Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Rate this Entry

1950 Liner "Weeble" - Frame painted, wheel wells welded and floor cut

Posted 08-18-2017 at 09:20 PM by Bowmans

Since the last post, we put two coats of POR15 on the frame and painted the tongue, step and rear tube with silver and clear coat. We also squeezed it in to the shop.

Next step was to make new wheel wells. Starting with an 18 gauge steel sheet, we cut out the top and clamped it in a curve shape on a board. Playing with the shape some to get the right arch was fun.

Then we took the clamped shape and drew the curved sides and cut them out. To make bends for mounting to the frame, I just clamped the sheet in between two pieces of angle steel and with a block of wood, hammered them to the right angles.

Then we cut notches in the sides and bent them at 90 degrees. These tabs will make a sturdy mount to weld the pieces together.

Next step was to weld the pieces together. So as not to warp the thin sheets, we tack welded the whole thing inside and out. Basically started by tack welding to hold the pieces together, then tacked every three inches, then in between those tack, etc. until the whole thing was welded. This made sure not one spot got too hot.

We ground down the welds on the side to the interior of the camper just to smooth it off some. Here is a photo of both wheel wells in place.

The wheel wells were then coated in POR15, two coats, and then eventually sprayed in silver and clear coated. Before we did the finish coats on the wheel wells, we cut out the floor. We cut out the widths and left the ends square just to get each piece to fit together and line up square. In the photo, you can also see the wheel wells coated in POR15 fir in place.

The floor in the 1950 was too far gone to get a good template so I had to go with plan B. That was to use a Sharpee marker and grid out the curved ends. We marked every 6 inches both vertically and horizontally and measured from a center line to the sides for horizontal and the plywood seam to the back/front for the vertical. Then transferred the measurements to the new floor. Here is my cardboard markups for one side. Did the same for both sides, then for each 6 inch mark from center, added them together and divided by two so the curve would be even. With the original floor so far gone, the curves have moved around some.

The final floor turned out pretty good. The circumference measurement on each end, length and widths matches the outer wall on the camper so I am fairly sure the shell will fit (fingers crossed).

Next step is to make the black and gray tanks.
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2


  1. Old Comment
    Silverback01's Avatar
    What's the update?
    Posted 03-24-2018 at 08:02 PM by Silverback01 Silverback01 is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Bowmans's Avatar
    I have been meaning to post updates but got a replacement PC and the photo editing software/FTP haven't been set up. We are going shell off and back on the new frame next weekend if the weather holds. I just finished framing up the shell and prepping this weekend.
    Posted 03-25-2018 at 01:49 PM by Bowmans Bowmans is offline

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.