Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #641
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
Where do you find this stuff? The curtains turned out amazing and I love the cable hardware. Nice job...again.
Thanks all! What you mean my ideas? It's all in my mind ...
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #642
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
You are WonderWoman

Shelly, you just amaze me! I am in awe. What a can-do attitude and then you carry it out! I sat and read through your entire blog last night. An interesting write-up accompanied with illustrative photos. I'll be interested to see what you are up to next.

Happy Travels!
Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #643
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
...so I've been busy to get the house ready to go. We've got lots of camping trips planned for this summe,r so I need to get back to work on them!
Great work as usual.

PM me if there is a good opportunity to park our Overlanders together on a real, live campout this summer. We're around most of the summer with the exception of a couple of weeks in the Maritimes with a great Airstream couple we met in Arizona this winter.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #644
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Shelly, your curtains look great! That is something that I really don't like doing & hire it out if I need it done! Great talent to have!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #645
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A 1963 Overlander named Moonraker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
Shelly, your curtains look great! That is something that I really don't like doing & hire it out if I need it done! Great talent to have!!

Agreed. But another thread has me rethinking it. Impressive (as with all her work).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #646
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'm Back!

I'm sorry its been so long but we recently sold the home we lived in for 16 years so this summer was all about packing. I promise I'm back at it and there are more posts to come!

In the meantime I need help!

This is what the water fill looks like in a 1963. Have any of you managed to get this off? I've tried numerous applications of PB Blaster and the like .... and brute force. Nothing seems to work! Any tips or pointers? I was going to leave it but it's pretty corroded inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050788.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	274271

On a different note I'm trying to decide where to place the bathroom sink.
The first picture has it centered on the window and the mirror. but obviously that makes it not centered on the middle of the cabinet doors (or where they will be!)

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	274272
This picture has the sink closer to the center of the cabinet.

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	274273
Which do you think looks better?

Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #647
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Hey. Glad to see you posting. We based some of our insulation strategy on your blog and it's working great, so thank you!

I like the sink lined up with the mirror and the light better. If the cabinet bothers you, have you considered re-dividing the cabinet? Maybe three smaller doors would line up better than two larger ones?
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #648
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I like all three lined up as well. Glad you're back!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #649
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Glad to see you back, let me dig through my piles, I may have one of those water fillers if you need parts. I know I kept one, but did I toss it when we moved, not sure. I'm pretty sure it had a guage inside too. I'll dig after work tomorrow in the loft if you're wanting one.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #650
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
On the water fill problem have you tried heat (as in Flame) and a large pipe wrench?
I think sink can be off center (Symetry doe not imply Balance) and allows for a space next to tub and sink. Our 62' has sink close to edge and shampoo etc is always falling in sink.
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #651
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'd go with what bugs you the least. For me that would be having things lined up as much as possible. Most other people won't notice it, but you will (believe me!).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #652
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
So did you move to Colorado?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #653
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Glad to see you back, let me dig through my piles, I may have one of those water fillers if you need parts. I know I kept one, but did I toss it when we moved, not sure. I'm pretty sure it had a guage inside too. I'll dig after work tomorrow in the loft if you're wanting one.
Thanks Scott, but if I can manage to get the darn thing off I'm going to replace it with a modern version!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #654
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thank you all for your opinions on the cabinet!

Safari62, thanks for the suggestion on the waterfall, I have not tried heat, mostly because my torch is buried in one of two storage units , a product of putting an entire household into storage while we are temporarily renting an apartment. I'll borrow one and give it a try.

Aerowood - nope but my daughter did! (West highlands). If you need a bucking partner I taught her well!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #655
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd prefer any space at all to the left of the sink. Thus, centered with cabinet. Trailers already lack for space, so utilization of space is primary in my experience.

Packing a full household isn't much fun. Did it five times in five years.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #656
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Wait, what?!

Oh my stars! You MOVED!?!

The sink... centered. BUT I also see the value in space beside the sink. (There's plenty of space on the other side of the sink though.)

...but but but...You MOVED?!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #657
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
This is what happends when....

This is what happens when you decide to downsize, sell the house that you've lived in for sixteen years.... and have barely a month to pull it off.

I think there were 22 boxes of Airstream related "stuff" that is either waiting to be installed or was supplies. Yikes!

The summer went by in a blink of an eye! We are temporarily living in an apartment while searching for the next house.

The good news is that Moonraker has been relocated to a warehouse where I can actually work on her this winter. Out of the snow and with heat even! The bad news is all my stuff is in storage. So an average day of working on Moonraker consists of four hours of looking for a darn tool/supply and 2 hours of actually accomplishing something. It's quite evident at this point that I should have taken the time to label the boxes better.

Here's Moonraker in her new digs.....

At this point I have all three closets built. The cabinets were all built with 1/4 inch Baltic birch, except for the one panel that will hold the future TV, that was 1/2 inch Baltic Birch. The face frames are all maple: 1x2 sides with a 1x6 board at the top and 1x3 board at the bottom. All assembled with the Kreg jig. The front long outside edges were then routed with a 1/2 inch round over bit.

The old cabinet sides were used as patterns but there was quite a bit of tweaking to do to get a good fit. I reused the old metal "F" frames but the 1/4 inch baltic birch is wider than what Airstream used, and even after widening the f channel as much as I could I ended up rabbeting a layer or two of the baltic birch off the back edge.

And no they don't have doors yet! Muttering.....

I wanted the shelving to be adjustable so I used something called a sawtooth shelving system. I purchased it here. It looks like this (from their website).
I am happy with how it turned out but it was a lot of extra work! And it meant the shelves had to be cut in a pretty funky pattern!

The side rails with the "teeth" are glued and brad nailed on. The shelf supports just wedge tightly in place. I was prepared to have to tack them in place with some double sided tape but surprisingly enough they stay in place as long as the shelf has something on it. The one time we traveled with a closet empty everything had tumbled to the floor, thank goodness I labeled the back of the supports!

Some close ups of my cabinets. Note that I can even have a shelf in front of the fuse box as it can be removed in seconds.

And my favorite part, I used a patinated copper for the side in the shower area! Love how it goes with the aqua of the tub. It went on fairly easily with contact cement (ie with only minor hyperventilating). I still have to figure out what to trim the top edge of the tub with because I was missing a piece of the original.

This area at the bottom is going to be tricky, I can't rivet it up tight to the wall, there just isn't that much give in the tub wall, the plan is to fill it in with some custom cut PVC exterior trim board and then to cover it with ....well something. Sounds like a stellar plan huh? Well maybe not so stellar, but it IS a plan!

Other things to see... The cabinet is attached with aluminum brackets at the top. Kreg jig screws at the bottom.. Solid as a rock.

Also managed to finally wire these beauties in. They have the same star pattern as the sconces up front . They are glass and have to be babied but sooo worth it!

Hubby: You mean we have to take those down every time we drive? Are you kidding me?
Me : Yup, but aren't they beautiful?

Another case of form over function lol!

Ugggh, that white plastic knob is ugly, need to look for a metal ones! They each have two led bulbs from M4LED ( here ) that put out a surprising amount of light. I went with the natural light rather than the warm light. There's enough yellow tones in this trailer to make Big Bird happy, I didn't need to add more!!

It really is nice to have a true workshop, think that can fit into a downsizing plan???????
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #658
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
This is what happens when you decide to downsize, sell the house that you've lived in for sixteen years.... and have barely a month to pull it off.

It really is nice to have a true workshop, think that can fit into a downsizing plan???????
Yup.. if you have a good basement.

Remember post 488 in my thread?

Talk to me if you are close to Route 2 in Mass and need to borrow anything during the Dec - March time frame. It will be sitting idle otherwise.

Hope the move goes well and say Hi to P for us.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #659
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
That's a great shop! So nice that you have heat & can work comfortably in the winter. I love your copper in the bath! I was tossing the idea of some kind of copper in the bathroom of my Avion. Did you put something on it to make it change color? Your trailer looks great!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #660
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Oh my stars! You MOVED!?!

The sink... centered. BUT I also see the value in space beside the sink. (There's plenty of space on the other side of the sink though.)

...but but but...You MOVED?!
Yes I moved, but hopefully there will be a new house with room for visitors! Soon!

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander