Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Got it! Got it! Got it!

I just spoke to Terry and KatKat is very thrilled with her new airstream. Her son, Jacob, and daughter, Rachel, were with her and they were having a ball and playing with the little surprises I left in Goliath for them. I am sooooo happy they are the new owners of Goliath. It makes me smile to think of them spending the night in the coach for the 1st time, and enjoying him as much as we did.

I officially hand over my portion of this thread to KatKat and wish her and her family the very best times and memories. Godspeed and safe drive home tomorrow.

Terry will be on line later to update and let you know all that happened.

Marie
Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #222
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A historic moment. Sounds like she found a good home.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #223
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And then there was one--again

Our new Airstream is now an only child again. Goliath expressed his displeasure at being sold off by rupturing one of his pressurized LP hoses in front of his new family. Our children, both organic and mechanical, can be counted on to act out in front of strangers.
I'm home now, but after a three hour round trip to Bob's this morning, and the 4 hour trip home this evening, I am beat. I'll post a recap in the morning, along with a photo of a relatively new Safari that showed up mere minutes before katkat and crew arrived.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #224
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Hello! I'm home too! WORN OUT! We had a very easy ride home. I'll post pics tomorrow. We have dial up at the house and trying to posts pics is futile. I've got 'em all loaded and ready. I have to say that I didn't know until Friday night how badly Terry had been injured or I would have never asked him to meet me somewhere. Terry was nice enough to go through everything with me which I promptly forgot after he left because I was very excited! I will post a few thoughts on my first day of Airstream ownership:
A. Playing "What does this switch do?" and "Is this really made out of beer cans?"is non-stop fun for eight year Jacob. It's tiring to me after an hour.
B. The privacy curtain btw bedroom and bath is see through?!??!?! (in certain lights). This can be embarrassing when your eight year old son notices this LOUDLY as you're changing clothes. AWKWARD!
C. When traveling, you must make sure ALL items in the trailer are secured because nothing will be where you left it when you stop to check. Unless we have chickcharnees who rearranged everything while we travelled. Was that a factory option or aftermarket?
D. Playing "What does this switch do?" is NON Stop fun for the FIVE year old Rachel who has just seen Goliath for the first time, but is tiring even faster for me.
E. Rachel has decided Goliath looks like a "Big metal Horseshoe crab"? Now when I look at the back of it, it's all I can think. The beer crab on wheels.

F. Airstream are the COOLEST way to travel EVER!

I'm happy and worn out! If I could sleep in it here at the house, I'd be in it right now! Ill post the pics tomorrow!
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #225
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Also, thank to you everyone for the PMs! What a welcome! I hope to be able to continue this thread, but I can't promise it will be as entertaining as Terry made it! I also hope to take very good care of Goliath!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #226
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like Goliath is going to enjoy his new home!

You can refer to Terry as the PO now!

You talked about things that move in the trailer going down the road. Wait untill you forget to latch the refrigerator door. I did it once, stopped to get a cold soda from the trailer and what a mess!

Best of luck with your new trailer!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #227
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The last day of our moving sale was today, everything left will either be sold to used furniture dealers, or donated to local charitable organizations. One of our Airstreaming friends came down to help install the new fridge (okay, he did the install, and I had to watch). While wandering through the new trailer, I found a box of parts, I'll have to sort through them to see if any of them belong to Goliath.

We installed the thin curtain between the bedroom and bathroom to facilitate air flow, Summer in Florida is hot, and the bathroom is a long ways away from the air conditioner. The visibility factor isn't a problem if there are no children in the trailer...
As earlier promised, here is a photo of a late arrival to the campground where Goliath and I waited. They pulled in, hooked up water, sewer, and electric, lowered the stabilizers, and disappeared inside the trailer. I didn't see them again for the balance of my stay. Must have been some of those Airstream snobs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 160.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	37660  
Old 05-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #228
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
For some reason I picture the departure with Goliath kinda similar to the closing scene of the movie 'Shane'. Glad to hear you had a good trip.
Sounds like he has a great new owner.
Big easy 63 is coming along nicely. We got the upholstery done yesterday. I plan to post new pics tomarrow over on my thread. I don't know where you plan to travel, but if you ever make it to Top of Georgia AS Park please let me know. Helen, GA is about 8 miles north of me. I stopped by today and visited. They are great people and have a beautiful park in the mountains. Being a local lawman, they shared their recent stories of their visiting black bear and how he gets into their dumpster. When bigeasy is ready I plan to get my WBCCI digits and pay them a visit. Good luck with the new venture.

Katkat, have fun with Goliath. I'm sure you'll enjoy him. Glad to hear you had a safe trip too. (Beer crab lol)!

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #229
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Thanks bigeasy! We plan on living in Goliath at various campgrounds in NC. Brian is there on business for the next two months, so we're ALL going! Brian hasn't even seen Goliath yet, just pictures! He'll be coming home to get us this weekend! Talk about gettting to know your Airstream IMMEDIATELY! LOL! I'm sure we'll have a MILLION questions!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #230
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Changeover complete.

With this post, I am officially turning this thread (and Goliath) over to katkat and her family. It's tough letting go of something you have put so much time, effort, and blood (now you know what that funny stain is on the wall next to that sharp piece of aluminum) into. I didn't want to sell him, but events overran us, and our choice was limited to selling, or paying storage on a trailer that may wind up being an entire country away, while he slowly moldered into the ground.
I would like to thank all the forums members that have helped us get Goliath to the state he is in now, we couldn't have done it without your help.
I hope y'all have enjoyed this adventure so far, and that you will continue stopping by to see how Goliath and his new family are doing. If in your travels you see a largish, 1960's vintage Airstream Overlander with the big red numbers "1801" on it, say "Hi" to them for us.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #231
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
He's home!

Well, here he is! I hope this worked! I can"t wait for my husband to see him! I've got a week to get it ready to live in for the next two months. Luckily, there's not much to do! I posted the back view because it's what my daughter was looking at when she decided it looked like a horseshoe crab. Maybe if you're five......I am also realizing how BIG Goliath is and that polishing isn't going to be as easy as I thought! Am a little overwhelmed! I guess My arms will be in great shape at the end of the summer. It's the Airstream workout!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goliaths new home.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	37679  
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #232
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat
I am also realizing how BIG Goliath is and that polishing isn't going to be as easy as I thought! Am a little overwhelmed!
Kat, see post #14 in this thread, where I came to the same realization...
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Terry, I tried to imagine myself in you shoes, passing on a silver family member, albeit to a loving new home. If I had to sell my Tradewind tomorrow I would suffer tremendous emotional angst. And I haven't even bonded as deeply as you with Goliath because of the extent of work you have done to get him where he is today. My heart goes out to you. In spite of having to part with Goliath, I pray you have much joy coming down the road with your new silver child.

Katkat, congrats on your complete posession of Goliath. I've got to laugh about your child's observations. Actually, I can understand 5-year old's eyes seeing the horseshoe crab. I can see shades of horseshoe crab in the rounded shape and sloping tail end. Imagine several dozen horseshoe crabs in armature of silver slugging through the sand on the beach. A little Airstream-like army!

Sorry ~ overactive imagination . . . Yeah, I never grew up.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #234
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Sugarfoot. Thanks! I like the image of the silver crabs along the beach!!! I also have a VERY active imagination. It's both a blessing and a curse! I figure the best way to honor Terry and Marie is to take the very best care of Goliath that I can.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #235
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Terry- I DO remember reading that now that you mention it! LOL.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #236
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat
....I am also realizing how BIG Goliath is and that polishing isn't going to be as easy as I thought!
Just approach it as polishing a couple feet at a time, thats what I do.

P.S.- no it doesnt really help that much

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #237
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
I have dubbed mine bigeasy63...well...I'm 2/3 right. She's big and she's a 63, but theres nothing easy to it. I guess if it was too easy it wouldn't be worth it. Luckily Terry and Marie have the beer crab right where you want him. Now you can add that katkat character. I think hubby will be very pleased.

Have fun! We'll keep watching the thread.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #238
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Thanks bigeasy! We'll have to hit that AS campground in Helen together sometime!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Katkat, I love your signature line.

I agree with Gen Disarray on the polishing issue. Having just started the process, I'm finding its a GOOD day if I can get 3 square feet done. And I'm just trying to maintain. Just a bite at a time, and eventually you will have a shiny Goliath.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 AM   #240
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Sugarfoot, that line is ABSOLUTELY true! When Terry went over everything with me, I think it must've gone in one ear and out the other!!! I also got distracted by the litttle gas rupture on one of the tanks. I kept worrying we were going to explode. Our house has gas heat and I am afraid of it. It's one of many irrational fears I have. Exploding from gas, mayonnaise, spiders. (Overactive imagination alert!!!!!!) It's our first AS and I see just how little I know!!! I should've taken notes!!!! A bit at a time, that's what we'll do as far as polishing. I can get the low parts, my husband Brian can do the high ones. (He's 6'4"). He'll be here tomorrrow to check out Goliath! I can't wait! I have also started on Goliath's "kid freindly" makeover. I'll post pics soon!

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander