Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Blogs > 64TrotterAtl
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

1. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #13 (DEXTER AXLE is the best)

I am not sure if you need to order reverse mounting brackets. If I were you, I would call Dexter and ask them to run the computer program ProSpec, which will give you alot of useful information such as ground clearance, tire to wheel well height, center of spindle to round height. It all depends on what you want, I wanted alot of ground clearance for boon-docking in the middle of the woods. Ask for Connie and she will point you in the right direction. I think I spoke with Christine who is the design engineer.
  2. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #13 (DEXTER AXLE is the best)

So if we were to order dexters am I correct in saying we must specify a 45degree down angle and they we need high porfile brackets? I also read here on the forums that you must ask for reverse mounting brackets, is that how you ordered them? We are getting ready to order and need to know what we need.
  3. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #12 ctnd.

I upload my photos to photobucket then copy the direct link, then when I want to add a photo in a post I click on the yellow mountains icon (insert image) above the post and paste my direct link from photo bucket. Doing it this way there should be no limit to the number you can upload here.
  4. Old Comment
  5. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #10

Is it ok if I am just a little jealous?
  6. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #10

Looking nice~!
  7. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #7

I did not end up usin the self tapping screws, rather elevator bolts, over 60 of them in all. Thanks for the comments, Andrew
  8. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #7

your progress is very impressive. I like everything I see. I do want to offer a word of caution about the self tapping screws. Do not rely on them to hold the floor down. That is what the elevator bolts are for. The screws will work them selves loose as she goes down the road and it will be a problem. Keep going, godspeed.
    Posted 09-11-2008 at 07:17 AM by Frank's Trailer Works Frank's Trailer Works is offline
  9. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #7

Hi,
    I am in the process of restoring my 1967 Land Yacht and your project looks a lot like what I have in my driveway. I am looking for a good treatment for the frame so as to get rid of the rust and seal the frame so I can spray foam the frame. I have to do a littl e welding myself and move some things around to fit what My wife has in mind for the lay out of the interior. Was the shell heavy to lift off of the frame? or did you have to use jacks? I haven't decided to do this yet but I am thinking about it. I think it would be a bad idea since I live in Iowa and winter is coming on. Have you thought of what you will insulate the frame with? I am going to use a spray foam that is made from soy bean oil. It cost about $235 for a two part system that comes fully ready to use. It covers about 250 cu. ft. I might need more for the floor area but I also intend to spray the walls after they are ready with all new electric wiring. Your project looks great hope to see more of the project and good luck.

Rusty
    Posted 09-10-2008 at 03:33 PM by
  10. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #7

Hi,
    congratulations for what you do ... i envy you to know and to do all that work for a restauration... I know it's not easy to do something on a vintage trailer but all repairing and starting from zero is , certainly worse...
    Courage !

Bruno.
  11. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #5

You are amazing! I can't believe how quickly this project is going. Great work Andrew. I am so happy for you. I am enjoying watching your progress and can't wait to see the finished product. Glad too that the black stuff if coming off your hands quicker than two weeks my favorite Pig Pen!
    I am looking forward to the day I get to travel in it with you. Have fun with it my love! Peace, Rosemary
  12. Old Comment

64 GT Restoration #4

Wow, that looks great. Keep up the great work with your restoration blog. It's eally cool and useful to see your project step by step.

Let us know how long the Por-15 remains as a second skin!
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.