Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I just bought a 1964 Ovelander (I think)

We will be happy owners of a Land yacht. There is no title and it was owned by the sellers grandmother. Transaction is still in the works. It was advertised as a 1964 but he is not sure. Things we noticed that were different. It has a gas latern type light in the kitchen, an exhaust fan in the kitchen wall that looks old, and the battery is by the tanks and is very thin surrrounded by a aluminum box. It has louver windows by the front door and it is dual leaf spring axels. The water heater is under the twin bed and it is round. I think the whole inside runs on A.C. I did not see or could find a converter. I do not have pictures yet.

Should I be worried about a missing title?

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I just bought a 1964 Ovelander (I think)

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
We will be happy owners of a Land yacht. There is no title and it was owned by the sellers grandmother. Transaction is still in the works. It was advertised as a 1964 but he is not sure. Things we noticed that were different. It has a gas latern type light in the kitchen, an exhaust fan in the kitchen wall that looks old, and the battery is by the tanks and is very thin surrrounded by a aluminum box.
The LP Light was offered as an option/dealer installed accessory in 1964, but it doesn't appear to have been particularly popular on the Overlanders based upon the various '64 Overlanders that I have toured.

The kitchen exhaust fan in most of the '64 Overlanders that I have seen is the type that vents through the sidewall very high up and is covered by a charcoal colored ABS/Plastic/Fiberglass cap. On the inside, the exhaust fan is concealed in the hood above the range.

The stock location for the battery in the '64 Overlander was in the rear one-stop service compartment. I believe that '63 was the last year for the narrow tractor battery that was mounted in the aluminum box below the front window.

Quote:
It has louver windows by the front door and it is dual leaf spring axels. The water heater is under the twin bed and it is round. I think the whole inside runs on A.C. I did not see or could find a converter. I do not have pictures yet.
The jalousie windows beside the front door began sometime in the 1950s and ended with the '64 coaches.

The '64 had Henschen DuraTorque axles as standard equipment. I believe that the Dura Torque axles became standard or near standard in 1961.

The water heater in the '64 Overlander center twin is located in the bottom of the 3/4 length wardrobe that opens into the rear bathroom.

The Univolt was introduced in the '64 coaches, prior to that most of the interior ran on 120-Volt AC with small power converters that operated the fans in the ceiling vents, the furnace blower, and the range hood vent. In most cases, the pre-'64 coaches had light fixtures with both 12-volt and 120-volt bulbs.

Quote:
Should I be worried about a missing title?
A missing title can be a problem depending upon the state where the coach is to be registered. In Illinois, for instance, I know that establishing ownership rights without a title would be a very difficult and involved process that could prove costly. If the coach is being sold to settle an estate, the estate should be able to obtain a duplicate title in fairly short order.

Based upon what you have described, I don't believe that the Overlander in question could be a 1964 model. My guess would place it as a 1960 or earlier - - possibly a 1961 at the latest.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Post ser# and you can get down to the nitty gritty,I understand Ga. is a pretty easy state to get a title for on an old trailer,orif you are close to Alabama,that is real easy.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Brian, you got a new project,eh? Post the VIN here and we can help decode it. There used to be a link on the Airstream Corp site, but I can't find it. SOmebody here will have it, I bet.

As far as the title goes, for any camper over 10 years old here in Ga, all you need is a bill of sale. Maybe 20 years old,I can't remember exactly. Either way, you're covered.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Overlander 64:

Will the serial number tell the age of the trailer? The battery is on the outside and it does not have a converter. I checked out the electic panel and it does not look like it ever has had a converter. The lights are all AC lights.

I wonder if the Cake shaped water heater works?

I will be in Anna in October and November.

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I sent you an e-mail with the serial number. It is definitely a project. It will be used mainly by my son. I have to admit I really like how it is laid out. It is only 3900 lbs. Much lighter then my 73.

I cannot wait to hear my neighbor go off when she sees I have two Airstreams parked in the backyard with pieces everywhere. I thought she was going to choke over the last one. My backyard is becoming a piece of work. Oh well; It is all fun.

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Did the 1960 airstreams have a gas refrigerator?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
congratulations
both my 63 and 64 have gas fridges: it does sound like pre 64, count the number of panels, 1964 was the first year for 5 panels, before that it was 7. Ditto what Jim said bill of sale is a no brainer here in ga pick one up at your tag office
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
is there a reason to keep the serial number a secret? You would know exactly what it is by now if you had just posted it to this thread...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Nope:

Because I did not know the significance of the serial number.

I found out by searching vintage airstream (my number I260445T). I don't have the trailer yet and I am closing the transaction. I guess I have a 1960.

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
yep an International(so you do have 12 volt) 26 footer, made in 1960, 445th trailer in sequence, and a twin model...
There should be or were round globe plaques on the front corners and a plate by the door that looks like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	111673
Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Yup, 1960 Overlander twin with International options made in Ohio.
Not the 455th one made, however. They started with 320 that year in that plant.

60Overlander

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Frank:

This trailer is mostly A.C. I was communicating with Overlander64 and he gave me some good info. I will put a Converter in it under the front seat and get some DC going in different places. I need to change out the furnace and who knows about the Bowen water heater. I have to get it home and learn how everything works. It still has the orginal gas lamp in it. I don't think it was ever used. It has a pretty new electic refrigerator. I want gas but I was told venting could be an issue.

This thing is 100% original. Nobody has made any modifications to it. I grew up in a house who had a mother who preached keeping it orginal. That is causing inner conflict. Oh well I think I will put fantastic fans in it and maybe an inexpensive elixer fan with a light. I need DC light and DC options. I am not gutting it because it looks good plus I do not have the time. It is a gift for my son. It will be heading to Bonnaroo next year.

Any information would be more then welcomed. I don't have a pic yet. Bringing it home next week.

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Frank:

I do have that picture on the trailer which says land yacht.

Brian
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
it is an international model so it has 12 volt. Not a ton, but it is there. The wall lights and fixtures will all be dual use.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Frank:

If I put in a converter with a fuse panel, then I should be able to tie off all the A.C. going to the light switches. Do you agree?

Brian

Tags