Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #681
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
I'm really happy with the way the woodworking is turning out

I would imagine that goes double in your wife's estimation of the entire trailer project; IMO, there's nothing like it when she gets behind the whole project with fresh enthusiasm. We're to be selling our house in Corpus Christi (off to Beaumont where at least it rains), and the house needs some paint. Shade is key to everything down here on the Coastal Bend (what works in Florida, or what works in Mexico, works here not at all) only a quite pale one will do. Color is almost irrelevant by comparison. I love seeing her inspiration working with one of the color wheels we've worked with before. I hope that "tailored" look gives some of the same inspiration.

I really love the rounded corners. That's a requirement, now, for me! Only a question of radius!

(On an unrelated note, the thought of a trailer "sitting up" in swampy Beaumont has me thinking of adding a direct connection for exterior electrical that bypasses the trailer system. Possibly same for A/C, switchable. The de-humidifier would have to run continuously I was reminded as I admired the work you're doing.)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #682
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,342
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post


One step ahead of ya, buddy! What are you looking at getting?

Jordan
I've been following your Liner thread. I have no idea what's going to present itself to me but it will need to be a 13 panel and hopefully a whaletail. A friend of mine is gifting me a '68 Overlander but I won't get it until the heat breaks around September.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #683
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I've been following your Liner thread. I have no idea what's going to present itself to me but it will need to be a 13 panel and hopefully a whaletail. A friend of mine is gifting me a '68 Overlander but I won't get it until the heat breaks around September.

Brad
FF
Really? Got any pictures of it? What kind of condition? There is a lot I like about those 66-68 trailers, especially the Internationals that had the mahogany interiors.

Hmmm, maybe that's why mine now has some mahogany on the interior too?

We looked at a 68 Overlander that my wife liked so much we almost bought it on the spot, but the seller was just asking way too much and wouldn't budge, so we had to pass on it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #684
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,342
Images: 40
Nope, no pictures yet. Since it won't be until September, he's using it as storage for the time being. Pictures of a fully stuffed trailer don't interest me and the trailer is currently about an hour and a half north of here. I haven't seen this one in person just yet. Might need to do a road trip soon.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #685
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I'm really happy with the way the woodworking is turning out

I would imagine that goes double in your wife's estimation of the entire trailer project; IMO, there's nothing like it when she gets behind the whole project with fresh enthusiasm. We're to be selling our house in Corpus Christi (off to Beaumont where at least it rains), and the house needs some paint. Shade is key to everything down here on the Coastal Bend (what works in Florida, or what works in Mexico, works here not at all) only a quite pale one will do. Color is almost irrelevant by comparison. I love seeing her inspiration working with one of the color wheels we've worked with before. I hope that "tailored" look gives some of the same inspiration.

I really love the rounded corners. That's a requirement, now, for me! Only a question of radius!

(On an unrelated note, the thought of a trailer "sitting up" in swampy Beaumont has me thinking of adding a direct connection for exterior electrical that bypasses the trailer system. Possibly same for A/C, switchable. The de-humidifier would have to run continuously I was reminded as I admired the work you're doing.)
Thanks for the nice words, Rednax. I hope you're able to find a suitable replacement for your beautiful SS when you get to Beaumont.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #686
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Finishing up work on the vanity right now. It still needed its bottom fold-out door, and the bottom to the upper cabinet. So here is the new lower door, with the original closing hardware.

Man I need to vacuum in there. And here it is with the door open.


This gives me some limited access to plumbing supply lines and drain lines. I can also place some shallow bins down here, with spare plumbing bits and other bathroom-related items.

But I wanted better access, so the shelves that form the bottom of the upper storage cabinet just slide in and rest on tabs all the way around. They can be removed via the finger-holes.


I slotted the one on the left, so it can be pulled in and out, while still allowing room for the drain line.


I also installed the door pulls, but my camera battery died before I could get pictures of that, so you fine folks will just have to wait until next time.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #687
Rivet Master
 
pbearsailor's Avatar
 
1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 864
Lookin' good, as usual, Marcus!

Good thinking on the extra access for your plumbing. Keep the good ideas coming, I continue to file them away for the future on mine.

cheers,
steve
__________________
Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #688
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Thanks Steve. I'm quite certain I ripped this idea off from someone else.

But, I am a bit surprised the factory didn't consider providing this kind of access. My shelves in the galley under the sink will be made similarly, for easy access, as well as the ability to reconfigure based on varying needs.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #689
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Pictures As Promises, And Plumbing Too

Last post I mentioned the vanity door pulls were attached, here's a shot of them on the vanity. They are very simple and modern, I love them.


Here's a shot to show the interior shelves removed, with access all the way to the floor:


I've also been working on the plumbing, and I'm happy to say that, aside from some minor work on hose routing and some assorted tie-downs, the entire trailer is completely plumbed, both fresh water and drains.

Galley sink from below:



And, much like the picture of a person standing on the ground while inside their trailer, I think another classic renovation shot is the first time water is running after a long absence-- in my case, about 8 months:


Here's the vanity from below.



I liked the idea of using the red and blue PEX to indicate hot and cold lines, but didn't want to buy TWO 50'coils just to get two colors, knowing the entire trailer re-plumb would use significantly less than 50'. So, I bought one 50' coil of white PEX, and used some very inexpensive red and blue electrical tape to mark the different colors. I saved myself over $20, and I only have 20 feet of extra PEX lying around, instead of 70 feet or so...

I had to get creative with a loop for the p-trap on the vanity sink, as my drain line from below (which I ran several months ago) was very close to the drain outlet on the sink.

And, of course, with water running:



I spoke a BIT prematurely saying all of the plumbing was "done" as the tub plumbing can't be completed until the wardrobe is in place. Originally, the tub/shower mixer was located on the side of the vanity, but I wanted to be able to place the shower head at the highest point, rather than along the curve of the rear dome, so I moved the plumbing to the wardrobe wall. Once the wardrobe is in place, the faucet/mixer will poke through the tall wardrobe wall, and there will be a low hook for filling the tub, and a high hook for taking a shower.


And, with the running water:



Yes, perhaps most importantly, this works, too:

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #690
Master of Universe
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,116
Marcus, wonderful. I'm a great believed in access to utilities and much annoyed Airstream doesn't provide access in a lot of places. A lot of time it would cost very little for them to have removable panels, but they don't do it. I think you should have bought the red and blue pex since you'll be getting a lot of requests to restore other people's trailers.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #691
Rivet Master
 
truckasaurus's Avatar
 
1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,324
Images: 25
I like the one roll of PEX idea, I think I'll borrow the idea and maybe use red and blue zip ties every few feet. (assuming PEX isn't a museum piece by the time I'm ready for plumbing!). Looking good....
__________________
1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #692
Remember, Safety Third
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,581
Images: 39
I was even cheaper than you, Marcus. I just used a Red "Sharpie" on the hot water side. What can I say? "Cheep, Cheep"!

Not nearly as clean looking as your job, tho. Keep up the great work!

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #693
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Ha! That's a good idea too, Jim. Now I feel like an idiot for spending the $1.47 per roll of electrical tape!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #694
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,342
Images: 40
I was even cheaper and used the cylindrical slotted foam wrap pieces for the hot water run all the way from the water heater. Gotta be able to have a really hot shower now and then.

Good looking stuff Marcus.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #695
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I was even cheaper and used the cylindrical slotted foam wrap pieces for the hot water run all the way from the water heater. Gotta be able to have a really hot shower now and then.

Good looking stuff Marcus.

Brad
FF
Thanks Brad.

I was thinking about using the foam wrap pieces (which of course would render my red electrical tape job a complete waste of time ).

Does that insulation seem to make a large difference? I defer to experts like you, since although I have spent a year renovating this beautiful chunk of metal, I have actually only camped in it (or any RV for that matter) a grand total of three times, and only twice with running water...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #696
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,342
Images: 40
I can tell you that the water coming out of the shower nozzle is very hot, almost to hot. I applied the foam wrap before I used the trailer so I can't compare. I do know that the wrap also helps keep the PEX plumbing lines from vibrating because of the pump. About every 10" or so, I used a cinch tie to keep the wrap on tight. I elected to not used the peel off adhesive in case I needed to take it back off.

Can't say I'm an expert, just someone who got there before you.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #697
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Speaking of a year-long renovation, I am reminded that I have now owned my Airstream for a full year. The anniversary was July 26th.

I can remember that 10-hour drive from Austin to Mobile, Alabama, to pick up the trailer, as if it were yesterday. I realize now I was extremely nervous. I had no experience RVing, and I knew that the trailer needed a floor replacement. I wasn't exactly unsure of my ability to do that, but on that long drive, it hit me just HOW MUCH work I was about to heap on myself. I wondered if I were up to it. I was also unsure how my wife and family would take to my new addiction... err... hobby.

Since then, I have come to understand that my initial estimates for HOW MUCH work I was about to heap upon myself were not close at all. It has turned out to take 3x more work and 3x longer than I imagined.

On the positive side, my estimates of cost weren't too far off. There are a few places where I've encountered hidden costs that I hadn't really thought of ahead of time (fabric and foam are NOT cheap, even the way I shop, which is quite effectively if I do say so myself). Additionally, I've encountered a bit of what we refer to in the computer hardware business as "feature creep" aka "if I'm doing this, I might as well add on..." I've managed to keep it in check for the most part, but a little bit is inevitable.

And on the flip side, there are some items that have cost me less than I had originally planned or budgeted. Not many, but some.

All in all, it has been a great year full of discovery, making new friends both in real life and online, and a ton of learning. I've enjoyed it a great deal, but I am happy to be nearing the end of (the first half of) my renovation project.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling reflection, but when I realized it has been a full year, I felt like some sort of commentary was in order.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #698
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I can tell you that the water coming out of the shower nozzle is very hot, almost to hot. I applied the foam wrap before I used the trailer so I can't compare. I do know that the wrap also helps keep the PEX plumbing lines from vibrating because of the pump. About every 10" or so, I used a cinch tie to keep the wrap on tight. I elected to not used the peel off adhesive in case I needed to take it back off.

Can't say I'm an expert, just someone who got there before you.

Brad
FF
Thanks Brad, I think I'm going to go ahead and try it out. I also like your idea of not using the built-in adhehesive, to make it easier to remove if necessary. A few tie-wraps here and there should keep it secure enough.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #699
3 Rivet Member
 
1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
It is quite a journey. I had to chuckle at flyfshr's reflection. To some extent we're all both beneficiaries of and participants in the old adage: "See one, do one, teach one".
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #700
Rivet Master
 
pbearsailor's Avatar
 
1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Speaking of a year-long renovation, I am reminded that I have now owned my Airstream for a full year. The anniversary was July 26th.

I can remember that 10-hour drive from Austin to Mobile, Alabama, to pick up the trailer, as if it were yesterday. I realize now I was extremely nervous. I had no experience RVing, and I knew that the trailer needed a floor replacement. I wasn't exactly unsure of my ability to do that, but on that long drive, it hit me just HOW MUCH work I was about to heap on myself. I wondered if I were up to it. I was also unsure how my wife and family would take to my new addiction... err... hobby.

Since then, I have come to understand that my initial estimates for HOW MUCH work I was about to heap upon myself were not close at all. It has turned out to take 3x more work and 3x longer than I imagined.

On the positive side, my estimates of cost weren't too far off. There are a few places where I've encountered hidden costs that I hadn't really thought of ahead of time (fabric and foam are NOT cheap, even the way I shop, which is quite effectively if I do say so myself). Additionally, I've encountered a bit of what we refer to in the computer hardware business as "feature creep" aka "if I'm doing this, I might as well add on..." I've managed to keep it in check for the most part, but a little bit is inevitable.

And on the flip side, there are some items that have cost me less than I had originally planned or budgeted. Not many, but some.

All in all, it has been a great year full of discovery, making new friends both in real life and online, and a ton of learning. I've enjoyed it a great deal, but I am happy to be nearing the end of (the first half of) my renovation project.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling reflection, but when I realized it has been a full year, I felt like some sort of commentary was in order.

-Marcus
Nice post, Marcus.

cheers,
steve
__________________
Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Overlander International Double Tamara 1965 - 1969 Overlander 30 03-28-2006 02:55 PM
Thinking of Buying '72 Overlander Joe C 1970 - 1973 Overlander 16 07-20-2005 06:01 AM
2-door Overlander InsideOut 1960 - 1964 Overlander 0 08-30-2002 08:14 AM
Charging AC on 71 overlander smily Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 7 07-25-2002 05:33 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.