Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
I saw this one! When I saw the "1963" I thought I was there...

I don't have anything against the Ambassador, it's a fine trailer indeed. Just really have my heart set on the Overlander. I don't think I'm quite refined enough to own something called an "Ambassador" anyway. Maybe if they had named it the "Airstream 1963 Uncouth & Rowdy"...

Still, thanks for thinking of me when you saw it. Everyone has been quite supportive and it is very much appreciated. I'll find her, I have no doubt.

Or, as Frank (62overlander) keeps telling me, she'll find me, since she's looking for me too. I like the sound of that.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
The seller has a web site & it looks like he sells & restores used Airstreams.

faq, domain
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Hey now Marcus.. do not exclude the Ambassador or the Sovereign, they both would serve you well. The weight difference between an Overlander and a Sovereign is so negligible with the legacy trailers. I personally would love the few extra feet... that way I could expand my polishing by 25 - 30 hours.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Hey now Marcus.. do not exclude the Ambassador or the Sovereign, they both would serve you well. The weight difference between an Overlander and a Sovereign is so negligible with the legacy trailers. I personally would love the few extra feet... that way I could expand my polishing by 25 - 30 hours.
Heh... that's exactly what I'm afraid of!

If you're a '58-'63 snob, then perhaps I'm an Overlander snob (even though I do not yet have one). There's something about the proportions of the trailer in front of and behind the axles that really appeals to me aesthetically on the Overlander (and the tandem axle Tradewinds too, honestly). To my eye, the Ambassador and the Sovereign just look a little too long in the rear.

Still, if it were the right opportunity, I might consider one of those other models.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
there is nothing wrong with going long is all I want to say.
Nothing wrong with more polishing either.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with going long is all I want to say.
Nothing wrong with more polishing either.
(Yes, I read your blog regularly. )
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Since it seemed to work for GT1963, I decided to start my own thread with the same title and try to sponge off the karma that brought their trailer to them. ...........

Thanks!
-Marcus
Hey Marcus - looks like you are getting plenty of that airstream karma....

Will keep my eyes open too for you. Love to say hey we will sell ours - but she is still patiently waiting in line for her big make over.

The 99 execella is now down to her frame and the Overlander is playing host as the parts garage while we actually build our new RV garage. Our LadyBug is receiving the preforential treament now while we wait to build the new house....

Good luck in your search and I will send extra special karma for you to find the 61 - it is a great year....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
The 99 execella is now down to her frame and the Overlander is playing host as the parts garage
Sharon... you are a genius! I was stupid enough to use my real garage to store the interior of my Ambassador. Now I have the perfect excuse to buy a second trailer.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Sharon... you are a genius! I was stupid enough to use my real garage to store the interior of my Ambassador. Now I have the perfect excuse to buy a second trailer.
Yes... yes. I can see this right now already-- my wife will have no choice but to agree to a second Airstream in the driveway!

(Now, where do the cars go? I already have a ski boat that takes up the whole garage...)

Sharon-- thanks for the extra karma. I don't expect you to sell me yours, but I AM very much looking forward to watching your restoration of it when you're ready to begin that project.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Cracking a Partial Code...

Alright, I have an Airstream VIN that I'm trying to crack. I'm not sure if it's a partial or if it's complete, seems it might have changed around '66 or so. It is being referred to as a 1966 22' trailer, but I've seen pictures and I think otherwise.

Here is the VIN that I've been given:

263T130

I'm looking for experts to correct me if I'm wrong, but based on other VINs I've seen discussed here on the forums, I believe that VIN would indicate that this is the 130th unit in the production run of a model that had twin beds, from model year 1963, and a 26-foot trailer.

I'm not sure if, in that model year, there were digits that indicated trim level and production plant?

So, what do you experts think? Am I looking at a 1963 Overlander serial number?

Oh, here's the first pic I saw that made me question the current designation of a 22' 1966 model. I'm certainly no Airstream expert, but it looks like an Overlander to me, and the taillights and window glass don't look like a 1966 to me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	59897  
Old 05-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:

So, what do you experts think? Am I looking at a 1963 Overlander serial number?
I would say you have cracked the code
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #32
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Mid 60's and earlier trailers plant of origin was not indicated by a letter in the VIN, but by the format of the VIN. In your case the difference is shown here:
63Overlander
It shows that the VIN is from an Ohio built 63 and since there is no I prefix, it is standard trim, not International trim.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Sharon and Richard, I might not be an expert, but with help from all of you kind folks here at the Airforums, I can at least pass for someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

...or something...

So, with the code cracked, I now plan to find out more about this 1966 22' unit that looks suspiciously like a 1963 Overlander.

Too bad about the lack of International trim though, I really like those "I" rigs.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you can just add 12 volt and change the wood to dark oak, add a few new emblems and call it an international. Looks like the furnace has been removed and plated. I would not be surprised if someone does not tell you your axles are shot... someone always seems to throw that out there. It does look low.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
you can just add 12 volt and change the wood to dark oak, add a few new emblems and call it an international. Looks like the furnace has been removed and plated. I would not be surprised if someone does not tell you your axles are shot... someone always seems to throw that out there. It does look low.
Heh! I've noticed the same thing about the frequent axle comments. In this case, from looking at them, I'd tend to agree. But of course, as of yet, they are not my axles.

I prefer mahogany to dark oak anyway. When did the Honduran mahogany enter the picture on the Internationals? Maybe THAT'S the year I need to be chasing...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Boy Scout Motto

I'm trying to Be Prepared just in case this one ends up going somewhere. So, I'm hoping somone can tell me the proper wheel size and tire size for a '63 Overlander? I'll post in the proper wheel/tire forum as well, but I thought I'd post here first in case anyone is reading this thread.

Similar models in nearby vintages seem to call for 15" , 6 lug, 5.5" bolt pattern, and zero offset. Is that correct? Since there are 4 wheels and the dry weight is probably somewhere around 4200 - 4500 lbs, what would be the appropriate weight rating for each individual wheel?

And then for tires-- without debating BRANDS , what is the appropriate tire size for the '63 Overlander, and again what weight rating would be appropriate since there are 4 tires?

On Edit: One other question-- what is the likely hitch ball size for the trailer tongue on a '63 Overlander?

Thanks in advance for any help that is thrown my way.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
And then for tires-- without debating BRANDS , what is the appropriate tire size for the '63 Overlander, and again what weight rating would be appropriate since there are 4 tires?

On Edit: One other question-- what is the likely hitch ball size for the trailer tongue on a '63 Overlander?
check uwe's thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ler-11687.html

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
Great idea, thanks David. That was the first resto/reno thread I ever read on this site and it was quite inspiring, I've skimmed it several times since but usually only while fantasizing, so I hadn't thought to actually use it for reference.

It would be a fun coincidence if I actually ended up purchasing the same model and year of the trailer whose owner's thread first inspired me to pursue seriously the purchase of an Airstream.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #39
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus,

I think the offset is 1.5".. mine was. The rest of the specs sound right.

I could be wrong, but the mahogany I have seen is not Honduran. The only mahogany I seen in Airstreams is Philippine, like luan or marranti. That is not really a mahogany. When the time comes, I will help you with veneer sources. African mahogany is my personal choice if you want that classic look.

Glad to know I am not the only one to be inspired by Uwe and his 63.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
2" is standard for the vintage units.... forgot that part... now go get it.