Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Door Rivets

There are buck? rivets around the door frame holding the interior panels. I do not want to remove these as getting this lined up again has to be near impossible. I suspect they trimed it in place like you do with counter top. But if I did how do I reattach the panels. Will I have to find someone to put in the original style rivets. Could I use the nut rivets?
Thanks
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
First, I don't think you would have any problems lining it up, as there are only two pieces involved, the inner skin and the door frame. Much easier than trying to line up two skins panels, a rib, a floor channel, and the belly skin. Plus it's right where you can reach both sides.

I don't think the rivets were trimmed after they were bucked, I think they used the shortest rivets available. On mine, the tails only stick out about 1/16th".

There is a fairly easy alternative to bucking these rivets. You can buy a rivet squeezer, the cheapest ones are about $50. You will still need to buy some rivets and the sets, so I think you might spend $75 total.

If you are really patient and have a helper, you could try hammering them in by hand. In that case you would just need a rivet set ($5), some rivets ($5) and a lump of steel for a bucking bar. This would be 'back riveting', where your helper holds the rivet set against the head, and you tap on the tail with a hammer. Hard work.

I don't think riv-nuts would work, they would interfere with the gasket.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The inside rivets are pop rivets available at any hardware store.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rivet Rivet...

Just to be clear, there are several trade names for "pop" rivets, like Cherry rivets or others.. All can be installed from the front or facing side of panel without use of bucking bar or backing to hapmmer against.

Common theme is that they have stem inside hollow shaft which fits into a riveter (looks long long pair of pliers, often) and a few squeezes of the handles will pull the shaft through the hloow rivet, widen the bottom and break off leaving a flat head with hole in center...

They are offered in aluminum or steel (go for aluminum) and several diameters and lengths. Much of Airstream interior held together with 1/8" dia (or 3mm) and roughly 3/16" length..

They are easy to paint with trm color if you want to match ivory or other color either before or after install...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Appreciate the info on pop rivets.
I think this is an application where you would want to use bucked rivets, because the door gasket lays over the rivet tails. The bulb end of a pop rivet would sit too high for the gasket to lay flat. You could put the pop rivets in with the head under the gasket, but then the bulb end would be sticking out on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	9021  
Old 10-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Thanks Don. Looks like I'll have to take them out as the fridge side floor is a little soft and cann't get at it with that whole panel rolled up by the door.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Thanks Don. Looks like I'll have to take them out as the fridge side floor is a little soft and cann't get at it with that whole panel rolled up by the door.
Same thing I had to do.
I need to order some rivets for my doorframe. Do you want me to send you my leftovers? May be 10 days or two weeks.

I really think you can probably set them with a hammer if you don't want to squeeze them. I'll be bucking mine in, but I have all the tools already.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
I'm facing the same task around the door of our '52 cruiser. I'm not yet understanding buck rivets and how they are installed. Haven't managed to find a place locally that has parts and can show me what what to do. What tools are required? What is a "rivet set"? Is there a good place to order parts/ tools online?
Doug
Old 10-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There are two main ways to set a solid rivet. This is a solid rivet: http://www.tec-n-tec.com/English/Riv...ide/rsaban.htm

Rivets can be 'squeezed' with a special tool that had a rivet 'set' and an anvil mounted in a set of opposing jaws. Here's a rivet squeezer. http://members.cruzio.com/~arlo/SqueezingRivets.html
Obviously, this method only works on the edge of a panel.

Solid rivets are 'bucked' using an impact hammer with a rivet 'set' and a bucking bar. The rivet 'set' is the tool that fits in the impact hammer, and has a concave tip to match the head of the rivet. The set is mounted in the impact hammer, you place it against the head while your helper holds the bucking bar against the tail if the rivet. A quick squeeze of the trigger set the rivet by flattening the tail.
Here is a kit if you want to go whole hog and put together a complete Airstream. You can go cheaper if you buy just what you need.
http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/de...t.asp?PageNo=1
Hope this helps you get started.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Paul

I misread your original post - Don read it correctly. When you said inside door frame, I was reading the inside of your door. Those rivets are pop. The rivets around the door frame itself are buck and yes need to be replaced with buck. Sorry if I mislead you.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Same thing I had to do.
I need to order some rivets for my doorframe. Do you want me to send you my leftovers? May be 10 days or two weeks.

I really think you can probably set them with a hammer if you don't want to squeeze them. I'll be bucking mine in, but I have all the tools already.
It will be at least a month before I start putting it back together, but I think the door is the place to work from rather than to. Thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 09:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
So if I were going to build the overhead storage cabinets out of aluminum one of these squeezers would really help and make a better inside job than the olympics.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Thanks, Don, for the info. and references, especially the link about rivet squeezing. A hand rivet squeezer would work great for the rivets around the door frame, but the squeezers I'm finding on-line are $120 and up. You mentioned cheap ones starting around $50; where did you find these?
Doug
Old 10-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser
Thanks, Don, for the info. and references, especially the link about rivet squeezing. A hand rivet squeezer would work great for the rivets around the door frame, but the squeezers I'm finding on-line are $120 and up. You mentioned cheap ones starting around $50; where did you find these?
Doug
Sorry. I was trying to post a correction but the server was busy. The 'quick look' I made showed yokes at $50, but the handles are about $120. I didn't look hard enough. Sorry for the misinfo.

Take a look on eBay tho, they have a few used ones cheaper.