Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hmmm...I keep checking in here hoping to read "I GOT ONE!!!"

Not yet, huh? No worries, it's looking for you too ~ hopefully before 1000 posts!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Hmmm...I keep checking in here hoping to read "I GOT ONE!!!"

Not yet, huh? No worries, it's looking for you too ~ hopefully before 1000 posts!

Shari
Thanks Shari, I keep hoping to get to post those three words, and soon!Yes, definitely before 1K posts, although as garrulous as I tend to be, ya never know.

I've speculated that I'm the only "Rivet Master" who has no Airstream. While that might not be true, I would be pretty surprised if I'm not the only "Rivet Master" who has NEVER owned an Airstream...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #183
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Sold for $8100. Not to me.

I know there are some people in the world who can drop 8 grrr on a trailer that's 1,000 miles away without ever having seen it, but I don't happen to be one of them. My wife is wonderful and supportive, but I don't think she'd approve of me spending my newborn's entire college fund on something I've never seen. Too bad though, I really liked that one.

Still waiting to hear back on the title for the '58 in Colorado.

I've traded messages on the '62 in Fort Worth-- it has been painted a cream color for some reason. Other than that, it actually looks pretty good, it's close in proximity, and the price is right. But I'm not sure how I'd strip off all that cream-colored paint in my driveway...?
I agree that the price of the one on ebay was getting on the high side. It looked like it would need axles, and maybe brakes, tires, and wheels (if split rims). Plus the A/C was old & no heat. But the interior looked very original.

I'm sure old paint and paint remover in the storm drain is a potential EPA issue-I would check to make sure. After Katrina, here in South Mississippi, EVERYTHING, was in the storm drains!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #184
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
It looked like it would need axles, and maybe brakes, tires, and wheels (if split rims).
I
What are you an agent for InlandAndy now?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Ha!

I guess that's another benefit to the Fidy Ate--it doesn't have torsion axles, but rather solid axles and leaf springs. Of course, I believe Ken J replaced those with torsion on his '58, so ya never know...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #186
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I guess I've looked at so many pictures of Vintage Airstreams and then read the posts after the pictures that said it needed axles, I've just been conditioned to say that!

I was compairing the axles on the '61 Overlander on ebay to the axles on my '61 Overlander. I replaced the axles on mine 2 years ago and it did make a BIG difference.....and yes, I purchased them from Inland Andy!......hummm, I wonder how Andy would pay an agent?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I guess I've looked at so many pictures of Vintage Airstreams and then read the posts after the pictures that said it needed axles, I've just been conditioned to say that!

I was compairing the axles on the '61 Overlander on ebay to the axles on my '61 Overlander. I replaced the axles on mine 2 years ago and it did make a BIG difference.....and yes, I purchased them from Inland Andy!......hummm, I wonder how Andy would pay an agent?
Looks to me like Andy doesn't NEED to pay an agent...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #188
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Looks to me like Andy doesn't NEED to pay an agent...
Maybe there's Andy agents everywhere, you know, like a conspiracy theory. They may always be online, like a moderator. At State Parks, in campgrounds......all them telling vintage Airstream owners they need axles!
I'm going to sit my Airstream.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #189
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Maybe there's Andy agents everywhere, you know, like a conspiracy theory. They may always be online, like a moderator. At State Parks, in campgrounds......all them telling vintage Airstream owners they need axles!
I'm going to sit my Airstream.
Now you're just making me jealous-- you know how much I love the '61 O'landers, and yours is beautiful!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #190
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Ha!

I guess that's another benefit to the Fidy Ate--it doesn't have torsion axles, but rather solid axles and leaf springs. Of course, I believe Ken J replaced those with torsion on his '58, so ya never know...
Wrong...you will know....
Ken did solid axles and leaf springs just like the originals were on his 58. I know because I got them for him from Dexter.
btw. it's not necessarily a benefit to have leaf sprung axles. Although they work fine, the independently suspended torsion axles are a very fine system. Replacement is still pretty cheap, in context to vintage trailering's usual costs.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63 View Post
Wrong...you will know....
Ken did solid axles and leaf springs just like the originals were on his 58. I know because I got them for him from Dexter.
btw. it's not necessarily a benefit to have leaf sprung axles. Although they work fine, the independently suspended torsion axles are a very fine system. Replacement is still pretty cheap, in context to vintage trailering's usual costs.
Thanks Uwe, I knew that Ken replaced the axles but for some reason I thought he had gone to torsion.

I don't know much about the torsions, but I've had about a dozen various trailers with solid axles and leaf springs and always had good experiences with them. But there's a difference between boat trailers and travel trailers, and no doubt the independent suspension can help ease the ride and take care of your TT's innards.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
utee94 - Did I misread some recent posts on your long quest? Colorado & Ft. Worth? I've been checking back here several times a day thinking you'd be announcing you'd found your grail. What'z happening?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If you are still looking ,61 Overlander on Ebay right now,Mn.I think $3500. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #194
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
I can't remember if you have check this one out? The price has been reduced.....may be too far away. It doesn't say if it's an Overlander, but sure does look like one.

The Vintage Airstream Club
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #195
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That does look like a nice one and judging by the length, is an Overlander. 1962 is a good year for Airstream vintage. Good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rick, thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate the help. I contacted the seller on that one a little while back, and received a bunch of photos. The good news is that the interior looks to be in great shape and pretty close to 100% original.

The bad news is on the exterior, one of the more alarming shots is below.

But as always, I really do appreciate the help from you, and from everyone in this fantastic community!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmushStream1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	62803  
Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #197
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That's just a scratch, a minor flesh wound.

If that's the worst of it, that's just a panel replacement but could be popped back out with a minimal amount of damage remaining for now. Airstreams of this era are getting harder and harder to find and if the interior is nearly 100% intact, the rest is cosmetic.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
That's just a scratch, a minor flesh wound.
Heh! I rarely get to let my inner Monty out, so thank you for that. As an electrical engineer I am, of course, well versed in all things geeky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
If that's the worst of it, that's just a panel replacement but could be popped back out with a minimal amount of damage remaining for now. Airstreams of this era are getting harder and harder to find and if the interior is nearly 100% intact, the rest is cosmetic.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Brad
FF
Heheh... well, honestly if I already had one ("He says he's already got one!") then I would be very tempted to pick up another one in this condition if the price were right. But as a first foray into the world of vintage Airstreaming, I think I better go for one a little... ummmmm... straighter?

But the interior really does look pretty nice, so if there's anyone else out there who is really good at panel replacement and wants a nice project, I'd be happy to forward on the details that I have and the contact info.

-Marcus
Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
flesh wound

Marcus, I agree with Flyfshr .... take the plunge ... there are no perfect vintage units out there. My Caravel has two craters in the top panels which will require about 6 panel replacements, and I'm cool with that - if everything else is good - go for it - that's just the cost of admission to the club. Perhaps every quest has an imperfect beginning ... isn't that the fun and adventure of it all .... just don't wake up some morning and regret the one that got away. Just my 2 cents from the class of '72.
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa View Post
Marcus, I agree with Flyfshr .... take the plunge ... there are no perfect vintage units out there. My Caravel has two craters in the top panels which will require about 6 panel replacements, and I'm cool with that - if everything else is good - go for it - that's just the cost of admission to the club. Perhaps every quest has an imperfect beginning ... isn't that the fun and adventure of it all .... just don't wake up some morning and regret the one that got away. Just my 2 cents from the class of '72.
Ha!

I think you guys just want to make sure everybody suffers together!

I agree that all vintage units are going to be imperfect, but some are more imperfect than others.

The Fidy Ate in Colorado is in substantially better exterior condition, decent interior condition aside from the missing gaucho which I planned to convert to a dinette anyway, a similar asking price, and a somewhat closer drive.

And then there's the painted '62 in your backyard over in Cow Town, which I'm still considering driving up to inspect one of these days if it doesn't sell before I get the chance.

There are options, and the denizens of this very message board are the ones who have taught me my mantra:

"There's Always Another One"

-Marcus