Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #121
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8gal
Are you saying you bought it?
What is the implication here?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Not sure if it's too late, but it is pretty dern far from Central Texas! Still, it looks to be in really nice shape, and it still has the refer, which the one I'm considering does not. That's a nice selling feature if it still works.

Steve-- yeah, a travling buddy is probably the main thing holding me back right now. My wife is back to working full time, and I'm having a tough time finding anyone else with the time to go in the next few weeks. I have the one buddy who really only works when his job takes him out of town, and he's supposed to be at home next week, so he said he'd come with me if he's still around at the time. But that's not very definite.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Are you saying you bought it?
What is the implication here?
Nope Frank, that's a different one, up in Washington state. It looks similar, but it's a '59 instead of a '58. It has the "California" wheel well, but not the raked "California" wheel well of the year earlier vintage, like the one I'm looking at.

I believe the implication is that this listing might be too late to help me if I've already pulled the trigger, which I haven't, but this '59 in Washington state is AWFULLY far away from me...

Still, looks pretty nice. Just based on those pictures, it will end up being a really nice trailer for someone, and I appreciate the posting to this thread. It's great to have so many in this community who are so willing to help out a stranger!

Thanks for the heads-up fr8gal!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #124
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
May be a day late, and a dollar short

AirDreamin', you are welcome. Keep on looking!

62overlander, sorry, newbie mistake. "we are not worthy."
Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #125
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8gal
AirDreamin', you are welcome. Keep on looking!

62overlander, sorry, newbie mistake. "we are not worthy."
Oh, it is cool, I have been looking hard for Marcus and so have a bunch of us. I felt he found something special and was thrown off a bit by the 59 or 58, by the california wheel wells verses the ohio. Thought maybe you were saying "too late I bought it"...

Marcus, a reefer is easy to find. If you are into camping old school, a propane only is very cheap to boot. There is always the 1950 Clipper in Idaho if you want a real project. I wish I lived closer, for I would go in a second. We could eat BBQ all the way across the Republic, then green chili enchiladas all the way across New Mexico. I bet a co pilot will come through. Sending good thoughts your way.....
Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It was a hastle...

I HATE bureaucrats! Working with local DMV office and the State Hqtrs finally got the Texas vintage tag activated. Beware of the numerous types of vintage plates....they only accept specific ones and searching out those specifics is not fun. I now have a collection of vintage Texas trailer plates which were not acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage plate.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	61374  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the heads-up, it looks great!

I can forego the vintage plate for the time being (heck, I don't even have the TRAILER yet!) but I'm wondering if you had any experience with getting a title in Texas when the trailer doesn't have one? Or, did yours already have a clear title (from whichever state) when you purchased?

Thanks!

-Marcus
Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So, for extensive discussions of Texas legal statutes related to obtaining a title for a vehicle that does not have one, you can look here"

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...xas-39582.html

Sadly, we really haven't come to much resolution. I've been researching here and on some other legal websites related to vehicle titles in Texas (trailers have pretty much the same statutes as any other car or truck in Texas), and from what I've found it seems like it's very difficult. Often times, the people who are succesful found a sympathetic ear, or knew someone in a position of power/authority in their county who helped them push it through.

If I'm investing thousands of dollars on this, I don't think I want to leave it up to luck or chance that my paperwork might somehow be approved, or not approved, as the case may be.

I'm headed to the Travis County tax assessor/collector tomorrow for some details, but right now I have to say I'm pretty discouraged. I think the wisest course of action would be to wait for one with a clear title. But, we'll see what the County has to say tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The good news is that I did find a buddy who can make the drive with me. So I've got my fingers crossed that I can find some way to resolve this title issue.

(Thanks for the good thoughts, Frank, looks like it worked for a driving buddy. Now can you send me some good thoughts for a clear title??? )

-Marcus
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
First call to the tax assessor/collector's office still leaves a lot of ambiguity.

The person I talked to asked if the trailer was less than 4000 lbs gross (since it's a 50s Overlander, it is indeed less than 4000 lbs). When I replied that it was less than 4,000 lbs, she told me that these trailers are rarely titled in Texas. In order to register it, I would still need to submit the Form 130U Application for a Texas Title, and then pay all of the appropriate fees (and of course sales tax at 6.25% of the purchase price).

But this doesn't sound right to me, I know other Airstream owners in Texas carry titles on their TTs, so I'm still going to have to stop by the office and hopefully talk to someone further back behind the front desk.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Now can you send me some good thoughts for a clear title???
Marcus,

Give THESE GUYS a call. A friend of mine that buys lots of old GMC trucks uses them to get titles. I think what they do is register the vehicle in a state the allows registration from a bill of sale. Then you can take the valid registration to your state and make the transfer. I'm sure they can explain it much better than I have. I don't think it is really that expensive or time consuming.

Good luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Marcus,

Give THESE GUYS a call. A friend of mine that buys lots of old GMC trucks uses them to get titles. I think what they do is register the vehicle in a state the allows registration from a bill of sale. Then you can take the valid registration to your state and make the transfer. I'm sure they can explain it much better than I have. I don't think it is really that expensive or time consuming.

Good luck!
Many thanks Steve, that sounds like a good possibility. I get the feeling you REALLY want me to pick up this '58. Is that so that you can share the love/hate of vintage ownership??
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I get the feeling you REALLY want me to pick up this '58.
I really want you to get the trailer that years down the road you and your family are still in love with... whatever one that might be.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I really want you to get the trailer that years down the road you and your family are still in love with... whatever one that might be.
Well, I can't argue with THAT, especially coming from a man who owns TWO vintage Airstreams...
Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #135
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
.... he is also trying to say that there are trailers. There are cool trailers. And then there are the really cool trailers. You know what I, I mean Steve, is getting at?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
.... he is also trying to say that there are trailers. There are cool trailers. And then there are the really cool trailers. You know what I, I mean Steve, is getting at?
So you... err.. I mean Steve, thinks this is REALLY cool trailer?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
First call to the tax assessor/collector's office still leaves a lot of ambiguity.

The person I talked to asked if the trailer was less than 4000 lbs gross (since it's a 50s Overlander, it is indeed less than 4000 lbs). When I replied that it was less than 4,000 lbs, she told me that these trailers are rarely titled in Texas. In order to register it, I would still need to submit the Form 130U Application for a Texas Title, and then pay all of the appropriate fees (and of course sales tax at 6.25% of the purchase price).

But this doesn't sound right to me, I know other Airstream owners in Texas carry titles on their TTs, so I'm still going to have to stop by the office and hopefully talk to someone further back behind the front desk.
Marcus, just found and thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful thread. Wish I'd found it sooner. Seems like we've got to figure out a way to collectively accumulate enough karma to get you that title. Apparently the person you talked to at the tax office assumed that the trailer wasn't of the titled variety. I think a TT, on the other hand, would be considered a titled trailer since they are originally issued a title and a VIN from the factory. It would seem these "untitled trailers" are of the homemade variety or purchased at HD in a box and then assembled in the driveway. No kidding. I've done this several times myself. You take a bill of sale, the cash register receipt, to the tax assessor and they will issue a title and registration without batting an eye. I think your plan is a good one. Consider it advanced reconnaissance. I think with a little luck you'll eventually get your title and your cool trailer. BTW I vote hook and tow!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Marcus, just found and thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful thread. Wish I'd found it sooner. Seems like we've got to figure out a way to collectively accumulate enough karma to get you that title. Apparently the person you talked to at the tax office assumed that the trailer wasn't of the titled variety. I think a TT, on the other hand, would be considered a titled trailer since they are originally issued a title and a VIN from the factory. It would seem these "untitled trailers" are of the homemade variety or purchased at HD in a box and then assembled in the driveway. No kidding. I've done this several times myself. You take a bill of sale, the cash register receipt, to the tax assessor and they will issue a title and registration without batting an eye. I think your plan is a good one. Consider it advanced reconnaissance. I think with a little luck you'll eventually get your title and your cool trailer. BTW I vote hook and tow!
Thanks Todd-- and after reading this thread, NOW you can probably figure out how I'm one of the very few "Rivet Masters" with no Airstream! Some folks probably think I'm chatty, I just consider myself "friendly."

If you're terribly bored, or if you're dreading polishing your trailer, and you want another long, rambling read, you could check out the original thread I started when I discovered this Forum and began my Search in earnest-- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ist-39806.html

Also, it looks like everyone's collected karma and good will might be working on my behalf. I talked to the seller last night and he agreed that he should be selling it with a title, and indicated that he doesn't believe he will have any trouble obtaining one, so he's headed down to his county courthouse today to begin the process. He was very understanding, and I think he also doesn't want to lose this potential sale as a result of not having the title.

So I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
titles titles titles

YEA!!!! keep us posted!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Todd-- and after reading this thread, NOW you can probably figure out how I'm one of the very few "Rivet Masters" with no Airstream! Some folks probably think I'm chatty, I just consider myself "friendly."

If you're terribly bored, or if you're dreading polishing your trailer, and you want another long, rambling read, you could check out the original thread I started when I discovered this Forum and began my Search in earnest-- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ist-39806.html

Also, it looks like everyone's collected karma and good will might be working on my behalf. I talked to the seller last night and he agreed that he should be selling it with a title, and indicated that he doesn't believe he will have any trouble obtaining one, so he's headed down to his county courthouse today to begin the process. He was very understanding, and I think he also doesn't want to lose this potential sale as a result of not having the title.

So I've got my fingers crossed.
Very good! We'll keep ours crossed too.

If more potential purchasers would demand titles I think we would begin to see the deeper trouble which is lazy sellers not wanting to do their title paperwork. That creates lots of problems for buyers who for one reason or another seem to be not requiring the appropriate documentation from the jurisidiction of origin.

Purchasers need to be proactive in this area and put the burden of producing a title squarely on a seller's shoulders where it belongs. As you have done. In most cases it's going to be much easier for an existing seller to obtain a title than for a subsequent purchaser. At the very least a paper trail will be created. Let's hope this happens in your case!

No worries. Maybe you don't have an airstream yet but you've definitely attained rivet master status in the elegance of your pursuit of one! Thanks for the link too. I'm looking forward to reading the earlier history of this tale of a search for the perfect overlander. Very nice!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote