Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Mountain View , Hawaii
New Member from Hilo, Hawaii

Aloha Airstream Ohana,
We just bought a 1975 Sovereign from Oahu and towed her to our hale just yesterday. We paid $2500 plus another $1300 to ship to Hilo on YoungBrothers Barges. Since there are NO trailer parks in the Islands, it is rare to see any trailer much less an Airstream. She's in a bit of rough shape, after sitting in an upcountry Wahiawa pig sty for over 2 years and needs some serious restoration. All of the appliances appear to be in good shape, cushions have been recovered in Hawaiian tapa cloth and are clean, though. There is some nasty rotten plywood floor by the potty and hot water heater has disintegrated. We are real nouveau malihini Airstream owners and will certainly appreciate the help of the more seasoned folks on this forum. We hauled up the hill to the Olaa, Puna area with a 6cyl 1995 Jeep Cherokee. We were told by previous owner, equally clueless as ourselves, that she only weighed 3000 pounds. Jeep can pull 5000 pounds. Since she weighs over 6000, the Jeep nearly had a nervous breakdown hauling her from sea level to 1750foot elevation of our side of the volcano!
The avatar is a picture of our new baby girl parked at Honolulu Young Brothers waiting to be towed on to the barge.
Hokulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Aloha Hokulani! Welcome to the forum.
I don't know for sure, but I would bet that your trailer weighs more than your jeep by a good amount! Nice thing about Hawaii, not a lot of miles to travel to see the most beautiful places. What are your plans? Is this a guesthouse or do you plan to travel?
Whatever, it's all good. Congratulations on your new adventure!
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
a part you might need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokulani View Post
There is some nasty rotten plywood floor by the potty
Once you get around to working on her, don't spend too much time on salvaging that toilet flange. Most of the time, the orange metel ring is so rusted that it does little good toward adding strength.

Click here to see the flange.

Dan
Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hokulani, is not Hokulani a town ?

Glad you have found this site. I spent several years home ported at Pearl and have many friends from your great state. I have found the residents of Hawaii to be the most laid back and friendliest people of any place I have been. Please post pictures of you trailer and your camping adventures.

Aloha

Is Primo beer still be brewed?

Name:   images.jpeg
Views: 375
Size:  2.5 KB
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of great info here! My dad worked in the islands for several years, and I got to visit some. Good luck on the restoration. You can make it your own this way!

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Also, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. Do you have any pictures?
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Welcome! Sounds like your's has already had quite a journey. I would love to hear the inside story from your Jeeps point of view.... glad it turned out all right.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Welcome to the forums. We love your part of the world and were there last June. I would think that you have become a part of a small handful of trailer owners period let alone an Airstream. Thanks to the sole inter island control of Young Brothers Barges, they sure do add to your investment!
What ever your plans to do with her are, just be proud to be a streamer in Hawaii
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Welcome to the forums!! Always glad to have another un-met friend here!!

When the time comes for you to start your "make-over", you will find these folks have been there-done that. They tell all and show all. From the simple fixes, to the full monty. If they haven't done it, it can't be done!! An amazing resource and always willing to help with a problem as well as learn a new solution to an old one.
Please read and learn from some of the nicest folks I've had the pleasure to rub elbows with. Many include pictures of there adventures, a real help.

There are several dealers that post here as well. Get to know them and mine there experiences and learn what they have to offer.

And fair warning............PICTURES!!! We just love pictures..lol.

Again welcome!!

Dan & Sherry W.
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
mainlander request

aloha....we'll be on the big island at the end of Oct., do you have courtesy parking set up yet?? J.K. I think we'll be staying at the Hale Ohia cottages in the park! do I need to bring a hard hat?? joe q in Minnesnowda
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Aha..

Quote:
Aloha Airstream Ohana,
We just bought a 1975 Sovereign from Oahu and towed her to our hale just yesterday. Since she weighs over 6000, the Jeep nearly had a nervous breakdown hauling her from sea level to 1750foot elevation of our side of the volcano!
The avatar is a picture of our new baby girl parked at Honolulu Young Brothers waiting to be towed on to the barge.
Look, first..WELCOME TO THE FORUM..
Gosh, if you ever, ever gonna be so popular~!!
What a dream nd, location too~!!
Okay, business first..
Andy of InLandRV.Com..Who just LOVES TO FLY OVER and spend time in YOUR LOVELY SPOT (FOR ANY REASON what so ever), IS YOUR CONTACT POINT...If I may say, he is your best source for everything..repair advise etc..I betcha for a small ....you could get a team over for some of the work...lol, get my drift??
Don't tell Andy I told you...
Again, WELCOME
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Aloha and Welcome to the forum... It is so good to see you here and I think it is awesome you have an airstream in Hilo...My husband and I were just talking last week about moving and shipping our AS to Hawaii. Weird....
I would love to see pictures! We have a 76' sovereign and are in the middle of a big remodel. I would love to see the Tapa cushions. My husband is Polynesian and we have SO much stuff to decorate with from the islands, that will be the theme of our interior.
I laughed at the story about pulling her with your 6 banger....I could just see it. LOL
Your new baby looks like a beauty.....can't wait to see more pictures. Check out our blog www.airstreamremodel.blogspot.com on the right under archive click on 2008....that should bring up all the post so far.

You came to the right place for ANY and ALL questions you might have. A great bunch of folks...

Mahalo

P.S. Where are you going to park her? Are you going to live in her or camp or what? I think it's very exciting and you will for sure get a lot of looks!

Quote:
Aloha Airstream Ohana,
We just bought a 1975 Sovereign from Oahu and towed her to our hale just yesterday. We paid $2500 plus another $1300 to ship to Hilo on YoungBrothers Barges. Since there are NO trailer parks in the Islands, it is rare to see any trailer much less an Airstream. She's in a bit of rough shape, after sitting in an upcountry Wahiawa pig sty for over 2 years and needs some serious restoration. All of the appliances appear to be in good shape, cushions have been recovered in Hawaiian tapa cloth and are clean, though. There is some nasty rotten plywood floor by the potty and hot water heater has disintegrated. We are real nouveau malihini Airstream owners and will certainly appreciate the help of the more seasoned folks on this forum. We hauled up the hill to the Olaa, Puna area with a 6cyl 1995 Jeep Cherokee. We were told by previous owner, equally clueless as ourselves, that she only weighed 3000 pounds. Jeep can pull 5000 pounds. Since she weighs over 6000, the Jeep nearly had a nervous breakdown hauling her from sea level to 1750foot elevation of our side of the volcano!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Shaka Bro!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Hello and greetings from the Bluegrass State.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Aloha;
You are on the best forum to get replies on all the questions about Airstreams...
You are on the best place on earth and now, you 've got the best trailer... you're really lucky!

Best regards from FRANCE,
Our next trip in USA... HAWAIi in the end of september... may be see you there ?
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Mountain View , Hawaii
Aloha, It will probably be a guest house since sites to park a trailer would be non existant in this state! Hokulani
Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Mountain View , Hawaii
Its a bit more than a toilet flange. Its a very rotten floor next to a rotten hot water heater. The floor by the front door has rot too. It looks like we will be taking the "crash course" in Vintage Airstream restoration.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Mountain View , Hawaii
Aloha Kani and Jack, I hope you have a pile of cash to ship your baby over, cause I think it runs close to 5 figures to send them over on Matson from Los Angeles. Better check. In light of that cost, we feel we got our AS for a steal of a price. These babies are few and far between and once we get her restored she will be quite a curiosity around here. We are thinking she will be a guest cottage. I will try to get some pix up but she does not look camera ready at this time. Hokulani
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Mountain View , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Welcome! Sounds like your's has already had quite a journey. I would love to hear the inside story from your Jeeps point of view.... glad it turned out all right.
LOL The Jeep survived, even though the trans. was smoking all the way up the volcano side. The jeep had to stay on the shoulder since it could only go about 30 mph. The husband driving may have been much worse off than the vehicle though. But...the jeep lived to drive another day so all ended well. I will do my best to get some pix up. The AS is in pretty ruff shape though so consider the pix the "before" shots. Hoku
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Aloha

Yes it would be very expensive but once we win the lottery it shouldn't be a problem.
Using her as a guest house would be great. My husband Jack and I even thought about renting it to visitors of the island. Their are a lot of people that would rather stay in an airstream than a hotel. It would help pay you back for the cost of the remodel too.

Is your name Hokulani? Heavenly Star? It's a beautiful...one of my favs

Kani

Quote:
Aloha Kani and Jack, I hope you have a pile of cash to ship your baby over, cause I think it runs close to 5 figures to send them over on Matson from Los Angeles. Better check. In light of that cost, we feel we got our AS for a steal of a price. These babies are few and far between and once we get her restored she will be quite a curiosity around here. We are thinking she will be a guest cottage. I will try to get some pix up but she does not look camera ready at this time. Hokulani