Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hunting for '61 Overlander Too...

Since it seemed to work for GT1963, I decided to start my own thread with the same title and try to sponge off the karma that brought their trailer to them.

My search began several months ago, and some of it is discussed on this thread for anyone who is interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ist-39806.html

At this point, I've looked at quite a few unit and I've decided that the Overlander is the size that I like, as well as having the tandem axles. And I've looked at campers from just about every era, and I've decided that I like the design and styling of these early 60s models the best, though each era has some great features.

So really I could go for a any of the years that has the same design features-- '60, '61, '62, '63, any of those would be great.

So I'm asking the Forum, and especially all of you early 60s Overlander owners, for your help-- if you hear any leads on any of these units out there, I'd appreciate your help in passing them along. I'll continue to do my part in checking all of newspaper listings, ebay, Craigslist, and traveling all of the farm roads I can in order to find this elusive silver beauty. In fact I was traveling some back roads outside of Forth Worth just yesterday and spotted two Airstreams that probably could have been for sale, but they were both late 70s/early 80s units.

So my search continues, and any help and leads are much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Marcus,

Earlier this month I saw a '63 Overlander on Atlanta's Craigslist. I do not have the link, but I'll PM you the info. Good Luck!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the fast response!

I actually contacted the seller on that listing the day after it was posted, and he'd already sold it.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Marcus,

a few questions...

Are you looking for a fixer upper? ...or ready to roll?

What's your price range? or max price?

Twin beds or double bed?

How far are you able/willing to drive to pick it up?

Good luck in your search!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Marcus,

a few questions...

Are you looking for a fixer upper? ...or ready to roll?

What's your price range? or max price?

Twin beds or double bed?

How far are you able/willing to drive to pick it up?

Good luck in your search!
Hi Steve-- Incidentally I heard you on the VAP from the Cherry Blossom rally, you traveled quite a ways. Sounds like it was a great time!

I'm really pretty flexible on all of the questions asked. I'd like to do some of the restoration myself so a fixer would be good. But if I found one in great condition and the price wasn't exorbitant, I'd be okay with that, too. I know a lot of veteran vintage Airstream owners encourage newbies to buy the absolute best condition they can afford, so I'd say that at the top end my budget would be in the $6K - $8K range depending on the condition.

As for layout, I see advantages for both the twin and double beds, and I'm pretty handy and a decent DIY woodworker so I could convert one to the other if necessary. I plan to replace the front gaucho with a dinette, so the front end doesn't really matter to me that much.

As for distance driven, I'm not finding ANYTHING locally here in Central Texas, so I think I'll have no choice but to travel some distance to get it.

Thanks so much for your help, it is much appreciated!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Might be a bit older than you want, but I know of a 1957 Overlander that's for sale...PM me if you want addtional details.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Did you see this one on Ebay? Its a '58 so a bit older than you were looking for but it really looks like its in good shape and a great candidate for your restoration efforts.

'58 in Pennsylvania

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Shari-- PM sent, thanks!

Brad-- Thanks for the tip, I had not yet done my daily ebay scan and hadn't seen this one. It does look like it's in really good shape, even though it appears to have a residential toilet?? Do these 50s models have a black tank under the floor, or was it originally on top of the floor and maybe it has been removed?

I'm certainly not opposed to the 50s, I think they're actually quite beautiful, I just am not as familiar with them as I am with the 60s models. Also, it seems like the 50s Overlanders didn't all have tandem axles, does that sound right?

Thanks to all for your help, it is very much appreciated!

-Marcus
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Shari-- PM sent, thanks!
Additional info sent ~
Quote:
Do these 50s models have a black tank under the floor, or was it originally on top of the floor and maybe it has been removed?

I'm certainly not opposed to the 50s, I think they're actually quite beautiful, I just am not as familiar with them as I am with the 60s models. Also, it seems like the 50s Overlanders didn't all have tandem axles, does that sound right?

Thanks to all for your help, it is very much appreciated!

-Marcus
Most of early-mid 50's trailers don't have black tanks at all...ours didn't. They either used full-hook-ups or "gopher holes". We've added both a black & two gray tanks during our restoration...big job, but worth it. I believe the tandem axles were an option...so most don't have them but some do.

Shari

P.S. You may want to check these out to see what the 50's O'landers are like. '57s were kinda a transition year...some have two axles, mre have one. Also, some have 13 panels and some 7 panels, just depends on whether they were built in OH or CA and options.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the add'l info and also for the link to your resto thread-- I've actually read through it a couple of times already!

I consider yours and many of the other resto/reno threads to be required reading for Airstream newbies like me. Other than having a trailer of your own, reading the resto threads is the absolute best way to learn the types of issues you will likely encounter when you purchase a vintage unit. I have no illusions about the amount of work I'm about to undertake, even if I buy something that appears to be in pristine condition. Fortunately, I really enjoy this type of work.

If it didn't have black tank I'd definitely want to add one, and I'd certainly consider adding a gray tank as well if I'm already going to take apart the underside of the trailer. I have a good friend with a late-model SOB that has all of the amenities, and there's no doubt he'd taunt me if I didn't have at least close to the same functionality that he does.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
OOops! Forgot the link in my P.S in post #9...here ya go: 57Overlander

Hope it works out...thanks for the kudos on our "project".

Shari

Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus, I am looking for you brother, we have talked already about that, and I am looking. I have two friends looking in Texas also. My friend Micheal Lewis loves driving the back roads(well, that is all there is in his part of Texas). I also have a friend in Madrid MN looking too.
wam52 aka Wayne Moore had a 1963 Overlander for sale... It needs a frame off, but looked to be mostly there. The price sure was right. I thought about buying it for parts, but felt I just didn't have the space for it in the yard. Try contacting him through a PM. A road trip to New Hampshire would be fun.
Expand your search to 58- 63... best era of trailers in my opinion. The dinette... the problem you will have is with the windows. You will have a window where you want back support, that is why all the Overlanders have a front gaucho and came with a folding table. The tandem axle is on the internationals I believe. I do recall a 58 Overlander owned by Rob Baker that only had one axle.
Remain patient Marcus, do not jump too fast... She is looking for you too. Go eat some more brisket for me and be patient. You now have a bunch of us Airtream freaks looking.
Airstreamguy.com - Airstreams for sale¬*¬*¬*54 Wanderer for sale ¬* very cool 1950 Flying Cloud... that would be one of the coolest around if you are looking for a real project.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Marcus, I am looking for you brother, we have talked already about that, and I am looking.
I know you are Frank, and I am very appreciative. Your help and encouragement are very meaningful to me, and the speed and skill with which you're renovating Anna is also a tremendous inspiration to me. I have much love for you, brother!

I'm simply trying to cast as wide a net as possible, and there's no more qualified and helpful group of people in the world than the fantastic people here at the AirForums.

Quote:
I have two friends looking in Texas also. My friend Micheal Lewis loves driving the back roads(well, that is all there is in his part of Texas). I also have a friend in Madrid MN looking too.
wam52 aka Wayne Moore had a 1963 Overlander for sale... It needs a frame off, but looked to be mostly there. The price sure was right. I thought about buying it for parts, but felt I just didn't have the space for it in the yard. Try contacting him through a PM. A road trip to New Hampshire would be fun.
Expand your search to 58- 63... best era of trailers in my opinion.
Consider it done, 58-63 it is. I've seen you mention this before, any particular reason why the cut-off at 63? The shape of the bathroom vanity? I think 64s still had the Jalousie windows (which are one of my favorite exterior features). And any reason the '57s are out?

Quote:
The dinette... the problem you will have is with the windows. You will have a window where you want back support, that is why all the Overlanders have a front gaucho and came with a folding table.
Yeah, I noticed this when I started looking closely at these units and thinking about window positions. Still, I think it could be done, perhaps using temporary, removeable backrest cushions rather than a rigid backrest. I'll need to have my silver mistress in front of me before I'll be able to figure this one out, but considering the way I want to use the trailer, I think the dinette is the most efficient and desirable use of the space.

Quote:
Remain patient Marcus, do not jump too fast... She is looking for you too. Go eat some more brisket for me and be patient. You now have a bunch of us Airtream freaks looking.
As always, a sincere thank you for your help and support. Patience is a virtue or so they say, it's just one that I have not been blessed with very much of. I try to make up for it in other ways...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

Consider it done, 58-63 it is. I've seen you mention this before, any particular reason why the cut-off at 63? The shape of the bathroom vanity? I think 64s still had the Jalousie windows (which are one of my favorite exterior features). And any reason the '57s are out?
)
Okay, the reason is purely my opinion and may spark a lot of debate and discussion.... so please remember this is my opinion. The 58- 63 trailers were a result of many years of Wally going out and testing the limits of their performance. As things failed, he improved them. The Dynatorque axle was a result of this evolution. Black tanks, 12 volt that was self contained, better windows... many things came about during this period. When Wally passed on things began to change. As time passed things changed even more. The comfort level in the 58-63 is very high in my opinion also. My trailer is almost all propane fired and I find that a huge luxury with out too many bells and whistles.
I like all the Airstreams, never seen one that I do not appreciate. I am just drawn to the 58- 63 era. To each his own...
Marcus, follow your heart, get what works for you. I look forward to seeing you up the road soon enough.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
sorry, more.... pre 57. I have no issues there, just a more skilled renovation will be required.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Hey Marcus, Send an email here toozigoottrailercoach@gmail.com tell them what you looking for.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Just an idea......

1963 Vintage Airstream camper
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Frank, thanks for the contact information, Rob recommended the same thing and I have initiated contact.

Rick, thanks for the listing. The seller lists it as a 30' so it might be a Sovereign, but it's tough to tell from the pictures, can't see how much room is behind the axles. I'll follow up regardless to see what it's all about.

Thanks!
-Marcus
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:

Rick, thanks for the listing. The seller lists it as a 30' so it might be a Sovereign, but it's tough to tell from the pictures, can't see how much room is behind the axles. I'll follow up regardless to see what it's all about.

Thanks!
-Marcus
You're welcome. You never know how someone is measuring their trailer. You can't tell much from the pictures, inside or out.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Getting a little closer......just cut out 2 feet & 2 years!

eBay Motors: 1963 Airstream Ambassador 28ft (item 250242916120 end time May-04-08 18:01:27 PDT)&