Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
1968 24' Tradewind
Alexander , Arkansas
Black water Grey water tanks??????

Any thoughts on black water and grey water tanks??? Black water tank is easy to go back to stock configuration.... what about grey water ..... I can place on between wheels for sink but what would you guys do with the Grey water from shower and bathroom sink??? Hate to put in in the back... Since black water could be back there also.
Thanks for any comments.
Endl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
My trailer frame and under-floor plumbing were done at Colin Hyde's shop. He used the grey tank from VTS. You can see pictures of the installation starting at post 185 of this thread.

My trailer had a heater at the forward end of the galley with a vent above. I repurposed the vent to be the grey tank vent. As you can see in the pictures, the tanks are close to the axles for good weight distribution and are separated by a full bay. There is a PVC pipe coming out of each one, joined by a flexible Fernco
coupling.

There is one drawback with this method -- it drains very slowly. If you're in a rush, you can't empty the tanks in less than 15 minutes.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Options

I installed a single VTS tank (shallow type that fits between floor and belly pan) in my 55 Flying Cloud but found it inadequate. Very difficult to fill and empty depending on how level the trailer was. On my Overlander I opted for a custom deeper tank with a sloping bottom. I expect this will be a big improvement. Real world test next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray tank flange.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	291718  
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
I put in a 17 gallon gray tank above grade for the kitchen sink on the street side (under the bed). I ran the bathroom sink and shower (curb side) into a new 25 gallon black water tank where the original black water tank was located in the rear of my Tradewind. We only shower in the trailer when other options are not available and do not use the bathroom sink much. Extended the frame down a couple of inches to brace the larger black water tank. Routed the drains out the street side just below the new gray tank.
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
1980 31' International
1962 19' Globetrotter
Naples , N. Idaho
used black water tank

We have a used black water tank we have removed from our 1962 GT. It was under an elevated level the toilet sat on in the rear curved streetside corner. Is that something you could use?
Yarlj
yarlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Black water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarlj View Post
We have a used black water tank we have removed from our 1962 GT. It was under an elevated level the toilet sat on in the rear curved streetside corner. Is that something you could use?
Yarlj
I may be interested in the black water tank. Can you send a picture? I need a tank for a 63 Flying cloud, may be the same. Also what state do you live in?
Thanks Terry
Flyingcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The stock blackwater tank in our 66 Tradewind is about 15-20 gallons. We installed a Curve porta potty and plugged the top of the black water tank thus turning it into a gray water tank. We only pea in the porta potty which makes it very easy to empty. It works like a cassette toilet. We remove the tank using the rear hatch. This works quite well for us. It accommodates gray water from the kitchen sink, the shower and the bathroom sink. Details are in my thread- Dan's 66 Tradewind improvements.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
1968 24' Tradewind
Alexander , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarlj View Post
Yarlj
would love to see a picture of it and dimensions. that might work on the streetside back corner for me.
Endl is offline   Reply With Quote