Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #461
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes indeed, just like BBQ-- low and slow!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #462
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
And she's back

Welder is done with the frame, I think it looks great!

The rear-most x-member:

The next one, with gray drain hole cut in it:

The third one, with plumbing hole cut, and with the new gray tank mounted directly next to it:

A shot of all of it:

My welder actually put the gray tank one bay aft of where I had planned. It's okay, the tail of the trailer is still so far back that the gray tank won't rub the ground before the tail drags. And this way, the exit valve will be very close to the exit for the black tank, and I might be able to plumb them together as modern RVs have it.

The tank sits between a x-member and a removable strut, that is bolted onto two tabs, one at either end. This way, I can easily drop the tank should it ever require maintenance, or if I need access to the bottom of the floor for any reason. This was not my idea, I blatantly stole it from Frank, who graciously explained to me how he had done this.

Now it's time to prep and paint the frame with POR15, cut the subfloor pieces (I picked up the plywood yesterday), and then begin the floor installation. So much to do, and I'm hoping to have it all buttoned up and maybe even have the bathroom in and plumbed by the Texas State Vintage Rally at the beginning of February!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #463
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Great Marcus...now time for a grinder, and por-15!

By the way...Turkey hit the smoke 4 hours ago
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #464
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Beautiful-- BBQ turkey is a wonderful thing! My Dad takes care of those duties for Christmas. I'm a lucky man!

Yup, grinder, wire wheel, marine clean, metal ready, and then POR15. And of course cutting the subfloor and prepping it, then installing it. Going to be a very busy next couple of weeks.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #465
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
utee, was the opening for your black tank valve just open for the rest of the belly pan to the fiberglass etc? If so are you going to leave it that way when you finish replumbing? I can imagine just about any critter that wants in could get in the opening in ours, be interesting this weekend to see what I find, same back 8 are coming out for me as well.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #466
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes Scott, the bellypan area around my black tank valve was really messy, it had been opened up, closed, patched, and re-opened many many times. By the time it reached me, it was hanging by a string.

(Quite literally-- a bungee cord had been used to hold up the aluminum sheet metal and wrapped around and clamped to the bumper. The bungee cord had been slowly cut away by the sharp bellypan sheet metal all around it, and all that was left by the time I reached a truck stop in Houston was one single strand of cord. So there I purchased one of those stronger, all-rubber type of bungee cords to get me the remaining way from Houston to Austin)

But back to your question, yes, it was quite open all around the black valve, and any critter who might have wanted to crawl up in there had easy access. I'm not certain on how I plan to resolve this when I patch in the new bellypan metal. I want to get it as close as possible, but the way my new gray tank hangs down below the frame, there's not really going to be any perfect solution to keeping critters out. I suspect I'll have to use other, less savory methods of keeping my trailer critter-free.

-Marcus
Old 12-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #467
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I'm considering making a sheet metal box to cover openings to the pan, cut them somewhat large and use standard plumbing trim rings to make it fit, but won't know if that is practical until I get into it. Very smart setup on the gray tank btw.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #468
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Marcus, on the 66 I used a item from McMaster-Carr for rust removal. It is 4 "dia for the grinder and made of a real coarse "bear hair" for lack of a better word. They are made for paint and rust removal without removing any metal. It is like a really coarse dish washing sponge. Best part about it is that there are no wires to fly off and enter eyeballs or skin.
The turkey hits the hot oil in 30 minutes.

Nutz
Old 12-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #469
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
My welder actually put the gray tank one bay aft of where I had planned. It's okay...
You're way too easy... make him fix it. In my business we could never get away with installing anything "aft" of where it was suppose to be... so tell him to get his "aft in gear" and put it where it was intended.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #470
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh!

If I thought it were a problem I'd have had him redo it. As it is, the waste tank exits will be very close, which is a nice feature. I'd like to tie mine together, as you did on your Ambassador.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #471
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Heh!

If I thought it were a problem I'd have had him redo it. As it is, the waste tank exits will be very close, which is a nice feature. I'd like to tie mine together, as you did on your Ambassador.
I guess you are assuming it's not a problem? My thoughts were to balance out the added weight of the previously non-existent grey tank with the added weight of the new and larger black tank. That is why I placed the grey just forward of the axles...two full tanks hanging on that long lever arm will play havoc with your tongue weight.

BTW, my tanks are five bays apart and they tied together into one double-dump valve just fine.

You can see it here.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #472
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Steve,

The trailer came from the factory proportionally balanced for dry and unloaded weight. I will not alter the black tank in any way, either capacity or location. I have added a gray tank whose center of mass is about 3' behind the aft axle. Full, the tank will weigh something like 240 lbs. If I load ~240 lbs of gear about 3' in front of the fore axle, then the moment created by a full gray tank will be completely countered by the moment created by the gear, with a net zero effect on the torque at the tongue resulting from any addition of a previously nonexistent gray tank.

In fact, if the gray tank had been added in the bay directly adjacent to the axles as I originally planned, then I would have to place the gear 2' further back in the coach in order to counter properly the moment of the gray tank (at full capacity). This is impractical, because that location would place the gear at the narrowest part of the galley and bedrooms, which is not where I generally load gear. I actually load gear into the wide part of the lounge area, which is 5'-7' in front of the fore axle, so the gear still more than compensates for any moment created by the torque from a full-capacity gray tank that sits 3' aft of the aft axle (rather than the originally planned 1' aft of the aft axle). In other words, it is possible and perhaps even likely that this weight configuration for the new gray tank will actually keep the trailer tongue weight CLOSER to the original factory plan than it would have been had the gray tank been placed one bay further fore in the trailer, given the placement I typically use for my gear.

(Please don't force me to bust out a free body diagram on you! )

Finally, I do not plan to travel any great distances with the gray tank full. I am sure there will be occasions when I must, but in general I should be dumping the gray tank as I leave my campsite.

I think the placement of the gray tank is just fine, and I'm delighted with the quality of work the welder did.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #473
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Christmas Present

Most of you know what this means...

Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #474
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I foresee Popeye arms in your future.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #475
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I foresee Popeye arms in your future.

Brad
FF
Thanks to an elf (Brad) that helped Jan pick this one out for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	72930  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #476
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Most of you know what this means...
You will probably need an Airstream to practice on first before you do yours.

BTW - Slow down a little. You are catching up with me too quickly.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #477
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Brad-- What are you talking about? My wife has volunteered to do the polishing! (Seriously!)

Richard-- That's nice. I am a long way away from that, but someday...

Vernon-- Feb 2 is right around the corner my friend! Let's see some updates on your thread!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #478
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
What are you talking about? My wife has volunteered to do the polishing! (Seriously!)

Maybe I was talking to her.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #479
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:

In fact, if the gray tank had been added in the bay directly adjacent to the axles as I originally planned, then I would have to place the gear 2' further back in the coach in order to counter properly the moment of the gray tank (at full capacity). This is impractical, because that location would place the gear at the narrowest part of the galley and bedrooms, which is not where I generally load gear
So what you are saying is... YOU screwed up and not the welder.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #480
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
So what you are saying is... YOU screwed up and not the welder.
I suppose that's one way of looking at it...

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander