Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #241
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Glad to see y’all back at it and acquiring the stuff you need. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #242
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Hatches? We ain't got no stinking hatches! (Until now)

Some updates on my hatches. I bought one as I showed earlier, and installed it on the belly. Buttoned up the bottom belly finally, and hopefully for good. Milestone.

Really liked the quality and construction of the hatch, so I ordered 2 more for the rear baggage door replacement and old refrigerator vent door opening. Got them in January, fitted them this week with minimal cutting/grinding. Very happy with them. Not cheap, but very solid. Hoping the eventual polish will even-out the manufacturer marks. I think I will keep the original drip cap on the rear baggage door, not sure about the front (if I even still have it.)

Got a new license plate bracket after seeing how much it was going to cost to re-chrome my original. That looks good.

Spring is still a-ways away, but it felt good to pull the trailer out and do something on a sunny day. Seems like this major exterior work goes on and on.

KCN

PS Here's the actual quote - since my trailer came out of Mexico, seemed fitting.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.
I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" - Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	412071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	412072  

Name:	IMG_4397.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	412073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	412078  

Name:	IMG_4407.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	412080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4406.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	412081  

Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 AM   #243
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
spring progress report

Lots to report.

Successfully wired all my running lights, brakes etc... love the new shiny LED's - visibility is a good thing. Adding two new backup lights, pre-wired for the camera I may add later. Ran all my 12V and 120 wires, put in the shallow blue switch/outlet boxes with the side mounting flange.

Insulated and installed the endcaps - the rear was a challenge because of some patches and repair that influenced the stiffness and thickness, but it installed ok after some patience. Trim around the window could be challenging on the rear, but the front is a-ok. Endcaps have been such a pain to have in the way when not installed - SO GLAD they are back in place.

I'm extremely pleased with myself about the wiring, btw, as I had to build my confidence to do this and it worked so well! Nothing could progress until that was done. I studied a lot, watched a lot of YouTube. I used waterproof shrink-wrap crimp connectors and added shrink tube on top of that on all light connections. Turns out I had done it correctly last fall...just didn't push the 7-way plug in far enough - but I believed I had failed and was pretty bummed. Fresh start this spring, re-did the ground, still didn't work, jiggled the plug a tiny bit more and...voila! Now I sit inside my house and turn the TV on and off remotely just to see the light come on.

Started insulating - doing a spacer/prodex/foam board sandwich. Already had the prodex. Got the first layers done - trailer was warm enough this weekend in the rain and snow to be comfortable. Amazing difference.

Installed a 6 gallon propane-only water heater. PO had removed the original, left a very large opening. This heater is much smaller, so I had to patch the original and install the heater in the patch. Made a support frame on the inside wall out of channel. Looks good and feels very sturdy. Has a white door, which will have to be stripped.

Got propane tanks, all my pex, need to install the water fill so need to decided on my freshwater tank. Also re-registered and plated the trailer, then hauled it to get new tires as old ones had aged out - sister going to use those on the ranch so not a total waste of rubber money.

Outside porchlight switch plate was too small for the opening left by the PO (common theme) but found an oversize single outlet aluminum plate at Kyle Switchplates, had my local welder remove the screw fixture/cap from the too-small vintage one, and voila. Would like to switch that power supply from 120 to 12v - I have two vintage 120 fixtures. I'll have to research that.

Onward!

KCN
Old 06-11-2023, 07:43 AM   #244
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Still working!

I'll skip all the insulation and wiring photos, riveting of hatches, nothing novel, but they are all done. The interior skins are ALL BACK IN, and interior painting has commenced! A milestone that is visible to all. So. Many. Rivets.

I ended up re-using all but the most severely damaged/corroded interior skins - the old rear and center ceiling skins were replaced - and the only hiccup was that I used some .030 on the replacement pieces and wished I'd used .040, but I wasn't going back and spending more $$ on aluminum.

I plumbed in a condensation drain tube and hid wiring for a future roof-mount a/c should it come to that, but it may never get used as I still want a split a/c someday.

Solar will have to wait until I get some more $$ and buy a whole Victron/Renogy system.

Wiring actually turned out to be the most fun part of this entire adventure for me. I really liked learning and figuring it out. I had a couple of mentors who helped me with advice, but I did all the work and design myself, which really made it all come together for me. When the puck lights actually came on I felt like I'd just discovered electricity.

How I did it: I rigged up a car battery with a trickle charger, plugged that in to keep it at full charge, and just tested and used all my 12V things, like the fantastic fans and lights and switches as I went along. This was very important for me. I have to be able to see things in order to understand and trust the process. (I had my battery ground in place through both the c-channel and an outrigger). I could see how quickly the fans dropped the battery charge, etc.. so that was good info for me.

Paint: I'm using 2 layers of Ben Moore's INSL-X Waterborne Bonding Primer "Stix" and haven't decided on the topcoat yet, but likely some version of white. I'm amazed and grateful and, yes, proud to be at this point.

KCN
Old 07-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #245
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Paint, fan

Painting is done-ish - "white heron" by Benjamin Moore on top of 2 coats of the primer. I actually went slightly snowblind doing this - lots of white! Will get toned down by the wood.

Installed a 12V sidewall exhaust fan over the stove area to utilize the existing hole that had accommodated a stove hood that was roughly nipple high - way too low to be of use to me. The fan is a Maxx Air, the only 12 V I could find that moved enough air AND I already had it on hand... I painted it with aluminum color paint on the exterior, as well as the water heater door. Both fan and door will likely be replaced at some point, but are functional and adequate for now. The fan has the LED light option and it's very bright, so I will likely put a film of some sort over that to tone it down. May just order the light-free ring to replace it, will have to see.

Currently looking for someone to cut aluminum strips so I can make new trim for all the windows. Need to paint and install the trim for the FF's. Building ply covers over the wheel wells and will have insulation under them - I got rid of the ratty fiberglass covers that were part of it originally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0677.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	434275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	904.9 KB
ID:	434276  

Name:	IMG_0681.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	434277  
Old 07-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Too bad you are not local anymore, cause I could cut the for you.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:58 AM   #247
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Too bad you are not local anymore, cause I could cut the for you.

Hey, Kip! Be careful of what you offer - I plan to be down there at the end of the month to bid farewell to the Wally Bee.

Look who I ran into at the International Rally (actually, it was a planned rendezvous, brief, on my back home from Illinois). I look forward to attending one of these rallies with my trailer soon.

Hope you are well - would love to catch up. I'll send you a text or email when I'm down there.

xoxox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0463.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	988.8 KB
ID:	434285  
Old 07-16-2023, 01:08 PM   #248
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Well if you are going to be down this way, what do you need.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #249
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Well if you are going to be down this way, what do you need.

I went ahead and did online metals for those pesky strips. Shipped from Santa Fe Springs where my trailer was built, so that's kind of fun - I like serendipity.
Thanks for the offer, Kip - I'll need some more things for sure. Hopefully my little brake will be sufficient to bend these up into window trim. I ordered with pvc film on one side to keep them clean.

Meanwhile, I tested my gray water system and it flowed like a champ with no leaks. This will only be for my shower drain - all other gray water will be going into small tanks under the sinks. This will be better for me as I can monitor those more easily and I won't have the shower on-line for a while.

I used a flexible tube for my tank vent and ran it up inside the wall and out through the original vent stack, using a rubber grommet and fitting. Worked really well.

Sadly had to say goodby to my dog on Saturday - devastating. I got him the same time I got the camper and he's gone literally everywhere with me. I have 1000's of photos of him since everyone loved him and he went on all my adventures. Took this photo the evening before he left - I guess I knew his time was coming but had planned on camping in this with him.

I'm looking at Labrador-themed fabrics for curtains - all my kids now have labs, and "Uncle Cooper" has helped raise them all. Since they are already in-line to use this camper when I'm done, I think the theme will suit us all going forward, and seems fitting.

Kathy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9758.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	434699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3257.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	434700  

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 11.36.15 AM.png
Views:	19
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	434701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	434702  

Old 01-08-2024, 08:23 PM   #250
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Woodworking 101

Finally to the cabinet-making phase, which is really fun. Built my rear bed platform, kind of following similar frame structures to what airstream originally did on my two twins. Two large drawers under the bed - one will extend down the aisle, one will be shorter.

Having fun with rabbets, bevel cuts, dowels etc... kind of using the original cabinets as templates. Birch ply and poplar primarily. I will get them in place in the trailer then take them inside for finishing before final installation. Took a while to get the side bath all figured out - more on that later. I think it will work out just fine.

Yay me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2267.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	440147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2256.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	440148  

Name:	IMG_2825.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	440149  
Old 01-08-2024, 08:37 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
The bed framing looks great. Will the cabinetry be made of birch? We used Baltic and Russian, which I think is about the same. It cuts and finishes well. Also, there is hardwood core birch plywood that doesn’t have voids in the ply. This was used on some of the 50s Airstream cabinet doors so they could shape the door edges with a router and stain. Good luck and keep the updates coming.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:01 AM   #252
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Thanks, Bubba - I'll look into that. I did cut some doors for the overhead end-cap cabinets and had a visible void on one - figured I'd fill and sand but no void would be better. I recently graduated from HD wood to a better local supplier for the poplar boards. I don't like table saws so I use jigs and sleds to rip the longer stuff. Pretty proud of filling a garbage can with sawdust

I hadn't used my router since I cut my floor all those years ago...2013? Had to re-learn how to use it and now I am way into buying bits. Very fun. Much more fun than any of the metal work.

I kept my f channels, so I was able to re-use those. A little beat-up but not too bad. Cutting the curved walls wasn't going too well until I bought an adjustable radius template - much easier. My jig saw skills are getting better. Wish I had a router table and a bandsaw - woodworking tools are kind of addicting.

I also finished installing the interior trim on my windows - they look all shiny. Should have used .025 not .030, but I had a shop with a press brake bend them for me so they are pretty nice.

Using a floating floor - click lock low-VOC marmoleum. Did not put it under the bed, seemed heavy and unnecessary, and the front of the bed makes a nice square wall (!!) for it to butt up against.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2260.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	440150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2144.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	440151  

Name:	IMG_2142.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	798.4 KB
ID:	440152  
Old 04-02-2024, 09:56 PM   #253
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Making progress. Stayed with my mock-up layout from 3 years ago, more or less.

Didn't realize I was quite this stubborn, but here we are.

Cabinet carcasses for the galley are mostly made and are quite square and sturdy. Drawer boxes and fronts, and cabinet doors next. Spent a lot of time watching drawer slide installation videos this week.

Found a good wood supplier and have been cutting all my own dimension lumber from the poplar boards I buy from them. Never could get comfy with my table saw; instead, I made a jig, and I have used my circular saw to rip the long pieces. That was a huge roadblock for me, actually.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	442420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3758.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	442421  

Old 04-03-2024, 03:46 AM   #254

1968 24' Tradewind
London , Ontario
Hey. New Girl.

Teach a person how to jig,
and they’ll even have time to spare.
61BULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:53 AM   #255
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Kathy, looks like you did great on the curved wall plywood. For me, the drawer slides don’t bother me near as much as the symmetry of the fronts. We have stained Birch as the original. So, I had to book match the fronts and the spacing. Also, how do your drawers stay shut during travel without sliding out? Just wondering for future my stuff. You’ve got a neat work space. Mine was a mess. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:14 AM   #256
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
Meanwhile, I tested my gray water system and it flowed like a champ with no leaks. This will only be for my shower drain - all other gray water will be going into small tanks under the sinks. This will be better for me as I can monitor those more easily and I won't have the shower on-line for a while.

I used a flexible tube for my tank vent and ran it up inside the wall and out through the original vent stack, using a rubber grommet and fitting. Worked really well.

Sadly had to say goodby to my dog on Saturday - devastating. I got him the same time I got the camper and he's gone literally everywhere with me. I have 1000's of photos of him since everyone loved him and he went on all my adventures. Took this photo the evening before he left - I guess I knew his time was coming but had planned on camping in this with him.
I used the same flexible (spa) tubing on my '64 Bambi II. It was a lifesaver material to use as I had no direct way to get to the roof to vent directly above where the gray tank was.

Our old Beagle pup is a little over 15, and we are hoping she will make it on at least one last camping trip with us in our "new" '61 TradeWind in a few weeks, but we aren't sure she has it in her.

Sorry you lost yours as well.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:23 AM   #257
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Kathy, looks like you did great on the curved wall plywood. For me, the drawer slides don’t bother me near as much as the symmetry of the fronts. We have stained Birch as the original. So, I had to book match the fronts and the spacing. Also, how do your drawers stay shut during travel without sliding out? Just wondering for future my stuff. You’ve got a neat work space. Mine was a mess. Good luck and keep us informed.
Since my original wood was so trashed I'm doing all new, so the stain match will be easy. I did strip down some of the original doors and drawer fronts but decided it wasn't worth it to use them and have to build around those dimensions, so I went with all new. The hard part will be deciding the color I want - that has changed multiple times over the years. I've been advised to do either lacquer or conversion varnish as the finish - thoughts on that?

Working in my garage keeps most of the mess in there - I do like a tidy work area though, and sweeping is therapeutic while I ponder my next move. In snow country this is a pain as I have to clean up every night to get my vehicles back in the garage...but I'm in clear weather now, so I can be more productive. My main work table is a 2" 4x8 slab of closed cell foam board laid across 3 of the collapsable 4 foot Costco tables with extendable legs - amazingly sturdy and quick to put up and take down.

Drawer slides: I'll be using the full-extension ball-bearing slides throughout - this is what Earthroamer uses in their builds, I've been in several of them, so I'm betting the soft-close feature is enough to keep the drawers that are facing the sides closed while traveling. For those that run the length of the trailer, I'll be using the same type of slides, but with locking mechanisms.

I also changed my mind on the Nature's Head toilet - was able to easily sell that, and now I'm looking at a different one with a much narrower footprint - could save as much as four inches depending on the model - the width for the unit was the deciding factor as my trailer is narrow and the side bath is very tight, and the handle and vent attachments were cumbersome to design around. I've been using a cassette toilet in my van so I am comfortable with that level of technology (or lack of).

Kathy
Old 04-04-2024, 07:31 AM   #258
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I used the same flexible (spa) tubing on my '64 Bambi II. It was a lifesaver material to use as I had no direct way to get to the roof to vent directly above where the gray tank was.

Our old Beagle pup is a little over 15, and we are hoping she will make it on at least one last camping trip with us in our "new" '61 TradeWind in a few weeks, but we aren't sure she has it in her.

Sorry you lost yours as well.

Yeah that flex tube was great to work with, easy to find at the hardware store.

Thanks for your kind words - I also had a beagle for years - they are such wonderful dogs! Trying to get brave enough to get a new pup - I really miss my boy!

Kathy
Old 04-04-2024, 07:33 AM   #259
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61BULLET View Post
Teach a person how to jig,
and they’ll even have time to spare.

I've spent waaaay too much time looking this up on the inter webs to see if it's a well-known quote or something you just made up. Either way, thanks for the note!

Kathy

Tags
spaceliner lights