Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
Our vin indicates that it is an Ohio trailer- so were not sure about the wheel wells- we have been told that the shape of the arch will tell you what factory it came from- but I will trust the vin over the wheel well. You know how AS was - nothing consistent.
Here's a picture of our '61 Overlander's wheel well, it's Ohio built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream6.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	54275  
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The galvanized water tank is held in place by several lag bolts. In the case of our trailer, the bolts came up through the floor from underneath. I cut off the bolts so I didn't have to rip out the belly pan. I then installed a plastic fresh water tank (15-20 gallon will fit in place, you can modify the area slightly to put a bigger one in), and plumbed a demand pump into the sytem. I used the original fill fitting with PVC pipe for a filler for the new tank.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
Here is ours...

I wil double check the vin this evening- but we looked it up when we got it and found it was Ohio- also the PO-s were both from Springfield, OH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0e25_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	54278  
Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The galvanized water tank is held in place by several lag bolts. In the case of our trailer, the bolts came up through the floor from underneath. I cut off the bolts so I didn't have to rip out the belly pan. I then installed a plastic fresh water tank (15-20 gallon will fit in place, you can modify the area slightly to put a bigger one in), and plumbed a demand pump into the sytem. I used the original fill fitting with PVC pipe for a filler for the new tank.
Thats is pretty much what we are going to do as well. I figured I could even gain a little extra storage area under the bed once we go to a smaller tank- we will see how it works out.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Old assumptions linger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
My 62 is similar in many ways to yours... however yours is a California model, is that right? Those wheel wells are a direct give away. Here is the thing that stumps me... the toilet and shower are in the Ohio configuration.
Hi 62overlander:

The old assumption that wheel well profiles could always identify the plant where Airstreams were built is no longer correct. It was an early theory that still applies in some situations, but we have since learned from more recent observations that both plants often used the same wheel well profile during the same or adjacent model years. It is no longer a direct give away as there is more overlap than once thought. The VIN tag trumps wheel wells in every case.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
The VIN tag trumps wheel wells in every case.
The same can be said for toilet/tub arrangements.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Well, you learn something new everyday....

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	54291
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Well, you learn something new everyday....
Attachment 54291
I guess we can't all have a hump in our wells
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I feel so odd now with just the straight wheel well. I had always thought it to be streamline and sleek, now it looks freakish to me....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
As Colin would say- "just take some tin snips to it" ..... if you really want a hump in your well
Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
So there is this '61 Overlander on E-bay we were looking at- comparing it to ours. They are identical- then we noticed something odd about ours... the taillights are in a strange position. They are on either side of the rear window- so as to allow room for the spare tire mounts- this must have been custom ordered because there was no evidence of the taillights having been moved. I pulled out all our airstream books and got on the archives and I can't fine another trailer with the lights in the same position. We recently noticed the caravan sticker ghost on the trailer and are now curious if it went on an international caravan- maybe even the round the world caravan? The ghost # is 5057- does anyone have an old directory that would tell us a little more about it? Does anyone know of another trailer with the lights moved up like that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0e89_12.JPG.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	54381  
Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
I noticed this on a few Airstreams myself. I was looking at a 63 Globetrotter and the taillights were on the corner skins next to the center panel. UWE has a 63 where the taillights are also positioned there. I also found a picture in the Vintage Pics site of a Globetrotter with the "outboard" mounted lights. Very few seem to have this taillight location. Yours appear to be mounted higher than the ones I've seen.
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
5. How do we make the funky water purifier work and function properly?
We appreciate any input and suggestions- thanks in advance!
I did get our Ogden Model AL water filter working this weekend. I used the new filter kit from General Ecology and a new large o-ring for the lid. It works great, I couldn't believe it. if you search "Ogden" there are several threads on it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
So we got a little more work done on the '61. It was Andy's birthday yesterday and he chose to spend it playing hooky and working on his trailer (I played hooky also and helped). We got all the removables taken out that we could get out for now. The tub is still giving us a little trouble- we will have another go at it tonight (its been soaking up lube for 24 hours now). There appears to be worm or termite damage to the floor covering the black tank. There was surprisingly little rot it the rear of the trailer- of course we have yet to see under the tub. There is some damage at the door and under the front windows- but the floor it pretty solid (much better than our '67). Our goal is to get the trailer campable for this summer- but next winter she will visit Colin @ GSM for a little more in depth work. So I picked up some off-white paint to cover up the "harvest gold" for now- but we will probably have Colin re zoalatone her in a custom color later. The cabinets have a couple of shelves that need re-placed for this summer- which we will do ourselves- but later will probably pull everything out and re-finish the wood. We are going to order a 28 gallon H20 tank from Inca and will still have room for a pump and other mechanicals under the bed. The fridge and stove just need a good cleaning for use this summer- but I am thinking of changing the brown color later on. Thankfully the PO put new mattresses in her and they are very clean- so thats one thing we don't have to worry about ordering. The gaucho will stay the same for this summer- but next year I am going to have it reupholstered. Also, Colin will widen the depth of the Gaucho by 3 inches (giving you just about a queen bed) and their upholsterer will do two cushions (no bolster underneath) making it easier to convert to a bed. Here are a few pictures of whats going on now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	54679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	54680  

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	54681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	54682  

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	54683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	54684  

Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #35

paint

Nice work!
I repainted my appliances also fromt he same brown you have to a lovely retro looking tourquoise. Just a sugestion for you on that... I used POR-15 engine enamel, as regular paint has a nasty habit of catching fire (or at least bubbling and discoloring) on hot things like stoves. The POR for engines comes in a number of colors, the tourquoise happened to go with the look I was after.

Brian
friel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea
We also have a 1961 Overlander - International - Sante Fee built with the same wheel well arch.

Nice e-bay find 3 streams - great progress too.....all in good time.

We surged forward to get ours roadworthy and then she has taken a back seat to the little 1963 last summer - and is now serving as a temporary storage for all the goodies out of the 99 Excella that has taken the front line even on my little LadyBug this winter.

Love your name '3streams' - must tell the hubby that our next acquisition has to be a newer full funtioning model

We had the same issue with the tub in the GT - no amount of release product would do the trick - we had to resort to cutting the fiberglass snug to the drain flange as it can not be done from underneath. As the gelcoat needs doing anyway, it will be no problem glassing in a new hole for a new drain piece.

Good luck with your restoration.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1961 Overlander Questions

Greetings 3Streams!

In regard to the original dining table and chairs, I can provide a photo of my original drop-leaf dining table that is almost identical in structure to the original that friend's have in a 1960 Overlander that has been in their family since new. My table has been "restored" after a fashion. I preferred a solid oak top as oposed to the original Formica that matched the countertops; and Fowler Interiors did a wonderful job restoring the base and fabricating the new solid oak top utilizing the original top as the pattern (it is exactly the same size in all respects).

In the above, the top is fully extended.

In the photo above, the table is folded ready for travel. There is a factory installed hook on the floor of my coach near the street-side kitchen sink cabinet that accepts a tether rope/bungee that attaches to a similar hook on the bottom of the table.

Coaches equipped with these tables also often had a pair of Leg-O-Matic chairs to supplement the frount lounge for seating at meals. The photos below are of reproductions of the Leg-O-Matic chairs that I purchased from Camping World several years ago (they are no longer in the Camping World catalog). My Overlander has straps built-into the 3/4 wardrobe to secure the folded chairs for travel.

Your Overlander looks like its going to be a Gem in short order!

Kevin
Attached Images

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Wow! What great information on the original table and chairs. We've had our '61 Overlander for two years and I knew from pictures that the PO had the orginal table, so I called him just last week & he shipped it to me. The PO also mentioned about chairs he thought may have come with it new. This is the first time I've seen information & pictures of the chairs. Thanks again, perfect timing for us.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
So there is this '61 Overlander on E-bay we were looking at- comparing it to ours. They are identical- then we noticed something odd about ours... the taillights are in a strange position. They are on either side of the rear window- so as to allow room for the spare tire mounts- this must have been custom ordered because there was no evidence of the taillights having been moved. I pulled out all our airstream books and got on the archives and I can't fine another trailer with the lights in the same position. We recently noticed the caravan sticker ghost on the trailer and are now curious if it went on an international caravan- maybe even the round the world caravan? The ghost # is 5057- does anyone have an old directory that would tell us a little more about it? Does anyone know of another trailer with the lights moved up like that?
I agree that the light position was dictated by the dual spare tire mounts. I have seen at least one other Airstream with lights in that location, but it was a 1957 without any spare tire mounts on the rear bumper (at least not anymore).

I have seen very few photo's of Airstreams with dual spare tire mounts. They are even rare in photo's from the 1959-60 Cape Town to Cairo and 1953-64 Around the World Caravans. It seems on those caravan's that extra spare tires were often carried in the tow vehicle.

OK, now on to your question of whether #5057 was on the Around the World Caravan, I'm afraid the answer is "no". I have been researching this caravan and also the Cape Town to Cairo Caravan, and have participant lists with WBCCI #'s for both. #5057 was not on the Around the World Caravan, but it certainly is a special trailer and may have been on other international caravan's, but unfortunately I do not have the information to be able to help you determine that answer.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Update on our '61 Overlander

I have gotten her interior painted to an of white. It will work for this summer and next winter when we strip her apart to really restore her she will get re-zolatoned. The tub came out and we put another layer of fiberglass on the bottom to reenforce it a little. Andy has gotten the window seals and cranks replaced. We hooked her up this weekend and towed her to GSM for a new axle and some system checks. She didn't leak at all!!!! It poured rain all the way up there and she had leaked like a sieve when we got her.

Here are some pictures...

Tags