Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

NUTONE Food Blender ????

F.Y.I.
I am having switch problems with my Nutone countertop blender. The knob pulls off of the post rather than turn on. Tried to fix it and not coming out to good yet. I need to remove the whole unit and that looks like a real project. I think a Chain saw and Sledge hammer and Hot wrench would be the best route at this time.

I was able to track down some information for anyone who is working on there unit.

R & I Enterprises,Inc, 3650 Turtlecreek rd., Lebanon,OH 45036
Phone 1-800-525-7194. I was also able to get a complete parts list for the
unit off of the computer. They are models 250 or 251 updated parts lists are #251.
Go to"sales@rinutonedist.com" and look for Nutone parts. it took me a while
to figure it out but I did get it. The have a lot of parts in stock and even
tho the parts list may say obsolite they told me to check with them anyway.
The R&I Ent. bought all the parts and supplies left over when Nutone stop
making the unit.

I did read a post about one of the members talking about the removal of
his blender unit. I will have to go back and try it again.

Hope this helps someone.
Signed: mixednuts
Old 11-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Blender question....

Orlando et al -

Thanks for the NUTONE info. Made me think of the NUTONE set-up that is in my unit. Have a '92 with the countertop set up. Any idea which NT unit I have? Or, how can I tell which unit I have? Guess that perhaps I could get upsidedown under the counter and look, but this is easier?! Just wondering.... Thanks!

Is there anything particular about thses units that I should know if I do go the Ebay route? This place is a wealth of info...!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
I had a similar problem. The knob would turn but was sliding around the stem. The stem was frozen in one position.

I took off the knob and using vice grips, grabbed the stem, sprayed some lithium on the stem and turned it until it freed up. The knob had stripped so I cut some tiny pieces of metal to insert into the slot where the knob fits on to the stem to shape the opening to fit the flat sides of the stem and slid it back on. Worked like a charm.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Neutone Blender

Hello Silvertoy

Thanks for the question. From what I can gather from the company
all the later models are model 251 I really cannot tell what the difference
is between 250 and the 251. Later models will be the 251. I haven't
had time to get more involved with my repair on this unit so will have to see
what I can engineer. lI hope this helps you out.

Thanks Mixednuts
Old 11-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Blender - WHAT for???

Orlando et al -

So pray tell, what is it that you use that HANDY blender for???? Recipies?

Hoping for something good!!!! Absinthe anyone?

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Blender

Hello,

Well we don't use it for a lot of things. While in Florida the last two
winters (March) we bought nice looking strawberries and tried to eat them
by normal mashing with a fork or spoon to eat with biscuits. They were so
hard we couldn't mash them with out bending the tools. I finally tried
the blender--just add the amount of berries and the sugar they need and
blast them in the blender for about 5 or 10 seconds at the most and that
leaves them with some lumpy texture that is preferred with shortcake or
what ever. Worked good. I am having switch problems now but
I am sure I can solve it. We will use it for other things I am sure. They
also work good for grinding ice cubes and orange juice together.

Thats if for now

Mixednuts
Old 11-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Please put away the chainsaw. The Nutone comes out easily, I have provided a link for you below that has pictures and step by step instructions.
Your control switch is broken. This can be replaced with little problem from a company on eBay. Just do a search for Nutone food center. They have the switch on auction all of the time.
Here is your forum link:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ntrol-423.html
Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #8

Aliso Viejo , California
Control Knob Problems

There is a fabricated replacement pin to remedy the problem of the control knob not operating the Nutone Power Unit. Go to eBay and look for "Nutone 251 Food Center Replacement Power Switch Knob Pin"
dquerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Some years ago, I was able to find a NOS switch assembly and NOS knob on ebay. The replacement took under an hour to accomplish, and no chainsaw was involved.

Recently, our AS underwent a generator transplant, but when it was returned after the procedure I noticed that the Nutone control knob just spun uselessly. Investigation determined that the switch stem had been broken. <insert bad words here>

After fruitlessly searching ebay for a new switch assembly, I called R & I. Bottom line: they "glued" in the broken switch stem (which is always the part that fails on these things) and returned the repaired switch, with knob, for about $100. The switch now works fine, and the knob fits snugly enough to turn the switch, but *not* snugly enough to pull the switch stem into the on position. R & I offered another repair, but I've opted to raise the pin with rubber-handled needle-nose pliers and then use the knob to control the rheostat. Fool me once.

FWIW, my advice to anyone who has one of these units in working condition is to tape a cover over it whenever the AS interior is to be worked on. Otherwise, the knobs become irresistible screw holders. That's fine for the dummy knob, but it's likely to prove fatal for the switch control stem.

What use is the Nutone in the first place? If you have the ice crusher attachment, the answer should be obvious. :-) There are other useful attachments for it, including a blender and a mixer. On the other hand, if we were going to upgrade our kitchen countertop, I'd think long and hard about whether I really wanted to re-install the Nutone.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

Aliso Viejo , California
Nutone 251 Food Center Replacement Power Switch Knob Pin

Windfallsp,

Go to eBay again. My apologies. Everyone of the pins I had fabricated had sold out. It took time to fabricate some more. I have another ten listed and have another eleven on standby.

I am going to the site now to adjust the OBO lowest acceptable price, on the "Buy It Now" offering for you only. (I'll be looking for "Windfallsp")

I entered the description below right onto the eBay search and it pops right up. I even entered it into the Google search and it pops right up also.

Nutone 251 Food Center Replacement Power Switch Knob Pin

I'll go low on the price for your troubles. I won't extend that offer after that. I just want your machine to operate without a pair of pliers. You won't need a chain saw but, you'll need a steady hand, lots of slow steady force, no wiggle and/or wobble under stress, (lest you snap off the switch metal stem and render your unit in worse condition than when you started), to align the control knob low and high speed dial with the pin and knob and switch.

David Querns
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Woodbury , New Jersey
Thanks, Dave. I'm glad to hear that your switch stems have been selling well! The price is good (for anyone with a broken switch stem who hasn't already plunked down over a $100 for an only partially-adequate repair), and your fix doesn't require shipping the switch itself.

I'm a little hesitant to try removing the stem that R & R "repaired" in order to install one of yours, though: it appears to be glued in with a big hunk of dark gray epoxy. I'd hate to make matters worse. What do you think?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #12

Aliso Viejo , California
That is a tough call without seeing it. Use a sharp razor blade type toll to slowly and carefully carve/ cut away the epoxy and old pin.

I'll mail you a replacement pin so you have it ready once you've removed the old one. If it works, mail me back a check. david.querns@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dquerns View Post
That is a tough call without seeing it. Use a sharp razor blade type toll to slowly and carefully carve/ cut away the epoxy and old pin.

I'll mail you a replacement pin so you have it ready once you've removed the old one. If it works, mail me back a check. david.querns@gmail.com
Dave, I really appreciate your generous offer, but I'm basically chicken. (I'm afraid that the epoxy extends into the switch, and if I try to shave it out, I'll seriously mess things up.)

I use the NuTone so seldom that I can live with the pliers hack. If I were starting from the point of having the broken pin in my hand (as opposed to glued-forever into the switch), I'd definitely take you up on your offer -- and I'd recommend your replacement pin to anyone else who's starting from scratch.

Thanks again!