work, provided I take some time to read through the processes. Was not aware of the furnace, but had planned to spend some time reading through everything. I may have actually tried turning it on! I planned on at least trying to turn on the fridge after I read everything on how it works. I'm sure the furnace is in as perfect condition as everything else. Any reason I should consider salvaging it?

Also, any recommendations on size and merchant for the aluminum tanks?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
The only real cure is a maniacal focus on your first trailer....keep the eye on the prize. After completing the restoration on your first trailer you will be much less tempted to exercise this folly again, and hopefully also camping and actually using the Overlander for it's intended purpose.
LOL. Oh, I wish this was true...

I agree with a lot of the other sentiments. Keep the Zolatone. If you want, update the floors and counters with period-correct laminates like "boomerang" or other mid-century patterns. You need axles - you can barely see the top of the hubcaps - and tires. A modern Intellipower converter makes a world of difference and no buyer will fault you for chucking out the Univolt. Like Inland Andy said, spend some time making the trailer watertight - it leaks somewhere. Personally, I'd put in a gray water tank from Vintage Trailer Supply at some point - invisible and nice to have when camping.

These trailers are meant for using, not parking in museums. I'm very jealous of it. If I could only find a similar-condition 68 Safari twin someday...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy. I am very capable of performing most of the work, provided I take some time to read through the processes. Was not aware of the furnace, but had planned to spend some time reading through everything. I may have actually tried turning it on! I planned on at least trying to turn on the fridge after I read everything on how it works. I'm sure the furnace is in as perfect condition as everything else. Any reason I should consider salvaging it?

Also, any recommendations on size and merchant for the aluminum tanks?
I cannot over state DO NOT attempt to fire up the furnace, if it's the original. The burner log, internally falls apart, even with zero use. Then no one has parts because of the liability.

Purchase the aluminum tanks locally, to save on shipping costs. Most owners opt for the 40 pound tanks.

The original reefer, a Dometic RM-52 is a good unit. The pilot light orifice and main burner orifice however should be taken apart and cleaned every couple of years. Soaking then in "limeaway" for a couple of days, does the trick. Or if you have access to an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, then that only takes a few minutes. Same applies to the water heater orifices.

You should also check the LPG pressure, It should be between 11 and 13 water column inches, for best results, or at 12.5 inches if you like mountain type camping.

Andy
Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
It's a cutie!!!!
It's yours - enjoy it!!

bugnot1
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Nice trailer. I had to do a double take when I saw your WBCCI number of 2616. My trailer originally had WBCCI number 2617.
Norm
Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
LOL. Oh, I wish this was true...

I agree with a lot of the other sentiments. Keep the Zolatone. If you want, update the floors and counters with period-correct laminates like "boomerang" or other mid-century patterns. You need axles - you can barely see the top of the hubcaps - and tires. A modern Intellipower converter makes a world of difference and no buyer will fault you for chucking out the Univolt. Like Inland Andy said, spend some time making the trailer watertight - it leaks somewhere. Personally, I'd put in a gray water tank from Vintage Trailer Supply at some point - invisible and nice to have when camping.

These trailers are meant for using, not parking in museums. I'm very jealous of it. If I could only find a similar-condition 68 Safari twin someday...

Tom
Funny you mention the boomerang. That's the exact pattern we were considering, with a color match to the fridge and stove. We definitely plan on using it, we just want to make sure that we do the right things to it. Respect the AS.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
wbcci numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Nice trailer. I had to do a double take when I saw your WBCCI number of 2616. My trailer originally had WBCCI number 2617.
Norm
I'm still trying to understand the numbers. Here in VA, if you have just numbers on your plate, anything under 2000 has to be assigned by the govenor personally. People keep waiting for someone to die so they can get the next plate with a lower number. 2616 seems to be a pretty low number, but I don't know. Do you get new sticker, or paint the old ones with red paint? What are the rules on the numbers?

I plan on taking the antenna off just so it doesn't grab anything or fall off - or is it cool to have it on when you pull into an airstream only rally?

I have a 10 year old son. I plan on having him watch the original Karate kid movie, then give him a pile of old diapers and the polish and say "wax off grasshopper".
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More advice to keep it original . . .

Quote:
I just bought my first airstream. I won't tell you how much I paid for it, but lets just say I was very blessed.

As you can see in the pictures, it's in immaculate condition . . . it's pristine. So, here's the question. What can I do that won't affect the value (as if my wife would ever let me sell it now)

My wife wants to replace the counter tops. By the way, the table matches them exactly, so that must be original.

Any suggestions on what I can add or remove that will increase or dramatically decrease the value would be appreciated. I don't want to do anything foolish.

My wife says I can buy a junk one and mess with that one, but she wants to keep this a period piece with period colors and textiles.
Hi Robwok:

You have asked the community for some advice, so here is mine.

1. DO NOT PAINT THE ZOLOTONE! Doing so will dramatically decrease the value of your immaculate and pristine trailer. The only thing worse I can think of is to paint all the interior wood as well. After all, who wants the unsightly graininess and natural patterns of wood when a smooth monotonous single color can be had? Doing either, and especially both, would be foolish and will greatly reduce the value of your Overlander.

2. You wife says she wants to keep the trailer in period colors. Good, then leave the original neutral grey Zolotone and grey countertops in the trailer and re-color the interior by changing the textiles, which are replaceable rather than irreplaceable. Changing the cushions, curtains, pillows and bedspreads can dramatically change the interior appearance without diminishing the value of a wonderful original trailer. And the interior colors can be changed as many times as you have different colored textiles available. These soft changes will maintain the value of your Overlander.

3. To get the best value from this beautiful Overlander rather than diminish its value, sell it now to someone who will appreciate it as is. Then buy a similar trailer in solid condition that has already had its walls and/or cabinets painted. Believe me, there are plenty of horribly painted Airstreams out there to choose from. Then your painting will "do no harm" and might actually even improve the value and condition of an Airstream.

4. You have found an unusually original and pristine Airstream. Over the years I have seen only a few of them. Occasionally I have winced in horror as people who had little appreciation for what they just acquired quickly slap-dashed paint all over the interior to "brighten it up". Don't do that! Instead, keep its appearance generally original and improve/modernize its systems which are out of sight. Replacing plumbing, heating and electrical components can improve value, especially where the originals have died or are outmoded. But painting over a pristine original interior will, IMHO, dramatically and foolishly diminish the value of your wonderful Overlander, something you stated you wish to avoid.

That's my 2 cents worth of advice, which you openly solicited. Thanks for listening.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Loomis , California
I think that with all the streamers out there you'll have just the thing for somebody when the time comes to sell . . .
Phly36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
What Fred said....AMEN!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Do exactly what the wife wants............toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Robwok:

You have asked the community for some advice, so here is mine.

3. To get the best value from this beautiful Overlander rather than diminish its value, sell it now to someone who will appreciate it as is. Then buy a similar trailer in solid condition that has already had its walls and/or cabinets painted. Believe me, there are plenty of horribly painted Airstreams out there to choose from. Then your painting will "do no harm" and might actually even improve the value and condition of an Airstream.

That's my 2 cents worth of advice, which you openly solicited. Thanks for listening.

Thank you. I left it wide open, and you kind folks are eager to please. Okay, we are not going to paint the zolatone! We may in fact even put in cut up 9" tile in close to the original color style as before. We actually have the original brown curtains that came with the trailer (in the bag on the floor next to the original table). I think we'll have those cleaned and sealed them away for when ugly brown becomes fashionable. We even have the original goucho fabric, and have found a very similar fabric pattern in a new material. Maybe I'll have the original goucho fabric washed and turned into some pillows?

As for the counter tops, that is still open for now, but I will repair the trim on those and if we ever removed them, they would be preserved. All else would remain - the wood will get cleaned, and I may have the original knobs re-chromed professionally though. May even do the same for the steel hubcaps. (really not sure what to do about that tv antenna though)

I really wanted to find out what items were replaceable and what wasn't. You've all been very helpful. For example, I didn't know if the original furnace needed to stay or go. (I got a really good understanding on that one!) We do appreciate antiques and vintage items. We would never just start ripping things out, which is why I came to this forum to know what needed to be respected and what needed to be replaced.

I of course realize that there are some people that see a trailer as "old" and immediately try to update it. That's not our plan. Originally we would have done that if we found a trailer in disrepair, but this is a change in plans. We will probably get another trailer that has been abused and modernize that one, but at this point, we want to respect this one and restore it appropriately.

Please understand that I am a very careful craftsman. If I do repair anything, it will take a microscope to find out. I hope to be able to go out to a rally somewhere and meet you folks and let you take a step back in time with us.

I do have one question - can anyone tell me anything about that lamp? I know it screws to the outside, but it is so light and delicate, I don't want to use it for normal use. Can I get a modern version?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
I'm still trying to understand the numbers. Here in VA, if you have just numbers on your plate, anything under 2000 has to be assigned by the govenor personally. People keep waiting for someone to die so they can get the next plate with a lower number. 2616 seems to be a pretty low number, but I don't know. Do you get new sticker, or paint the old ones with red paint? What are the rules on the numbers?
The numbers are actually an Airstream club thing (not government issued). I didn't join, so I took my numbers off and polished the trailer. The numbers were just stickers that leave a shadow even after a good polish. If you join the WBCCI, and the number has not been reassigned to someone else, you may be able to use the original numbers.

[QUOTE=robwok;948806]
I plan on taking the antenna off just so it doesn't grab anything or fall off - or is it cool to have it on when you pull into an airstream only rally?
[QUOTE/]

That antenna probably has a pretty large hole (about 1" diameter) behind it, so you may want to leave it on just to avoid having to make a repair. It should be on there pretty secure. Mine looks identical to what you have and it had three screws that are backed up with bolts and an extra plate of aluminum on the interior side.

Norm