Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #861
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
All I can say Marcus, is that I am completely TRAILERLESS.

I am flying into San Antonio the evening of the 4th, and will fly home the 19th. Would love to get up to Austin after stopping by TX Vintage Trailers one day during that time.

Steve
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #862
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The Boys Of Summer

Went back down to Padre Island National Seashore over the past weekend and had a great time, this time my buddy with a '72 Winnebago came along. Here are some pics:

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #863
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Very nice Marcus. Looks like everyone is having a great time. Say, where's the awning?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #864
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
*sigh*

Turns out the new rope-and-pole awning was no match for the constant 25+ mph wind coming in off the ocean. The roll-out on my buddy's Winnebago had no problems at all in the wind.

SO...

Since beach camping is going to be a large part of my usage, it looks like I'm going to need a roll-out awning after all. It'll be a Zip Dee when I do it, but that's just not in the budget right now, so I'll make do with what I have for now.

I'm 0-2 in beach awnings, suffice to say the wife is significantly less than impressed right now...
Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #865
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
So sorry to stir the pot. I was just wondering since that looked like a perfect setting for an awning and since beach camping usually requires you to bring your own shade. Zip Dee is the only way to go, IMHO or otherwise.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #866
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
At least this time I had a buddy with an awning. When we needed shade, it had plenty. I meant to pack one of my 10x10 EZ Ups but forgot to do so. Next time, I'll take TWO.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #867
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Man, you picked one HOT weekend to be down here. (For you non-natives, the humidity is such that the recorded temp at the airport should have an average 12F added to it: 94F feels like 106F [Heat Index]. 108F is the danger point).

The breeze is everything . . did you walk back behind the dunes, and, if so, how many seconds did you stay there, ha!

Bob Thompson, CC A/S aficionado and globally-known windsurf sail repair/build can make you a hitch receiver "shade" that will stand up to over 50 mph winds.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #868
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
So, Marcus, how goes camping? Has the budget been revised to include an awning purchase? I saw a brief mention of a frame, is that this one, or somebody else's?
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #869
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Camping is going great, for the past 3 weeks I've been working on a blog post which includes some of the Airstream tailgating in Austin and Dallas, as well as our New Year's camping trip to Bastrop State Park. I just still haven't managed to get all the photos in one place, after both my desktop and my wife's laptop crashed in November at the same time. That post should be ready to go soon.

The budget is improving, but still not ready to write the check for a new ZipDee. But the vintage awning works great anywhere that's not the beach or a parking lot.

Hope all is well with you and yours, thanks for checking in.

-Marcus
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #870
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Happy Memorial Day

Just got back from a weekend of beach camping down at Padre Island National Seashore again, here are some more pics:

Mary loves the pelicans.

Had a great time, and already looking forward to our next trip down there, maybe in October.

-Marcus
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #871
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Looks like a great time for everybody, Marcus! I'd sure like to get down there someday.

Good to see a post in your thread.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #872
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Kissimmee , Florida
Thanks for the kind words and advice to my thread back in December. I love your airstream... Its so motivating to look at your family vacation pictures.
I C BLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #873
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Can't believe it's been so long since I've posted to this thread (or my blog). For anyone who's interested, we've just been continuing to do our thing, plenty of camping and tailgating with Catarina over the past 6 months, obviously I desperately need to update with some pics.

The highlights have included participation in "White Trash Bash" which was an RV weekend spent camping on the grounds of our friends' lake house on Lake LBJ back on the 4th of July, tailgating for numerous Texas football games, another year taking the Airstream to TX-OU weekend in their RV lots, and this year's New Year's camping trip which was at Buescher State Park. We'd originally planned it for Bastrop State Park like last year, but sadly it was about 90% burned in the terrible Central Texas wildfires we experienced late last summer.

Anyway, the REAL reason for my post here, is a poll of opinions from all of my great friends here at the Airforums. You see, Catarina has a bit of a birthday coming up. In fact, it's a pretty big one, it's the big 5-0. My baby is turning 50 next year and I want to do something special to celebrate it.

So my plan is twofold-- first, I intend to complete the front half renovation. I've been putting it off, for a few reasons, not the least of which is I am terrified of how much time I know it's going to take me , but also because the flexibility of having the open front end has been extremely useful for my small family. To date, our youngest (2 year old Dylan) hasn't been big enough to sleep in the midship twins, so we've been setting up his pack n play in the front end, and our 4-yo daughter McKenzie has been sleeping on an air mattress up front, while my lovely bride and I use Superbed at midships. The open front end has also been nice at tailgate parties to have the front end empty, to be used as a SRO kind of lounge. And finally, it's simply taken this long just to build back up the savings to the point where I can resume the renovation-- I know you all understand.

Anyway, by 2013, the kids will both be big enough to sleep in the twins, and my lovely bride has also finally put her foot down-- she wants the front dinette. So it's time to begin planning and implementing the front half renovation.

But the part where I need your help is, what to do to celebrate Catarina's 50th? It could be a special trip, or a party in the driveway, or anything really. I just want to do something to note the amazing longevity of these trailers, and maybe rub it in the faces of my friends with SOBs just a little bit.

So, any ideas?

Hope all is well with you and yours in the New Year.

-Marcus
Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #874
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Marcus - I turned 50 a couple of months ago and found that friends coming by the house sharing a beer followed up with a camping trip with more beer made a great celebration for me.

I think I'll do the same thing in a few years when my Overlander hits the big 5-0.

We both enjoyed being out on a campground. Kim & The Boyz tolerated the cold

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0867X.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	149199   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0865X.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	149200  

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #875
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Maybe I can be the first to treat my girl to a proper 50th. This is is her year...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #876
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
50? Mere children. (trailerwise)
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #877
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Maybe I can be the first to treat my girl to a proper 50th. This is is her year...
Absolutely! You need to do something special for that special girl who is 50 years young this year.

When are you going to get around to redoing Anna's front half? Do we need to have a contest and reveal them at a rally somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Marcus - I turned 50 a couple of months ago and found that friends coming by the house sharing a beer followed up with a camping trip with more beer made a great celebration for me.

I think I'll do the same thing in a few years when my Overlander hits the big 5-0.

We both enjoyed being out on a campground. Kim & The Boyz tolerated the cold

Tom
Yes indeed Tom, you and I do both enjoy our beer. And Catarina really seems to enjoy coming along with me to destinations where I get to enjoy beer, she does it all the time!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #878
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
question on Superbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
So I developed the idea of using two long cleats down the side of each twin bed, to support a plywood platform, where a couple of bolster cushions could be moved in to cover the center of the bed, and make the entire thing into Superbed. This is actually quite similar to the design of many dinettes, I simply applied it to the twins. The main problem with the cleats, for me, was an aesthetic one. I loved the clean lines of the curved beds. But, the cleats were necessary, so I bought a nice piece of solid mahogany, and ripped it down into a couple of 3/4" thick cleats that run the length of each bed.

Just a bit more trim work, installation of the curtains, and she will be done. For the time being, anyway...
Marcus, thanks very much for publishing your design for Superbed! I'm thinking it could work well for us, too.

I do have one question, though: where do you keep the wood plank when it's not in use?

Thanks,
Aage
Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #879
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Glad you like the design! I sure hope I gave my wife credit for the idea somewhere back there, I'm just the grunt who put it to pencil and paper (and mahogany) as it were.

I actually use two 1/2" thick pieces of plywood stacked to make a 1" thick platform, and one goes under each twin mattress when not in use. You can't even feel them under the thick foam when you're using the twins as couches.

I've always intended to finish the plywood platform pieces nicely and edge-band them or something, but it hasn't happened so far. At this point, it probably never will, but ya never know!

If you have any other questions please let me know, I've borrowed so many great ideas from others that I'm always delighted when someone finds something of mine to be useful.

-Marcus
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #880
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Glad you like the design! I sure hope I gave my wife credit for the idea somewhere back there, I'm just the grunt who put it to pencil and paper (and mahogany) as it were.

I actually use two 1/2" thick pieces of plywood stacked to make a 1" thick platform, and one goes under each twin mattress when not in use. You can't even feel them under the thick foam when you're using the twins as couches.

I've always intended to finish the plywood platform pieces nicely and edge-band them or something, but it hasn't happened so far. At this point, it probably never will, but ya never know!

If you have any other questions please let me know, I've borrowed so many great ideas from others that I'm always delighted when someone finds something of mine to be useful.

-Marcus
Ooooh, that is brilliantly simple! So, the ˝" sheets just sit in there one on top of the other, then store under the mattresses! Wow, elegant!

Thanks again, Marcus. I will put up photos of mine when I do it.

First project this spring is to replace the furnace. The new one has been sitting around all winter, and my wife wants that done first. Aye-aye, Cap'n!

Thanks again!

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander