Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #701
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Happy Bday of sorts! 1 year, really? I've spent WAY too much time online! I remember when you were in the hunt... better finish up so you can find that '50's trailer... HA!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #702
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Happy Bday of sorts! 1 year, really? I've spent WAY too much time online! I remember when you were in the hunt... better finish up so you can find that '50's trailer... HA!
Marc
Ha! Yes, and then my long-suffering wife really WOULD kill me.

I consider myself lucky to have just one Airstream. Those of you with two or more are blessed with EXTRA specialness.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #703
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch

Everybody has to have a secret weapon. The Allies did in World War II, the Delta Tau Chi fraternity had one in Animal House, in the X-Men comic books the Canadians had one named Wolverine...

...and I have one too.

Mine is the dynamic 1-2 punch of my Seamstress and Custom Upholsterer-- aka my Mom and Dad. I took this picture a couple of months ago, when we were out shopping for fabrics for the twin beds. Since then, my Secret Weapon team has been extremely busy in my sweat shop... err, I mean... the upholstery supply house. You see, I've also had my Mom busy making baby curtains and blankets, too, but that's another blog post.

Just for reference, here's some before pictures of the twin beds as I received them:

The 5" high density foam was in great shape, and very comfortable too. But the mattress covers were dingy and torn, and needed to be replaced.

Since I had created curved beds, first I had to cut the corners of the foam. Then, my mom cut and sewed all of the fabric. I chose a soft celery color in microfiber, and an edge-welt piping in a grayish-purplish textured twill.

The microfiber is a hard-wearing upholstery fabric, but my Dad found that it gripped the foam really tightly as he slipped it on. So, he came up with the ingenuous idea of covering the foam in plastic to help it slide easier, using inexpensive drop cloths.

And, the cover slipped right on.

My Seamstress also thoughtfully included a zipper on each, so the covers can be removed and washed.

The final product:

They look amazing!

I also ordered my sweat shop... that is, upholstery supplier... to create two small bolsters to be used as back rests on the twin beds. They also have another purpose to be revealed at a later date. For this, I had to buy new foam, and my Dad carefully measured and marked, then cut it with an electric carving knife.

These are pretty much a reverse of the twin bed mattress covers, with the twill on the front and back, and the celery microfiber used for welting and the side-banding. More complete shots to come...

I can not thank my Mom and Dad enough-- you two have really delivered so far beyond my dreams, I love the cushions. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #704
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
You're Gonna Eat Lightning And (Poop) Thunder!

Because Mickey would have wanted it that way!

My folks weren't the only ones working in a sweat shop. During a conversation I had with some of my Airstream buddies, I decided that I'd been taking it too easy, luxuriating in the Airstream's A/C and not getting enough work done. Progress had been slow, and I had deadlines approaching.

So I turned off the A/C, opened up the Airstream, clicked on the Fantastic Fan, and went to work. I felt like Rocky, training in that old-skewl gym in Philly. And, it felt good!

First, I cut some aluminum to trim out the bedroom walls.

Then I called up some Muscle to help me install aluminum panels on the bedroom ceiling. Several months back I had begin stripping the aluminum with the intent to polish, as I did for the bathroom lower panels, but ultimately decided it would be easier just to cover it with fresh new aluminum. So my brother Evan and my friend Greg, two characters seen before in this blog, took some time to come help me hang the aluminum.

I measured and cut, and then had to tape off and cut the openings for the light switch and light fixture:

My wife couldn't help but wonder if we were actually working, or just drinking beer, but she took the picture anyway:

The usual-- drill, cleco, and rivet. Only this time, it was all over our heads.

Yes, it can be pretty blinding in there. here's to you, Evan and Greg-- thanks for the help!

With the ceiling panel finally in, it was time to decide what to do about lighting. I had considered installing some recessed 12V lights along each side of the bedroom, but then I discovered something, or rather, remembered something I once knew a while back. I was thinking about repainting my light fixture, which looked like this when I received the trailer:

I began to sand off the heavy latex house paint that had been painted onto it, and something shiny began to peer through. That's when I remembered these fixtures were made of aluminum. Out came my old Citristrip, but that only got the job half-done. The latex house paint came off, but the original, thin, baked-on enamel coating was holding firm in several places. On Frank's recommendation, I picked up a quart of Aircraft Remover, and within 30 second the tough enamel was melting away. After some MEK to clean the residue, the end result:

In bare metal, I absolutely love this fixture. It looks so "Jetsons!"

so, with the new aluminum ceiling in, and my lighting solution determined, I began putting the furniture back in. As I said, I was working with no A/C, and decided that taking breaks for pictures was not productive. So, here is the way she currently sits:

Full view straight down the main aisle, the lighting fixtures and overhead doors are painted a soft green to complement the celery cushions.

The gray twill bolsters in place, and behind them, the wall is lined with a padded "headboard" of faux ostrich leather.

Above, the original oak cabinets have been refinished in mahogany stain.

The "Jetsons" lighting fixture in place.

Two-tone green lighting fixture above the bed.

You've seen this shot before, now the wardrobe wall is painted out in white marine urethane paint.

The shower wall is also painted in the white marine paint, and the shower mixer has been moved from the side of the vanity, to the wardrobe wall. I have yet to install the tub trim to cover the edge where the tub is riveted to the wall, and to help channel water off the wall and into the tub.

But with the move of the mixer to the wardrobe wall instead of the vanity, now the shower head can be placed at full height to take a standing shower, rather than about half that height on the curved dome, as it previously was.

A shot back toward the front end. Man, that galley and lounge area need a makeover now!

There's still some trim work, and one other major feature on the beds yet to install. More updates coming soon! Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

"Adrian..."
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #705
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Nice, Marcus, really really nice. Jetson's light is way cool.

About the beer, though, Stella is good, Pils Urquell is a really nice one, Widmer's W'09 is about as good as I've had this year, but . . . .Miller?

I'll be doing that overhead skin sometime this winter. You guys wanna come up and help when I do it and escape that Austin heat?

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #706
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Steve. But, I think it's SUMMER when I want to get out of here and come up there, not WINTER!

And the "Champagne of Beers" belonged to my friend Bald Greg. I'll let him take the blame for that one...

-Marcus
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #707
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Nice job Marcus!! Its looking great. One of the forums members sent me a new center light just like that one stripped down, and I agree it looks much better than the white (and coats of latex paint).

Are you going to be adding A/C?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #708
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
It had A/C when I got it, but didn't blow cold. Replacing the A/C was about the first thing I did. Who could ever forget this picture?

-Marcus
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #709
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
They Called The Wind...

And now, I have come to a delicate matter. I have great respect for Terry and Marie, the contributions they have made to this Forum and the Airstream Community in general. Terry put in a lot of work on this trailer, plenty of blood and sweat, and perhaps some tears as well. He named it Goliath, and I understand why he did so. Every time I walk around this Airstream, and think about how long it will take me to polish it, that is the thought that goes through my mind as well.

But one of the things I promised by dear, now 9+ month pregnant bride, before I ever acquired an Airstream, was that we would be able to name the trailer together. I believe I have now made enough material changes to the trailer to avoid the ill will of the capricious RV gods if I change the name. I also will always think of Airstreams as Land Yachts, and to me yachts are feminine and should be named accordingly.

So I have an announcement to make-- the new name of my 1963 Airstream Overlander, shall be....

Catarina

Nope, not Mariah, though that is a variation of my wife's first name. But Catarina is not only a variation of my wife's middle name, but also her mother's name, and our daughter's name. So it is with great respect toward her previous owners, and with great pride, that I welcome Catarina to the Airstream world.

(Hope that wasn't too much pomp, I'm chatty that way... )

-Marcus
Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #710
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Boy, is that looking good. It looks like some of the pictures in the highend coffee table books. You've inspired me to go home tonight and take another look at the ceiling light fixtures. BTW, when it comes time to launch Catarina down the driveway be careful where you hit her with the Champagne bottle.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #711
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Lookin' REALLY good, Marcus! Maybe I'll get to see it in person one day.

JP

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #712
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks JP, I'd love to see yours in person as well. My wife and I love the Florida panhandle, might be a good place to put together a Forums rally and meet up. It's sort-of somewhere between us.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #713
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
Boy, is that looking good. It looks like some of the pictures in the highend coffee table books. You've inspired me to go home tonight and take another look at the ceiling light fixtures. BTW, when it comes time to launch Catarina down the driveway be careful where you hit her with the Champagne bottle.
Thanks for the kind words, I got the majority of my inspiration from others right here on the Forums.

I think I'll just drink the Champagne rather than breaking it. Maybe spill a little on Catarina just so she gets a little taste.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #714
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You named it after a hurry-cane? Oh, . . . .

Mid-Century Modern Lighting
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #715
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
My Airstream Smells of Rich Mahogany

I have many leather-bound books. I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

Ha! I've been dying to use that quote, and now seemed as good a time as any.

What do you do when a functional requirement seems to mess up the clean lines of your design? Well, whatever you do, it looks better in rich mahogany.

When we first got our Airstream, Catarina, a year ago, my wife Mary lamented that we couldn't sleep side by side. The only beds were the twins. Eventually I plan to create a front dinette that converts into a queen-sized bed, but until then, the only beds in the Airstream are the twins. Mary wondered if there were a way to fill the gap between the beds, down the aisle, and make one big bed out of it. When she uttered that thought, the idea of "Superbed" was born, and has been percolating in my brain ever since.

We won't always deploy Superbed, but right now, since our children are still small and in diapers, we won't be blocking the aisle if we do decide to use Superbed. We've also been couped up in the Airstream through several thundershowers on our various camping trips so far, and I can imagine a time when we might want our whole family to be able to snuggle up on Superbed and watch movies whilst waiting out a storm.

So I developed the idea of using two long cleats down the side of each twin bed, to support a plywood platform, where a couple of bolster cushions could be moved in to cover the center of the bed, and make the entire thing into Superbed. This is actually quite similar to the design of many dinettes, I simply applied it to the twins. The main problem with the cleats, for me, was an aesthetic one. I loved the clean lines of the curved beds. But, the cleats were necessary, so I bought a nice piece of solid mahogany, and ripped it down into a couple of 3/4" thick cleats that run the length of each bed.

But before installing them, I had to finish some trim work on the beds. This photo also shows the drawer hardware I used, matching the hardware on the the vanity.

Right below the metal trim, in the photo above, you can see the mahogany cleat. Another shot, showing both twins:

The bedroom as it normally sits:

And now, with Superbed deployed:

See-- I told you those square bolsters had another purpose!

Just a bit more trim work, installation of the curtains, and she will be done. For the time being, anyway...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #716
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
That is very cool. I think I may have to shamelessly steal this idea.

Norm
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #717
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
You need to do a master class for us on vinear work and proper technique for stain and finish!! Amazing work.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #718
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Norm-- You're welcome to it. I've stolen and directly copied so many things, I certainly can't claim to have innovated much of anything!

Scott-- You are way too kind, as I've said before I'm just a desk-job hack who enjoys amateur woodworking. I don't think I really have any secrets. I use basic oil-based stains, usually Minwax brand, and apply them by hand. Rub on with a clean dry cloth, best if it has been washed before so it doesn't leave any lint. Let it sit for a while, and then rub off the excess. If it doesn't go as deep as you'd like, coat a second or third time.

Then for finish coats, on most of the woodwork I've used spar urethane. It's extremely rugged and durable, it's my finish of choice for exterior woodwork and I think it will hold up well in a travel trailer. It gives the wood a very marine/nautical feel, which I like in a Land Yacht. The major drawback is that it has a VERY amber tone to it, so it's best to make a test piece with your proposed stain and finish coat on your wood of choice, to make sure it comes out the color you want. I don't mind the amber in the Airstream, it has a very warm feel. In other applications, even standard oil-based polyurethane is too yellow for me, though it is far less amber than the spar urethane.

For the mahogany, both the ribbon-stripe veneer and the solid wood I used for cleats, I kept it really simple and went with a Danish oil, in "natural" tone. It brings out the deep red in the mahogany but keeps a really low sheen, pretty much a matte finish. It's by far the nicest wood in the coach and doesn't need anything fancy to stand out.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. There are lots of pros and regular woodworkers on this site who know far more about it than I do.

But, I do really enjoy the work, and appreciate the kind words immensely.

-Marcus
Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #719
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Watco oil on Mahogany is awesome, just so long as you toss the applicator rag in water when you're done. (sorry didn't want to hear about any silver bonfires).

Also the lamp is uber cool!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #720
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Marcus, to steal one idea could be considered plagiarism, to steal many is called research. I think it might be less "lumpy" if you put the bolsters on the outside, so there's only one seam in the middle, where you and Mary will probably be.

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander