Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #721
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Watco oil on Mahogany is awesome, just so long as you toss the applicator rag in water when you're done. (sorry didn't want to hear about any silver bonfires).

Also the lamp is uber cool!
Truck is hitting on an important point. When using oil finish, do not put the rag in the trash. It can build an internal heat that will ignite. I lay the rags out on the ground for a day or two so the finish can dry out. During the winter months, I just throw them right into the wood stove. Teak oil made by Watco can really ignite easily.

The lamp does look totally awesome. I have been told you could strip them and polish them up, now I need to.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #722
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Marcus,

I like the name Catarina. Very fitting for the wonderfull restoration job you are doing with Goliath, uh Catarina. Job well done!.

Marie
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #723
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Marie, I'm glad you like the name. I hope you and Terry are doing well, and I hope you feel I'm doing at least a respectable job of renovating the trailer that you and Terry put so much work into.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #724
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marcus, to steal one idea could be considered plagiarism, to steal many is called research. I think it might be less "lumpy" if you put the bolsters on the outside, so there's only one seam in the middle, where you and Mary will probably be.
Thanks Terry, that is a good idea. I hadn't thought of it, but my folks had, and it is now the plan. I just thought the pictures would show better with the bolsters in the middle.

My Dad also suggested flipping the mattresses and bolsters over when Superbed is deployed, because the piping is only on the top side. That way I can save a little wear and tear on the piping, and also avoid feeling it through the sheets (though it's actually pretty soft).

-Marcus
Old 08-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #725
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Thanks JP, I'd love to see yours in person as well. My wife and I love the Florida panhandle, might be a good place to put together a Forums rally and meet up. It's sort-of somewhere between us.
Maybe the Can Opener in January? That would be fun!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #726
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
Maybe the Can Opener in January? That would be fun!

JP
That might work. It's not a bad time of year at all to be along that part of the coast.

-Marcus
Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #727
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Wow, Marcus. Everything looks wonderful. I love the superbed, the upholstery, the ceiling fixture, the mahogony, everything!

I also vote for Can Opener. I can't wait to see your Airstream in person.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #728
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Wow, Marcus. Everything looks wonderful. I love the superbed, the upholstery, the ceiling fixture, the mahogony, everything!

I also vote for Can Opener. I can't wait to see your Airstream in person.

Oh, do you think Elvis will be ready by then? That could be a great place for his premier appearance!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #729
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Oh, do you think Elvis will be ready by then? That could be a great place for his premier appearance!
Probably not, but that's OK. It would only be right that Catarina should have the spotlight all to herself.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #730
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Sure it will be! (just don't specify a year, Dacia!)

:-D

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #731
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Some Front End Work

Well, I had originally planned to camp in Catarina all through this past Summer, and then take her back offline through the Winter of 2009/2010, in order to give the same treatment to the front half.

As I'm sure most have noticed, Summer 2009 is just about gone, and I have yet to go on a full-fledged self-contained camping trip. You know, like, with beds and running water and stuff.

SO... I've decided to postopone the front half renovation for a year. But, I did want to do something about the floor, as some of the vinyl tiles were starting to peel up and separate.

I prepped the floor by cleaning it, pulling up loose and separating tiles, scuffing the surface of any still-shiny tiles with an electric sander, and skim-coating with Ardex in a few places where it needed it. Then I began laying the new vinyl plank floor, designed to look like oak in a medium-dark stain. The product is made by Novalis and carried at the big blue box, and I really liked that it had "grain" embossed into it and had a fairly realistic wood look to it. It is similar to the TrafficMaster Allure product carried at the big orange box, but is designed to adhere directly to the floor, and is a bit cheaper, too. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, since I know I will be tearing the whole thing up in a couple of years anyway.

Enough exposition, here are some pictures of the finished product:

-Marcus
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #732
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Marcus, your work looks fantastic! I have a question though. It looks like when you walk down between the beds to get to the bathroom, those drawer handles look like they are just waiting to take a bite out of your ankles. The way the stick out and appear to have square edges. Is this an optical allusion?

NUTZ
Old 09-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #733
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Nutz.

The handles are all curved. They curve downward, which you can easily see above, but they also curve from the outside-in. Not a square angle on them, except where they meet the drawer fronts of course.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #734
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marcus, the new floor looks very much like the old floor, only better. I was recovering from major surgery when I put the flooring in, and it wasn't as smooth a job as I would have liked. Looks like you got all the lumps and bumps out from under it, which is a big improvement.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #735
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Terry, the old floor served well, no doubt about it.

I was able to remove some of the lumps and bumps, and some of them are just "smoothed over" due to the plank nature of the flooring. The new flooring is also fairly thick which helps to hide some of the unevenness as well, but as you know, the subfloor up front has some "issues" and won't be perfect until it is replaced. But I'd say that it deserves quite a bit of respect for lasting as long as it has.

These Airstreams might have their design and manufacturing flaws, but they're still constructed extremely well. I am more impressed every day with how solid they are. In my rebuilding efforts, I can only hope to duplicate the good design that went into this unit 46 years ago.

Thanks again for all of your help and for following along, I hope you and Marie are enjoying what you see.

-Marcus
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #736
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks Terry, the old floor served well, no doubt about it.

I was able to remove some of the lumps and bumps, and some of them are just "smoothed over" due to the plank nature of the flooring. The new flooring is also fairly thick which helps to hide some of the unevenness as well, but as you know, the subfloor up front has some "issues" and won't be perfect until it is replaced. But I'd say that it deserves quite a bit of respect for lasting as long as it has.

These Airstreams might have their design and manufacturing flaws, but they're still constructed extremely well. I am more impressed every day with how solid they are. In my rebuilding efforts, I can only hope to duplicate the good design that went into this unit 46 years ago.

Thanks again for all of your help and for following along, I hope you and Marie are enjoying what you see.

-Marcus
One thing that is sadly lacking in the kitchen is counter space. Originally there was a stove cover that folded out to make a counter to the right of the stove, but it was in bad shape, and was missing parts. You could probably use a piece of 3/8" plywood, some Formica, and two piano hinges to make something that looks like it might have been there.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #737
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
One thing that is sadly lacking in the kitchen is counter space. Originally there was a stove cover that folded out to make a counter to the right of the stove, but it was in bad shape, and was missing parts. You could probably use a piece of 3/8" plywood, some Formica, and two piano hinges to make something that looks like it might have been there.
I've definitely been considering that. I think I'm going to end up completely rebuilding that galley cabinet (in another couple of years, after ENJOYING the coach for a bit ) because there's quite a bit of rot around the furnace opening.

I'll redesign some of it, including possibly adding in a narrow pull-out pantry under the countertop for canned and boxed goods. At that time, I'll also likely attempt to reproduce the flip-over stove cover you're talking about, in order to gain back some counter space. The cutting board that Marie put in there works great to create additional counter space over the sink, and I'll probably make another one to cover the second bowl when not in use.

I'm also excited about the cabinet space I'm going to gain back when the furnace is removed. I think I'm going to build a sliding holder of some kind, custom fit to hold my RV toolbox and maintenance items.

BUT... all of that is sometime in the future. I want to have some fun first!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #738
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
BUT... all of that is sometime in the future. I want to have some fun first!
You've earned it! A couple of years of mulling over further improvements will clarify what to do and it will be well thought it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #739
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
counterspace

Quote:
Speaking of a flip up counter.....here's one someone is selling on Ebay. It's even located in Texas (Arlington).

VINTAGE AIRSTREAM PARTS:eBay Motors (item 180403908240 end time Sep-08-09 15:05:53 PDT)

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #740
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Speaking of a flip up counter.....here's one someone is selling on Ebay. It's even located in Texas (Arlington).

VINTAGE AIRSTREAM PARTS:eBay Motors (item 180403908240 end time Sep-08-09 15:05:53 PDT)

Mary
This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

The other reason I pulled off the counter is the new range sat a bit higher than the old one, and the cover no longer fit. Rather than spend days jacking with an already broken part trying to get it to fit, I removed it completely. My intent was to make a flip-up counter with a wedge-shaped brace under it to go on the end of the counter area.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander