Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

Do you know anyone with a current SOB plate?
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord
Do you know anyone with a current SOB plate?
I don't think so, but I DO know someone with a vintage Texas trailer plate... now WHERE have I seen a picture of that thing...?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

Actually I did transport mine home using the tag off of my pop-up! But then we swap trailer tags all the time. I have never known anyone to get caught but I guess it is possible. You just have to LOOK honest.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I suppose I could use the plate off my boat trailer. But I'd rather find a "proper" way to do it if possible, since it'll be a 700-mile trip.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

In Texas now the plates actually say "Travel Trailer" so I wouldn't use that one. I made a trip to the court house this week to have my Year of Manufacture plate approved. The county clerk approved it, then she called TxDOT and was on the phone with them for an hour and they approved it but when they tried to enter it into the computor it rejected it because in 1970 it said "Trailer" and not "Travel Trailer". D$%# computers!

So I guess I will have to mount it on the propane bottles or use the renewal sticker on it next year (and keep the real plate in the AS for safety) and take my chances. I wonder why they think us Texans are sorta outlaw!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
I suppose I could use the plate off my boat trailer. But I'd rather find a "proper" way to do it if possible, since it'll be a 700-mile trip.
As long as all the lights work (and its useful to bring along some temporary ones just in case) you should be okay. Most of our trailers make the trip to NY posing as a 2005 Airstream International (the one we just sold).
Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Good advice-- since I already know that NONE of the lights work, I'll be taking along a set of temporary lights anyway. Do they make sets that are long enough for a 26' O'lander or would I need to make up an extension cable?

And is your Clipper going to pose as a 2005 model at some point? That would be a stretch.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #108
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you could also slog over to the MVA and get a temporary one...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
you could also slog over to the MVA and get a temporary one...
Or don't bother with any of it and just hook on and roll...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Temporary Tag

Hey Marcus, I "chatted" with you briefly when you first came on to the Forum. (I'm UT '72) anyway, my '66 Caravel came to Dallas all the way from North Carolina with just some handmade temporary tag. When I went to register it here in Dallas - I got the long laundry list of "to-do's" before I could get a tag - such as get it weighed locally and have it inspected for safety - and since I'm still in restoration phase, that has not been done. However, when I asked about towing in the meantime, they said they could provide me a temporary tag - so I think there must be quite a bit of leniency in this department. So, are you going for the one out of state? paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Paula,

Yes indeed, I definitely remember chatting with you. We Longhorns have to stick together in this cruel, cruel world.

Thanks for the information-- was it the DMV/DPS that issues the temp tags? Also, do you have a copy of the "to-do" list? What you've mentioned sounds similar to what I've seen folks from other states list as the requirements to get new title and registration if it is not current.

The out-of-state one is not a done deal, but it's looking pretty good. I certainly like it quite a bit.

Thanks for the help!

-Marcus
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
To Do List

Marcus, I'll attempt to attach a scan of the "list" - also you have to fill
out form 130-U which is the Application for Texas Certificate of Title.
My Caravel was titled in West Virginia - so I have to apply for a Texas title and have it weighed and inspected in order to get a tag. Cool thing I noticed on line - we can apply for Vintage Travel Trailer tags. I hope I get to that point some day! paula
couldn't attach the file successfully - send me your email and I will attach it there.
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #113
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Or don't bother with any of it and just hook on and roll...

Hook on and tow works fine my friend as you will soon find out. I have had excellent results and can give you solid referals from other who did the same. But the law has eyes that look for silly stuff like out of date tags and lights out. When your hair is down your back it draws their attention too, but that is another story.
so when are you going to hook on and roll?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I've got a buddy who doesn't really work, he said he'd probably be willing to drive out and back with me toward the end of next week, so I'm thinking next Thursday/Friday, that way I'm not sacrificing a weekend (and I can spend my weekend playing with the new toy rather than hauling it ).

I'd like to try to bargain with the seller to see if he could meet me half-way, that would make it just a day-trip instead of two. But, since there are no tags, the lights don't work, and the trailer definitely needs new tires and bearings re-packed before traveling, I don't know how willing to deal on that he'll be.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #115
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Hook on and tow works fine my friend as you will soon find out. I have had excellent results and can give you solid referals from other who did the same. But the law has eyes that look for silly stuff like out of date tags and lights out. When your hair is down your back it draws their attention too, but that is another story.
so when are you going to hook on and roll?
Listen to Frank. Just hook up and pull it. You must, however, have the right frame of mind. You cannot worry, just believe that it will all be OK. Last February, Rob Baker and I drove 300 miles to pick up my 61 Ambassador. Before the trip I loaded the van with every tool I had, $130 worth of new bearings, 5 new tires mounted on rims, 2 bottle jacks, a floor jack, and a high-lift jack. Our plan was to get to the trailer, change the bearings, change the tires, etc. As we were pulling into the driveway where the Trailer was, we got Frank on the phone and told him that we had made it and would be heading back home in a few hours after we had completed all of the above mentioned work. There was a pause on the line. Then Frank came back and said, "You know, I think you guys should just hook on and go. Don't worry about it. I'm thinking good thoughts and sending karma your way". So we did. Made it 300 miles without issue on old tires and bearings that who knows when they were last serviced.

Just hook on and go. Life is meant to be an adventure. What will happen? Go find out!
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

[quote=RoverOwner]Listen to Frank. Just hook up and pull it. quote]

Check it out some though. I did the same thing in February. Drove 125 miles home with no problems. Then discovered that the PO had not tightened the lug nuts on one wheel. They were hand tight at best. The wheel didn't fall off but it ruined that rim and sheared one lug bolt. I think both me and my Airstream were very lucky.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey RoverOwner, I didn't realize that this was your moniker on the Airforums-- I've been reading through your blog lately, and it's really interesting to watch how yours, Rob's, and Frank's all twist around and intersect here and there. You're doing some great work, looks like a lot of fun, for the whole family literally!

I've hauled many boat trailers and utility trailers in various states of questionable repair, but I'm completely new to TTs, hence my hesitancy. But the advice is much appreciated and your points are well taken.

Of course, I've also had some blowouts at speed, and a couple of times without a spare pf any kind. When that happens hauling a boat trailer over <60 mile distances that's one thing, but when it happens in the hinterlands of far North Texas with not a town or village for a hundred miles, that could be something else...

Vernon-- yes, there's definitely some basic maintenance that it makes sense to take care of. I'm glad that both you and your trailer survived the ordeal, and to the wiser.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner
Just hook on and go. Life is meant to be an adventure. What will happen? Go find out!
I just this myself last weekend. I too, was totally prepared for disaster, but when I inspected the trailer the tires looked OK. The seller used his compressor to put a little air in the tires and we were off. I stopped at 20 miles and then again at 100 miles. Both stops proved to be an uneventful check of the running gear. All in all, 380 miles on the hitch with no problems... except a gentle swing of the door in a door at the first toll booth. I hopped out and reworked my bungee and we were secure again.

Make sure to take a traveling companion!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #119
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
May be a day late, and a dollar short

Airstream 1959

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #120
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay... hold on. I need to clarify. I am saying hook on and go is a frame of mind. You need to make sure what you are doing it safe, you need the basics to work, but do not get too stressed. Hook on, make sure you have lights, make sure everything is secure, make sure your tires are under pressure, and go. Hit the road and have no fear.... John had to cut the electric brakes because some fool had wired them wrong. Everytime he turned on a turn signal the electric brakes came on. He had to tow and go on a naked ball. For years that is all folks did. He had no problem and she towed great on the original gear.
Marcus, I was looking at the photos and you are getting a sweet trailer. You will be very happy with that one. What will you name her? I will be thinking of you as you are on the road.