Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Sugar Land , Texas
'64 Restoration

Well, I've been lurking here for quite a while, but thought I'd finally put my adventure in a post.

A little over a year ago, I found a post for an airstream on craigslist, I drove out to see it, and it followed me home, not with out some work that is.
The airstream was originally featured in this post by the PO.

My first adventure was tires... It had been sitting for a long time in their driveway, and the tires left a little to be desired. I removed the existing tires and rims, loaded them in the truck, and took them to discount tire. The nice service man behind the desk calls me to the back, and points out that I have two 15" and two 16" rims (they looked identical to me on the trailer). So I buy two new rims to match the 15 inchers and am on my way.
Getting the tires on proved to be another adventure They pretty much had to be deflated to get them in the wheel wells.

We made it home, very slowly, a few hours later, and encountered our next adventure. Backing it in to the driveway. I had never backed a large trailer before... It was about midnight at the time, so we just left it there, in the middle of the drive. My mom had to park sideways in the driveway.

The next morning we pulled it out and tried again, third time is a charm I guess.

Anyways, I've been picking it apart over the last year or so, reading a lot on here, learning, and planning.

I just finished a shell on floor replacement, Re-Insulated, and re-wired.

We are planning on cleaning the inside skins (they've been sitting in the back yard waiting...) this weekend for reinstallation.

I had a fire lit under me recently, as we are planning on taking it on a trip in November! It's been a fun process, mostly.

More pictures to come, and I plan on putting some more detail on my blog, that info will follow soon.

Thanks to everyone on the forums who have made this such a wealth of information and great community!
- Chris
cts2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Chris,

Sounds like you're on the right track. Any planned layout changes for the new interior?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Howdy Chris.....Looks like you have everything under control. Hope you have as much fun as I did while I was restoring our 62 Bambi. I'm getting kinda bored......need a new AS project. (don't tell my wife)
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Sugar Land , Texas
Update

Hi Kevin,
I do have plans to rework the interior, It was gutted when I bought it, so I'm completely re-designing it... It will be similar to the original layout (which was side twins, rear bath), I'm switching it to a rear bed, side bath, and instead of a front goucho, I'm planning for a dinette.

Here are some progress pics-
To the shop for welding the frame:

Frame Welding (we had to replace a section of the rear frame, two cross members, and a couple of outriggers...)

New floor going in, We used foam sheets to get the curves, the old wood was too badly damaged to use as templates.

Paint on the tongue

Insulation and electrical going in

It's come along way...
cts2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, overlander, restoration