Lucy is nearing the final leg of her journey to being back on the road...finally. It seems like I got a little distracted, a) BASH IV which was a blast and b) the 1953
Liner I just had to buy LOL.
Anyhow, the double insulation is done, the new hatches made, the "airliner" bathroom restored and painted a really cool 3 pearl metallic color, the upholestry and drapes are finished...just waiting to be picked up next week, wiring (including surround sound
, interior skins are in, new heat pump on the roof, whew!
Below are some photos of the various things:
1. When I was cleaning up the trim that goes around the windows I found this pencil written "airstream" on a side of the trim that isn't visible. I've found something similar on my Caravanner and on my Liner...I guess the factory guys really liked to write that word on their creations.
2. Found factory original banana wraps to replace the badly damaged ones that were on the trailer.
3. I'm not installing a furnace (the heat pump is enough) so that residual space under the sink that is impossible to get to can now be easily gotten to by a new custom sized hatch. Frank found a metal company that was able to replicate the hatch door design almost exactly as the original. So we had one that was missing and this new one made. If you need one PM me and I'll let you know how to obtain one.
4. The "airliner" bath has a plastic bench/tub/shower configuration. The bench hids the toilet. The toilet is further disguised by a plastic trim ring that transitions the bench to the inside of the bowl. The original is made of a very fragile plastic (photo left after we attempted to make repairs to it). We discovered that the ring is not exactly round but is more egg shaped which made duplicating it a little difficult. But, however, we found a plastics craftsman close to Frank's shop in Baltimore who has a 3D CAD cutting machine. He was able to accurately scan the original and then reproduce it in polyethylene..which can be painted and is virtually indestructible. This item can be obtained through Frank as well should anyone need one.
5. Lucy will be a comfortable trailer with two well sealed layers of reflectix. The fiberglass end caps have the reflectix spray glued to the back side of them.
6. I chose automotive paints for the exterior metal bits, hitch, rims and bumper. Mostly to match my TV, but also for durability. Since it is a three coat process and the resulting finish is very hard it will last for many years. It is also easier to keep clean, a little car wax is best for maintaining this finish. After a great deal of consideration, urethane vs. automotive I choose the automotive finish to recoat the fiberglass, plastic and metal details inside the trailer. For the "airliner" bath assembly the finish is shown in the photo. It too just needs to be waxed occasionally to keep it nice and clean.
7. We ordered the zolatone paint Thursday, seen in the photo with the gaucho fabric (photo top) and the curtain fabric (photo bottom). Should begin the painting as soon as the paint arrives!
8. It still amazes me how easily the interior skins went back into place. Hands down they are perfectly in their original position. I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't do what I've seen others do on this forum...that is take the trailer apart and then try to "correct" the factory "flaws. If I had done that I'd still be trying to put this trailer back together. She may be a little out of level and have one oddly shaped window...but heck no one but I and Frank will ever be able to tell.
Enjoy more to come soon.
Oh, btw if there is any interest I have a short video of the toilet ring being made which I can post.