Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Desperate and dopey newbie needs Manual

Does anyone out there have a manual for a 26ft '64 Overlander? I know I can get one through Airstream but, with postage to Toronto, Canada, it'll cost me over 50 bucks.

I'd be really, really obliged if someone could copy one for me, at a premium, and ship it to me the cheapest way possible. What with all the other "stuff" my lovely Airstream needs, $50 for a manual is a little much!

Many thanks in advance, from both me and "The Plover",

Meredith
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Have you checked on the Airstream website. They have scanned and loaded a lot of them there which are free to download, then you can print or retain on you computer however you like.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Check with 51cruisette here on the boards she had a bunch at last years rest rally. Good Luck.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks Aviator, but theirs is the site that wants $50. And, thanks, too NicheVintage. Will make an inquiry.
Looks like I may have found someone on eBay.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What do you need to know about your Overlander? There is an awful lot of free info here on the forum.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfscoter View Post
What with all the other "stuff" my lovely Airstream needs, $50 for a manual is a little much!
Welcome to airforum.com, Meredith!

The only way to beat $50 with shipping would be to buy a scanned version on CD. Scanning and printing then mailing certainly wouldn't be less, unless it's coming from your neighbourhood.

And if you have a problem spending $50 for a tool as important as the service manual, just wait till you see what the parts you need will be for your trailer cost.

Good luck, and be sure to show us lots of pictures of your new toy!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
What do I need to know? Well, all kinds of stuff. The trailer has been pretty well restored but I don't know how to make some things work, or even if it's totally safe to turn them on!

Yeah, Aage, I sound like a naive cheapskate, don't I? But the cost of international postage just riles me, being a long-standing eBayer and all. I'd rather spend the money on something more substantial (like a rivet or two).

"The Plover" is in Cape Breton and I have already posted a few photos on this site, somewhere or other. I've had it a year, now, but have only been able to spend a month with it so far...

Anyway, this guy in BC says he'll mail me a manual for $4, so I'm happy now...

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	122178   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream&table.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	122179  

Old 02-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Great pics. FWIW, the manual I was able to get from Airstream is a reprint in a spiral binder. I was expecting the big three ring vinyl binder I have seen in other trailers. That said, it still contained all the information.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
What do I need to know? Well, all kinds of stuff. The trailer has been pretty well restored but I don't know how to make some things work, or even if it's totally safe to turn them on!
Well, don't be shy about asking here, Meredith. We were all new once, and if we hadn't asked, none of us would have found answers for the things we were wondering about any too quickly!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the Owners Manual in the '60s mostly amounted to copies of the manuals from the manufacturers of all the various appliances in the trailer, so you will find some, but likely not all the answers you want. In fact, in the nearly 50 years your TT has been on the planet, a lot in it might have been changed!

Quote:
Yeah, Aage, I sound like a naive cheapskate, don't I? But the cost of international postage just riles me, being a long-standing eBayer and all. I'd rather spend the money on something more substantial (like a rivet or two).
Sorry if I made you think that I meant that, 'cause I didna intend to. My gran was a Scot, so I too am loath to waste money on things. But with the money I've spent on mine in the two years I've owned it, your request did make me break out into a wide grin!

Quote:
"The Plover" is in Cape Breton and I have already posted a few photos on this site, somewhere or other. I've had it a year, now, but have only been able to spend a month with it so far...

Here's a pic:
I love Nova Scotia, it is one of the most beautiful places in the world! Although I'm glad I haven't been there lately, you folks have had Some Winter!

Congrats on getting a good price on your manual, and thanks for the pictures. It's lovely! Do you have any of the interior, too?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Hope to take some interior shots this summer, and thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I'm not a Nova Scotian myself, but my trailer is, and so is the property it sits on... the two go together, and it IS extremely beautiful.
Me, I'm generally stuck in downtown Toronto!
PS No offense taken, Mr. Aage. Lotsa snow in Ottawa?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Downtown T.O.? Wow, that's a bit away from NS, ain't it? Well, we just moved last May from Aurora, so yeah, I know where you are.

In fact, I once worked on Yonge St at Trinity Square. Of course, I think they put up some big shopping centre there a few years ago. Eaton Centre, izzit?

Yes, this is my first winter in Ottawa, and I love the town, but it won't stop snowing. Nothing like the east coast, mind you, but fairly constant, Unlike Aurora!

Must be something to do with all the hot air here, attracts weird weather.

So, do/will you travel much in your trailer, or is it (or you) not yet to that stage?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Nope. Won't be doing any travelling. The Airstream is basically my cottage and retreat (from downtown TO, and places like the Eaton Centre). I bought the property – 2 acres on the ocean with well, septic and electricity – at the same time I bought the trailer (which was being stored nearby).

We ain't goin' nowhere.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Talking

Quote:

Here's a pic:
I've just acquired a 64 Overlander and I would LOVE to have a copy of your manual for something closer to $4 than the $50 for the A/S version.

Did it arrive yet? And would you consider sending me a copy? If so, tell me how much you would want for it.

Thanks!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Landshark, hi. The manual didn't cost me $4.00, the POSTAGE did. Whereas I was looking at 25 bucks or something from the Airstream people. I found this guy in BC on ebay. He often lists these manuals which, aren't, as has been said, really specific, but more of a general guide to 60's Airstreams. He's in BC, I'm in Ontario, which is why the postage was so much cheaper.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Vivian, I should say, too, that the postage would be just as bad going from me to you. I think you'd do better finding an American source. If you're REALLY stuck though, I'll make you a copy!

Meredith
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Aha! Postage. Well, that makes sense. Thanks for your answer, I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the A/S price. Which is fine: I'm just grateful that A/S goes to the trouble of maintaining these ancient manuals and copying them on request!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964 overlander, 26'