Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Finally! I can post again. Just not via Mozilla.
Thinking about going. My only reservation is keeping the dog locked up all weekend.
Would anybody be interested in camping next to me & devoting some of the space to a dog pen? How big do those collapsible things go?
No need to lock up the dog all weekend! We'll be there with two standrad poodles. Those collapsible things are sold as X-pens or exercise pens. Standard size is eight panels of two foot each.... sixteen linear feet
We do overkill with the amount we carry... usually put out about three or four of them clipped together, and change configuration to suit us and the site. We also use thick plastic electric fence stakes, and bungee cord the x-pens to the to the stakes.
If you decide to go that route, remember setting up the pens will be counter intuitive..... you do NOT want them to be rock solid! You want them to be just a little it shakey.... dogs son't trust wiggly stuff and will stay farther away than if they are solid!
And for what it's worth, those X pens come in different heights... I think most of ours are forty two inches!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Defunct Brewhouses

I have been familiar with Glueks being a quality local brew in Minneapolis. Historical rotgut in Minneapolis was Potosi -- $1.99/case of returnables. Potosi, WI, beer was pure swill and tied your stomach into knots -- even after only 1 or 2. It died in 1972. Googling now I see they are engaging in a bit too much nostalgia -- restoring the brewery, etc.

Another Midwest rotgut was Fox Deluxe. On moving to Lake Wobegon country I became familiar with their home company, Cold Spring brewery. Yes, Fox Deluxe was their cheap brand. Cold Spring strong beer had a sticker on the longneck that said "VIM" until the know-it-all feds said you couldn't give intelligence or athletic prowess claims to liquor. Moore deregulayshun eye alwayz sed...

All these brews made Hauenstein seem just okay. Small town breweries have struggled and generally died in this area. Cold Spring is hanging on -- after failing with 'Billy Brew', bottling water did not succeed. But I can confirm a smaller capacity staff is keeping busy -- http://www.gluek.com/

Could I go into a local establishment or store and actually find Glueks fifteen miles up the road from Cold Spring? In this day of quality microbrews I honestly do not think I could... ahhh, the insane success of Ben & Jerry's when local dairies/breweries are dying on the vine.....

Oh yeah, Midwest.... Summer.... The folks between Mpls & Chicago just got pasted with 9-10" of snow in the last 24. Thanks for the efforts Jack!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I know why I started to post. One mellow airedale. And one busybody Corgi gonna herd all y'all's dogs!

Excuse me. It wasn't "VIM" on the longnecks. They said "PEP."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
busybody pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I know why I started to post. One mellow airedale. And one busybody Corgi gonna herd all y'all's dogs!

"
Good luck to your Corgi.. we've got two Jack Russell Terrorists in attendance :-)
Old 02-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Parson Russell Terrors

Corgis are tough, but sensitive. They are no match for the 'berserker' of the canine genus... . Susie once took our corgi to an obedience class shared by an owner who wanted to keep their two Jack Russells from fighting each other. Their human dropped out in desperation after the 2nd class...

I'm coming as myself and the dogs will stay in the background if they choose to tussle.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am sad to say that my wife and I need to take off our names for the rally. Last year I had signed up to be a park hoist at our favorite state park in Wisconsin and yesterday the ranger called and offered me the month of June. We were really looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun but the prospect of a month in Pike Lake was too great to pass up.
I invite anyone travelling through Wisconsin to or from the rally to stop at the park for a night or as many as you want. This is part of the famous Kettle Moraine area of Wisconsin and is simply beautiful. The campground is small, only 40 spaces, but most are secluded and wooded. The facilities are superb and I guarantee that your fire ring will be clean when you arrive. We will be there from may 31 through July 5th. The link to the park is below.
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...ake/index.html
By the way I will also be hosting at the end of the season at one of the most dramatic parks we have in our state, Wyalusing State Park along the Mississippi River just North of Prairie Du Chien. I will be there for the month of October which is out of this world in color and scenery. The park is on top of the bluffs overlooking the river.
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/wyalusing/
Old 02-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Corgis are tough, but sensitive. They are no match for the 'berserker' of the canine genus... . Susie once took our corgi to an obedience class shared by an owner who wanted to keep their two Jack Russells from fighting each other. Their human dropped out in desperation after the 2nd class...

I'm coming as myself and the dogs will stay in the background if they choose to tussle.
My pups are actually pretty good; they're not wild yo-yo's. One is very timid and the other one knows NO fear. but is deaf. They're a great pair. and GREAT camping. They're both always in harness.

They also don't fight much; they specifically have "chewie envy".. there can be 59 chewies on the floor and Dilly's always got the BEST one. That turns nasty, occasionally, especially when she insists on shoving her BEST chewie into Dephne's face to prove a point.

I don't know much about Corgis, but I know they're something special. What were they bred for?

In any case, this is the great thing about camping.. you CAN bring your dogs. Don't forget lots of film, too!

We're all going to have a nice time.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:58 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
I don't know much about Corgis, but I know they're something special. What were they bred for?
I should have included that both Susie & I are attending... Corgis? Don't laugh here -- they are cattle dogs. Not sheep. Cattle. The short size kept them away from kicking hooves. She thinks our 70# airedale needs to be herded -- very watchful and attentive, nips at heels and neck, can't go outside without her "charge" in tow. Family members are in her herd and she waits by the door if one of us is not home in the evening.

No, we'll get along ... . Our corgi watches her 'alpha' for instructions even if her better instincts say to get wild.

Days are getting longer -- sun is getting warmer!! Lookin' forward to this!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
I should have included that both Susie & I are attending... Corgis? Don't laugh here -- they are cattle dogs. Not sheep. Cattle. The short size kept them away from kicking hooves. She thinks our 70# airedale needs to be herded -- very watchful and attentive, nips at heels and neck, can't go outside without her "charge" in tow. Family members are in her herd and she waits by the door if one of us is not home in the evening.

No, we'll get along ... . Our corgi watches her 'alpha' for instructions even if her better instincts say to get wild.

Days are getting longer -- sun is getting warmer!! Lookin' forward to this!
WHY would we laugh at Corgis herding cows.. MINIATURE Border Collies can do it, too. We had one when the boys were very small children and she herded them everywhere, as well as collected rocks in a pile by the back door. She was wonderful. We had her for 14 years. Then we got an Aussie Cowdog, because both boys ran long distance in high school and she went training with them, and we ran and jogged, and now the boys are gone, we've turned into two WEIRD old people with two WEIRD little dogs. With an aluminum camper :-)
Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #50

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I am sad to say that my wife and I need to take off our names for the rally.
Sorry you won't be there, but when the govt. calls.........Maybe next year!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Oh NO!

DARN! We lost the Chaplain! I'm really sorry because we were looking forward to meeting new people. I hope we're able to meet up another time.

That's not to say we won't be happy to see OLD friends, too :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I am sad to say that my wife and I need to take off our names for the rally. Last year I had signed up to be a park hoist at our favorite state park in Wisconsin and yesterday the ranger called and offered me the month of June. We were really looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun but the prospect of a month in Pike Lake was too great to pass up.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Any agenda for the weekend beyond the lighter fluid pyre event in pics?

We are interested in coming down from Chicago for the weekend and although we are not super organizational freaks (beyond knowing how to fit everything in the AS perfectly for long-hauls), we were interested in the agenda for the weekend. If it is very loose with lots of personal time for fishing etc that is cool just let us know. This will be a good follow up to our Easter Arizona trek in April. Looks like past events have been a solid time for all.

Silver Swedes,

Erikson & Sloane
Jensen, Ellison, and Ranger
Old 02-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #53

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla2Go
we were interested in the agenda for the weekend. If it is very loose with lots of personal time for fishing etc that is cool just let us know. Silver Swedes,

Erikson & Sloane
Jensen, Ellison, and Ranger
Yes there is lots of free time. Essentially the only organized activities are the campfire and movies, the open house tour of trailers (if you wish to participate) on Saturday after 12:00 PM and the 6:00 PM potluck and campfire that night. Feel free to participate in what ever you want. This is a nice campground so explore to your hearts content.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
free time

And don't forget that Bloomington is not far away at all, for shopping and restaurants, if wanted.

We won't have to leave the Rally for Special Olympics this trip, (different weekend) so we'll have more time to do nothing.. which is a GOOD thing.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #55
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A few of us are going here on Sunday after the rally for a few days.....sort of a post or extension of the main rally so to speak:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt...de.htm#Camping

Though this place doesn't take reservations, it's a pretty big park. Anyone that wants to come is very welcome to join us. We'll be caravaning out of Moraine View to Savanna which is about 2 hours away. It's also near Galena and Grants home:

http://www.galenachamber.com/

http://www.granthome.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Extra Days

I'm glad to know that they (Savannah) don't take reservations because we won't know if we can do the extra caravan trip until just about the last moment.

(not to be confused with Moraine View, which DOES take reservations)

It all depends on our work, and it's just too far away to know anything now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
A few of us are going here on Sunday after the rally for a few days.....sort of a post or extension of the main rally so to speak:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt...de.htm#Camping

Though this place doesn't take reservations, it's a pretty big park. Anyone that wants to come is very welcome to join us. We'll be caravaning out of Moraine View to Savanna which is about 2 hours away. It's also near Galena and Grants home:

http://www.galenachamber.com/

http://www.granthome.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Lighter Fluid Pyre

Ummm.. greetings to Valhalla...

something you should know.. you're not the only Swedes around and heap big Oly didn't use very much lighter fluid. It was a funeral Pyre. (kidding)

Vikings are fire-builders extraordinaire :-)

But when we get around to talking about food, we are NOT going to go Scandinavian. One round of Lutfisk and/or Kroppkakor per lifetime is ENOUGH.

Now I'm expecting a comment from Norbert's Peanut Gallery ;-)

The Holmbergs and their Mighty Mutts
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Confirmation (not that kind, this kind)

We got our confirmation today.

P41

Dennis
Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Unhappy Sorry, but we will not be able to make it.

Sorry Jack,
We have another commitment that weekend. We had a great time last year.
The weather was perfect and the fellow 'streamers were fun.
AIR#2276
Old 02-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #60

Fenton , Missouri
Smile Official Announcement

OK folks, reservations are now open for our 4th annual Midwest Airstreamforums rally on June 9th-11th. at Moraine View State Park in LeRoy Illinois. This park is just south east of Bloomington Illinois, fairly center for many of us in the Midwest.

For those of you thinking of coming for the first time, I'll answer a few questions. First you don't have to have an Airstream to camp with us. Secondly you can stop by and see us if you wish even though you may not wish to camp. Finally if you want to come earlier or stay later, mark that on your reservation forms. Many of us will be there on Thursday the 8th.

All sites have electric. No direct sewer or water hookups. There are a couple of water outlets in our camping area so bring your hoses with you. If you run dry we can always do a hose brigade and fill you up. There are two dump stations, one next to our camping loop and the second near the entrance of the park.

You need to make your own reservation so follow this link to get to the calendar section for the rally. From the rally page you will find information about the park, directions, a campsite reservation form, pictures from previous years, and a link back to this thread. There is also link that you can click on to show that you will be attending. Obviously we have a lot of folks already who have shown their interest. You will need to send in a deposit for your site. $5 of that fee is a one time service charge that is not refundable. The balance is refunded if you cancel. Discounts for handicapped, and seniors are only available to Illinois residents.

Click here for campground information, reservation forms and other information.

Be sure you write Airstream Group somewhere on the top of your reservation form. The park folks will assign us sites together when they see this on the form. Note that we have no lock on our sites until a reservation is made. So understand others requesting specific sites not affiliated with us may be in our midst. This is why its important to get your reservation in early. If you have to cancel, and you give proper notice, you only will lose $5 of your deposit.

At this point I know that 4 sites are already reserved. A07, A08, P40, and P41 are reserved at this time. Please post your confirmation or send me a private message. If you don't want me to public post your confirmation and site, I will honor that request. I do need to know though if you are coming since it will affect the availability of our give aways. If I don't know you are coming until I get there, you might not get a give away.

Activities will include campfires, movies on the side of an Airstream, a trailer open house (optional), and pot luck dinner on Saturday night. I'll post the pot luck information as we get closer to the rally date.

The campground has a full bath house with showers and a lake for fishing or swimming. A kids playground is also available.

Last year the park sold out and we did have some folks who wanted to attend but couldn't get in so be sure you reserve early. As time gets closer you can call the park to verify space available. Please note that we have also invited the Greater St. Louis WBCCI unit to attend. I'm expecting possibly 10 units coming from this side. So it is very well feasible that we could reach 40 units this year. No typical WBCCI agenda though, no funny hats.....unless you have some that you want to wear!! Togas are optional.

I don't know about you all, but I'm ready and believe me the time will be here in an eye blink. See you all there!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Closed Thread