Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The Superbright LED's are brighter than the ones Lewster was selling in the past. If you want more light, that's good, if you want softer light, not so good. The G4's with the rear pins for the task (reading) lights in our Safari do not fit well, but by taking things apart, I was able to get them plugged in.

Airstream is now selling them at the store in JC and the prices are lower than Superbright's.

Gene
Not sure if you had the same problem I did with the reading lights.

Our bedroom reading lights are puck lights with side pins, and the leds I bought from superbrightleds plugged right in.

The swivel reading light over the sofa however required back pins. Whe I looked at the design of the reflector, I figured the round circuit board of the led's would hit the reflector before the pins went into the socket - and that is exactly what happened.

All I did was to find some stiff solid wire of close to the same size as the pins and solder extensions on - about 1/2" long. I clamped a
hemostat at the base of the original pin so as not to transmit too much heat to the circuit board when soldering.

Seems to have worked fine and the back connection led's now fit the lounge reading lights without any problem.

Brian.

PS - have you tried the bulbs that JC are selling for the chandelier fixture over the dinette or the ones that replace the flourescent fixtures on the ceiling? I guess those will be my next project, I like led's!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Sorry CrawfordGene but the prices at Airstream are CONSIDERABLY higher than SuperBrightLeds and just about every other site where I've checked LED prices. Was at JC in late Sept and noted the prices then. Guess it is barely possible Airstream lowered their prices since I was there but to find them lower than anybody on anything is so rare I'd have to see it to believe it.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Sorry CrawfordGene but the prices at Airstream are CONSIDERABLY higher than SuperBrightLeds and just about every other site where I've checked LED prices. Was at JC in late Sept and noted the prices then.
Fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Guess it is barely possible Airstream lowered their prices since I was there but to find them lower than anybody on anything is so rare I'd have to see it to believe it.

Airstream store 8-LED G-4 https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=357

Superbright 10-LED G-4 Product Listing - MR16

Always good to save a buck or two.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #184
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The ceiling lamps in our Safari at Airstream were lower priced than I paid from Superbright—the display was for LED's—these are side pin G4's. I know it's unbelievable. It's a different configuration than the ones I have—fewer bulbs, but I don't know how bright they are or the quality.

'geezer, I had the same problem with the task or reading lamps. I removed the fixture from the ceiling to loosen the wires and pushed the reflector and the pin socket out of the housing and separated them. There are 2 small screws holding the socket to the fixture housing together; I had removed them and did not replace them. I could then push the bulb into the socket, push the assembly against the reflector, push the wires back into the ceiling, and put the whole thing together. I recall that if I disconnected the wires, I might have figured out a way to put the screws back in, but didn't do that. So the bulb and socket is loose in the fixture, but can't move much once the lens was replaced. Since the LED's aren't as hot as the halogens, this shouldn't cause any harm. I've traveled about 1,550 miles since and no problems. If I were more ambitious, I'd take the brighter LED's from the bedroom and put them over the dinette where we do most of the reading, and put the less bright ones in the bedroom.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
For those who really want to change over all those G4 halogens I suggest this link for the best price:
LED Lights : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post

Thanks Msmoto. Updated! One more LED between ODMRV and Superbright is it worth the extra couple of bucks...

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #187
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I looked at the LED for the recessed ceiling lights at Airstream. They are $11.95 and quite bright. They have a slightly brighter one, but no price on it. No idea of the quality.

Gene
Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
LED Display At JC

Sorry just too late to read this entire thread to see if this has been mentioned.

There is now a display at the factory that shows several of the current light fixtures. There are three sides. Front shows the OEM fixtures and bulbs, the other two sides the same fixtures with different types of LED's for replacement from the factory. Set-up includes switches so you can compare the different applications.

I will be going back to pick up the 'stream Friday will try to take a photo of the display.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #189
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Bright White vs Warm White

There seems to be a little confusion over the LED lights and the colors. Here is a picture of what they both look like. There are allot of differant colors but who is going to put a green light or a red light in their Airstream.

Here are what those two lights look like not installed.

Bright White

Warm White

The color produced is from how much current they send to the LED. The temperature is slightly warmer with the Bright white than the warm white but so little that it is hardly worth mentioning. Both produce far less then the Halogen. Waaaaaay less!!!!!!

The bright white has a slight blue tint to it and is suppose to be close to a true white. Some people like them better and some don't.

If you had a 12 in florescent light go out and you did not want to replace the Ballast and go with an LED replace you most likely would want to go with a warm white. Because it is very close to what the florescent light looks like.

Click here to see it on the Airstream Website.

I have seen a customer use Warm White in the living space and Bright white in closest and the overhead compartments of the CCD and looked very good.

The advantage of the LED is power consumption. If you camp where there are no hook ups or Wal-Mart parking lots these lights consume far less power and are allot easier on your battery.

If you are camping with hook ups, in the summer the lower heat produced by the LED will allow your AC to not have to work so hard to keep you cool. That can make a big difference on a very hot day when you’re not in the shade.

Dan
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #190
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Just the thought of red or green LEDs in a Airstream makes me ill...

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Dan,

Do you happen to know if the T-10 socket is what is used in the chandelier fixture over the dinette table in a 2005 Classic 30?

I know it is a wedge style automotive bulb, but I guess their may be different socket sizes for that style bulb. I am guessing that T-10 related to a particular socket size.

Thanks ........ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #192
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Yes it is a T10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Dan,

Do you happen to know if the T-10 socket is what is used in the chandelier fixture over the dinette table in a 2005 Classic 30?

I know it is a wedge style automotive bulb, but I guess their may be different socket sizes for that style bulb. I am guessing that T-10 related to a particular socket size.

Thanks ........ Brian.

Brain,

Yes it is a T10. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the length. We have a 2004 here on the lot that has all the room you would need for the 13 LED T10.

Click here to see more details about the T-10

Click here to see more details about the T-10

The above measurement in pink is what you need to be concerned about. The base of this light will stop at the end of the socket. That is how much room you will need for whatever light you get. For folks, other than Brain who asked the question ,the amount of space you have is important. If you only have room for a 9LED then that is what you need purchase. If you have room for a 13 LED light you may enjoy the extra light.

Dan
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
Brain,

Yes it is a T10. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the length. We have a 2004 here on the lot that has all the room you would need for the 13 LED T10.

Dan

Thanks Dan - I think I understand. With our style chandelier however, it has glass shades that are open at the top, so I don't think there would be any height restriction for the LED bulb.

Only thing would be that if the LED bulb assembly were taller than the shade, it wouldn't look too good sticking up above the shade!

Is that what you mean?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Photos of Factory Display

Here are the photos of the factory Display.

Stock Fixtures

LED's Group 1

LED's Group 2

Installed the Xtreme ceiling lights to replace the halogens. Asked about the warranty, 60 days from the factory or whatever additional the manufacturer allows. Hope I don't have to find out.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #195
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Price is even better here on the 10 LED units

LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light - recessed / flush mount
Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #196
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Airstream store 8-LED G-4 https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=357

Out of doors mart 9-LED G-4 LED Warm White light C9WW [C9WW] - ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Superbright 10-LED G-4 Product Listing - MR16

LEDTrailerLights.com 6 & 10-LED G-4 LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light - recessed / flush mount

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #197
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The photos posted above of the display at JC have a different price than the one a few days ago.

Gene
Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I used the SuperBriteLeds ALM-x6 to replace the over door light (thank you, AEROWOOD). It works really well, just one module puts out enough light. The only issue is, if you put it up too high in the cover, the angles don't work and no light gets directly on the step, but the area in front of the step is adequately illuminated. Note that you nee to install a plate inside the cover in order to mount the module and the terminal block (the module leads are fine wires that you need to terminate). This module draws only 0.021 amps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345 over door-s.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	90758

I'm testing the G4-CWHP10-D, a G4 replacement (many of you have previously commented on this module). Once again proving my ineptness, I ordered the cool white instead of the warm. However, if the warm module is similar, it is amazing. I can see no reduction in light output down to approximately 10.5 volts. The module still puts out enough light at 7 volts to be a good night light. It seems to be continuously dimable across this voltage range. At max brightness it draws 0.195 amps. At 7 volts it draws about 0.010 amps. This is in contrast to the original automotive bulbs in the 70s vent lights that draw 1.35 amps each.

This sucker is bright. I used a yellow and a light orange photo filter to see if I could "warm" it up some, and both filters worked well for this purpose. (Boy, do I hate that cool blue color!) In the photo, the module is installed in one of those small under-counter G4 fixtures (side mount socket).

Name:	IMG_0346 brite led-s.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	90759

Zep
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Because of the way I installed the over door light, I think a bit of light right on the step is warranted. SuperBrite's ALM-x3 seems like a good choice, but it draws 0.017 amps at 12 volts. That seems like a lot, compared to the mere 0.021 amps for the 6-LED module above the door. And way too much light.

After a bit of experimentation, it looks like the ALM-x3 in series with a 2.2K resistor is about right. It draws only about 1.5 milliamps (0.0015 amps) at 11.5 volts and still puts out plenty of light for the step. At 13 volts, the draw is still a little less than 2 milliamps. No really good Airstreamer is going to let his (or her) battery get below 11.5 volts, so I think this is a good solution--hook this light into the same circuit as the over door light with a small terminal block to provide a mount for the resistor.

Name:	IMG_0350 3-led-s.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	90766

Zep
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
That looks like the same unit I used for my license plate light. I'm still looking for interior LED fixtures for the crown, or at least something stylish that I can convert, and LED reading lights that can be adjusted like an airline ball light. I wish somebody (with a bigger fatter wallet then mine)would buy a whole bunch of different styles and types and then post a review. I"ve bought several that I though would be canidates, but will most likely use as closet lights etc.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccd, led, lighting