Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #281
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
The table fits in the credenza behind the door with the push button release.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

I looked at some of the other Overlanders on this site and there seems to be a significant leaning towards wrap around dinettes. Easy stowing of the table is a great idea.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Hot Water!!!!

The new igniter board arrived yesterday from Precision Temp and took all of 5 minutes to install. Hot water came on right away. What a difference.

It seems like the new heater comes on at a lower flow rate than our 2007 model that we had in the Caravel. The service manual says that it takes 1/2 gallon per minute to get it to light. I thought it was 0.9 before. That's much better for washing dishes and hands.

The problem with the new RV500 was that it had no power to turn on the gas solenoid. Everything else sounded fine up to the expected whoosh when the gas lights. The Fenwal igniter board, the beige board in the back of the electronics drawer had failed. I didn't realize before this week that the electronics drawer slides right out.

I checked into the warranty and -- if I couldn't change the board myself -- the repair would have been very expensive. PT will cover parts and their estimate of the labor cost, but not travel. We were a LONG way from the nearest authorized dealer. I was afraid that I'd have to pull the heater and drive hours to the nearest service, or face a big bill for technician travel.

A multimeter and screwdriver were the only tools necessary. Luckily, the service guy from Precision Temp walked me through the process very patiently. Cost: time and a few days of cold water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv500.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	176466  
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #283
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
... Easy stowing of the table is a great idea...
This table stows in the back of the dinette seat and is just a flat panel, easy to build. Plus, you can have the full sized table and a maskeshift bed, too.

Zep
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
This table stows in the back of the dinette seat and is just a flat panel, easy to build. Plus, you can have the full sized table and a maskeshift bed, too.

Zep
Great link, thanks. I missed that thread somehow.

John
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #285
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Here's my thoughts on the whole gaucho vs dinette.... I don't find dinettes to be comfortable, I want a couch to lounge on and if I need to put a table up to play cards or a tray to eat that's fine. I eat for far less time than I would spend say reading a book or watching TV or reading the forums!

I stayed in a Silver Streak at the resto rally in NM and really liked the front lounge.... I am thinking that this combined with the 50’s era table would work for us and we'll be able to move the table outside in good weather ...dual use!

Some pictures here.....

'74 Silver Streak
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #286
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Here's my thoughts on the whole gaucho vs dinette.... I don't find dinettes to be comfortable, I want a couch to lounge on ...
If you design your dinette right, you can lounge sideways on the benches, just like a couch. One thing that can make a dinette way more comfortable is to have the option for a short table (for 2). This makes for a easy place to sit, without the table in the way, and still provide a place to eat, put a drink, etc. As a matter of fact, the Overlander has both a long and short table and we have never even put the long one up.

I admit, however, that you're not going to be spooning on a dinette bench.

Zep
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the input on designs. We're sitting at our uncomfortable card table and chairs envisioning what would work best. Comfort is number one on the priority list.

Since we tend to go away for 2 straight months in the winter, we want to be sure we can live nearly full time with our final version.

With craft and knitting projects constantly underway, M needs a good table surface. I do a lot on the laptop and also need table space. We also need to decide on the right spot for a TV, which will most likely end up by the fridge.

I've attached a pic of our Caravel dinette. It worked relatively well for us, but the angle of the back cushion needed work and we could have used more storage.

We won't have as much room as Zep has -- our Overlander is a foot shorter and we plan to extend the galley about 2 feet to house an A/C, Toastie style. The extended galley will encroach on a long L-shape lounge, making it a bit more of a design challenge.

All these options make this a good problem to have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tw_gaucho.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	176549  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #288
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
If you design your dinette right, you can lounge sideways on the benches, just like a couch. One thing that can make a dinette way more comfortable is to have the option for a short table (for 2)....

Zep
That's pretty much what we are doing. The table is a single post mount so it rotates. Being 28" x 42", spinning it results in a short/wide or a long/skinny.

The cushions are reconfigurable to make back rests for lounging long-ways on the sides. I actually started to make the seat bottom corners lift up to form back rests but in practicality, we didn't need that feature.

We hope to have the upholstery done next week and give it a shot...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Thanks for all the input on designs. We're sitting at our uncomfortable card table and chairs envisioning what would work best. Comfort is number one on the priority list.
You should head to IKEA (I assume Austin has one?) and get a pair of Poang chairs for the next few weeks. Cheap, comfy - and they don't take up much space in the landfill if you don't want to bring them back.

One more thing - we also found that it's wonderful to have free floor space against the wall under the front curbside window. Place to stack stuff when loading, makes interior feel more open. Our lounge has a shelf behind it beneath the window (complete with a bin that houses all of J's yarn supplies) and a wide "arm" at the curbside for books/drinks. In other words, you can carve out some horizontal surfaces here and there...

Tom
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #290
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
You should head to IKEA (I assume Austin has one?) and get a pair of Poang chairs for the next few weeks. Cheap, comfy - and they don't take up much space in the landfill if you don't want to bring them back.

One more thing - we also found that it's wonderful to have free floor space against the wall under the front curbside window. Place to stack stuff when loading, makes interior feel more open. Our lounge has a shelf behind it beneath the window (complete with a bin that houses all of J's yarn supplies) and a wide "arm" at the curbside for books/drinks. In other words, you can carve out some horizontal surfaces here and there...

Tom
Tom,

I ended up getting a foam cushion for the chair and we're spending more time outside now that the weather is MUCH warmer.

I like your idea about a bin for yarn supplies. M has been spending a bit of time taking the free lessons at Hill Country Weavers. She raves about the place -- another good reason to get J down here.

I agree -- horizontal surfaces are at a premium in our trailers!

John
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
It's incredible how many vintage trailers have been and continue to be converted into food trailers in Austin. Some good restaurants add to their brick and mortar offerings with trailer food, while others apparently are making the transition from trailer to brick. Two of our favorite spots are the whole South Congress food court (the cupcakes are way too good!) and Spartan Pizza on 6th. Pretty nice trailers too.

No real work is happening on the Overlander. Spending more time on Lady Bird Lake trail, trying to work off the good food. Weather is terrific.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cupcake.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	177174   Click image for larger version

Name:	spartan.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	177175  

Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #292
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Good food and yarn?!? If we didn't have a trip booked to St. Pete already...

Tom
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #293
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Sputnik is back in place in the backyard. We managed to break up enough rock-solid snow to get it barely inside the fence, then in place between snowstorms. It should be VERY worth it next week, assuming all goes well with the delivery of our next grandchild.

Work will be on hold for a while, taking care of family and house. In the meantime, we'll try to remember those Florida sunsets. It's days like this that make all the work worth it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	captiva_heron.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	180929  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Here's my thoughts on the whole gaucho vs dinette.... I don't find dinettes to be comfortable, I want a couch to lounge on and if I need to put a table up to play cards or a tray to eat that's fine. I eat for far less time than I would spend say reading a book or watching TV or reading the forums!

I stayed in a Silver Streak at the resto rally in NM and really liked the front lounge.... I am thinking that this combined with the 50’s era table would work for us and we'll be able to move the table outside in good weather ...dual use!

Some pictures here.....

'74 Silver Streak
I really dislike both the look, and feel, of a gaucho. And for our family of 2 adults and 2 small kiddos, I just don't think it would be practical. As Zep has mentioned, dinettes can be made to be comfortable, and if you drop the table you can turn it into a big bed and lounge all you want, with enough room for the whole family!

I'm beginning the design phase for the front half of my trailer, and I'm pretty well set on creating a modular U-shaped dinette with a table that drops easily into the "pit" to become a (roughly) queen size front bed. The table will be easy to drop and lift (I've seen hydraulic lifts in marine dinettes that would likely work, as well as a few Forums members who have done similar). That will become the main sleeping area for my wife and me, and the kids can move to the midships twins. It'll take a bit of extra time to convert the bed to a dinette during day use and then back into bed form later, but it's no different than the amount of work we're doing currently, switching Superbed from a giant King+ back to twins/couches for day use.

But because I've grown to love the big open front salon area in certain applications (like tailgate parties), I'm also going to make the entire dinette modular and easily removable. I'm imagining some sturdy clamps that flip over lower frame rails on some modular seat/bench-sized pieces, and through-bolts that hold it all in place. That way each piece can be installed and removed coming through the front door, and I can pick and choose which pieces I have in place for any given application. Hopefully more to come next winter!

John-- So very sorry I missed y'all when you were in Austin, work was extremely busy and I had much more travel than usual from December-February. But PLEASE do drop me a line next time you're in town and the Shiner Bock will be my treat! By then, you'll have a finished trailer to show me no doubt, and perhaps I will, in turn!

Take Care!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

... Hopefully more to come next winter!

John-- So very sorry I missed y'all when you were in Austin, work was extremely busy and I had much more travel than usual from December-February. But PLEASE do drop me a line next time you're in town and the Shiner Bock will be my treat! By then, you'll have a finished trailer to show me no doubt, and perhaps I will, in turn!

Take Care!
-Marcus
Marcus -

Thanks for putting the offer of a beer in writing -- we'll definitely take you up on it. I look forward to seeing your design. Since I hope to get a head start on the front end of the trailer this summer, I'll be watching your thread for clues on your design.

John
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
My son's father-in-law is a prolific painter. Based on a picture we took on the shores of the Mississippi in January, he painted this (see post 269 in this thread). He may have taken a few liberties with the time of year -- adding leaves and sailboats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	painting.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	181053  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thats a cool painting!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #298
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Definitely, what a cool painting and nice gesture. I also really like the aluminum-like frame, with its rivet-head detail. Are those bucked, or did someone spend a lot of time with a rivet shaver?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #299
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Definitely, what a cool painting and nice gesture. I also really like the aluminum-like frame, with its rivet-head detail. Are those bucked, or did someone spend a lot of time with a rivet shaver?
LOL!

Should have stayed in Austin. Rumor has it that Spring is scheduled to start tomorrow -- right!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spring_huh.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	181375  
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #300
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
LOL!

Should have stayed in Austin. Rumor has it that Spring is scheduled to start tomorrow -- right!
High was 87 at my house yesterday afternoon, wish you were here!

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander