Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #661
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Yup.. if you have a good basement.

Remember post 488 in my thread?

Talk to me if you are close to Route 2 in Mass and need to borrow anything during the Dec - March time frame. It will be sitting idle otherwise.

Hope the move goes well and say Hi to P for us.
Thanks John, I need to pick your brain as I have only two inlets ( one to each grey tank) and have to figure out how to vent and to tie in kitchen sink drain!

Basement, check.... Going on the must have list!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #662
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
That's a great shop! So nice that you have heat & can work comfortably in the winter. I love your copper in the bath! I was tossing the idea of some kind of copper in the bathroom of my Avion. Did you put something on it to make it change color? Your trailer looks great!
Thanks Becky! I can't believe I didn't include a source for the copper! It comes pre distressed and in lots of awesome patterns! Be aware it will have wrinkles and flaws....nothing pristine here, but it really wasn't that difficult to work with. This is here I got it Colorcopper.com
Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #663
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Thanks John, I need to pick your brain as I have only two inlets ( one to each grey tank) and have to figure out how to vent and to tie in kitchen sink drain!

Basement, check.... Going on the must have list!
Easy... feel free to give me a call.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #664
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
We have TV!

This all happened around Thanksgiving last year. I am woefully behind updating this thread but as I am currently stuck home in the middle of an ice storm, I decided that catching up a little would be a good thing!

I know there are purists out there that turn their noses up at having a television in a vintage rig, but my husband and I LIKE watching movies in the Airstream. We are not content to just play cards or cribbage when the weather won't cooperate, so a TV was on the MUST list. When I built the front cabinet, I even made one bulkhead wall out of 1/2 inch baltic birch (all the other walls are 1/4 inch BB) to provide a more secure, stable mount for the TV.

This is the TV we bought, it is both 12 volt and 110. It's LED and has both computer input and USB input.

This is the the MorRyde TV mount we bought which was frankly overkill. It can hold a TV of up to 25 pounds and the one above only weighs 6.61 pounds! However, it was the only one we found that that had an 24 inch reach and a 320 degree swivel that means we can watch it lying in bed....
from the front recliners....
and it can even swivel around and be pointed out the curbside window if someone needs to keep track of a certain sporting event!
We had a bit of an issue with the MorRyde mount. The unit was obviously heavy duty and well made, and the "snick" it makes when it locks into place is sweet....... but for the life of me I couldn't get it level.

The cabinet was level,

the TV when latched was level
the top of the bracket was level
but the first arm coming out of the bracket was drastically out of level so over the 24 inches the TV was drooping at least 3/4 of an inch. This wasn't super noticeable to the eye, but it definitely bugged me.
I was going to just live with it as I figured it was that was the nature of hanging a heavy item off of a long arm.... then I thought maybe I should just call the company and see what they say. I'm happy to report that my experience with this company was phenomenal. I called them and explained the issue I was having and then sent the above photos to their customer service representative..... who spoke English without an accent, and was in the US! And was super nice and understanding to boot!

He agreed with me that this was not normal, sent me out a new unit very promptly and emailed a free shipping label for me to send this unit back. He sent me emails confirming his actions and offering any additional help. In short, one of the best customer experiences I've ever had! This company stands behind their product 100%.

The new unit was installed and the issue was fixed. No more sag! I'm looking forward to many cozy nights curled up watching movies. The recliners ROCK!

As a side note, we mounted it with bolts instead of the included screws, and used fender washers to spread the load out a little (see the second picture above).

I added this antenna from VTS, it seems to work very well. I'm still on the hunt for one of the vintage antennas but for now we have TV!

And I just have to say this.... GO PATRIOTS!!!!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #665
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You're not alone....When I built the shower wall in my Bambi II, I mounted the TV mount to it before I put the final wall in. I could probably put a 50 lb TV on it! We like to watch movies too....I bought a bunch at the local flea market before we went away this year. Mix a drink, get a snack, pop in the movie....aaahh...love it! (it was dark early & no fires allowed if that excuse helps) Hope your Patriots win...looking a little grim right now!

I like how your mount extends so far....kills two birds with one stone!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #666
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Awesome job sis! My cribbage board looks kind of pathetic now....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #667
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
looks AMAZING!!!!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #668
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
You're not alone....When I built the shower wall in my Bambi II, I mounted the TV mount to it before I put the final wall in. I could probably put a 50 lb TV on it! We like to watch movies too....I bought a bunch at the local flea market before we went away this year. Mix a drink, get a snack, pop in the movie....aaahh...love it! (it was dark early & no fires allowed if that excuse helps) Hope your Patriots win...looking a little grim right now!

I like how your mount extends so far....kills two birds with one stone!
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE GOAT
Old 02-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #669
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
looks AMAZING!!!!!
Maybe but I'm guessing you won't copy this in Wally's trailer! Hey tho, when you get to the point of upholestery, if you trust me , I will donate my labor gratis to restore Wally's trailer to its original.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #670
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thanks Shelly! We are going to be at least a 18 months to get to that point, and my wife loves to sew but she may want help on things! There is a lot in that trailer, lots of windows, 2 gouchos and a love seat.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #671
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Bathroom Cabinet, Check!

Some downtime during an April Fool's Day snowstorm has resulted in another post! Good thing for snowstorms or this blog would never get updated!

Next on the list was the bathroom cabinet. Here's the fame I built out of 1x2 popular and the Kreg jig.
I wasn't super happy with the how blocky it felt. The original plan was to make the front left edge (next to the tub) rounded but unfortunately the tub had a raw fiberglass edge that wouldn't have been covered. Instead I added this detail.
I 'm in love with the rounded toe kick detail, hopefully I can do this on the kitchen cabinet also. All the seams will get covered up when I skin it with 1/4 inch BB.

The top was templated in luan and then cut with a jigsaw out of 1/2 inch plywood.

After much debate I centered the sink on the window and the light and blithely ignored the fact that it wouldn't be centered on the cabinet doors beneath. My husband and I disagreed on this but it's one of the perks of being the builder! I get to decide!
Because I wanted the counter top to appear thicker than it actually was, I ripped 1/2 inch strips off of the same piece of plywood I made the counter top from, and glued them to the front and side edge. Because the corner was rounded I needed to add a little more backing there. Every time I try to make something rounded it ends up adding hours to the plan and execution!!! Pfffffft.
The counter is covered with the same copper I used in the shower area. The copper went on using contact cement, thus LOTS of dowels. It actually is very easy to cut using regular scissors. While the company says you can roll out any creases in my experience this didn't really work very well. It definitely is a material that will show some dings and creases. If you bend it over a sharp edge the patina will crack off so I used an 1/8 inch roundover bit in the router to route the side and front edge. The counter surface is certainly not pristine, but in my mind it has charm and character. After installed, I hit it with a few coats of their Copperlac (lacquer) which dulled it a tiny bit but should improve durability. I did experiment with Minwax laquer but it didn't seem to go on as well as their proprietary product.

After cutting out the opening, wrapping the sides and stapling underneath.
The cabinet was covered with 1/4 inch BB (glued and brad nailed) and all the openings and edges trimmed with a flush cut bit in the router.

Dun dun dun dun duuuuuuuun! Sahhhweet!

And the finished cabinet........well, minus the doors and shelves. And faucet....Sigh

I'm getting really excited at being at the point where running water is in sight! Got the water tank in this past week from Vintage trailer supply. Quickly figured out that it should have been one of those things that went in BEFORE the bed. LOL.

Has anything around here even once gone the way I saw it happening in my head?
(That's rhetorical. Obviously.)

Save
Save
Save
Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #672
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Now I know spring has arrived.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #673
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
I know you know this, but, I didn't.

I didn't rinse the new water tank before it was installed and should have. Many teeny tiny little shreds of plastic went from the tank into the pump and water lines. Ended up clogging the head to the kitchen sink enough that I couldn't get hot water up there. The water pump, faucets and shower had to be taken apart and cleaned.

So, before unwinterizing, we are adding an in-line filter to catch the little buggers.
Before they can get to the pump and beyond.

p.s. The cabinet looks great. I had the same dilemma of lining up with windows or doors in my kitchen. Decided to line up with the doors and honestly should have lined up with the window. But it does work, is comfortable to use and that's what matters.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #674
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Some downtime during an April Fool's Day snowstorm has resulted in another post! Good thing for snowstorms or this blog would never get updated!

Next on the list was the bathroom cabinet. Here's the fame I built out of 1x2 popular and the Kreg jig.
I wasn't super happy with the how blocky it felt. The original plan was to make the front left edge (next to the tub) rounded but unfortunately the tub had a raw fiberglass edge that wouldn't have been covered. Instead I added this detail.
I 'm in love with the rounded toe kick detail, hopefully I can do this on the kitchen cabinet also. All the seams will get covered up when I skin it with 1/4 inch BB.

The top was templated in luan and then cut with a jigsaw out of 1/2 inch plywood.

After much debate I centered the sink on the window and the light and blithely ignored the fact that it wouldn't be centered on the cabinet doors beneath. My husband and I disagreed on this but it's one of the perks of being the builder! I get to decide!
Because I wanted the counter top to appear thicker than it actually was, I ripped 1/2 inch strips off of the same piece of plywood I made the counter top from, and glued them to the front and side edge. Because the corner was rounded I needed to add a little more backing there. Every time I try to make something rounded it ends up adding hours to the plan and execution!!! Pfffffft.
The counter is covered with the same copper I used in the shower area. The copper went on using contact cement, thus LOTS of dowels. It actually is very easy to cut using regular scissors. While the company says you can roll out any creases in my experience this didn't really work very well. It definitely is a material that will show some dings and creases. If you bend it over a sharp edge the patina will crack off so I used an 1/8 inch roundover bit in the router to route the side and front edge. The counter surface is certainly not pristine, but in my mind it has charm and character. After installed, I hit it with a few coats of their Copperlac (lacquer) which dulled it a tiny bit but should improve durability. I did experiment with Minwax laquer but it didn't seem to go on as well as their proprietary product.

After cutting out the opening, wrapping the sides and stapling underneath.
The cabinet was covered with 1/4 inch BB (glued and brad nailed) and all the openings and edges trimmed with a flush cut bit in the router.

Dun dun dun dun duuuuuuuun! Sahhhweet!

And the finished cabinet........well, minus the doors and shelves. And faucet....Sigh

I'm getting really excited at being at the point where running water is in sight! Got the water tank in this past week from Vintage trailer supply. Quickly figured out that it should have been one of those things that went in BEFORE the bed. LOL.

Has anything around here even once gone the way I saw it happening in my head?
(That's rhetorical. Obviously.)

Save
Save
Save
AWESOME work, looks great. I ran into so many of the same dilemmas and issues, it's like deja vu.

Love seeing the updates, keep it up.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #675
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I LOVE your sink & counter top! So creative. Things are moving right along, it looks like! Camping in your summer plans?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #676
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
I know you know this, but, I didn't.

I didn't rinse the new water tank before it was installed and should have. Many teeny tiny little shreds of plastic went from the tank into the pump and water lines. Ended up clogging the head to the kitchen sink enough that I couldn't get hot water up there. The water pump, faucets and shower had to be taken apart and cleaned.

So, before unwinterizing, we are adding an in-line filter to catch the little buggers.
Before they can get to the pump and beyond.

p.s. The cabinet looks great. I had the same dilemma of lining up with windows or doors in my kitchen. Decided to line up with the doors and honestly should have lined up with the window. But it does work, is comfortable to use and that's what matters.

Frigging A! You mean I have to pull that tank back out again!

Thank you sooooo much though, I did not consider this, you obv think I'm smarter than I am lol!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #677
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
AWESOME work, looks great. I ran into so many of the same dilemmas and issues, it's like deja vu.

Love seeing the updates, keep it up.

-Marcus
Hey Marcus! Nice to hear from you, how's your trailer going? The real question is which of us is going to have the longest restoration thread!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #678
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
I LOVE your sink & counter top! So creative. Things are moving right along, it looks like! Camping in your summer plans?
Camping is def in the plans! Especially since we will have water, i.e. hot showers soon! Gosh after like 4 years I will have a working stove AND a hot shower! In Princess Bride terms.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	283619
Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #679
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post