Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
looking for other 1962 Overlander owners

I just bought a 1962 Overlander to use as a family camper. I looked at every vintage trailer sales avenue for close to a year. I was seriously out bid too many times to be able to count, and that evil "buy it now" button was pushed by someone before I could get the basic questions asked time and time again until last saturday when I pushed the button... the "buy it now" button, at 6am. I took a get chance buying a trailer sight unseen. But low and behold... to my surprise the only thing that does not work is the furnace... The original dometic has made ice cubes(small ones but ice cube none the less) within 24 hours of lighting it up. I entered this purchase thinking that I would be repairing everything through out. Is it possible to find a 1962 Airstream that really only needs a refurbishment and not a total rehabilitation? So if anyone has a 1962 Overlander I would love to compare trailers to find out how some updates and such were made by you. First project: SEAL THE SHELL TOTALLY..
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
1962 Ambassador

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your rig.

We purchased a 1962 Ambassador about a month ago. It is in great original condition, I have some pictures posted in my profile if you would like to see some of the configuration to see if it would help you.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums. Your Overlander looks great. We have a '61 Overlander that we purchased about 1 1/2 years ago. There are pictures of it on this site under the PO's name of 61overlander & the name darkstar (by mistake). I found the information here priceless. Good luck.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
have either of you replaced your furnace? I have a ducted furnace and want to change it out without doing too many modifications. Any advise is apreciated.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
No, I have not replaced my furnace. It does have the original one in it, and International Oil Burner, that does not work. I just replaced the AC with a Carrier Low Profile with heat strips.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
62 Overlander

Hi there,
Our stories are similar. I just brought 62 Overlander International home Saturday and expected nothing to work. I am replacing the weather beaten 110 cord in the next few days and have started cleaning her up. I'm sure after reading your post that I will need to do more work than you. The floors are a bit spongy around the door so I'm sure they will need to be replaced there. The furnace and hot water heater had been replaced and the old Coleman air conditioner still blows cold air but I do need a new shroud for it. The vents both need to be replaced. My brother fabricated the front one out of Lexan and it is beautiful. Most everything works and it is all original with the original Zoletone paint inside and the wood was never painted. Let's stay in touch through out. You can look me up and check out my thread for pics.

Cheers,
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats on your AS. We have had ours for over a year already and have addressed many issues to feel safe in using our trailer. One of the first things we did was to replace the electrical cord and I recommend you do that first. We actually had a short to the skin of the trailer which you can imagine was quite electrifying! Welcome to the forums, you will find a ton of information on here that will be invaluable. As well, greetings from a former Iowan. I am originally from Leon.

Our trailer is similar and if we can help with information, let us know.

Take care,

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62-Lander View Post
Hi there,
Our stories are similar. I just brought 62 Overlander International home Saturday and expected nothing to work. I am replacing the weather beaten 110 cord in the next few days and have started cleaning her up. I'm sure after reading your post that I will need to do more work than you. The floors are a bit spongy around the door so I'm sure they will need to be replaced there. The furnace and hot water heater had been replaced and the old Coleman air conditioner still blows cold air but I do need a new shroud for it. The vents both need to be replaced. My brother fabricated the front one out of Lexan and it is beautiful. Most everything works and it is all original with the original Zoletone paint inside and the wood was never painted. Let's stay in touch through out. You can look me up and check out my thread for pics.

Cheers,
62Lander-- 62Overlander is aka Frank, and you can check out his blog which is in his signature, and linked here:

Anna Lumanum

You can also look at his thread here on the Forums, linked below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ack-37562.html

Between those two, you can see a lot of the things he has done while restoring/renovating his trailer. There's a lot of good information there, especially since it's the same year and model as your own. And he's a nice guy so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you wanted to PM him or e-mail with some additional questions as well.

And obviously, your brother has a great deal of knowledge and will no doubt be a tremendous help to you. Looking forward to following your restoration, good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
1962 26' Overlander
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I just purchased a '62 Overlander which has already been (mostly) restored. I'm really enjoying it and it has been a big hit around here. So far, I have had to have the water heater "re-built", and set off a couple roach bombs to get rid of little hitchhikers. I'm planning to install a new Carrier low profile AC next Spring.

I really bought the thing on impulse and am still a little stunned that I actually did it. Not that I'm regretting it, but I'm told that buying a vintage AS is a lifestyle decision. I also have a 16 ft. Quiksilver Edition Bambi. The two couldn't be more different.

I look forward to reading more from other Overlander adventurers!
WithChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
If I Rest I Rust

1960 26' Overlander
Natchez , Where the Old South Lives
My story is very close to yours. I expected the worse and was greatly surprised. My stance on this is ......good tires,bearings,axles,hitch and running lights......all else can be fixed over time. These ole girls are built well and are like a blank canvas that can be paint to your personal taste and preferences.The sky is the limit and the open road your buffet....... FEAST!
NatchezBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithChild View Post
I just purchased a '62 Overlander which has already been (mostly) restored. I'm really enjoying it and it has been a big hit around here. So far, I have had to have the water heater "re-built", and set off a couple roach bombs to get rid of little hitchhikers. I'm planning to install a new Carrier low profile AC next Spring.

I really bought the thing on impulse and am still a little stunned that I actually did it. Not that I'm regretting it, but I'm told that buying a vintage AS is a lifestyle decision. I also have a 16 ft. Quiksilver Edition Bambi. The two couldn't be more different.

I look forward to reading more from other Overlander adventurers!
Welcome to the 1962 club! Ours is an Ambassador, esentially the same trailer just 2 feet longer. We have done quite a bit to ours, so feel free to let us know if we can help!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #12

1962 26' Overlander
ga , Georgia
62 overlander

I bought my 62 Overlander two years ago and have redone most of the interior. New floor, cabinets, plumbing, water heater, bathroom, paint and acid washed the exterior. It looks great inside. I converted it to total electric. I'll either hookup at a campground or use a generator. The owner before me pulled out all the tanks for water and sewage so I have to hookup or use portable units. I plan to live in it in a couple of months full time. I can't wait.
62 Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Tin Can View Post
I bought my 62 Overlander two years ago and have redone most of the interior. New floor, cabinets, plumbing, water heater, bathroom, paint and acid washed the exterior. It looks great inside. I converted it to total electric. I'll either hookup at a campground or use a generator. The owner before me pulled out all the tanks for water and sewage so I have to hookup or use portable units. I plan to live in it in a couple of months full time. I can't wait.
Welcome to the Forums, sounds like a really nice rig. We'd love to see any pictures you have.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
AnEyeForTexas

1962 26' Overlander
Lockhart , Texas
I bought one a couple of months ago from a couple who said they were living in it. Maybe they were, but absolutely nothing worked. Having essentially bought it all over again in repairs, everything works but the furnace (it may work, but I don't want to breath anything that blows through 42 year old ductwork.

Still, I can't help myself. I love it and live in it full time. It will take a lot of work to cozy it up, but it fits my needs perfectly. I'm working on a book about the Chihuahuan desert and I need to be able to move now and then -- not far, and not often, but it needs to be done.
gnored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #15

1962 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Tin Can View Post
Hi, you give me great hope! I just bought a twin to yours and sounds like you are 2 years ahead of me. I just signed up last night and would like to pick your brain in the months to come Will get pics up soon. Oremar
oremar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, 1962 overlander