Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Help Identifying parts in these Pics????

I took off the back access to look at the mechanicals in the full service compartment. I think there has been some modification by the PO, but can't really tell. For example, there is some white pvc, and I believe that the original drains were black with gray elbows?

Also, some of those copper lines are definitely a reduced diameter. Were they all originally the same diameter, and reductions for drains to prepare for winterizing?

Not sure what the little hole is near the license plate. Any ideas?

Have they added a second gate to the sewage facilities? Has that been changed, do I need to do anything to upgrade this from the original if it hasn't?

Finally there's a clipped romex cable, but it goes straight to the inner skin. There is nothing on the outside to let me know what that line goes to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3546.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	122010   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3547.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	122011  

Name:	CIMG3548.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	122012   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3550.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	122013  

Name:	CIMG3553.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	122014   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3554.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	122015  

Name:	CIMG3556-1.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	122016  
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Nothing new

With the exception of the waste gate near the rear bumper (it could be original but I'm not sure); I'd say that it looks like pretty typical Airstream to me. If the piping has not been frozen you might still be able to use it. If it is damaged, I would replace it with PEX.
I'd have to say the electrical looks pretty much original. We can help to trouble shoot it and make the necessary upgrades.
There is plenty of help here on the forum to take advantage of, all you haved to do is give us a description of the problem(s) you are having and in most cases we can guide you thru to a successful completion.
Your abilitiy to describe the problems along with the photos will be an asset to those of us who will lend a hand.
So dive in.
Do you have a way to connect 120volt AC power to the trailer?
Do you know how to use a multi meter?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
The little hole is a nutsert that Airstream put in for a vent to the top of the battery cover (not very safe or effective)
The black gate valve is an addition, non-Airstream, probably to allow the black tank to store some of the gray water, (can be messy to do it this way).
Not sure about the clipped romex.
Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I took off the back access to look at the mechanicals in the full service compartment. I think there has been some modification by the PO, but can't really tell. For example, there is some white pvc, and I believe that the original drains were black with gray elbows?

Also, some of those copper lines are definitely a reduced diameter. Were they all originally the same diameter, and reductions for drains to prepare for winterizing?

Not sure what the little hole is near the license plate. Any ideas?

Have they added a second gate to the sewage facilities? Has that been changed, do I need to do anything to upgrade this from the original if it hasn't?

Finally there's a clipped romex cable, but it goes straight to the inner skin. There is nothing on the outside to let me know what that line goes to.
Rob,
The valve you can see through the floor next to the toilet is the original black tank valve. It was made by Thetford & is very expensive (about $50) & a pain in the butt to replace. The seals probably dried out or rolled over & caused a minor drip. It's much easier to add a low cost, readily available "Valterra" valve (about $12) downstream from the original. It'll probably work as it's set up, but I would probably replace the original one "when you can get to it".
That little hole was the original battery vent as others have said. The battery cover with the nipple to connect to this vent is typically long gone on a trailer this old. If you're planning on using a "wet cell" battery, don't just stick a ventilated marine style box in there because the hydrogen produced while charging is a huge fire hazzard in an enclosed area. I typically install AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries in vintage Airstream's because they do not "off gas" during charging & you can locate them virtually anywhere in the trailer.
The copper lines were likely the same diameter originally however frost has a tendancy to expand things. You can probably nurse it along for a while but you should really think about converting to pex.
The "dead ended" romex cable you see near the breaker box is for the optional roof top air conditioner installation. The other end of it is probably located between the ceiling & roof when you remove the center roof vent. Don't worry about this wire being "live" as it only becomes live when it is connected to the breaker box. There may be a description of its location in some of the paperwork you found in the trailer when you bought it.
Good luck,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks. The romex issue was one of my top concerns, and the AC makes complete sense to me now. The copper line busted in about 6 places that I have found so far, so there's no way I feel safe using any of it.

The batter vent makes sense to.

Does the plywood floor look like the original setup? It's dark, but I've poked as far as I can reach and everything seems completely solid, so I don't feel like I need to replace (unless that's a false floor that someone put in, and the original floor is underneath).

The black/gray lines are still somewhat confusing for me. I've read up on the the setup in the forumns, but i guess i need to spend more time at it.

Thanks for the help!
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Rob!

Quote:
You are correct in your supposition that a previous owner has done some modifying in the one-stop-service-compartment. The degree of modification is fairly typical for coaches the age of our Overlanders, and it appears that the modifications were made with minimal damage to critical components.

• Observations on Photo 1:
    • The dome-shaped brass plumbing component in the forward part of your photo is the original water pressure regulator device the screw on the top of the dome is used to adjust the pressure to which the incoming water will be limited.
    • The copper supply plumbing to the toilet appears to be original -- by the time my Overlander came to live with me, it had gray plastic supply lines to the toilet.
    • The two small valves mounted to the floor to the rear of the toiled are low-point drains utilized when winterizing the coach.
  • Observations on Photo 2:
    • The original blackwater dump valve arrangement has definitely been modified.
      • From appearances, my guess is the whomever modified the dump valve plumbing arrangement was utilizing a mid-1970s era coach as a model.
        • To me, the valve that is accessed immediately inside of the one-stop-service compartment appears to be a Thetford -- but that isn't terrible critical as it appears to be "permanently" connected to the actual dump port found in the rear bumper support.
        • To me. the valve that is in the rear bumper support appears to be a Valterra Valve (observation from photo 3) -- this is the valve for which dump hose and connecting part will be needed.
    • The battery is in the original location, but it appears to be missing the original vented containment box.
      • The lack of a containment box is potentially a huge danger particularly with the original Univolt that has the reputation for boiling the electrolyte in short order.
        • It is possible to install a modern, vented marine battery box, but the venting arrangement will require modification as the original Airstream vent (the port that has already been noted by other posters) is not sufficient for proper venting.
        • Converting to AGM or other "gel" technology battery is another way around the venting issue, but makes installation of a new power converter with modern battery management technology a necessity.
        • Relocating the battery is another option and one that I know several owners have pursued. Prior to installing the Solar Array on the roof of my coach, I considered locating the battery in a typical RV battery box on the hitch, but this does create the need to snake a heavy copper supply wire to the rear electrical service area -- a challenge, but possible.
  • Observations on Photo 4:
    • I am not absolutely certain, but I do believe that this is an original balckwater drain elbow that was included with the coach. It wasn't usually permanently installed, but I believe this was likely part of the dump valve modification that resulted in the Valterra valve that is now in the bumper support (photo 3).
    • I am not absolutely certain, but I suspect that the smaller diameter black hose may be a hose kept in the bumper compartment that attaches to the dump-valve cover with hose connector that is/was utilized to drain graywater onto the ground or into a "blue-tote-tank".
  • Observations on Photo 5:
    • Your electrical components appear to be very close to original in configuration.
    • The 12-Volt DC/120-Volt AC switch and monitoring device is almost certainly original -- but it is VERY different from the one in my Overlander making me think that your coach may have been built toward the end of the model year -- or possibly is an Ohio-built unit as mine is a California built model (still is a riddle to me as to whey a coach was built in California and sold new in Michigan just a few miles from the Ohio factory).
    • Switching to a modern power converter will require modification to the "silver box" that is part of the switching mechanism to switch between 12-volt-DC and 120-Volt-AC. The polarity light that is located on this device is often one of the features that is lost as part of the necessary conversion.
      • The original setup on our coaches was typical for only one or two model years.
        • The interior lights are all 12-volt-DC.
        • Motors on the following devices were designed to operate on 18-Volt-DC and each has its own power converter device attached:
          • Ceiling Vent Fans
          • Range Exhaust Vent
          • Furnace Fan
          • Water Pump
            • These are often modified along the line by intermediary owners creating additional puzzles to solve.
  • Observations on Photo 6:
    • The combination of 12-Volt-DC wiring and 120-Volt-AC wiring appears to be totally original with minimal change - - I am not certain why the insulation blanket is present, but the wiring does appear to be totally original.
  • Observations on Photo 7:
    • As others have mentioned, the port near the license plate is the OEM vent for the house battery, but most abandon this port in favor of safer modern approaches to the battery venting problem.

Quote:
Other than the water supply lines going to the toilet were original in my coach and were of three different sizes. Smaller lines acted as a method to drain water through the floor when the low-point drains were opened (my memory isn't very good regarding how many low-point drains are present, but I do know that there are several) -- among the locations where you are likely to find low-point drains are:
  • Below the kitchen sink on both hot and cold lines as well as for the water filter.
  • Below the street-side bunk -- mine has at least five:
    • Two on cold water lines.
    • Two on hot water lines.
    • One for the fresh water tank.
  • In the one-stop-service-compartment -- mine has multiples as follows:
    • Cold water supply to water heater
    • Hot water line coming from water heater
    • In-line with City Water Supply (before city/on-board switch valve)
    • Cold water supply to toilet.
    • Hot and Cold water supplies to vanity faucet
    • Hot and Cold water supplies to tub/shower supply valve.
Quote:
The blackwater dumping arrangement has definitely been modified. I don't see any particular reason to make changes to the arrangement unless it proves to be problematic. Modifying the already modified main dump valve up against the tank could prove dangerous as the fiberglass tank may be a little brittle -- I had to have mine replaced two seasons ago because it was cracking badly in the area of the modifications that were performed by my coach's original owner in 1973.

Quote:
I am not absolutely certain, but there are two suspects that immediately come to mind:
  • My strongest suspicion is that it is the cable that travels to the roof to supply power to the roof-top air conditioner location.
  • My second speculation would be that it may be an abandoned OEM electrical supply source that was abandoned in favor of a more modern solution (I don't really believe that this is a very likely explanation, however, that was the case in my coach which had seen some terrible modifications made by a flipper who owned the coach between myself and the original owner).
Enjoy your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Rob!

Quote:
Does the plywood floor look like the original setup? It's dark, but I've poked as far as I can reach and everything seems completely solid, so I don't feel like I need to replace (unless that's a false floor that someone put in, and the original floor is underneath).
I agree with you. The floor in the one-stop-service-compartment does appear to be original and in very good condition. I would make one suggestion, and that is to form an access panel from aluminum that can be fitted around the dump valve located in the compartment -- the way it stand, you have a fairly easy access point for mice and other vermin.

Quote:
The black/gray lines are still somewhat confusing for me. I've read up on the the setup in the forums, but i guess i need to spend more time at it.
The original Overlander Owners' Manual would help in understanding what is original and how it was designed to function. This is one area where the manual has several good photos and diagrams that can assist in understanding. Reproductions of the manual are available from the Airstream Corporate Store on-line at the following link. This was Airstream's first year for an official owners' manual so it may not seem as complete as you might expect, but it does have quite a bit of useful information within its pages.

Enjoy your Overlander!

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Rob!

A thought occurred to me as I was reading through your thread. One of my favorite upgrades on my Overlander is one that you may find of interest. The thread at this link started me to thinking about the weak tail lights on our coaches and I decided to follow REGGIEMON's lead in this upgrade. The end result is remarkable -- and the upgrade maintains the completely original appearance of the tail lights except when they are operating. It has been three seasons now, and I am just as happy with the upgrade as I was when it was first made (I have had to clean the fixture grounds once since the original conversion, but that is a small price for the huge improvement in rearward visibility).

Enjoy your Overlander!

Kevin
AIR #827

Tags
electrical system, mechanical, plumbing