Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
1961 Overlander Questions

We e-bayed a '61 Overlander Twin with International set up a couple of months ago and have started to "peal back the layers" so to speak and start remodeling/ restoring her. She was already polished- pretty well by the PO! However, her interior needs updating. We have come across a few questions about originality and function as we have started to work on her.
1. Should there really be a big whip antenna on the outside? Is that part of the international package?
2. What is with the switch near the exhaust fan- it doesn't appear to go to anything?
3. The pantry area next to the fridge is just an empty cabinet in ours- should it have had shelves for pantry items?
4. There is no real dinning table- nothing folds up from next to the gaucho and the windows are pretty low on both sides. We were thinking about covering up the bottom window on the street side and putting a fold out table there. Any suggestions?
5. How do we make the funky water purifier work and function properly?
We appreciate any input and suggestions- thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0e25_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	53873   Click image for larger version

Name:	4115_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	53874  

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	53875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	53876  

Name:	3fe2_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	53877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	53878  

Name:	0e89_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	53879  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
We e-bayed a '61 Overlander Twin with International set up a couple of months ago and have started to "peal back the layers" so to speak and start remodeling/ restoring her. She was already polished- pretty well by the PO! However, her interior needs updating. We have come across a few questions about originality and function as we have started to work on her.
1. Should there really be a big whip antenna on the outside? Is that part of the international package?
2. What is with the switch near the exhaust fan- it doesn't appear to go to anything?
3. The pantry area next to the fridge is just an empty cabinet in ours- should it have had shelves for pantry items?
4. There is no real dinning table- nothing folds up from next to the gaucho and the windows are pretty low on both sides. We were thinking about covering up the bottom window on the street side and putting a fold out table there. Any suggestions?
Andy, I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.
1. Mine didn't have an antenna, but I've seen pictures of the same year/model with a side whip antenna. I can send you the pictures.
2. The switch near the fan has city/battery on it to run the fan on either battery(12v) or shore power (110v). I had tp replace my fan motor, so mine only works on 12v now. The fan has a second switch that turns it on when you open the cover.
3. My pantry has what looks like factor shelves in it.
4. The pervious owner of our AS keep the fold down table that came from the factory, but I have pictures off it(I'm trying to get it).
5. I have worked on my water filter yet(looks just like yours), but I have ordered replacement filters for it. General Ecology, 161 Sheree Blvd, Exton, PA 19341, 610-363-7900, Water Purifiers and Micro Water Filters: Seagull IV, Nature Pure, First Need - General Ecology Inc.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The pantry should have shelves in it. Ours had a total of 5 shelves, I removed the top one to install a small microwave on shelf #2, trying to keep the "look" of a 1960's trailer. The shelves were constructed of 3/8" plywood, with a small lip on the front to keep stuff from sliding off while towing.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the information on the water purifier and the pantry. We will keep you updated with the progress of the resto.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Hi 3streams:

1. The police type whip antenna is original equipment included with the 1961 International trim package. I think it looks very cool and strongly recommend you leave it on there. When not chatting with Dan Matthews of "Highway Patrol", you can fly your pirate flag from it. 10-4.

2. The dining table is a free standing fold-up table that has become separated from the trailer since birth. It make take you a while to find another, but dilligence may pay off. In the meantime, if you use a wall mounted table, why not keep the lower window as is, add a curtain for modesty concerns, and just run a table attachment (perhaps a metal table connector or hinges attached to a piece of wood) that spans the windows at whatever height is comfortable?

3. Additional water filter information can be found on these Forums by searching for "Ogden water" filter or purifier, or variations thereof. You have already been directed to the current source for filters. Great looking Overlander! Have fun with it.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Does anyone have an owners manual for a 1961 overlander- if so we would purchase a copy from you if you would xerox and send it to us- we really would like to see the schematics for plumbing/ electric, or does anyone know of a source on the internet for this? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
To the best of my knowledge & according to the information found here in the forums, Airstream did not have owner's manuals for this year. Airstream started printing owners manuals in the mid 60's. There is some information on the vintage Airstream web site, The Vintage Airstream Club about the pressurized water system, appliances, etc. My '61 Overlander has two separate electrical systems, 110v & 12v.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
1964 was the first year for owner's manuals, and even then, it was very rudimentary. The '64 owner's manual will do you little good, even though they look virtually identical, there are more differences than similarities in the years. Windows were slightly different, electrical systems were very different, plumbing and heating were different, etc.
The forums will likely be your best resource to decipher your trailer.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
working on the '61

With a fire lit under our a**es from visiting Colin at GSM vehicles- we were out working on the '61 last night. Removed the composting toilet- yuck & the PO didn't even dump their black tank the floor tiles came right up because the wax ring has disintegrated and the sub floor has gotten wet- double yuck! Also got the metal trim on the tub removed and the rotten shelves pulled out of the closets. Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	54138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	54139  

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	54140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	54141  

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	54142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	54143  

Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #10

1961 26' Overlander
st pete , Florida
This Is My First Post But I've Been Reading Heavy For The Last Month And I'm Still Confused. I Have Taken On Fixing Up A 1961 26' Overlander And After Looking At Your Pics Mine Is Complete Oppisite So I'm Asuming There's More Than One Model. I Don't Think There's Been Any Work Done Since It's Been Sitting For 30 Years.
The Kit Sink And Stove Are Reversed So Is The Bathroom. I Will Try And Add Some Pics Soon But Do You Have Any Idea What The Difference Is. Thanks Dave
By The Way This Is The Best Site On The Web For As By Far.
jobrwijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Yours is probably a CA model- often the bathrooms and plumbing were opposite of the Ohio models.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
We have a '62 Ambassador which is very similar to your Overlander. Ours has a switch for the exhaust fan that states "City Power or Battery Power" Additionally, there is another light switch near the sink that controls the 12V circuit for the water pump that goes under the sink. It is possible that that was removed as it was on ours. You may see some wiring coming from the bulkhead under the sink area. Our trailer has the 10' whip antenna as well. There may be 12V wiring in the cabinet above the front sofa for a CB and there should also be a wire coming from the antenna in there as well. As far as the dining table, I believe that there would have been a free standing drop leaf table which ours was missing as well. I have seen a couple of them pop up on ebay from time to time. We ended up purchasing a small chrome and formica drop leaf from the 60s that works very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	54145  

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrwijo
This Is My First Post But I've Been Reading Heavy For The Last Month And I'm Still Confused. I Have Taken On Fixing Up A 1961 26' Overlander And After Looking At Your Pics Mine Is Complete Oppisite So I'm Asuming There's More Than One Model. I Don't Think There's Been Any Work Done Since It's Been Sitting For 30 Years.
The Kit Sink And Stove Are Reversed So Is The Bathroom. I Will Try And Add Some Pics Soon But Do You Have Any Idea What The Difference Is. Thanks Dave
By The Way This Is The Best Site On The Web For As By Far.
If your toilet is on the left, you probably have an Ohio-built unit. Another indicator is if the wheelwells run up, straight across, then bck down, or if they arch in the center. Arched wheelwells are California, and straight wheelwells are ohio.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
tinkering on the '61

A huge find... my husband caught the light on the trailer just right and noticed the ghost of a rectangle below the WBCCI #- a caravan sticker? We have seen pics of a red caravan sticker centered above the rear window that would denote the trailer had been on a caravan. How do we find out more info and history?

Also, we got the old galvanized steel water tank out of the trailer- that was good for about 40 lbs or so- we think we will replace it with a square plastic tank and a pressure pump.

Not sure if we are going to keep the sink or not- if we do can we repair the chip?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	54268  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
My husband- curious now from the discovery of the caravan sticker- has determined the ghost numbers are 5057 and the owner before the PO was from Springfield, OH - a Mr. Randall McCarty (according to the title). Does anyone have old caravan registries or even WBCCI registries to track the trailer?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
A huge find... my husband caught the light on the trailer just right and noticed the ghost of a rectangle below the WBCCI #- a caravan sticker? We have seen pics of a red caravan sticker centered above the rear window that would denote the trailer had been on a caravan. How do we find out more info and history?

Also, we got the old galvanized steel water tank out of the trailer- that was good for about 40 lbs or so- we think we will replace it with a square plastic tank and a pressure pump.

Not sure if we are going to keep the sink or not- if we do can we repair the chip?

Do not use a pressure pump with a plastic tank, since you must not pressurize any plastic tank.

You should use a "demand pump," with a plastic water tank.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ker-10185.html

This link to this thread should help with your sticker information. This is a thread of the PO of our '61 Overlander.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
My husband- curious now from the discovery of the caravan sticker- has determined the ghost numbers are 5057 and the owner before the PO was from Springfield, OH - a Mr. Randall McCarty (according to the title). Does anyone have old caravan registries or even WBCCI registries to track the trailer?
The numbers signify that a PO was a member of the WBCCI. The name and number that you posted are not in the current directories. Forum member streamer23 has a collection of older directories and may be able to help. Send him a PM with the information and see what he finds.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My 62 is similar in many ways to yours... however yours is a California model, is that right? Those wheel wells are a direct give away. Here is the thing that stumps me... the toilet and shower are in the Ohio configuration. My Anna, also has that long CB antenna. I am sure it is original due to the clips that hold it down, they are attached with solid rivets. You will probably find some rot behind that bathroom vanity and do not be too surprised if the rear cross member is rusted a lot. They all leak and this era Overlander likes to leak from the end caps. You will find that water is directed perfectly along the panel and into the top of the window. After many hours of trying to get it stopped, I have slowed it down considerably. I am also suspect of the rear vent. Keep posting pictures....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
My 62 is similar in many ways to yours... however yours is a California model, is that right? Those wheel wells are a direct give away. Here is the thing that stumps me... the toilet and shower are in the Ohio configuration. .
Our vin indicates that it is an Ohio trailer- so were not sure about the wheel wells- we have been told that the shape of the arch will tell you what factory it came from- but I will trust the vin over the wheel well. You know how AS was - nothing consistent.

Tags