Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsdlightnin View Post
He was originally asking $3500.00, but after our phone call to go see it, he raised the price on Ebay to $3950.00.
There is a saying... "one man's trash is another man's treasure"
Here in the Midwest, when it comes to old stuff, you can often find folks...usually sitting on some rural farm/junk yard that look at their trash as your treasure. My guess is, that as the guy got inquiries he began to think he was sitting on a pot of gold. These are usually the guys that think a little "spit and polish" will bring a trailer from basket case to museum quality. Funny thing is... they are never willing to put in that "little time and effort" to do it themselves. They just want to overcharge you for the privilege.

Offer him $800 and bring him down from the clouds.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #222
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
I just did a quick google search for Trailer buff...

I didn't find an actual website, but someone should encourage them to start one. Not only would they get more information on their services out there, but they'd be more available for the rest of us figuring out our trailers; one rivet at a time.

Good luck Utee!
Well, some guys do the type of work that sells it's self. A web site is not needed, for they have more than enough work to keep busy.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #223
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsdlightnin View Post
Hi,

I have not been a member, just a "looky-loo", as I am now officially "looking" to maybe purchase the perfect trailer for me.
The '61 Overlander was listed on Ebay yesterday (now expired)...not in "Ebay Motors", but in "Antiques". Anybody looking for an Airstream RV would never find it there... It is in Sauk Centre Minnesota at a farm near a barn. I have the farmers phone number. He was originally asking $3500.00, but after our phone call to go see it, he raised the price on Ebay to $3950.00. We didn't think that was very minnesota nice! It was hard not to purchase the first convenient one I found, but I followed the advice I found here and was able to walk away. It needs EVERYTHING. 4 Panels have holes. Repaired with duct tape. Electrical HAS worked, as HAS Propane. Stove Has worked, and so on...Windows are good. Bearings haven't been packed in 3 years at least. It is otherwise a total gut job. The floor is soft in the whole front all along the edges. The rivets outside front bottom have all been replaced and tarnished and didn't look right. It is wet inside with water on the floor. I am a novice, and not a do it yourselfer, couldn't handle the extent of the damage here. On the other hand, it was California Coral colors for appliances, all woodwork was painted white, he had all original specs and paperwork about the mechanics, the pink table was still there...and I am still looking.
Let me know if you would like his phone number. He is vaguely optimistic about the condition of this trailer, I was not.
Welcome to the message board, I'm honored that your first post was to my thread.

Actually, due to my extensive network of vintage Airstream spies (most of whom chime in on this thread from time to time) I DID manage to find that listing on Ebay. Rob Baker of theVAP fame alerted me to it pretty much as soon as it went up. For me, the distance was pretty far, but if the body was straight and the frame was okay, then I'm not sure that the asing price of $3500/$3950 was so bad. I wasn't thrilled about all of that painted wood, but as RoverOwner already pointed out, quite often you're going to end up replacing most if not all of that stuff anyway. Heck, maybe the paint has protected the wood underneath it for all of these years and once you strip it, the wood might look great. Who knows?

Anyway, good luck on your search. From my own search over the past few months, it seems like units come up for sale pretty often in your neck of the woods (and by that, I mean anything North of Kansas! ). Lots of decent trailers end up for sale in Ohio and Indiana and Michigan, from what I've seen.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #224
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
Marcus,
The most important thing to me when I was looking for a vintage unit was a straight body. It was a bonus that the interior on the one I found was intact, but the interior was so nasty I'm going to have Frank re-do much of it. The floor on any trailer you find is most likely going to have to be replaced, or at least repaired, so the interior is going to come out anyway. I was going to try and reuse everything, but when the floor is done, it just doesn't seem right to put fixtures back in that have a little punky wood here, a break there, nasty mouse pee infused wood there (and there and there and there...). I say wait until you find one with straight skin, then jump on it. An intact interior just means that you will have a nice set of templates to use when you put the interior back in.
Thanks John, I think that's pretty much the approach that I've decided upon.

Frank, it's certainly okay to highjack this thread, I'm nobody's thread police. The fellowship on this message board is what makes it so unique, and sticking to the topic so strictly doesn't really lend itself to a sense of community.

The Fidy Ate is still in play, and I really do like it quite a bit. I've figured out from looking at photos of Ken J's what those two plexi windows were originally supposed to look like, and now I'm wondering if I'd ever be able to find replacements.]? I suppose something could be fabricated, but I don't think it would ever look quite right. But, it would still look a lot better than the plexi...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Yes I am very impressed... sorry to highjack Marcus
You know, if only there were someone to hand-build trailers in the Baltimore area-- I bet that type of person could do some great work and make a lot of money...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #226
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
You know, if only there were someone to hand-build trailers in the Baltimore area-- I bet that type of person could do some great work and make a lot of money...
Get in line, Marcus. I'm Customer #1.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #227
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
Get in line, Marcus. I'm Customer #1.
I am working towards it guy, Thank you for the vote of confidence.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #228
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
just 2 more feet!

maybe we all can stretch it!....and it's so close!

eBay Motors: 1960 Airstream Tradewind 24ft.-- true vintage- original (item 280243204988 end time Jul-12-08 18:25:56 PDT)
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #229
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
....and one more....

eBay Motors: 62 Airstream Overlander no reserve (item 250267533219 end time Jul-13-08 16:52:52 PDT)
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #230
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a while.

Rick, thanks for the updates. That TW looks to be in nice original condition, and I really like the dinette. The added benefit is that Kerrville is less than a 2-hour drive from Austin.

Frank and I have had a long and ongoing discussion outside the Forums on that '62 Overlander in Tennessee. There are definitely some causes for alarm, but I recognize that no vintage trailer is going to be perfect.

Aside from the skin tears (and the associated water damage that is likely lurking behind them despite the seller's message to me that none was detected), the taillights are assymetric and look odd because I don't see any evidence of moving and patching them. Perhaps not a big deal, but odd at the very least.

Thanks for your continued help!

-Marcus
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The Tradewind does look like a nice one...the Overlander, not so much. Besides the skin tears, the lights are really strange ~ something is definitely not being disclosed IMO.

It might be worth a two hour drive to check out the T'wind...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #232
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Wow, I haven't seen this thread in a while.

Rick, thanks for the updates. That TW looks to be in nice original condition, and I really like the dinette. The added benefit is that Kerrville is less than a 2-hour drive from Austin.

-Marcus
Marcus, this thread is going to keep popping up until you change your Profile from "Currently Looking" to "'61 Overlander"! (or something close)

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rick, I look forward to that day with great enthusiasm!

As Rob Baker often tells me, I am an Airstream-wannabe. Someday soon, I hope to be elevated to the lofty level of Airstream-newbie.

Thanks again for your help and interest!

-Marcus
Old 07-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
The Tradewind does look like a nice one...the Overlander, not so much. Besides the skin tears, the lights are really strange ~ something is definitely not being disclosed IMO.

It might be worth a two hour drive to check out the T'wind...

Shari
Shari,

Kerrville is in the Texas Hill Country that begins just west of Austin. It's a beautiful drive. We could eat breakfast at the German bakery in Fredericksburg, and then truck over to Kerrvile to check it out. We could be back home in time for lunch and still hit the lake.

Might make for a lovely Saturday.

-Marcus
Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #235
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
A newbie?

I also tell him he'll become an Airstream "Rookie" for the first year he has it. Get the one you want!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I also tell him he'll become an Airstream "Rookie" for the first year he has it. Get the one you want!

Rob
Rob, I think you're being very generous if you tell me I'll only be a rookie for the "first year." I suspect I have many years of rookie-dom ahead of me, but I welcome the label as I welcome the challenge.

I'm working on the "getting the one I want" and I guarantee that all of you very kind and helpful people will be the first to know. I really hope to have a great (but uneventful) recovery story to call into the VAP with in the very near future.

-Marcus
Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #237
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Folks, I must admit that I've been tempted by this '55 Cruiser on Ebay.

eBay Motors: 1955 Airstream Cruiser (item 280243416399 end time Jul-13-08 12:22:14 PDT)

It's close, only a couple hundred miles away, and it's a cool old trailer. After speaking to my Council of Vintage Airstream Experts, I'm getting mixed reviews. Some think that it's a good deal even if you paid the full BIN price of $6500. Others think there are too many question marks and too much work to be done to spend that much on it.

And of course, I have my own concerns, because I really do like tandem-axles trailers, and this one is single-axle. And I also like the idea of a full bath with tub, instead of just the wet bath. I don't take baths, and I doubt my wife would ever take a bath on a camping trip, but I can't help but think it would be nice for bathing kids (I currently have a 9-month-old and we will likely try for one more).

Still, this is a cool old trailer. It has 13-panels. I really dig that.

But it's not exactly what I've been looking for, and I don't know if my attraction isn't partly just because it's close, and this Search seems to have been dragging on a bit lately...

-Marcus
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If you feel real sporty you could always convert it over to tandem torsion axle
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
If you feel real sporty you could always convert it over to tandem torsion axle
Sounds great, Kip. You're coming down to Austin WHEN???

-Marcus
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
utee94 said "We could eat breakfast at the German bakery in Fredericksburg, and then truck over to Kerrvile to check it out. We could be back home in time for lunch and still hit the lake."

utee94 - While hitting the lake sounds wonderful, I suggest you delay your departure from Kerrville long enough to enjoy the lunch buffet at the Inn of the Hills. Absolutely worth the modest cost. Plus - the walls are covered in Swiss-made wall clocks & huge cattle bells.