Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #221
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
It does look good! Even on an Iphone How many gallons?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Final coat was a little over 1/2 gallon. It may need a little more when we see it in the morning light. Base epoxy primer was about a gallon, base color of a sorta-beige was almost two gallons.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
That looks great. I was not brave enough to try mixing colors on the Zolatone. That stuff is expensive!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #224
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
That looks great. I was not brave enough to try mixing colors on the Zolatone. That stuff is expensive!
I had a private lesson in the back room of a little shop in Plattsburgh, NY. Wouldn't have gambled like that on my own. Even with all that support, I was still nervous!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #225
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
I had a private lesson in the back room of a little shop in Plattsburgh, NY. Wouldn't have gambled like that on my own. Even with all that support, I was still nervous!
John,
Send some "close ups"..................I'm curious
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV
Weather didn't cooperate over the weekend, so we didn't shoot the Zolatone until tonight. With two heaters, we were able to preheat the trailer to 80 degrees before spraying.

I have a good friend who loaned me his fresh air respirator and gave me lessons on good spraying technique. He was here tonight as I did the first coat and couldn't resist spraying some himself. It was actually fun.

I have to admit that I was nervous spraying the Zolatone ourselves, but it turned out to be very forgiving. It looks really good. We did have a couple of spots with too much spray, but hopefully those spots will be behind cabinets. Rookie mistakes.

The vast majority looks nice and even. It took all of an hour or so to spray.

The fresh air respirator was key to being able to spray in 30-ish weather. We didn't have to flow a lot of air through the trailer, just to the person inside. This allowed it to stay much warmer, allowing the paint to cure. We do have a small amount of fresh air flowing, but not much. We're expecting warmer weather for the next two days so that we can bake all the fumes out.

Here is the mix of highlight colors -- red, blue and desert camo -- before being added to a gallon of Camille White. It looked very strange, but works.

I took one finished pic in the dark with the iPhone. Doesn't show the color well, but does show that things were pretty well distributed.

Big relief having this done! Rear bath time tomorrow.
Looks really nice. Does it require special paint equipment to shoot zolatone?
It looks like the colors you added give it a speckled look and is an original feature.
Good job!
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Looks really nice. Does it require special paint equipment to shoot zolatone?
It looks like the colors you added give it a speckled look and is an original feature.
Good job!
Mike
Thanks, Mike.

The Harbor Freight Gun was the cheapest part of the whole job. The pressure regulator on it was worthless, but the one on my air compressor regulated it well. DEFINITELY practice on a big piece of cardboard outside the trailer before you start. It's very easy to put a huge glob in one spot.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
John,
Send some "close ups"..................I'm curious
Colin
Here's a daytime shot. It's hard to pick up the reds and blues, but it should give you a good idea. It has a slightly brighter feel than the Kimberly Clark trailer you showed us.

I'll try to take another if the sun ever comes out around here again.

Thanks again for all your tips!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	174870  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
The big drawback of Zolatone is the SMELL !! It is too ripe in there today to work without a mask. If I keep it at 65 degrees or more, does anyone know how long it will take to get rid of the odor?

With the mask on, I installed the tub supports and cleco'ed the tub in place. It was a little bit of a squeeze, putting some stress on the one rivet that cracked before we bought the trailer. I had glassed in some extra support, but might redrill that hole to lower the stress. The lavanette, as they called the vanity in the day, fits well and has a new stainless sink. The repaired black tank is on the lower left. With the trailer away from home, I purposely oversized the cover and will have to belt sand it to fit snugly. Then we'll be ready to drill holes exactly as needed for the drain system.

Kathy was asking about how the valving fits. My job is to get the 1 1/2" piping to join the appropriate small Valterra valve on the attached assembly. The left side is the 3" valve that will attach to the rebuilt black tank, facing up is the 1 1/2" valving to accept the grey tank line and the cap is at the 5" mark. Notice that the whole system -- with the exception of the last inch for attaching the stinky slinky -- fits in barely more than 4" of space, so we should be able to get the last inch to be the only protrusion from the belly pan.

Off to the big box store tomorrow. Weather will be the warmest here between now and the time we head south. I plan to blast heaters to drive off the smell tomorrow and wrap up the under-belly plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bath_trial_fit.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	174872   Click image for larger version

Name:	valving.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	174873  

Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #230
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
[QUOTE=65CV;1239496]The big drawback of Zolatone is the SMELL !! It is too ripe in there today to work without a mask. If I keep it at 65 degrees or more, does anyone know how long it will take to get rid of the odor?

John,
You might want to try running your Fantastic fans all night with the windows open. That should remove everything, but the "new trailer smell".
Colin
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Colin H;1239575]
Quote:
The big drawback of Zolatone is the SMELL !! It is too ripe in there today to work without a mask. If I keep it at 65 degrees or more, does anyone know how long it will take to get rid of the odor?

John,
You might want to try running your Fantastic fans all night with the windows open. That should remove everything, but the "new trailer smell".
Colin
Baked it overnight with two heaters and opened up everything during the day today. Warmest day we'll see for the rest of the year, so the timing was good. Smell was dramatically better by the end of the day. I'm curious to see what it's like in the morning. I'm leaving a heater on overnight to continue curing.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Finished the underbelly plumbing in the good weather today. Almost finished by dark -- mainly because I couldn't start until about 1:00.

The first pic is the one Kathy was asking about. The furthest point is the original bath trap, connected to 1 1/2" threaded pvc connector. The vanity sink drain comes in from the left. It's hard to see, but coming in from the right is the grey tank drain. I connected the tub and vanity with a hard tee and tied in the grey drain, the two aft bath lines and the line to the grey dump valve with the Fernco fitting. The Fernco fitting is the black rubber one with hose clamps. The grey valve comes into a tee at the base of the black tank, it has the silver handle coming out of it. The dump cap is hanging down. The black valve is right up against the bottom of the floor, siliconed and bolted to the black tank flange I made.

The last pic is blurry, but shows how little of the plumbing shows -- when the cap is on the dump fitting, that's all that's visible.

Reed from CHTR gave me all the parts and a drawing on how to tie it together. Once the bath and vanity drains were placed and drilled, it went together like a kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plumbing_down_under.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	174885   Click image for larger version

Name:	black_connection.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	174886  

Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #233
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
Excellent pictures, again! I was at the RV parts place on Monday looking at valves; hoping mine will turn out exactly like yours.

No work on the trailer this week as I am currently in PA packing up college daughter #2's apartment (she's heading abroad for spring semester) and preparing to drive west into Winter Storm Draco..had hoped to detour through Jackson Center on the way home but the weather is probably going to nix that as it's normally a 28 hour drive at 80 mph on DRY roads and we are going to try to make it home by Christmas....
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #234
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Finished the underbelly plumbing in the good weather today. Almost finished by dark -- mainly because I couldn't start until about 1:00.

The first pic is the one Kathy was asking about. The furthest point is the original bath trap, connected to 1 1/2" threaded pvc connector. The vanity sink drain comes in from the left. It's hard to see, but coming in from the right is the grey tank drain. I connected the tub and vanity with a hard tee and tied in the grey drain, the two aft bath lines and the line to the grey dump valve with the Fernco fitting. The Fernco fitting is the black rubber one with hose clamps. The grey valve comes into a tee at the base of the black tank, it has the silver handle coming out of it. The dump cap is hanging down. The black valve is right up against the bottom of the floor, siliconed and bolted to the black tank flange I made.

The last pic is blurry, but shows how little of the plumbing shows -- when the cap is on the dump fitting, that's all that's visible.

Reed from CHTR gave me all the parts and a drawing on how to tie it together. Once the bath and vanity drains were placed and drilled, it went together like a kit.
Wow, that is a very nice and clean install. You planned that out well. I ended up with a bunch of exposed plumbing under the belly pan just hanging their waiting to get ripped off if I run over any road debris.

Nice work John.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #235
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Wow, that is a very nice and clean install. You planned that out well. I ended up with a bunch of exposed plumbing under the belly pan just hanging their waiting to get ripped off if I run over any road debris.

Nice work John.
We do it this way on all of our restorations. I've never liked the lines of a trailer when "crap" (pardon the pun) hangs below, not to mention what might happen if you hit something.
Colin
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:

Nice work John.
Thanks, Norm, but I have to give kudos to Colin yet again. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work like this on the Caravel, but I had the same result -- exposed plumbing. It was only a couple of inches, but it bothered me.

When I first looked at it, I thought I'd have to work around the middle support and bought a bunch of 45 and 90's in 1.5" PVC, but didn't need them. The interesting thing is that it worked perfectly right by that support, in line with the original 1959 locations for the shower and black tank.

They were perfectly aligned -- almost like the link was planned.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN View Post
Excellent pictures, again! I was at the RV parts place on Monday looking at valves; hoping mine will turn out exactly like yours.

No work on the trailer this week as I am currently in PA packing up college daughter #2's apartment (she's heading abroad for spring semester) and preparing to drive west into Winter Storm Draco..had hoped to detour through Jackson Center on the way home but the weather is probably going to nix that as it's normally a 28 hour drive at 80 mph on DRY roads and we are going to try to make it home by Christmas....
Kathy,

Good luck making it home for Christmas.

Christmas isn't Christmas around here. We are all putting up flags at half staff and very few of us are putting up more lights. Newtown is a small town in a small state and we are all discovering that there are too few degrees of separation between ourselves and those affected. I've never seen more flags flying here -- and all appropriately at height.

John
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
The smell from the Zolatone continues to drop dramatically, but there is still some residue. I assume that it is due to the fact that we are spraying in a New England winter. With reasonable temps outside, I changed plans and installed the RV500 instead. I finished most of the rivets, but was short a few Olympic Rivets.

A restoration thread is not a restoration thread without a lot of Clecos.

Back to furniture installation tomorrow.

I did buck all the rivets that I could, given any interference from the inner skin. And yes, I did remove the blue plastic protective covering before installing any rivets. I hear that's not always done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cleco_rv500.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	174951  
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
And yes, I did remove the blue plastic protective covering before installing any rivets. I hear that's not always done.
LOL. The remaining plastic under the interior rivets in my trailer gives me something to do if we get bored on camping trips...

Stay dry today.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Olympic Rivets.
A restoration thread is not a restoration thread without a lot of Clecos.
Back to furniture installation tomorrow.
Clecos are snapping in place, rivets bucked and shaved, paint is drying and furniture is returning to its original setting. Santas workshop has nothing over you right now. Looking good!

thanks for the progress reports.

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1959, 1959 overlander