Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #341
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Oakland , California
Send a message via AIM to bluegabs
hahaha negative?

serios?

if that wayward rant was negative, we arent the only ones around who need to 'let go'

of COURSE youve lost it.. isnt that the point?

some folks just cant grasp it...its ok, mebbe they will some day.
i think, in gneral, you can only be like minded to an extent... there are those who get it & those who dont.
BM isnt for everyone, nor is the vibe, the intention, the release, the expression, the joy & the gift itself.

i, for one, thought your post was a hoot & tho i proly wont be part fo the camp, will be close & can only hope to meet everyone involved... and mebbe hear the PA garble if im lucky.
bluegabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #342
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperPilot View Post
I will be a little more careful with my slang and craziness.
Now why would you go and do that
and dilute a perfectly good smack down?

I, for two, enjoyed the humorous rant...
well except for the morbidly nude visual.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:

We got a short period of time to let go. I'm going to let go, I deal with all this structure all the time - we all do. I hope you all grant yourself the license to let go...please. I never do, I need to more and so do you.

ok - I expect some crazy fun responses - I wanna laugh and get ready for the Burn now.
ok...
ready
set...
GO!!!
Craig and Mary,

Thank you for posting such a great message! We whole heartedly share your feelings! Go ahead and lose it-find it, and lose it all over again!

We've planned, got maps, got schedules and itineraries, excel'd this, pdf'd that. We're super excited as we go checking things off our list (in excel) and can't wait to get on playa time.

We love hippies, Sinatra, people who sing along with Sinatra, and even morbidly obese nekkid people (we'll try our best to avert our eyes but if drawn into a conversation will make a very concerted effort to look directly into their eyes).

You and everyone else who comes to the playa makes Burning Man such an awesome experience.

We can't wait to meet you and the rest of the happy campers!

Gemma and Murray
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #344
BBQ'd twinkies

1994 25' Excella
Reno , Nevada
Costumes etc..

Hey guys, how are you all doing? Been a while since I've logged on although I've been reading the posts. I see we've got our layout all figure out. Thanks guys! Did we ever decide on potluck night?

Have any of you guys had any luck with costumes? I need a little help. Any suggestions for my husband and myself? We are open to anything that doesn't contain nudity---we don't want to burn the retinas out of our fellow airstreamers eyeballs ya know.

Can't wait to see you all there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 136.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	63294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 155.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	63295  

KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #345
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
How can we help?

Hi Folks,
Bin and I have been off the thread for a bit but are getting excited about burning man!! I just discovered EL Wire and have been going crazy trying to wire up something fun for camp. Its my first go at EL Wire and portable solar charging systems so we will have to see how it goes.

Anyway, the layout looks great and we are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Are there common center camp supplies that are needed? Like EZ Ups, tables, etc?? I didn't see a list but I only went back about 8 pages. Also, is there going to be a final summary of critical details?
Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Doug & Bin ^2
DandB^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #346
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
We love hippies, Sinatra, people who sing along with Sinatra, and even morbidly obese nekkid people
Well, that's a relief.
Zenflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #347
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Compadres!
Hey, I just heard from a friend that my post concerning getting ready for the burn sounded negative and angry - I believe the quote was...."I think he has lost it"
WOW - what a jolt. I was totally excited, jazzed up, and so excited to get going when I wrote it - not one negative thought in sight. I was totally into our plans, its exceptional engineering and nerds like me are all over that. I have my own technical drawings (to scale) of my own camp too.

I was so very excited about what had gone on to this point and tried to make a point about "letting go" - hopefully helping someone else wrapped up in the day to day details accomplish the same. I don't let go - never. Man, do I need to... I'm wound way too tight.
I hope I didn't offend anyone, it was not my intent. Millions of comedians out of work and there I was trying to be funny - I should stick to my day job. I'm just ready to party like a rockstar with my homies.

ok - lets resume the party...
ready
set...
GO!!!!

So, sorry dudes. I will be a little more careful with my slang and craziness.
I've never been to BM and probably never will, but I thought your post was funny, and loose, and light-hearted, and dead-on, and great. It actually made me really want to go to BM. Maybe someday. I'm sure you're going to have a great time.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #348
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimW View Post
Hey guys, how are you all doing? Been a while since I've logged on although I've been reading the posts. I see we've got our layout all figure out. Thanks guys! Did we ever decide on potluck night?

Have any of you guys had any luck with costumes? I need a little help. Any suggestions for my husband and myself? We are open to anything that doesn't contain nudity---we don't want to burn the retinas out of our fellow airstreamers eyeballs ya know.

Can't wait to see you all there!

The ones you have on are fine

TGH
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #349
BBQ'd twinkies

1994 25' Excella
Reno , Nevada
Talking Bman costumes

Duh, thanks but those aren't costumes. We can't help it if we look er, weird. Oh, but that's what burningman is all about right?

So---if no one suggest where we can get an idea for costumes then we are going naked. And If you think our faces look weird, just wait until you see the rest!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #350
BBQ'd twinkies

1994 25' Excella
Reno , Nevada
What is EL Wire?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #351
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Mountains and Travel

My wife has an issue with traveling through the Rockies on our way to the Burn. It seems we may have a problem avoiding them coming from Ohio. Can anyone attempt to set her mind at ease with a description of the topography? She has visions of tight switchbacks, precarious dropoffs just off the roadway and steep downhills causing travel pulling the Airstream to be overly dangerous. I pointed out that we will be on an Interstate freeway but that did nothing to dissuade her.

I thought she was joking because she was raised near the Smokey Mountain area and is familiar with driving in similar conditions and I was really surprised that she is so serious that I figure out a way to get to the playa avoiding the mountains.

I suggested copious amounts of alchohol, but she insist that would not be prudent as she intends to be driving!

Help!!!

CT
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
If you come out through Wyoming, (80), you won't see any mountains, just hundreds of miles of straight road. If yo look hard in the distance maybe. Maybe a few long grades but nothing to look at. Check that out on your map. Oh maybe a canyon coming into Utah. Then turn right at the second exit in Fernley NV and you are there.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Gotta have El wire. just punch in El wire in the web search, you'll learn more than anybody knows about it. If you find it less than dollar a foot, let me know please.
Thanks
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #354
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Here's the 2008 map. I suggest we target the green area as first choice, then the yellow. If you're a late arrival, go to the intersection of Gremlin and 3:30 and start looking. Any other input? Does anyone know what the reserved rectangle to the SW of our target area is? Probably heavy metal bandstand 24 hours....

Dr Quark

Name:	black rock city-2008-parking.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	63618
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #355
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
walla walla , Washington
aloha

Aloha Peeps,
I haven't rapped with you in awhile, been busy workin' and all. I started polishing the Bambi, lots of work that. Got me a nice awning too - 200 dollars all told. Lemme know if you want to know where and all. It's old school, not a zip-dee-do-da type. I had to take it to Oregon camping, check it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5833.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	63652  
ChopperPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #356
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
walla walla , Washington
Donk

I took the Donk too...cause it is too cool with a big ole ghetto booty.
Admit it, its cool. I made some diamond plate awnings for it, and painted it with Rhino Liner so I could take it out into the woods fishing and exploring without messing it up. I figured this crew could appreciate it.
It also has the "girly girl kit" : a potty, power, and temper-pedic mattress.

Like Groove Armada's hit....the Donk
"I see you baby.....shakin that a--"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5834.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	63655  
ChopperPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #357
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
AirCon performance on-playa?

Hey,

First time poster, five-time burner...

I've taken many RV's to the playa, but all new-ish. Now I'm planning on taking my newly-purchased '82 AS 280 (applause...) and am wondering how the original ac units are going to hold up in midday heat. Should I upgrade at least one of them to the Carrier 15,000 Btu unit that everyone seems to love?

Much appreciated,

/dalefox
dalefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The original 13K BTU unit on my 1975 Sovereign did fine last year. Besides, you only need it during the dust storms. The rest of the time it's pleasant, even at 96 degrees (which is only for the mid-afternoon), if you're in the shade.

Zep
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #359
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
Shade? Where, exactly, in the middle of Black Rock City do you find shade?? Unless you're talking about putting up an entire shade structure over your airstream. Which sounds like quite a project...
dalefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #360
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Is there a consensus yet on where the early arrivals are going to meet prior to entering the playa? Or are we grabassn? I can work with either, just want to be able to help set up the perimeter if needed, should arrive Gerlach area mid day Sun barring unforseen (Burn or Bust!)
We are coming from the east on 80, should we go to Reno and turn North or get off 80 at Winnemucca and take the local roads due West?
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote