Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Broken Light Shade

Here's a picture of the broken light shade. Does anyone know what material they are made of? Has anyone repaired or replaced one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_shade.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	155179  
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Missing Stove Parts

The Princess Stove hasn't been tested, but we'd like to restore it too. We're missing two parts -- the vented cover behind the knobs and the sliding hinge and top that covers the stovetop. Is anyone parting out a stove?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	missing_stove_parts.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	155180  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Last Question of the Day

We have an intact gaucho base, much of it recovered from out in the rain, so it will have to be fully rebuilt. We don't have the cushions. Does anyone have the measurements of the original cushions? Am I correct to assume that the back probably had a piece of masonite to stiffen it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gaucho_slide.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	155181  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #64
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Here's a picture of the broken light shade. Does anyone know what material they are made of? Has anyone repaired or replaced one?
Hi John,
The material is likely polycarbonate (lexan). If you disassemble the the diffuser, you should be able to get the endcaps off in one piece by cutting & diligent grinding. The curved part can be recreated by "drape forming" over a mold. These are identical to the lamps on my 59 Ambassador International.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV
Hey John
Let me know what you find out about the lamp shades, I need just about all of mine replaced. Somewhere along the line the PO replaced the light bulbs and the melted the shades.
Looking good.take care of that arm!
Thanks
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #66
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
We have an intact gaucho base, much of it recovered from out in the rain, so it will have to be fully rebuilt. We don't have the cushions. Does anyone have the measurements of the original cushions? Am I correct to assume that the back probably had a piece of masonite to stiffen it?
Hi John,
I have assorted old gaucho cushions around my shop, so if you're going with the original design, this isn't a problem. Keep in mind though that the original gaucho was only 47" wide when it was deployed. I have done a bunch of mods to these gauchos that allow it to open to 58" wide & still look very original when its in its couch mode. It makes a huge difference to your sleeping comfort
Thanks,
Colin
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Hi John,
The material is likely polycarbonate (lexan). If you disassemble the the diffuser, you should be able to get the endcaps off in one piece by cutting & diligent grinding. The curved part can be recreated by "drape forming" over a mold. These are identical to the lamps on my 59 Ambassador International.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin,

Good idea on the lexan, thanks. I'll try it out and -- if I can make it work -- will take pics for desertair27.

I hope you don't mind me crawling around and taking a bunch of gaucho measurements when we bring the Overlander up for the Rotisserie resto. 99% of the time, the gaucho will be used as a couch, so our primary goal is comfort in the evening. We plan to use the twin beds for sleeping, either stealing Marcus' superbed idea or putting slides in to accomplish the same.

John
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Hey John
Looking good.take care of that arm!
Thanks
Mike
Thanks, Mike.

Frustrating that I can't turn those old flat head screws that hold in the furniture. They definitely need more than one good arm! I'd rather be doing interior disassembly, but can't do much for another two weeks. Seems like polishing is the easiest on the arm -- I can guide the polisher as I handle most of the weight with my good arm.

Didn't think that I'd end up with a "Polished Turd", but we're heading there fast.

John
Old 04-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I made new diffusers for my light. I got the idea from another forum member. They came out looking like new from the factory. I bought the material at lowes because it was flexible. I also put a heat gun to the material right before I installed them so they would not crack.

Check out my link because I took pics.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...-70006-23.html

Brian
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I made all new diffusers.]

Brian
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I made new diffusers for my light. I got the idea from another forum member. They came out looking like new from the factory. I bought the material at lowes because it was flexible. I also put a heat gun to the material right before I installed them so they would not crack.

Check out my link because I took pics.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...-70006-23.html

Brian
Thanks, Brian. I'll check out the Duralens Prismatic White at Lowe's next time I'm there. Based on Mike's comment, I may stock up on 60 watt incandescent bulbs too.

That's encouraging. I definitely want to save the lights. With the shelf on top, metal grating that matches the rest of the decor and the choice of 12v or 110v bulbs, they are high on the list of keepers.

Happy Easter,
John
Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I noticed you stripped the inside paint off. You might want to consider getting your galley cabinet powder coated.

Brian

Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
We plan to use the twin beds for sleeping, either stealing Marcus' superbed idea or putting slides in to accomplish the same.

John
I can't tell you how much we love Superbed. It makes really functional couches and a nice lounge area for adults when in twin bed mode, and when deployed it's fantastic to sleep on.

But the absolute best thing we've discovered is that when it's raining or other foul weather, it's perfect for all of the kids to hang out on and watch movies on the TV. We camp with some people who have much newer rigs, one's a brand new SOB with a huge slideout and another is an extremely nice bus-style motorhome. But when the weather's bad, we've found that all the kids tend to come to our Airstream to hang out on Superbed. I bet your grandkids would love it if you decided to go that direction.

It's a bit of work to make each evening and unmake each morning, but not more than 3-4 minutes really. And when I'm camping, I'm not counting the minutes that's for sure!

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I noticed you stripped the inside paint off. You might want to consider getting your galley cabinet powder coated.

Brian
Brian,

I've seen all the powder coating you have done in your thread and it looks good.

Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain in the future on powder coating. That young fellow that you recommend looks like he does it well. We haven't stripped paint yet, so I don't know the condition of things under the 3 or more layers that remain.

John
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
More grandchildren

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I can't tell you how much we love Superbed.
I bet your grandkids would love it if you decided to go that direction.
-Marcus
As of yesterday, it's officially "grandchildren". Our granddaughter showed up to the family Easter celebration wearing a "Big Sister" shirt. No-one noticed for about 2 minutes, then the screaming started.

Looks like refurbishing that tub and making the Superbed are a must.

John
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Grover Compressor

What remained of the gaucho, the aluminum pressure tank and Grover Compressor are out. The inside of the tank doesn't look bad -- needs a mild acid cleaning, but should be OK.

I pulled apart the compressor to clean it up. I couldn't find a picture of the guts on the forums, so I took one. It's a really simple design!

Motor is on the left, piston in the center and housing is on the right. To the right of the housing, from top to bottom are the check valve, filter (felt) and plug.

If someone needs dock in the future, markdoane posted the single page documentation here.

I hope to get a good pressure test tomorrow.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grover.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	155561  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #77
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
What remained of the gaucho, the aluminum pressure tank and Grover Compressor are out. The inside of the tank doesn't look bad -- needs a mild acid cleaning, but should be OK.

I pulled apart the compressor to clean it up. I couldn't find a picture of the guts on the forums, so I took one. It's a really simple design!

Motor is on the left, piston in the center and housing is on the right. To the right of the housing, from top to bottom are the check valve, filter (felt) and plug.

If someone needs dock in the future, markdoane posted the single page documentation here.

I hope to get a good pressure test tomorrow.

John
I'm still using the compressor like yours & the pressure system in my 59. Keep in mind that the aluminum tanks corrode out from the inside, I'm on my second one . Look at the bottom of the tank for small dots of corrosion & try poking at them with an awl. You might be surprised at what you find.
Colin
Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Ugh. Trailer restorers and their punch awls. No good can come of this.

Sounds like congratulations are in order and the addition of a grandchild! Break out the cigars and raise a glass!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #79
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
[QUOTE=utee94;1132797]Ugh. Trailer restorers and their punch awls. No good can come of this.

Ah come on Better to know your water tank has potential for leaks before you re-install it in your restored trailer, then to have the floor rot out again.
Colin
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good news, bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Better to know your water tank has potential for leaks before you re-install it in your restored trailer, then to have the floor rot out again.
Colin
Good news:
I read this right before going out with the awl and pressed a bit harder than I would have otherwise. I though for sure that I'd poke a hole in the tank, but it held up well. That little Grover Compressor works fine.

Bad news:
It leaks at the weld at the water supply fitting. Have to repair that before putting more than a few pounds of pressure on the tank.

John

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander