Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #761
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
So, at some point we actually get to use our trailers? Lookin' good, Marcus. Pretty good game too.

What beer is it?

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #762
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Finally got some payoff for my work over the past 9 months...
Awesome! Congrats, Marcus. You look good with a kid strapped to ya! I used to have to work with Bethy strapped on me. That's the only way she would sleep. Good to see another Airstreamer starting em young. :-)

JP

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #763
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
So, at some point we actually get to use our trailers? Lookin' good, Marcus. Pretty good game too.

What beer is it?

cheers,
steve
Thanks Steve! The beer is a local one from the Live Oak Brewery, it's their version of an Oktoberfest, lovingly called "Oaktoberfest." We are lucky enough to have the Live Oak Brewery as a sponsor for our charitable tailgate party, and the really great news is that I love their beer!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #764
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
Awesome! Congrats, Marcus. You look good with a kid strapped to ya! I used to have to work with Bethy strapped on me. That's the only way she would sleep. Good to see another Airstreamer starting em young. :-)

JP
Thanks JP. We just took it out again this past weekend for another tailgate party and it went great as expected. We have one more home game tailgate party next weekend, and then I'll be taking Catarina on the road up to Dallas for the annual Texas-OU game, held each year at the Cotton Bowl right in the middle of the State Fair of Texas. We have RV parking that is actually ON the state fairgrounds, so that should be really interesting!

How's progress on the Pickle coming along? Hope all is well with you and yours.

-Marcus
Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #765
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just got back from another tailgate party. My friend Greg has a 1972 Winnebago that we set up next to my Overlander, here's a couple pictures of our setup.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #766
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Now that's kewl! A Vintage Airstream and a Vintage Winnebago. Greg did a great job on that Winnie. Got any more pictures of that rascal?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #767
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Now that's kewl! A Vintage Airstream and a Vintage Winnebago. Greg did a great job on that Winnie. Got any more pictures of that rascal?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Actually, Greg hasn't done any restoration work at all on it, it's in absolutely incredible original shape. It's a real time capsule inside, with orange carpet and orange laminate countertops, harvest gold appliances, and everything. The previous owner did some mechanical work on the engine and other automobile systems, but the interior and RV systems are in completely unmolested shape. It's very cool.

He has a blog of his own with some more pictures, you can find it here:

The Dvorak's 1972 Winnebago Indian

-Marcus
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #768
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Love it!

I love it Marcus... especially the flags and that awesome flag pole holder.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #769
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Rob, I get a lot of comments on the flag pole holder. Everyone loves it!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #770
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I don't know if I could come up with 5 flags to fly!

:-D

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #771
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sure, you could: 3 US and 2 US Navy - no prob!

Kay, AKA Navy Mom
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #772
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
I don't know if I could come up with 5 flags to fly!

:-D
I'm considering getting one of Rob Baker's 7-pole-holders to hold all of them. For Texas football tailgate parties, I typically fly:

1) USA flag
2) State of Texas
3) University of Texas
4) Gonzales flag (from the Texas Revolution, it says "Come and Take It")
5) Beer mug flag

But when we're out camping, I fly a Texas A&M University flag as well, since my wife is an Aggie (yes, we are a mixed marriage )

I have a few others that I'd like to fly, too, so I might need more capacity. More is always better, right?

-Marcus
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #773
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just don't think you can fly enough flags. Some people snort coke, some buy shoes, some buy flags. I have a whole shelf full and am always looking for more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	89434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	89439

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	89437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	89435

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	89432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	89433

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	89436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	89438
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #774
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
But when we're out camping, I fly a Texas A&M University flag as well, since my wife is an Aggie (yes, we are a mixed marriage )
Marcus, I knew there was something I liked about you and Mrs. Marcus, other than the fact you ended up with our trailer.
About ten years ago, I had the Texas Clipper II in my charge for her trip when she came to Tampa for a refit.

How does the little one seem to like camping? Any opinions yet, or still just eat, sleep, umm, eat, sleep...?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #775
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Hey Marcus, how did you resolve the 1.25" pipe issue? I was at home depot this evening and saw they have 1.25" pvc, but no 1.5 ABS anywhere I asked, even our old time rv shop here locally said he hasn't seen it in years. I did read a little that some areas have allowed gluing of abs and pvc pipe, as long as you use the correct joining glue (which I guess is green). Did you find a different solution?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #776
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Hey Marcus, how did you resolve the 1.25" pipe issue? I was at home depot this evening and saw they have 1.25" pvc, but no 1.5 ABS anywhere I asked, even our old time rv shop here locally said he hasn't seen it in years. I did read a little that some areas have allowed gluing of abs and pvc pipe, as long as you use the correct joining glue (which I guess is green). Did you find a different solution?
Hi Scott,

Sure enough, as I believe Terry and others pointed out, it was 1.25" pipe. ABS isn't the home-building code around here, so it's only available at RV shops, and the selection seems to be pretty minimal.

1.25" PVC was easier to find, at my local box stores, so that's what I used. I guess PVC is supposed to be less flexible or something, so that's why it isn't recommended for mobile applications? I don't know for sure, and it doesn't really matter because I didn't really have any choice. I used the universal cement that can join either one, or one to the other, but it doesn't set up as fast as normal PVC glue so you need to hold on tightly for 30 seconds or so to prevent the pipe from backing out of the joint.

So I salvaged as much of the original ABS as possible, and then supplemented with 1.25" PVC. It seems to be holding up well so far, though admittedly I only have a few hundred miles on it. Terry had already made a few mods to the gray water piping and he used PVC for that, too (he might have encountered the same issues with ABS availability that I did), and those sections held up just fine, too, and they had at least several thousand miles on them, so I'm not too worried about it.

If you come up with any other solutions, let us know, but this one should be okay I think.

-Marcus
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #777
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marcus, I knew there was something I liked about you and Mrs. Marcus, other than the fact you ended up with our trailer.
About ten years ago, I had the Texas Clipper II in my charge for her trip when she came to Tampa for a refit.

How does the little one seem to like camping? Any opinions yet, or still just eat, sleep, umm, eat, sleep...?
Hi Terry, just saw this. My youngest does great in the Airstream, he sleeps so well with the A/C blower on that we went and bought a white noise machine and now he sleeps great at home, too!

And his older sister LOVES staying in the Airstream. It's no longer in the driveway and is finally in storage (which delights my wife but makes me sad ), but when it was in the driveway she'd often ask to sleep in it overnight just for the heck of it.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

-Marcus
Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #778
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I have a friend named Tom who is a bit of a Curious Fellow. He and I had traded thoughts and academic discussion on the power requirements of RV air conditioners and the power supply capabilities of various generators, so when I finally decided on the generator I wanted, Tom was interested in the real-world application of the technology.

I decided to buy an inverter-style generator because they are very quiet, and I know several people who have been quite satisfied with the reliability and performance over the years of both the Honda and Yamaha models. Based on the power requirements of my A/C unit, the Carrier AirV low-profile 15K BTU w/ heat strips, I felt that a 2000W unit wouldn't provide quite enough power. Yamaha makes a 2400W unit that just barely covered the max-load current draw for the Carrier AirV, so I eliminated that as an option as well. A that point, it seemed that the two most viable options would be a 3KW unit (which were quite heavy and bulky), or to tie two 2K units together in parallel (which would cost more than a single 3K unit). I was worried that my wife wouldn't be able to handle a single 3K unit if I were unavailable to help for any reason, but I wanted to avoid spending the extra $$$ that two 2K units would require, as well as finding the additional storage space while in transit.

But then my buddy Steve (aka ByamCaravanner) pointed out to me that Honda had just come out with a new 3K unit, the Handi3000. It weighs close to half of its big brother, and has convenient wheels and a large folding handle for easy transport. Drawbacks include its smaller fuel tank, and it is also a bit louder than the larger version. Still, the advantages seemed well worth it to me, so that is what I purchased.

Part of our discussion centered on the current and voltage requirements for a standard RV A/C unit, and how well a generator could supply that. Since the AirV requires approximately 14.1A at max capacity (including both compressor and blower current draw), and the Honda genset can supply 21.7A at rated capacity, I felt comfortable that the A/C unit was receiving adequate current during steady state operation.

But the words of caution from various members at the AirForums resonated strongly with me, concerning the potential damage to the compressor if operated in low voltage conditions. Though these units are designed to operate at nominal 110-120VAC, the words of warning from those "in the know" was that anything under about 107VAC could be very severely hazardous to the health of the compressor. I take these warnings seriously, because these A/C units are much too expensive to risk by operating outside acceptable parameters.

So, armed with my trusty Fluke Multimeter, I set out to determine whether or not I might be destroying my compressor and costing myself major bucks.

Voltage at the generator 20A outlet output (the 30A was obviously in use, driving the Airstream power mains). The load for this test was a couple of lights and a TV turned on inside.

Next, inside, with no load at all:

Now, with the A/C blower and heat strips on:

And finally, with the A/C blower and compressor on, and several lights, as I would normally use it:

So I see a voltage drop of only 2.2V from the no-load to max-AC-load state, which makes me feel pretty confident that I am not risking any damage to the compressor.

Next, I'm going to perform the same tests while hooked up to my 15A house breaker through 50' of power cable to see what kind of voltage drops I see in the system. Since the A/C should draw a max of 14.1A, it should be okay to run in steady-state from the house power without installing a dedicated 30A circuit for it, but the initial startup does require considerably more current, so it's likely that the current and voltage will fluctuate quite a bit before the system reaches its steady state.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #779
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Marcus, I did have the same availability issue with the 1.25" ABS, that's why there is PVC in select locations. Since many of my repairs were of the "3 trip to the hardware store for plumbing parts" variety, I got the PVC rather than try to find and order ABS. If it hasn't leaked or cracked by now, it probably won't leak or crack for quite a while.

There is an item you should probably have plugged in somewhere in your trailer, and that is an analog volt meter. They usually cost about $15, and simply plug into an available outlet and display voltage on a gauge.
AC Voltage Meter - Item - Camping World

You can leave it plugged in, and monitor voltage, both on the generator and campground.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #780
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Nice win for Texas!

Marcus, are you going to take Catarina out to Pasadena for the New Year?
Norm

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander