Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #601
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am truly impressed. Keep it going Marcus, you are kicking assets now....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #602
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
Thumbs up overlander

marcus, great looking work.
navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #603
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Marcus,

I was admiring the work you've done on the bath in your trailer and trying to figure out how I could fit a larger vanity cabinet like yours in my bath. Then I realized that the bath area in my 59' Overlander must be smaller or at least laid out differently. There is very little room on the toilet side between the back wall and the bedroom area. I measured the distance from the back wall to the bulkhead (between the toilet and the wardrobe) on mine and it is only 27 inches. From the back wall to the bed, the distance is 44 1/2 inches. In my trailer the bath area (behind the curtain if you will) includes a wardrobe on the toilet side. I was just curious if your trailer has a wardrobe between the bed and the toilet and what the overall dimensions of your bath area are.

Norm
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #604
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Norm,

I just looked at RJ Dial's archived pictures of some '59 Overlanders, and I think I see what you are talking about. It looks like at least some models had the toilet area pinched in a bit which put the "throne" into the corner. Is this how yours is set up?

I can't tell if this is a result of the twin beds being offset, or if the curbside wardrobe is just larger than the streetside wardrobe?

Not all 59s are that way, though-- here is a picture of one that appears to be set up similar to mine, though in reverse, with the toilet on the curbside and the tub on the streetside.

On mine, the twins are parallel to each other, and there is a wardrobe on each side, of the same size, which essentially forms a wall in one plane between the bedroom and the bathroom. Here is an early picture of the bathroom when I first picked up the trailer, it's small, but you can see the wardrobe on each side, and a bit of the tub on the curbside, and the toilet sticking out just a tad on the streetside.

I don't have the measurements handy right now, but I can tell you that the ~44 inches is about right, all the way across, for both the SS twin and the CS twin.

Hope that helps?

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #605
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus, the first bathroom you showed is closer to a 1958 bathroom layout. The second is closer to a 1960 layout. How about we see exactly what the Captain looks like.... Hopefully it does not have the "throne" as you put it, on the wrong side like yours.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #606
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Marcus, the first bathroom you showed is closer to a 1958 bathroom layout. The second is closer to a 1960 layout. How about we see exactly what the Captain looks like.... Hopefully it does not have the "throne" as you put it, on the wrong side like yours.

I suspect that, like your 62 and those that preceded it, Norm's throne will be on the curbside. It wasn't until 1963 that Airstream came to its senses and realized the pooper should be on the streetside, so the poop tank valve is not on the same side as your curbside patio.

Not everybody can have a kick-ass 63 though, so you make do with what you have...

-Marcus
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #607
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

Not everybody can have a kick-ass 63 though, so you make do with what you have or just justify what you have even though you know you missed it by one year...

-Marcus

Such true words Marcus, I could not agree more...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #608
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The placement of the throne was different between factories as the CA plant put them on the streetside and the OH plant put them on the curbside. Only after a few years of production did the OH plant realize it was best to have it on the side where it dumps so there is less opportunity for the solids to clog up the works. Plus, as Marcus states, it is better to not have it on the side where you put out your awning, enjoy the out-of-doors and dine.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #609
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh Brad, now you too?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #610
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry, can't help myself. Just like the CA made ones better.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #611
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
uh, my 60 (built in 59), ohio built, had the toilet on the street side - i'm con-fuse-ed?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #612
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Dang, now I am too.

The serial number I have on file for you indicates it is an OH built TradeWind and OH didn't date stamp their ID tags, to my knowledge, so how do you know it was made in '59? What are your clues?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #613
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Sorry, can't help myself. Just like the Ohio made ones better.

Brad
FF
I cannot agree more with you Brad...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #614
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Marcus, Frank, Brad, thanks for the input.

Here is the best pic I have available of the layout in my trailer from front to back (I have some better ones at home, but this gives you the idea).

My bath layout is exactly the same as you see in that first pic in Marcus' post with the throne trully pinched into the corner.

You can see that there is a wardrobe behind the curbside twin. This is where my electrical pannel is located along with some wiring for an old CB radio set up that the Captain had installed through the bulkhead so he could talk with his buddies while laying in bed (the Captain also had a PA system with a speaker on the roof, "move away from the trailer!"). The steetside, however, is sans wardrobe. The beds are parrallel.

In the foreground of my first pic, you can also see that I have a double door wardrobe just aft of the refridgerator. I suspect that pushes the beds back farther, leaving less room for the bath area. If it were not for that double door wardrobe up front, everything could move forward the width of one wardrobe and there would be more room for the throne, a bigger vaniety, and enough room for another wardrobe on the streetside.

I looked up the pics that Marcus referenced and noticed that the 59' on RJ Dial's website is a bunk bed model like mine with a nearly identical layout including what appears to be a double wardrobe up front (the differences being in the galley and it is a single axle trailer).

And yes, my Ohio built trailer dumps to the curb side like Frank's and the one shown above.

I've been pondering the layout quite a bit because the bunk bed feature elimiates all the overhead storage in the bedroom. Storage in our trailer will be an interesting problem. Although it would be nice to have more room for the toilet, the modifications necessary would not buy me any more storage. It would just move half of my double door front wardrobe to the back. Plus, god help me if I start making changes of that magnitude to the layout.

Norm
Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #615
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Dang, now I am too.

The serial number I have on file for you indicates it is an OH built TradeWind and OH didn't date stamp their ID tags, to my knowledge, so how do you know it was made in '59? What are your clues?

Brad
FF
Brad,
Actually I don't know exactly when it was made. I was "made" in 59 so I always say our Tradewind was built at the end of 59 as well, making us the same age. However, since my "Warranty and Registration Certificate" was signed on October 3rd, 1960, it's unlikely that it was even a "Sparkle in Anyone's Eyes" until well into 1960, especially since it's serial number is right in the middle of those attributed to 1960 . . . so thanks for bursting my bubble.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #616
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Marcus, Frank, Brad, thanks for the input.

Here is the best pic I have available of the layout in my trailer from front to back (I have some better ones at home, but this gives you the idea).

Lotsa red Xs, click on one and it says:
The website declined to show this webpage

You forgot to pay your bill!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #617
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I am glad you had/have a few tricks up your sleeve, Marcus, and I especially like the Atomic Turf color and woodwork, together. Maybe for the light fixture sides, one, the other or both?

As to keeping interior aluminum clean, I have been using Metalwax, an aerosol product (commercial) on several items. One can goes a verrrry long way.

metal wax.com
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #618
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Rednax-- there's another forum user who swears by MetalWax for polishing the OUTSIDE of his trailer. Says it's about 10x faster than Nuvite and other polishing systems.

Marc-- I received the red marker light lense, thanks so much for sending it. We're now completely roadworthy.

I promise everyone that I have been diligently working to prep for this weekend, I just haven't had the time to post pictures or details. As noted many times, every single thing takes 3x longer than expected. There's always 5 or 6 details to take care of BEFORE I get to the major task I had intended to accomplish.

For a quick update (sorry no pictures yet) I have mostly completed veneering the wardrobes and I think they look pretty good. I still need to trim the door edges, and apply some corner moldings, but that will wait until next week.

I'm desperately trying to finish the plumbing for this trip, but I've been to two local RV supply houses now, and both are out of the one part that I need (2 pieces of) to complete the gray tank gate valve installation. Without the gray tank, I'm not sure there's much point in getting freshwater running in the trailer, since the gray tank does not have a suitable coupler to go into my blue-boy.

But, I'm doing the best I can. My goal today is to try one more RV supply house for the gray tank fittings, see what I can do about freshwater plumbing, and then install the newly veneered wardrobes, and the original beds (functional but I will build new ones when time permits).

Wish me luck, and maybe this afternoon I'll be able to pop back on with pictures. If not, then it will be Sunday.

-Marcus
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #619
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

I'm desperately trying to finish the plumbing for this trip, but I've been to two local RV supply houses now, and both are out of the one part that I need (2 pieces of) to complete the gray tank gate valve installation. Without the gray tank, I'm not sure there's much point in getting freshwater running in the trailer, since the gray tank does not have a suitable coupler to go into my blue-boy.
-Marcus
Have you checked with Camper Clinic? If the parts you need are the parts I think they are, they should have them in stock.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #620
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
.....For a quick update (sorry no pictures yet) I have mostly completed veneering the wardrobes and I think they look pretty good. I still need to trim the door edges, and apply some corner moldings, but that will wait until next week.......
-Marcus
Can't wait to see how you did that. I have to veneer a wall in the bath.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander