Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
2" is standard for the vintage units.... forgot that part... now go get it.
Many thanks Frank, I'm trying to hook that up right now.

I have a few more grainy photos that I'll post up, and the seller is supposed to send me more today. Additionally I'm asking for further info on the overall condition of the unit.

Like you said, it looks like the furnace has been removed and the opening covered-- not a big deal to me, I live in Texas and do the majority of my camping in the South, and in the Summer. Good fans and some type of AC will be far more important. This unit doesn't appear to have AC, so that would be one of the first things to look into. But I like the undisturbed roofline, so I might have to look into some type of in-coach installation as Uwe has done. But that's a LONG way off, first things first.

One other interesting thing, although the serial number says it's a twin model, the interior pictures appear to show a large bed on one side of the bedroom, and cabinets on the other. So, it'll be interesting to see what other modifications might have been made.

By the way, although Uwe and Ken J were early inspirations, your thread and blog for Anna are among my current inspirations, so I really do appreciate the extra time and support you've given me.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Okay, here are the small, grainy pics that I'm working with so far...
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I could be wrong, but the mahogany I have seen is not Honduran. The only mahogany I seen in Airstreams is Philippine, like luan or marranti. That is not really a mahogany. When the time comes, I will help you with veneer sources. African mahogany is my personal choice if you want that classic look.

Glad to know I am not the only one to be inspired by Uwe and his 63.
I love mahogany for sure. I've seen some Airstream sources list the interiors of the mid-late-60s International models as "Honduran mahognay" but maybe that's just a myth? Here's a link to a '65 Tradewind that is currently listed on the Classifieds here on this site, this is what they're calling Honduran mahogany (not just this seller, I've seen the refernece before), but you're a carpenter and I am but a lowly engineering nerd, so I'll take your word for it:

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 1965 24' Land Yacht TradeWind - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I stand corrected... again. Thank you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I stand corrected... again. Thank you.
Heh... well, YOU can tell the difference, and I cannot, so there's something right there.

Did you see the additional pictures I posted up-thread, at the end of Page3? Any initial thoughts? They're small and grainy, tough to tell much, but what I did find interesting is that it appears to have a full-size bed in the bedroom with cabinets on the opposite wall, but the serial number lists it as a Twin model. I wonder what other modifications are lurking...?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
A few more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic7.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	59944   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic8.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	59945  

Name:	63Overlander_Pic9.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	59946   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic10.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	59947  

Name:	63Overlander_Pic11.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	59948   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic12.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	59949  

Name:	63Overlander_Pic13.JPG
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	59950  
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #47
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus, if I input too much today let me know, my youngest is home sick and what else can I do but post... That is an Overlander for sure. Sorry about all that paint. I am sure you will be taking it all the way down so no big deal. No fridge, bummer, probably would have been a gas only Dometic (my favorite part of Anna). Also, those axles... I am sure Andy will PM you a price...
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
did you take those photos or are they from the seller?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So from the pics, the things I immediately see are the following:

1) No LPG tanks.
2) Refer appears to be missing.
3) Definitely modifications to the bedroom, one twin removed and replaced with cabinets, the other twin extended to a bigger size. This is actually a modification I would consider myself if I ended up with a twin model.
4) Overall shell seems to be in decent shape.
5) Two wheels have their hub caps, two do not and appear they might be mismatched.
6) Andy will invariably tell me the axles are shot. I'd say he would be right.
7) Lots of paint to be stripped.

Anything else to note from the pictures, such as they are?

I noticed that they appear to have wiped off the letters on the rear window that previously advertised their asking price-- it looked like $3499 to me in the original picture I saw. The Internet ad I saw was asking $5K. I think $5K would definitely be too high, while $3500 seems a bit more in line.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I thought that was an Ohio, but the tub... it is curbside?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Marcus, if I input too much today let me know, my youngest is home sick and what else can I do but post... That is an Overlander for sure. Sorry about all that paint. I am sure you will be taking it all the way down so no big deal. No fridge, bummer, probably would have been a gas only Dometic (my favorite part of Anna). Also, those axles... I am sure Andy will PM you a price...
These are pics the seller is sending me. The unit is about 200 miles away, down along the Texas Gulf Coast (rust concerns for sure if it has spent any portion of its life there).

Your input is welcome, I'm stuck in conference calls and meetings today so no doubt I'll spend a lot of time on the 'net as well (hope your daughter feels better soon!). This is a big purchase and will no doubt be a big project afterwards-- the more informed I am, the better. I'm an engineer and always look for lots of data.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I thought that was an Ohio, but the tub... it is curbside?
From the position of the bathroom counter, tub appears to be curbside. From the VIN, it would seem to be Ohio. But it seems like a lot of these were really one-off.

I too am bummed about the refer-- a vintage gas Dometic would have been cool.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Marcus,

If you are considering this trailer focus on the structural condition... frame, skin, windows, floor. If it is clean and sound with very little if any blemishes on the skin it may be worth $3000 max. Looks like it's being sold by some sort of RV seller... they usually over price trailers in this condition.

It looks to me like a twin converted to a double... those cabinets on the curb side are not original. It looks like a lot of the original cabinetry was overlayed with bead board and then painted. This would lead me to believe that there was significant water damage.

Have you seen this trailer in-person?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Marcus,

If you are considering this trailer focus on the structural condition... frame, skin, windows, floor. If it is clean and sound with very little if any blemishes on the skin it may be worth $3000 max. Looks like it's being sold by some sort of RV seller... they usually over price trailers in this condition.

It looks to me like a twin converted to a double... those cabinets on the curb side are not original. It looks like a lot of the original cabinetry was overlayed with bead board and then painted. This would lead me to believe that there was significant water damage.

Have you seen this trailer in-person?
Thanks for the input Steve, it makes sense. I haven't seen the trailer in person, it's about 200 miles away (everything is at least 200 miles away from Central Texas, pretty much ).

And yes, it is being sold by an RV place called Camper Clinic. They actually have a couple of locations, one near Austin, and then this one down on the Gulf Coast.

Obviously it's difficult to tell about the frame, subfloor, and windows from the pictures. And there's no telling what the seller will tell me about it. I agree, I definitely would be hoping for a unit that was clean and structurally sound in all of those areas.

Also, definitely looks to be overlayed with bead board and then painted, so your observation on likely water damage is very helpful (and a bit scary).

Please feel free to provide more input, it is much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #55
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! go down, do some red fishing, look at the camper, have some BBQ along the way. Who know' s might be hot to get rid of it.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! go down, do some red fishing, look at the camper, have some BBQ along the way. Who know' s might be hot to get rid of it.
Unfortunately I don't have time for the fishing because it will have to be a day trip, but the very good news is that some of the best BBQ on the planet is located on the backroads between Austin and Rockport. The small towns of Lockhart and Luling have some amazing BBQ joints, and I could stop in either town (or both) to grab some Q on the journey.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Yep. thats a curbside tub alright!!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So, I talked to the "Sales Consultant" at the RV store where this one is being sold and, as expected, not much help. Since they don't even know the length or year of this unit, I didn't expect them to know much else. He claims they have a clear title in their possession-- but wouldn't the title state the correct year and length for the trailer?

Anyway, they say the only appliance present is the range/cooktop. The refer is missing, we know the furnace is missing from the pictures, there never was an AC unit, and he seemed to think the hot water heater was missing as well. They haven't (and won't) test any of the electrical, water, or gas (the LPG tanks are missing anyway). The sales guy says the floor seems really solid and that what bits of exposed frame he can see (a-frame) only seem to have surface rust on them .

The website still has an asking price of $4590, but I'll post some pics below and you'll see a window sticker with 3490 clearly marked. Maybe these are the pics from the yard of whoever sold it to the RV dealer, and the dealer is trying to mark it up $1K without testing anything?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
More Pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63Overlander_Pic14.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	59961   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic15.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	59962  

Name:	63Overlander_Pic16.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	59963   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic17.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	59964  

Name:	63Overlander_Pic18.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	59965   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Overlander_Pic19.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	59966  

Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So a pertinent question is, how do you check the frame for rust if you can't see it? This unit is in a coastal town right now, though I have no idea how much time it has spent there over its lifetime.

With the belly pan intact (and I'm told it is), how can you know?