RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Prairie du Sac , Wisconsin
General Overlander Questions

Just a few questions...

On our bathroom counter near the stool, there is a spray hose like the kind you would have on a kitchen sink. It is at the opposite end of the shower. Does anyone know what this is for??

I have also noticed that there is an Overlander forum for each individual model year except for 58-63, which are clumped together. Is that because so many were made in these years? Just curious.

Thanks all!
Smitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The spray head is to clean the toilet . It should only function when you step on the pedal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Smitten, congratulations once again on your find, it really does appear to be in fantastic shape for the way you found it. Obviously there will be a lot of work to do, but I think you've already got a good head-start.

I'm no expert, but I think the spray faucet is for the toilet.

And I think perhaps the reason the '58-'63 Overlander forums are lumped together is because for these model years they were all very similar.

Of course, the '66-'68 models were all pretty similar too, and they have separate threads, so who knows?

I'm sure someone else who knows more will come along and answer your questions, and good luck on your restoration!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
... Of course, the '66-'68 models were all pretty similar too, and they have separate threads, so who knows? ...
'67 is considered Airstream's pinnacle year. Hence it has its own folder.

Actually, I asked an admin to create it several years ago. I'm sure they would create another model year folder if asked.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Prairie du Sac , Wisconsin
A few more questions...

Does anyone know what this is for? It was placed in such a way that the counter for the stove wasn't able to be lifted all the way, but it does look original.

We also found a few of these and were at odds as to whether they were for curtains or something else. Any clues?

Lastly, have any of you kept your original mattress? Ours is in good shape but is of course musty smelling. I know it is probably best just to replace it, but for some reason it looks like it might be really comfy! I don't know if the closed-up-moth-balls smell would ever leave.

Thanks! (again)
Smitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
The first picture looks like a broom holder. But its hard to tell when you can't see the surroundings. The other thing...where did you find it? Was it in an area where curtains would hang? Most of the 60's trailers had some sort of tab curtains where a little deely bop slid down a track that was attached to the curtains. Most of these attachments can still be purchased to attach to newly made curtains.

And yes we kept our original mattresses. We purchased some mattress covers that are supposed to keep all of the microbes, allergens, etc away from the sleeper. We figured this was a quick inexpensive fix, we wanted to go camping. And the mattresses were in really good shape, not even smelly. We got the covers at Bed, Bath and Beyond I think.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe the second picture is of the track that holds the bi-fold doors that separate the living/galley area from the bedroom and the bedroom form the bathroom. Hold it up there and see if the length is correct.

The first picture looks like it may have held the stove cover up but there was probably another piece of hardware on the flip-up piece.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
A few more questions...

Does anyone know what this is for? It was placed in such a way that the counter for the stove wasn't able to be lifted all the way, but it does look original.

We also found a few of these and were at odds as to whether they were for curtains or something else. Any clues?

Lastly, have any of you kept your original mattress? Ours is in good shape but is of course musty smelling. I know it is probably best just to replace it, but for some reason it looks like it might be really comfy! I don't know if the closed-up-moth-balls smell would ever leave.

Thanks! (again)
The first item looks like it is a retainer to hold the stove counter top cover in the up position. It is different from ours. BTW, do you have a stove vent fan? I did not see one in the picture.

I can't tell what the second item is. Where is it located? Ours does not have a track on the flloor for the folding doors, the only one is on the top.

We replaced our original matresses-they still had the Airstream tag on them. They were made of foam and falling apart. We had some custom made because of the size.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, spray hose