Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #81
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
How do you type drooling?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
How do you type drooling?
I think it looks something like this:

:P~

Have you ever tried to make your own Q? It's really pretty simple. Having the right equipment makes it a piece of cake, and briskets require a lot of cooking space, but you could do ribs or pork tenderloins or chickens on a small Weber if you set it up right.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #83
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I smoke meat all the time... love to BBQ, but the wood is the key. We do not always have mesquite available here. Hickory is just not the same. I often put a brisket in the weber and cook it all day at about 150- 200. Melts in your mouth. My rub is fairly good too, dry rub, no sauce... Damn it Marcus, Now I want some....
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I smoke meat all the time... love to BBQ, but the wood is the key. We do not always have mesquite available here. Hickory is just not the same. I often put a brisket in the weber and cook it all day at about 150- 200. Melts in your mouth. My rub is fairly good too, dry rub, no sauce... Damn it Marcus, Now I want some....
Me too. Dern good thing I live down here in Texico where the wood and BBQ are plentiful...

But you know, most of the places down here use oak as the majority of their smoking wood, and you could too if it's plentiful. And the fruit woods like apple and cherry make delicious BBQ too. Personally, I like to use a blend of oak, mesquite, and pecan or apple if I have it (cherry is incredibly expensive and I'd rather leave it to the carpenters than burn it up).
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #85
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
burned five cords (one cord=2'x4'x8' stacked)of cherry to heat my house and shop this winter. Not all cherry is furniture quality.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
burned five cords (one cord=2'x4'x8' stacked)of cherry to heat my house and shop this winter. Not all cherry is furniture quality.
Hmmm, it's tough to find down here, and expensive when you do. You should try smoking with it-- makes great BBQ. Apple, too.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #87
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
66, 67,68 Overlanders have a very weak rear end. Airstream used a below floor black tank on many of the models, and eliminated the rearmost crossmember completely to have room for the dump valve assembly inside the bumper compartment. There is a very shallow steel profile running under the rear access hatch, under the floor, which is pretty much all there is to support the rearmost section of the shell and floor. This is a flexible affair at best, meaning that water entry and severe floor rot in that area is not uncommon.
They are very nice trailers, but be prepared to make repairs on any of the 66-67-68 trailers with a below floor black tank.

Also, on these models, the skin wraps down the sides to meet the belly pan. Look forward and aft of the wheel wells for separation. This is naother area of concern, besides the normal poking around for soft spots.

Save me some bbq, pls.....
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Uwe, thanks so much for the information and for looking in on my search. So are those the model years that are most prone to the infamous "rear end separation" and is that the root cause for the problem?

I'd gladly trade you a mountain of BBQ for the chance to tour your famous trailer. If you're ever in Austin please don't hesitate to look me up, I really would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain on matters Airstream.

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #89
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Hey Uwe, thanks so much for the information and for looking in on my search. So are those the model years that are most prone to the infamous "rear end separation" and is that the root cause for the problem?
I believe that the cause for the separation has different roots, and not just one. Water leaks, either by means of leaking windows, hatches, or plumbing are definitely one of the causes, softening the floor and eventually rotting.
Vibration is another cause. Regular road vibration, as well as that from a poorly balanced running gear.
Then owner abuse...bike racks, spare tires, lack of attention and maintenance...driving habits...etc.etc.
The construction of the trailer isn't perfect. Nothing is....

Quote:
I'd gladly trade you a mountain of BBQ for the chance to tour your famous trailer. If you're ever in Austin please don't hesitate to look me up, I really would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain on matters Airstream.

Thanks,
-Marcus
Marcus, we missed each other. I went to Austin 2 years in a row to exhibit at your convention center.
While in Austin in July, I stayed at the Pecan Grove RV park, in my Overlander. It rained a lot, so the place was a mess, but the year before it was great. Love the restaurant on Barton Springs Road and had coffee and dinner there just about every day during my week long stay.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Marcus, we missed each other. I went to Austin 2 years in a row to exhibit at your convention center.
While in Austin in July, I stayed at the Pecan Grove RV park, in my Overlander. It rained a lot, so the place was a mess, but the year before it was great. Love the restaurant on Barton Springs Road and had coffee and dinner there just about every day during my week long stay.
Yes, I remember reading in your thread that you had visited Austin with your Airstream-- I am indeed sorry I missed you. If you ever find yourself back this way, the beer and BBQ are on me.

-Marcus
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #91
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Yes, I remember reading in your thread that you had visited Austin with your Airstream-- I am indeed sorry I missed you. If you ever find yourself back this way, the beer and BBQ are on me.

-Marcus
Gracious offer gladly accepted. One thing is for sure, it will not be in July ever again. Too hot, wet and muggy in Austin during that time, is what I have learned. But, what a great city!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
Gracious offer gladly accepted. One thing is for sure, it will not be in July ever again. Too hot, wet and muggy in Austin during that time, is what I have learned. But, what a great city!
Thanks. I'm one of those rare Austinites who was actually born and raised here. I think there are 12 of us.

July and August are definitely hot, and often humid as well. The best way I've learned to manage it is to own a boat and spend as much time on the lake as possible. And yes, like Airstreams, boats are just giant pits that you throw money into. No wonder I'm so drawn to the Airstream...
Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'd like to take a minute to thank all of you who are helping me, either with advice, or leads on potential trailers, or both.

Frank actually mentioned me on the most recent episode of The VAP. That was really cool, and I am deeply appreciative. And if Colin decides he doesn't want to use that 3-wheeled '63 then I'll try to be the first in line for it.

This forum is a unique and special place. I'm an electrical engineer (well, these days I'm a marketing manager type) and I work for a large semiconductor company. I've been programming computers since I was nine-- I bought my first, a Timex Sinclair 1000, with money I made mowing lawns and trimming trees. A couple of years later my parents bought an Apple IIe and I ran my own computer message board (we called them BBS's back then) from it using a 300-baud acoustical model. Since then I've owned, operated, administrated, moderated, and simply participated in scores (and perhaps hundreds?) of message boards and chat systems, and this one really is, by far, the most helpful and friendly place I've ever been on.

So anyway, I think that's my rather long-winded way of saying thanks to all of you for your help, I appreciate it very much. And a special thanks to Frank, who I think is making an extra effort to help me because he's afraid I'm going to sneak up there and try to steal Anna in the middle of the night.

No worries Frank, if I did, I'd be sure to leave you a big heaping helping of smoked brisket in her place. Maybe some ribs and sausage, too.

-Marcus
Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #94
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So the Rockport '63 is now being listed in both the Austin and Corpus Christi Craigslist. I know why they listed it in Corpus, but I wonder why they listed it in Austin and not Houston or any of the Craigslists down in the Valley?

I'm suspicious that it was done simply to taunt me.

And of course, they still have it listed as a 1966 model...

1966 AIRSTREAM Land Yacht
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So right now I'm considering an out-of-state trailer with no title. The seller has two bills of sale, one from the previous owner, and one from his own purchase of the trailer, that he can provide. The status of its registration in its current state is unknown to me right now.

I've heard that in Texas it's tough to obtain a title, so I'm wondering if there are any Texans out there on the Forums who might have done this in the past and, if so, what steps they had to take and how long the process took?

I've also posted this on the appropriate title/registration forum, but I'm not sure how much traffic that one gets.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

-Marcus
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58_Olander_Int1 Rev1.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	61177   Click image for larger version

Name:	58_Olander_Ext1 Rev1.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	61178  

Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Marcus,

I have had good luck going to the county tax office and telling them exactly what you have and ask them what else you will need. Honesty is the best policy here. If it is not a busy time they a generally very helpful especially the smaller court houses in the lessor populated counties (you may want to travel outside Austin for questions although it will have to be licensed in your county).

Another option would be to phone or email TxDot.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Vernon, much appreciated!

You can tell by the exterior that a polishing party will definitely be in order...

-Marcus
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Another question-- how to legally tow it from out-of-state into Texas without it having any current registration?

I've read on another thread (I believe it was Uwe's original "63 for Me" thread) where he obtained a temporary traveling permit of some kind, but that was in California so I'm not sure if the Texas requirements are similar.

Any Texan vintage Airstream recovery experts out there?