Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Pacer > 1958 Pacer
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs up New Springs On 1958 Pacer

In the Axle thread a while back I got a lot of help in finding wheel bearing parts to fix up my bearings before going on a trip.

At the time the mechanics were packing the bearings they informed me that both top leafs of the axle springs were broken and proceeded to show them to me. Sure enough they were both broken. When I got back from my trip I decided to see about getting them fixed.

I took the Pacer to Dunbar Spring in Phoenix and they looked at them and said yes, they could replace the top springs and up size them as requested.

To make a long story short, when the springs were removed to make the repair they discovered that the under springs were rusted and beyond use. (I frequently drive through creeks and rivers )

They then manufactured new springs, shackles, U-bolts and bushings for the Pacer. I am quite happy with the outcome. The spring thickness was up-sized to meet the projected load requirements based on the information I gave them.

See the pictures below. Unfortunately I did not take before pictures but trust me both shackles were resting on the underside of the frame.

AZP
Ariz-Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Very nice. A question....if you do use it in as remote conditions as you say...did you consider mounting the axle below the springs for extra ground clearance?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Very nice. A question....if you do use it in as remote conditions as you say...did you consider mounting the axle below the springs for extra ground clearance?
Yeah, how about that? Because I am thinking of doing the same thing for my '59 Pacer -- swapping the reverse drop to make it a regular drop. It looks like it should be pretty straightforward. I would just buy some new shackles/ U-bolts in advance because I'm pretty sure they would be impossible to unthread. Other item would be adding shocks.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Phoenix , Arizona
New Springs On 1958 Pacer.......

Quote:
At the time I was getting it fixed I just wanted it repaired and did not consider that. This Pacer has been on more 4 Wheel trails than most 4 wheel drive vehicles. Since it made it for the first 53 years this way, I reckon it's now good for the next 53 years.

It just trails so good that I would be afraid of messing with it now. The worst thing about the Pacer is that it pulls so easily that you sometimes forget you are pulling it.

AZP
Ariz-Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Interesting, I just had to come back to this thread as I discovered this little item at RV surplus...

They also apparently have 3000# 4 leaf 25" springs.

Just saying...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1958, 1958 pacer