Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
tphan's Avatar
 
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 951
ts8501- Not sure what you are asking, give Airstream a jingle and talk to a customer rep. @ 1-877-596-6505.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #62
Rivet Master
 
silverleeper's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,499
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
ts8501- Not sure what you are asking, give Airstream a jingle and talk to a customer rep. @ 1-877-596-6505.
This thread has been dealing with duel axle trailers. I'll guess ts8501 wants to know how this all relates to a single axle replacement. Have the specs. changed? A 64 Safari weighs about 3500lbs. How does this compare to the new trailers with a single axle and comparable weight? What axle is Airstream using? If my guess is wrong I would like to know.
__________________
Lee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #63
Rivet Master
 
ts8501's Avatar
 
1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 596
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
This thread has been dealing with duel axle trailers. I'll guess ts8501 wants to know how this all relates to a single axle replacement. Have the specs. changed? A 64 Safari weighs about 3500lbs. How does this compare to the new trailers with a single axle and comparable weight? What axle is Airstream using? If my guess is wrong I would like to know.
Lee:

Your are right on. Interested in knowing how today's single axle trailers match with axle and brakes to an early 60's model single axle..

-Tim
__________________
"I've got aluminum fever, and the only prescription, is more AIRSTREAM!!!"

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #64
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Well.... I do believe the smaller Safari Sport 17 uses a #10 axle... 3500 gvwr. The bigger Sport 22 has a 4500# Gvwr... I bet it has a #11 (downgraded to 4500#'s) as it has 12" brakes per Colonialairstream's website.

The 16' Bambi's have 14" wheels, 3500 gvwr, and 10" brakes (so #10 axle). The 19' Bambi has 15" wheels, 12" brakes, 4500# gvwr, so again, I'm assuming a #11 axle.

I'd like to go under and look... as I also wonder if the 19ft Bambi and 22ft Sport use a #10 axle with larger brakes and hubs.... but I doubt it. I just wonder why the wimpy 4500 rating when they could have just put 5000# axles under there too. Not much carrying capacity, especially with the 19ft Bambi.

The larger 20ft Flying Cloud also uses a #11 axle with the bigger brakes.
That's all their single axle trailers.

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #65
Rivet Master
 
ts8501's Avatar
 
1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 596
Images: 7
Thanks Marc. It appears the closest match to the '64 Safari (22') is the new 20' FC. I have benn planning on bumping mine up to 4500#. 12" brakes also makes sense. This was very helpful and appreciated!
-Tim
__________________
"I've got aluminum fever, and the only prescription, is more AIRSTREAM!!!"

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member
 
BWH-Utah's Avatar
 
1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 114
Images: 3
ts8501 wrote: "It appears the closest match to the '64 Safari (22') is the new 20' FC. I have benn planning on bumping mine up to 4500#. 12" brakes also makes sense."

I have a '65 Safari (22'), Dry Weight 3320 lbs [220 lbs more than the '64 Safari]
My axel looks original and is rated at 5,000 lbs. Not sure what is included in "dry weight" (are empty propane tanks part of dry weight?, does dry weight include the spare tire?)
The
2008 BAMBI 19' INT has a dry weight of 3575 lbs and 4300# Axle.
So my 5,000 lb axle seems high. ts8501 mentioned "bumping mine up to 4500#." what did yours start out at? Is mine not original?
BWH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65SafariAxle.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	77117  
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #67
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWH-Utah View Post
ts8501 wrote: "It appears the closest match to the '64 Safari (22') is the new 20' FC. I have benn planning on bumping mine up to 4500#. 12" brakes also makes sense."

I have a '65 Safari (22'), Dry Weight 3320 lbs [220 lbs more than the '64 Safari]
My axel looks original and is rated at 5,000 lbs. Not sure what is included in "dry weight" (are empty propane tanks part of dry weight?, does dry weight include the spare tire?)
The
2008 BAMBI 19' INT has a dry weight of 3575 lbs and 4300# Axle.
So my 5,000 lb axle seems high. ts8501 mentioned "bumping mine up to 4500#." what did yours start out at? Is mine not original?
BWH

Airstream started the 22 foot trailers out with a 3600 pound axle.

That was changed to 4000 pounds, and then 4500 pounds and then 5000 pounds.

The year makes the difference.

The soft ride is a "must" but, since the torsion axle was new to Airstream, they did not always select the correct ratings.

But, depending on which year 22 foot you have, doesn't mean you necessarily jump to 5000 pounds.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
I think 4500 should be about right.. for my 24ft TW, I was going back and forth between 4500 and 5000... I think I'll stick with a 4500 axle (12" brakes)... but, might even go whole hog and get discs for it as well.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dexter axles for '65 Overlander ?s dreadydreame Axles 12 03-20-2009 08:10 PM
Would you install Dexter axles? Dieselgrin Axles 8 02-01-2009 06:50 AM
Dexter Axles INSTALLED... TN-TUNDRA Axles 17 03-29-2008 09:09 PM
Dexter axles wol Axles 20 05-01-2006 11:07 PM
Dexter Axles librarylady Axles 10 04-19-2006 10:02 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.