Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
2air---You make a point I had not concidered. I have never owned one but did always concider them to be top of the line, seen the vidio, read the literature, talked to owners. In the past I have said that I felt they were unnecessary when towing a smaller trailer or with a heavy tow vehicle to trailer ratio. I STAND CORRECTED!!!! I do not know that from experience but assumed it to be so. I probably came to that conclusion because most I've seen have been on larger heavier trailers. Like I say, I ASSUMED such. I'll not mention the brand I purchased as it's not the subject of this thread. If asked how mine performs I can tell you, but in all honesty I can't tell you how it compares to yours or anyone elses I,ve never used.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
really price is more of an issue for non owners...i wonder why?
'cuz we can't afford 'em??

Quote:
so i guess all mac owners suffer from that syndrome too?
yeah, pretty much. But the mac doesn't cost "that" much more than others.

Quote:
...no sway, no wind, no push, no white knuckle driving....
me neither. that's the whole point.

Quote:
...so like many mac users 'held hostage'....but being more productive?
They aren't. any time saved is typically eaten up by the hoops through which they have to jump in order to collaborate with the rest of the world. But thats another subject for another thread...

If a mac is like a Ha-Ha...does it only work on 5% of the roads? (yeah, I know...and if it were a pc, you'd have to keep stoping and rolling the windows down and back up, for no apparent reason...).
"Fine, I'll take one", said the long-haul trucker, who spends 99.9% of his time on such roads...
Lots of things can affect one's perspective.
I recently toured some shiny new Airstream trailers. I took a glance at the price tag on one of them...it was not the most expensive Airstream, either. But anyway, after I regained consciousness, I thought, "gosh, thats expensive". Someone else might think its a bargain. And for that person, with a new ~$50k tug to pull their ~$80k, the "ha-ha" is a "sure, throw one of them in, wouldja?" item. For me? not so much...

As for my opinion not being valid because I don't own one...well, I disagree. (surprise! ). You don't buy a ha-ha to get something...you buy it to get RID of something. (sway, push, "white knuckle driving"). I already have none of those things, and I didn't have to pay 3g to get there. can't get less than "0".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
You don't buy a ha-ha to get something...you buy it to get RID of something. (sway, push, "white knuckle driving"). I already have none of those things, and I didn't have to pay 3g to get there. can't get less than "0".
Absolutely terrific and persuasive argument. Thanks for the insight!!!

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Look at the Equal-i-zer for your rig. Your tow vehicle and tailer are the right set-up to efficiently utilize the Equal-i-zer. I have used this hitch and pulled my A/S for over 5000 miles already this year with out so much as a wobble. No sway in passing or being passed by semi's at speed on the interstate or on two lane back roads. It's easy to hitch and un-hitch. Just my humble opinion.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #25
_

. , .
well mike

drifting further afield in hopes of an anchor?

from hostage syndromes to a theory on theroies?

the razor is a principle for dealing with competing theories...
so IF the discussion was sway/yaw and how to reduce it...
or explain the ideal hitch...
or explain antisway
or explain how a haha works
or explain why there is such an anti haha view from those that have never used one...

the razor might apply.

but this isn't a thread on theory...
and the razor doesn't address experience....
emprical, practical, actual or any other sort...

the only way the razor can be twisted to apply is...
if shopping for a specific brand product...
1. seek opinions from those that have used it....
2. seek opinions from those that haven't....

pick one?

now this is much different than...
'if shopping for a general category of products, and considering all brands..."

see the difference?

the razor concept might be twisted to suggest
'when considering a brand stick to brand owners, current or past'

so thanks for supplying support for my statement...to ignore comment from those that have never owned or used a hensley...IF asking about the hensley...

chuck...no where did i type your opinion isn't valid...
so who are you disagreeing with?

for a given product/brand IF you have never used the specific product/brand....those opinions aren't helpful evaluating the specific product/brand....so my statement stands...

it is too bad folks can't freely and easily sample all brands of hitch....
i've read comments from many who have used an assortment....almost without fai, everyone that tries the haha recalibrates their brains for a new definition of zero...

promoting a brand one has used and comparing it to other brands one has used is useful....

neither of you are doing this...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
chuck...no where did i type your opinion isn't valid...
so who are you disagreeing with?
you said "ignore comments from those who have never owned or used a Hensley". twice. why else would you say that?

Quote:
...for a given product/brand IF you have never used the specific product/brand....those opinions aren't helpful evaluating the specific product/brand....so my statement stands...
but thats not what we're doing. we're trying to achieve a goal of 0 sway, not evaluate a specific product against itself. I've achieved that goal without a Ha-ha. Nobody is "dissing" the ha ha itself; I'm sure its a ~fabulous~ device, and everyone that owns one loves it. Thats fine. We're just saying that you can get "0 sway" for le$$, using a similar trailer/tv combination. I don't own a Saturn-V rocket, but I'm pretty confident in saying that I don't need that kind of horsepower. I'm not planning any trips to the moon. The old 318 is more than adequate, and a darn site more economical.

Quote:
...everyone that tries the haha recalibrates their brains for a new definition of zero...
So I've got a sway problem...and I just don't know it???? well, ya got me, there. I don't know what to say to that.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhorne
We just purchased a 2007 25' Safari LS SE with the bunk bed option. We are interested in the Hensley Hitch. Any thoughts on this type of hitch?

Beth
Wow this is starting to sound like a diesel -vs- gas thread .. So back to Beth's question.... First congrats on your new purchase Beth... pictures needed when she arrives, I'd like to see that bunk option. Second... I don't own a Hensley I gave it some serious consideration... for whatever it is worth, I believe it is an outstanding product...but again I can’t offer a qualified opinion. I noticed you have not asked anyone for opinion or thoughts on other brands are you considering other hitch systems? If yes, I'll can share my opinion on the Equal-i-zer brand. Best of luck
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
One reason some of us have commented on non-Hensley hitches is that the question was asked about "this type of hitch." I interpret this to mean weight-distribution hitches with anti-sway, anti-roll features. Seems reasonable to consider various alternatives if the desire is to eliminate sway or roll or other unsafe dynamic conditions while towing.

Quote:
We just purchased a 2007 25' Safari LS SE with the bunk bed option. We are interested in the Hensley Hitch. Any thoughts on this type of hitch?

Beth

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
My hubby has chosen to install it himself. Should be interesting. Good Luck with your Airstream.
Dah....I just answered my own question from my last post.... you don't need opinions on other brands you've already purchased a Hensley so it sounds like you are all set Beth.... Happy Airstreamin'
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #30
_

. , .
hi myoung and others

sure it is reasonable to interpret the question as you have and follow that with insights on any brand or make, as you fancy.

suggesting because we've forked over 3k haha owners are some how brainlessly held hostages and want others to pay and suffer as we do isn't fair.

i interpreted the question more narrowly. type of hitch for me suggested the '4 link fixed side virtual pivot point' hitch that the haha is....

no others are of this type, from my investigations.

functional equal is hotly debated. so debate the merits if you must...

the follow up, which is before either of us posted, is again only regarding the hensley. they have purchased it and are installing it.

when/if it comes time for them to ask questions about adjustments or other features related to the hensley... who's comments should they consider?

1. users current or past
2. non users

that was and is the point of my original declaration...

now that i own a mac.
i go to the apple store.
i ask mac people. or former mac people. or unix people, or next people if i can find any....
and so on.
i'm not debating the merits of pc/mac...i want user help.

i want mac paint!
i want binary photoshop now!
i want my tax program in mac format!
i want acdsee on the mac...iphoto is clunky 2 me!
i want the wireless router to print AND scan!
i want it ALL!

breath.....breath.....

cheers
2air'

there are multiple threads here on other hitch options. plenty of wisdom and experience with all sorts of towing setups.

but i still think it is a curious and unique 'syndrome' that nonusers think their experience with other products qualifies them in the least on the haha...

my only thought on 'can't get less than zero' is......'you don't know what you are missing!'

say amen somebody!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #31
allen

2005 25' Safari
gainesville , Georgia
Hensley Hitch

I love it. Feel very secure when trucks pass. not any motion. have a 25 ft safari. allen
allen waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #32
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
when/if it comes time for them to ask questions about adjustments or other features related to the hensley... who's comments should they consider?

1. users current or past
2. non users

that was and is the point of my original declaration...
well, thats entirely different. BUT...
Quote:
...but i still think it is a curious and unique 'syndrome' that nonusers think their experience with other products qualifies them in the least on the haha...
I did see a rig earlier this year, A/S and hensley...when the unit was all hooked up and ready to go, the truck's nose was pointed skyward, and the trailer's tounge was pointed down. I'm no expert, but would I have been wrong to say, "gee, I don't think that's right"?

Quote:
my only thought on 'can't get less than zero' is......'you don't know what you are missing!'
I wonder...if I bought a hensley, would I get some kind of anti-sway "account", where the extra anti-sway that I don't need and wouldn't actually use would build up, and I could use it against future sway occurances?
like when you have a big solar array on your roof that generates more electricity than you use, it feeds out on the power lines, making your electric meter run backwards, and the utility sends you a check?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
One reason some of us have commented on non-Hensley hitches is that the question was asked about "this type of hitch." I interpret this to mean weight-distribution hitches with anti-sway, anti-roll features. Seems reasonable to consider various alternatives if the desire is to eliminate sway or roll or other unsafe dynamic conditions while towing.
I'm not taking sides but about,"this type of hitch" but I interpreted this to be the Hensley that was in question here. I based this on the fact the Hensley is different than conventional anti sway weight dist. hitches.--pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hensley Hitch

Quote:

Beth
Hi, Beth. I personally don't own a Hensley Arrow Hitch, but if that's in your mind, buy it. My hitch came free with my trailer and works great for me. So I didn't need to ask about any thoughts on hitches. But the Hensley has a great following and testimony. A friend of mine has the same hitch as I do and I quote, "If this hitch does not work out, then we will have no other choice than to spend the bucks and buy a Hensley Arrow" This was my statement and because our hitches worked well for us, we did not change. As with anything new to you, you may have some difficulties useing this hitch. I also had difficulties with my hitch too until I got more experience with it. Some people might be too proud to admit their hitch was frustrating to operate at first; Not me, another camper came over to help hook mine up on my first back-in, park next to, on an angle, and slopeing camp site. Now I can be the one to help out someone new. And already have.
Enjoy your new trailer. Next year when I retire, I would like to meet, in person, all of my friends on this forum.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Stridant?! Oh sure!

Hello all -

Been reading the thread with the usual interest - and found all 'the usual suspects' with all the 'usual' themes.... It is SO nice when everything follows true to form.

All the comments around the Hensley also follow the 'usual' pattern. Some love em, some don't see the point ($'s, difficulty, etc), and lots don't know or care as their hitch works for them. All the hand wringing and huffiness seem a bit over the top - but then that is the style for some folks.

Chuck - Liked the comment "Gee, that just doesn't seem right".... I'll back you on that comment each and every time, even if you aren't a ''haha" card carrying certified user with 3 technical courses under your belt. I would have the same comment! Every time !

Related to the Hensley, to the vehicle attitudes, the tire inflation, etc....

Then it is up to the hitched individual to look at it and decide if it is 'right for them' or if that nosy so and so oughta get another hobby.

The vast majority of enlightened folks - say "THANKS!" and move on. I know that I feel better for what I have done inspite of the lack of an "Expert" or "Owner" designation.

Just few things I felt that needed to be said. Thanks for listening and reading this far.

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
HA Alignment?

I don't own a HA. My present setup is with a Reese dual cam. I have never noticed any sway at all when towing my 25 ft FB with an F250 Crew cab 4x4. I have frequently passed 18 wheelers from the opposite direction on two lane roads at ~70 mph and assumed they were doing about the same. There was absolutely no noticable buffeting or sway.

Yesterday while traveling across the Texas panhandle without my trailer in tow there was a very strong cross-wind. Although I still noticed nothing unusual I wondered what it would be like if I had been towing. I have been in some pretty strong cross-winds with my trailer, but I'm not sure I have been in any that strong. I began to think again about an HA.

My main reason for not going to an HA already is concern about alignment while hitching up on an unlevel surface. Admittedly, this is no problem when on a nice level spot, but I frequently boondock. Thus the surface is very often unlevel and the TV is not on the same plane as the trailer. I have also stayed in a state park that had paved spots that had an angle at the hitching point. The trailer was level but the TV was on an upward slope. I see this as a real problem in hitching an HA without first removing the entire hitch.

I would like to hear from those who have experience with this and how you handle it. I looks to me to be potentially a real PITA.

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #37
_

. , .
hi ed/buzzy4....

i'm gonna try to answer your question...
or at least offer my views...

but not in this thread.

stay tuned....

cheers
2air'