Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Sept 17 2011

The belly of the beast exposed!

Well today was the day! Time to find out how bad the frame is.... and banish the bellypan.

If you have read my previous posts you know that I'm "not fond" of pink insulation. I look at the stuff, I itch.... to touch it .... shudder...... I'd rather babysit Sarah Palins children than touch insulation. Seriously, I don't know if its the formaldehyde in it or what, but I can't be around it.

My husband of course thinks this is just an excuse to get out of detaching the bellypan! Good thing he married me for better or worse cause this counts for the latter. When we got this Overlander the one thing he said is "I don't mind paying the bills for paying someone to do something you can't... but I REALLY don't want to spend my weekends working on the trailer"

Guess what he did this weekend?

And he has never looked sexier to me, Yep, love a man who can get his hands dirty !

It actually went surprisingly well (for me anyway!) Probably five hours from beginning to end, including cleaning up and a lunch break.

We used one of these bad boys - an 18 gauge electric sheet metal shears from Harbor Freight Tools. Getting them at the right angle to cut smoothly took some adjusting... but when they worked, they worked like "Butta" I'm channeling Paula Dean here, LOL

We had to cut a little lower on the belly pan because otherwise we kept running into the outriggers that were too tight to the belly pan to get the shears to fit. So after we were done, we went back and trimmed a little higher.

Wow, I keep saying "we" which is totally inaccurate, my DH did it all! And much of it flat on his back with the shears inches away from his face! Did I mention how sexy he looked??? Tyvek suit, goggles and gloves, it's a classic look! The electric shears were soooo worth it, I think I picked them up on a 40 percent off the $40 price. My sister and her husband did their Tradewind with hand shears and while it can be done, I'm sure it wasn't a rockin' good time! I sure love learning from their experiences (sorry sis!).

Now everyone says how disgusting the belly pan debris is but ....well.... I'll let you judge

Personally I've seen worse in my kids laundry baskets!!!! Just kidding, but there were no unidentifiable bodies, no skeletons, no smell, no more shotgun shells (exactly how does one dispose of live ammo anyway? It's not as if I can toss it in the trash...?).

There was no real treasure either but hey does a frame that's in pretty good shape count??? You BET! I'll wait for Colin's final assessment but I thought it looked pretty good?

Tomorrow we will be removing the tub and the Airstream logos on the trailer for restoration! Also a plethora of nasty decals from gun and ammo shops. I'm gonna erase every inch of the old hunting cabin!

Its going to be a busy day as we will also be priming my sister and BIL's Tradewind . See their blog here: http://1960airstreamtradewind.blogspot.com

Stay tuned!

And just for the cuteness factor, my mom's new Jack Russell named Watson. He's a rescue and a PISTOL!

I brought him a stuffed rabbit toy and he had all five squeakers out in like 4.5 milliseconds. He reminds me of Tigger (of the Winnie the Pooh fame).... Their bottoms are made out of springs. They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun fun, FUN!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Sept 18 2011

Tub woes and a few successes...

Today was a typical "airstreamin'" day. Some ups, some downs but when the successes outnumber the failures I count it as a plus!

First off I have a new acronym for the bathtub;

SBT - Stupid blasted tub

or maybe this is just a chance to use one of my favorite acronyms of late:

AFLO - Another flipping learning opportunity

That tub drain won't budge, we gave it our best shot, but short of cutting a hole in the floor and lifting it out it's not surrendering .... SBT and AFLO..... there ... I feel better! I REALLY didn't want to damage the tub so I guess I'm leaving it for Colin Hyde to deal with! I wanted to give it a good swift kick but you all will be happy to know I restrained myself. Grrrrr Its not really a big deal as I'm planning on having it professionally painted (aqua of course!) so it would have ended up at Colin's anyway.

On to other tasks.... I removed the decals on the windows and the back of the trailer.

I used this. My sis had it and said it worked and it definitely did! I used the regular blue rubber gloves...BAD idea... It dissolved the gloves and then proceeded to dissolve the plastic scraper too! I'm pretty sure it took a bit of my skin and a few brain cells too.... nasty.

Unfortunately because the previous owner hadn't limited himself to the windows there's ghosting on the aluminum. I'm hoping it will polish out but we'll see.

See the one in the center? Guess what it covered? Yep, a big old dent ..... *sigh*

The airstream nameplates had to come off to be restored. Restoring on the trailer was not an option, they were BURIED in various sealants, The PO obviously believed in the saying that "more is better". As I had the interior out I figured it would be as easy as using a chisel, shearing off the buck rivets from the back and popping the nameplates off. Well, popping was not the right terminology, it was more along the lines of " I'd have better luck prying the xbox controller out of my sons hands on the day Portal 2 released".

PS if you are too old to understand the context ...it was REALLY REALLY REALLY hard! I think some dark magic was involved....

Before picture

Guess what was lurking behind the nameplate???? Dirt , mud, pine needles, bugs.... you name it! No wonder the PO couldn't get it sealed.

I did clean it up with a spray of water from the hose and decided to use some more of the adhesive remover. It was resisting so I used the scrubby side of a kitchen sponge and for cripe's sake ....
AFLO (see above)

It scratched the aluminum *sigh sigh sigh*

Hard to see in this picture but trust me it's there. Hopefully it will polish out but geesh ...Is there anything you can use to remove crud that WON'T scratch aluminum????????

On a happy note the adhesive remover did a nice job on the first 2 numbers (at which point I realized I was scratching the aluminum.

Time to prime my sisters trailer..... http://1960airstreamtradewind.blogspot.com
Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Nice work today.... love the dog

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Congrats on that good looking frame. Always scary until you get to see it. "We" did a great job on that belly pan removal.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks Steve and Trex!

It was nice to get some more work done! Maybe in three years (or more LOL) I'll have a purty trailer like both of yours!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
For scraping off crud without scratching the aluminum much, a friend of mine recently recommended plastic razor blades. I have yet to see one of the critters but he said has used them quite a bit for removing caulk and sealant that the PO of his Tradewind liked to apply in wide swaths leading up to the actual edge to be sealed.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #27
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I've got plenty of "wide swaths" too! Thanks, I will try them and report back!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Hi Shelly, cool to see your progress, hope to bring our trailer home soon to winterize and try getting that oven working. Wanted to share that your tub is "glued" down with foam in a can, at least ours was. The foam was really hard on ours, I was able to break it free by taking an old hand saw and cut flush with the floor.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
I think you may already know about this web site...1960s Airstream Plate

They have replacement "60's" nameplates for sale.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #30
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Yep! Of course I know of VTS, just ordered all my lights there!

My sister actually bought those plates a year or so ago for her Tradewind and the clearcoat on them is already peeling. They don't look so hot and I figured I might as well work with the originals.

The SN plate they have is also not a match because the words "International Land Yacht" are in dark blue on the original and they are silver on the VTS. Some might find that picky but....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss plate 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	141106   Click image for larger version

Name:	VTS-594-2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	141107  

Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #31
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Hi Shelly, cool to see your progress, hope to bring our trailer home soon to winterize and try getting that oven working. Wanted to share that your tub is "glued" down with foam in a can, at least ours was. The foam was really hard on ours, I was able to break it free by taking an old hand saw and cut flush with the floor.
I didn't even get that far! The tub drain won't unscrew, even with the correct wrench. It moves freely until the p trap hits a trailer frame member and then won't budge. We actually bent the "crosshairs" in the trap. My next plan was to use a heat gun on the drain but I didn't have one with me.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #32

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great progress! It does look like your frame may be a survivor, keeping our fingers crossed that it is good and solid. I had a few outriggers and cross members that were real thin. I needed to move some of them anyway to make room for my gray tank.

Wait a minute..."Colin"? Ahhh...you have a 'ringer' on your team! I guess that makes up for you not having the 'Stream in your yard so work can be done daily.

If you see Colin do you mind asking what a set of axles are going for - shipped to MS? Rough prices are good. To keep the wolves at bay send the info via PM if you get it.

On Edit...My tub lifted straight up, all of the plumbing that was attached to the P trap came with it. There was one coupling under the sink and the vent pipe in the closet that needed to be undone
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
my strainer didn't come out either, is your trap brass? Mine was, and rotted out in the bottom. I ended up taking the lower access panel off the belly pan and used a fine tooth sawzall blade to take the trap off...
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #34
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Scott I think its brass given how easily it bent. Sawzall sounds like a good idea but I think my trap is cast iron... I wasn't sure i could find a place to cut above it its tight down there!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Guess where I was yesterday?

This post is coming a week late because I have been out of power for 6 days due to a FREAK October snowstorm that cancelled Halloween!!!

Headed up to Vermont last Friday night to stay at my sister's. The plan was for my brother in law and I to wake up early on Saturday (to avoid traffic) and deliver Moonraker to Colin Hyde's Trailer Restorations for the beginning of her restoration.

The ferry ride over...

Colin recently moved to a new shop and he definitely has upgraded his digs! His front door is particularly impressive!!!

Nice and shiny! Wonder if that was polished by his secret recipe? LOL

Not only does he have heaters..... he has a parts room, a wood working shop and a shower!!! Living the life of luxury!

Some pictures of the shop...

To the right are Colin's two gantrys that he uses to lift of the trailer body. Nice setup.

His parking lot has some nice Airstreams! I'm kicking myself because I didn't get any pictures of Colin's '57 Sovereign... no wait ....that would be "'57 SOVEREIGN OF THE ROAD" emphasis added of course. !

Seriously, sweet sweet trailer.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #36
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Shelly,
I just found your thread here! I have been keeping up on your blog, but didn't know you had a forums thread too. That's cool! Take care!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #37
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The blog and this post pretty much mirror one another but this thread gets a lot more advice (and all of it is needed!)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #38

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
So tell us, what all will be done on Moonraker when you pick it up from Colin?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
The blog and this post pretty much mirror one another but this thread gets a lot more advice (and all of it is needed!)
Hey Shelly....nice to see that you're using a great shop & person for your remodel! I got my axles from Colin, and was very happy with his sevice and advice. Unlike another National Dealer, who still has $570 of my money, and who has refused to return my money for a full 30 days, plus he refused to take my phone call...

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Depends on how fast I run out of money!

He will do a shell off floor replacement, new axles and brakes. Repair/weld/repaint/? the frame.

He's going to add a 40 gallon water tank and three gray water tanks with the needed vents.

Prodex insulation under the floor and a new belly pan.

Misc dent work and the replacement of an entire side panel (due to a PO blowout of wheel well).

Rework the Bowen water heater cover to work with an RV500

In the interests of having it semi water tight I'd like him to do the two fantastic fans and the maxim solar dome but if worse comes to worse I can certainly do these.

I'm sure I've forgotten something(s)

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander