Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Interior Light Issue '64 Overlander

I just finished addressing the exterior lights on my 64 Overlander. They all work including the electric brakes which I just had replaced. The interior lights run if the trailer is hooked up to the truck. If I hook up a battery in the rear compartment only the kitchen fan and the water pump work (not for sure where it is yet). The original uni-volt is missing. Does anyone have a picture of their rear compartment with all electrical components present. I am currently trying to reconstruct mine to determine which appliances currently work.
Thanks
64Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Overlander View Post
I just finished addressing the exterior lights on my 64 Overlander. They all work including the electric brakes which I just had replaced. The interior lights run if the trailer is hooked up to the truck. If I hook up a battery in the rear compartment only the kitchen fan and the water pump work (not for sure where it is yet). The original uni-volt is missing. Does anyone have a picture of their rear compartment with all electrical components present. I am currently trying to reconstruct mine to determine which appliances currently work.
Thanks
1964 trailers had what was called a "univolt."

It was nothing more than a transformer that had secondary ac voltages of 12 volts and 19 volts. The 12 volt winding was hooked up to interior lights, only.

The 19 volts was wired to the ceiling fans, and I believe the air compressor for the water tank.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Here's a copy of the wiring diagram for my '64 Overlander, hope it helps.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...mageuser=12256
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

If you can imagine what it would look like from inside the Airstream, if you had no cabinets in the way, this is what you might find. The big gray cylinder is the water heater. The gray box with two wires coming out the top is the power converter, and it puts out 12v and 19v ac. It sits behind the water heater in my '64 safari, which is on the left if you are looking into the back hatch from outside. It's tucked way back behind the switch for shore power/ battery power, which is the gray box with the black switches on the front. If these are in the shore power mode you will not get juice from your battery to your lights. The water pump is under the john just to the left of the bowl if you are looking in from outside. The battery is on the right, then the shower pan.
Sorry, I didn't take a picture from outside looking in before I got to this point!
I,ve also seen all of the wiring and components in mine now, so if you have any questions fire away. I think things are very similar between our models.
Good luck
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 195.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	82467   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 193.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	82468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 SAFARI 197.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	82469  
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
50th Anniversary Cape (Town)To Cairo Caravan and Rally

I can verify that my Overlander was very similar to Rich's Safari. The biggest difference that I notice is that my Univolt was installed in close proximity to the bundle of red and white wires seen in the photo with the Univolt. My PAR water pump was installed in very close proximity to where the Univolt is located in the photo. I am not certain, but there may be some differences between coaches depending upon whether the coach was built in California or Ohio.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It's possible that my converter was moved at some time. My water pump was replaced but it appears to be in the original location.

Something to note on the electrical system of this year Airstreams is that the water pump is on the 19vac leg from the converter and some pumps that might seem like good replacements for the original PAR pumps will not work with this voltage. Mine had a new pump, but would only operate on battery power. On shore power it would hum really loud and pump nothing at all.
Also, these converters were not considered Univolts, I believe because they had no capacity for charging your battery. You had to use a seperate battery charger. Mine was a vintage 1964 battery charger from Sears, stowed in a closet above the medicine cabinet and plugged into a outlet that was wired into the shore power 110v line.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote